Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

College Football

fozcycle

On 7/4/2021 at 10:41 PM, Shankster said:

I’ve already responded, but I feel like this is the year.  A breakthrough will happen, I will write it down… someone gets fired.

Maybe the equipment manager, but never Homeboy Jimmy.

Harbaugh GIF - Harbaugh - Discover & Share GIFs

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 5 weeks later...

One of college footballs legendary coaches and unique characters.  Bobby Bowden and FSU were made for each other.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 3 weeks later...

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Lol amazing.   Though this SC grad feels like we were Thor 15 years ago, not today.  Today we're maybe Loki instead... just pretenders.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

Let's go Buckeyes!!! O-H-I-O Ok, I get it. It's easy rooting for one of the biggest of the big boys.

My outlook for the season, beyond expecting a Big 10 title revolves around 2 things. First is the expanded playoff. If you thought there was a big strength gap in team quality, the playoff has only increased that by elevating another half-dozen teams above everyone else (OSU, Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, ND, and Georgia/LSU). I love the playoff over the BCS and I don't think they've gotten the teams wrong, it's just been unfortunate that some years that 4th team is a half step below the other 3 like Oklahoma in '19, Michigan St., And Washington. I'd like an 8 team playoff with auto bids for the 5 champs, and one for the best Group of 5 team. The conference title games are becoming less important every year, so if they go bigger than 8, scrap the title games.

The other thing is this news that Oklahoma and Texas are jumping to the ES-EEEE-SEE. I think this is probably a bad move for both schools, especially Texas. It probably also means the Big12 could implode. I can't see them calling up schools like Houston and Memphis and still being considered one of the power 5. It's more likely that the Big 10 and Pac 12 pick the bones too. And even with the handshake agreement with ACC/B10/PAC12 this blowup probably leaves the PAC 12 on some tenuous footing as well given that they've already been the odd conference out come playoff time for several years now. They might not be long either. Then it's only a matter of time before we wind up with the dreaded super conference.

I've actually got a reasonable plan to save college football from itself. I've gone on a while so tell me if y'all want to hear my hypothetical proposal. This is my favorite sport to follow but it just keeps doing the dumbest things possible.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

As a Michigan man.  I am tired of the constant beat downs.  But you know what.  At the end of the day, it is just a game.  Now, if Tiger was down a shot going into 18 on the 72nd hole against anyone else in the world… I would want him to make a birdie every single time… so I get it.  

I do think that college football has been ruined over the past 5-6 years, maybe longer.  I could go on for days about it, but I’ll save the hot air for another time.

Go Football Team!

12 minutes ago, Shankster said:

As a Michigan man.  I am tired of the constant beat downs.  But you know what.  At the end of the day, it is just a game.  Now, if Tiger was down a shot going into 18 on the 72nd hole against anyone else in the world… I would want him to make a birdie every single time… so I get it.  

I do think that college football has been ruined over the past 5-6 years, maybe longer.  I could go on for days about it, but I’ll save the hot air for another time.

Go Football Team!

If you don't mind chatting with a Buckeye, what's your biggest beef with the sport?

Take Dead Aim

9 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

If you don't mind chatting with a Buckeye, what's your biggest beef with the sport?

The tradition is gone.  The National Championship a few years back where they had a rap concert instead of the marching bands out there… all about the $$$$.

One of my favorite college players was J.T. Barrett… the dude was just fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

As a Michigan man.  I am tired of the constant beat downs. I do think that college football has been ruined over the past 5-6 years, maybe longer.  I could go on for days about it, but I’ll save the hot air for another time.

We had a Michigan man at QB for twenty years but he's gone to Tampa now.

So much for football in these parts now. 

BC became irrelevant upon joining the ACC and Harvard football isn't what it was when I was a boy.

Nobody is going to get excited about Mack Jones in Foxborough, that's for sure.

And Shankster, 

if the Wolverines are disappointing, I don't imagine that the Lions are softening the blow much. 

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

48 minutes ago, Shankster said:

The tradition is gone.  The National Championship a few years back where they had a rap concert instead of the marching bands out there… all about the $$$$.

One of my favorite college players was J.T. Barrett… the dude was just fun to watch.

My favorite college football player of all time was Doug Flutie in the early 80s. 

He beat teams like Penn State, Clemson, Alabama, and Houston.

West Virginia seemed to be his Achilles heel. 

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

3 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

We had a Michigan man at QB for twenty years but he's gone to Tampa now.

So much for football in these parts now. 

BC became irrelevant upon joining the ACC and Harvard football isn't what it was when I was a boy.

Nobody is going to get excited about Mack Jones in Foxborough, that's for sure.

And Shankster, 

if the Wolverines are disappointing, I don't imagine that the Lions are softening the blow much. 

Ha… Lions.  Never a fan.  I followed TB to NE.  Still a Patriots fan, simply because I like the North East.

NFL isn’t really my thing.

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

NFL isn’t really my thing.

It seems to have stopped being my thing, too.

I'm down to watching foreign language films on Netflix to pass the time.

At least the Red Sox gave me a half summer before falling apart.

A half summer is better than none.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

9 hours ago, Shankster said:

Right, realignment from a few years ago has killed that. And it doesn't help that some of the big historic schools are in a bit of tail spin right now - Florida St., Texas, USC, and yes sorry Michigan jump right to mind. And the playoff has only expanded that gap. We are now getting this small tier of super elite schools, that is just going to be tough to crack without expanding the playoff. I like the playoff, especially more than the BCS, but it's taken some oomph out of the title games. There's 800 bowl games now so even teams with like 5-7 records get to go because they have to fill them. I think there's 130 too, so it's grown so much just in the last 20 years.

J.T. was fun to watch, he got held back by our OC after Tom Herman left for Houston though. Fields looked more dynamic and comfortable the last 2 seasons. I see ESPN has Michigan pegged for 7-5...how bleak is that feeling up north?

Take Dead Aim

8 hours ago, BostonSal said:

It seems to have stopped being my thing, too.

I'm down to watching foreign language films on Netflix to pass the time.

At least the Red Sox gave me a half summer before falling apart.

A half summer is better than none.

Live in Cleveland, but I'm a Steelers fan. I was just a baby in the Bernie Kosar years of the 80s, so what I remember of the Browns are that they either didn't exist, or were the worst team in the league. 

And even though the Sox (cannot stand the Sox) make a lot of dumb signings, at least they try. We got a new name, but the Guardians have one of the worst owners in the sport. We've never signed anyone meaningful since he took over in 2001. And I've watched every good player traded away without even a good faith offer. 

Take Dead Aim

I'm anxious to get the season started but I hate that COVID could de-rail a team's hopes for a solid year. Even if you have the team vaccinated, a couple guys get COVID and then the team has to forfeit the game and it won't be rescheduled. 

Regardless, who are your pre-season CFP teams?

Bama

Clemson (even with a loss to Georgia to start the season, they have a good path to the CFP)

Ohio State

Iowa St/Oklahoma/Georgia/Texas A&M/Oregon

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

7 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

Clemson (even with a loss win against to Georgia to start the season, they have a good path to the CFP)

There, I fixed it for you.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

On 8/24/2021 at 5:03 PM, rbsiedsc said:

The thought process behind which team was assigned to a certain character makes this even better 😆

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

6 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

The thought process behind which team was assigned to a certain character makes this even better 😆

My wife, a Clemson grad, and myself a USC (not the garbage South Carolina one) grad got a good chuckle out of it.  I've been living vicariously through Clemson for a while now and hoping (even though we're mediocre) for a home and home with SC.  My wife having seen me at football games is not as keen on the idea.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

All i am gonna say is, ON WISCONSIN!!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, txgolfjunkie said:

I'm anxious to get the season started but I hate that COVID could de-rail a team's hopes for a solid year. Even if you have the team vaccinated, a couple guys get COVID and then the team has to forfeit the game and it won't be rescheduled. 

I see your Baylor logo in your profile, what should I expect from Charlie Brewer at Utah?  Utah is always a quarterback away from really making some noise.

Driver:  Ping 425LST 9*  (Aldila Rouge White 130) 

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13) (HZRDS Black 60)

3U: Sub70 (19.5) (True Temper Project X U) 

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap) (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S)  (Project X)

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

1 hour ago, Jonny_Crash said:

I see your Baylor logo in your profile, what should I expect from Charlie Brewer at Utah?  Utah is always a quarterback away from really making some noise.

2019 Charlie Brewer played with his hair on fire. His deep ball and timing with receivers was top notch. He got adequate protection but also ran a bit wild out of the pocket, putting his health in danger. He led Baylor to the Big 12 Championship and we will be forever grateful for his leadership and selflessness. We were picked to finish 6th or 7th in the Big 12 and our only loss on the year was to OU. 

2020 Charlie Brewer was off...almost like he didn't recover mentally from all the hits he took in 2019. He didn't have the OL he had in the prior year and his homerun WR threat was in the NFL. Defenses spied him and he was quick to throw the ball away when he sensed pressure instead of tucking and running for a few yards like we were accustomed to. His throws were just out of reach and his deep ball wasn't as accurate. 

I hope 2019 Charlie Brewer re-emerges and he lights it up in the Pac 12. He really is a solid player and while his bell got rung numerous times in 2019, he picked himself up and kept playing. He will forever be remembered for his selflessness on the field and desire to win. He tore it up in the Texas High School ranks and really did a great job at Baylor. Honestly, you surround him with decent weapons and an OL that can block and get ready to see the scoreboard light up. 

Best of luck to Chucky B. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

8 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Can we use the College football 2021 thread? 

Didn't realize we had one.  Sure thing

@txgolfjunkie  Thanks for the Charlie Brewer rundown.  The Utes return all 5 OL and are heavy running based team.  So he won't be expected to do all that much.  That being said, I hope they allow him to play and take his shots.  We have some decent WR's and some great TE's.  Ultimately anything above average would be great and would get the Utes in contention.    

Should be fun season! 

My App State team returns 14 starters so we’re looking for them to compete for the Conference title like they have 4 out the last five years. Coastal and UL Lafayette are preseason Top 25, but we’re hoping to beat them like we had been before last year!!!

LSU, my grad school and former employer, I’m not sure of because it’s the SEC and Bama should be ridiculous again. Hoping they have a shot to win each game!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

11 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Right, realignment from a few years ago has killed that. And it doesn't help that some of the big historic schools are in a bit of tail spin right now - Florida St., Texas, USC, and yes sorry Michigan jump right to mind. And the playoff has only expanded that gap. We are now getting this small tier of super elite schools, that is just going to be tough to crack without expanding the playoff. I like the playoff, especially more than the BCS, but it's taken some oomph out of the title games. There's 800 bowl games now so even teams with like 5-7 records get to go because they have to fill them. I think there's 130 too, so it's grown so much just in the last 20 years.

J.T. was fun to watch, he got held back by our OC after Tom Herman left for Houston though. Fields looked more dynamic and comfortable the last 2 seasons. I see ESPN has Michigan pegged for 7-5...how bleak is that feeling up north?

Yeah.  I expect 7-5, until they figure out who to replace Harbaugh with, that will be the norm.  The play calling in critical situations is absolutely terrible.  I know nothing about running a football team.  But when I have a super star running back, and a halfway decent QB… I am NOT calling a stupid wildcat play that is a pass… I just don’t understand where they come up with this crap.

A lot of light was shed on that very issue when Jed Fisch left.  The offense was good when he was there.

I really don’t see them losing to Nebraska like everyone is saying… but you never know.  7-5, 8-4 range is going to be it. And anyone that thinks otherwise has no idea.

Yes, absolutely.  The playoff system is the worst in the world.   Pretty soon there will be a super conference and then the rest will be no names within a few years.

Michigans football program was doomed when the University allowed the fan base and Alumi to dictate the “retirement” of Lloyd Carr… that man was forced out because he lost to App State.  Ever since, the program has been on the downslide.

49 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Yeah.  I expect 7-5, until they figure out who to replace Harbaugh with, that will be the norm.  The play calling in critical situations is absolutely terrible.  I know nothing about running a football team.  But when I have a super star running back, and a halfway decent QB… I am NOT calling a stupid wildcat play that is a pass… I just don’t understand where they come up with this crap.

A lot of light was shed on that very issue when Jed Fisch left.  The offense was good when he was there.

I really don’t see them losing to Nebraska like everyone is saying… but you never know.  7-5, 8-4 range is going to be it. And anyone that thinks otherwise has no idea.

Yes, absolutely.  The playoff system is the worst in the world.   Pretty soon there will be a super conference and then the rest will be no names within a few years.

Michigans football program was doomed when the University allowed the fan base and Alumi to dictate the “retirement” of Lloyd Carr… that man was forced out because he lost to App State.  Ever since, the program has been on the downslide.

Ah, sorry I loved watching that happen. As much as you probably love every time we lose to Purdue for no good reason.

Yea, you can't switch coaches every few years and expect to be competitive.

Take Dead Aim