Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

College Football

fozcycle

Just can’t wait to see if my Sooners can hold up to the hype. Should be a fun year regardless though! Gotta love college football season. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

21 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Ah, sorry I loved watching that happen. As much as you probably love every time we lose to Purdue for no good reason.

Yea, you can't switch coaches every few years and expect to be competitive.

Wouldn’t expect anything less.  Haha.  All good my friend.  I was waaaay to invested in Michigan football in 2015-2016.  Now, I don’t really care.  Just don’t want to see college football then into a mini NFL… too late.

On 8/27/2021 at 4:20 PM, Jonny_Crash said:

@txgolfjunkie  Thanks for the Charlie Brewer rundown.  The Utes return all 5 OL and are heavy running based team.  So he won't be expected to do all that much.  That being said, I hope they allow him to play and take his shots.  We have some decent WR's and some great TE's.  Ultimately anything above average would be great and would get the Utes in contention.    

Should be fun season! 

Ah...I imagine your comment about all 5 OL returning and heavy in the run is a good reason why he chose Utah as his transfer school. Makes sense. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

On 8/27/2021 at 7:49 AM, DiscipleofPenick said:

Live in Cleveland, but I'm a Steelers fan. I was just a baby in the Bernie Kosar years of the 80s, so what I remember of the Browns are that they either didn't exist, or were the worst team in the league. 

And even though the Sox (cannot stand the Sox) make a lot of dumb signings, at least they try. We got a new name, but the Guardians have one of the worst owners in the sport. We've never signed anyone meaningful since he took over in 2001. And I've watched every good player traded away without even a good faith offer. 

I live 45 miles south of Cleveland. In the 80's the Browns were not the worst team in the league. In fact, they were contenders, making the playoffs 3 times. I've been a Raiders fan my whole life, but the Browns weren't always pathetic... and they are on their way to being contenders again.

I agree with you about the Indians (I will never root for the Guardians...lol). I knew when Dolan was awarded the team that it would go south in no time.

2 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I live 45 miles south of Cleveland. In the 80's the Browns were not the worst team in the league. In fact, they were contenders, making the playoffs 3 times. I've been a Raiders fan my whole life, but the Browns weren't always pathetic... and they are on their way to being contenders again.

I agree with you about the Indians (I will never root for the Guardians...lol). I knew when Dolan was awarded the team that it would go south in no time.

Cleveland, along with the White Sox, Tigers, and Red Sox---not even the Yankees---

goes all the way back to the American League's beginning in 1901.

One would expect that the city of Tris Speaker and Nap Lajoie and Bob Feller would have a little more respect for tradition.

"Indians" isn't the same as "Redskins,"  I have no idea how it would be offense to our Native American friends.

In ten or twenty years, they'll be a groundswell to take the name back.

OK, I've hijacked the football thread long enough, Silver & Black.  Sorry.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

2 hours ago, silver & black said:

I've heard about those teams, but I was born in 85 and have no memory of them. All I remember is one or two mediocre seasons under Testaverde, they left, then the dumpster fire since returning.

I don't understand why Dolan is so cheap, the family has money. Another Dolan owns the Knicks, I think his nephew. And I'm not expecting him to spend like NY or LA, but we're not as small of a market as you might think, so we should be able to comfortably run payrolls north of $100 mil.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

2 hours ago, BostonSal said:

Cleveland, along with the White Sox, Tigers, and Red Sox---not even the Yankees---

goes all the way back to the American League's beginning in 1901.

One would expect that the city of Tris Speaker and Nap Lajoie and Bob Feller would have a little more respect for tradition.

"Indians" isn't the same as "Redskins,"  I have no idea how it would be offense to our Native American friends.

In ten or twenty years, they'll be a groundswell to take the name back.

OK, I've hijacked the football thread long enough, Silver & Black.  Sorry.

If you want tradition, then the name should be the Blues, Bronchos, or Naps as those were all the team names before they became the Indians in 1915. 

Take Dead Aim

2 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

If you want tradition, then the name should be the Blues, Bronchos, or Naps as those were all the team names before they became the Indians in 1915. 

Fair point, but did three names from 1901 to 1914 really establish any tradition?

Before team nicknames became official, the Red Sox were called the Americans and the Pilgrims in the local papers. 

"Americans" came from the fact that the National League Braves were already in Boston when the competing new team arrived,

The Braves had previously been called the Red Stockings, and--just the sound of it make one feel gassy--the Beaneaters.

I've watched the Indians play in Fenway since I was in grade school, so like any other "Get off my lawn" old timer,

I'm not thrilled with them being renamed after bridge entrance statues.  

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

BOOM!  Now this is a good season opener contest 👍.

image.png.35d12117cd1662bb32b92c9a6f114aea.png

The 2021 campaign is now officially underway.  And, not sure who's noticed, but there are some Sunday and Monday games on the schedule.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

7 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

BOOM!  Now this is a good season opener contest 👍.

image.png.35d12117cd1662bb32b92c9a6f114aea.png

The 2021 campaign is now officially underway.  And, not sure who's noticed, but there are some Sunday and Monday games on the schedule.

There needs to be more of this. There should be bigger penalties for scheduling chump teams. But CFP gets a little dumb and one of these teams will probably be written off for the majority of the year.

Take Dead Aim

53 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

There needs to be more of this. There should be bigger penalties for scheduling chump teams. But CFP gets a little dumb and one of these teams will probably be written off for the majority of the year.

Write them off at one's own peril. Yea, the extended practice season openers for the top teams has become the norm.  None want to start off with a bruiser and high odds of a loss.

27 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Write them off at one's own peril. Yea, the extended practice season openers for the top teams has become the norm.  None want to start off with a bruiser and high odds of a loss.

I think they should rule that the Power 5 teams, who I think all play a 9 have conference schedule now, can only play 1 game per year against a team at level lower than them. Maybe Georgia didn't have to play Clemson every year as this example, but at least play Texas Tech or Miami. No more scheduling FCS schools.

Take Dead Aim

10 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I think they should rule that the Power 5 teams, who I think all play a 9 have conference schedule now, can only play 1 game per year against a team at level lower than them. Maybe Georgia didn't have to play Clemson every year as this example, but at least play Texas Tech or Miami. No more scheduling FCS schools.

Don't disagree but also don't see it happening anytime soon.  What's fun is when a push-over squad bites em 🙂.

17 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

The CFP and bowl payouts are driving the scheduling. Why risk losing to a decent team that could have a significant financial impact on your season when you can schedule a handful of smaller schools to come in and take a few licks, grab a paycheck, and head home? It's all about the almighty dollar. And these smaller schools NEED to play the big guys to keep their athletic budget afloat. If the P5 schools didn't play the FCS teams, then the athletic programs at the lower level schools would need to be drastically cut.

Like it or not, it's part of the game and it's not going to change. 

And FYI, only the Big 12, Big 10 and Pac 12 have 9 conference games. ACC and SEC have 8. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

13 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

The CFP and bowl payouts are driving the scheduling. Why risk losing to a decent team that could have a significant financial impact on your season when you can schedule a handful of smaller schools to come in and take a few licks, grab a paycheck, and head home? It's all about the almighty dollar. And these smaller schools NEED to play the big guys to keep their athletic budget afloat. If the P5 schools didn't play the FCS teams, then the athletic programs at the lower level schools would need to be drastically cut.

Like it or not, it's part of the game and it's not going to change. 

And FYI, only the Big 12, Big 10 and Pac 12 have 9 conference games. ACC and SEC have 8. 

I think you pretty much nailed it.  And, when I think back a couple of decades or more, it was these "extra scrimmage games" that started the Fresno State, Boise State, and a number of other programs rise to national recognition.  This is the upside of the current scheduling format.

On 8/29/2021 at 8:41 PM, Shankster said:

Well, If the Maize and Blue lose to Nebraska like all of the “experts” have them… what a season it will be.

Did you watch that Nebraska team vs Illinois? Surely they don't have them beating UM?

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

On 8/29/2021 at 2:04 PM, DiscipleofPenick said:

Big ten already has something like that unless an opponent cannot be found, then fcs can be scheduled 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

5 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Big ten already has something like that unless an opponent cannot be found, then fcs can be scheduled 

That's good now just do it for everyone. Ohio St. can be any of the Ohio MAC schools by 40, why do they need to go schedule Youngstown St. or whoever out of the FCS. A W is a W, so move on. I think some of this was driven by the BCS because margin of victory was part of that formula. So winning a game 73-0 counted for something, whereas it doesn't (or at least it shouldn't) now. 

My ideal scheduling would be 8 or 9 conference games, with only 1 chump game on the schedule. The other 2 or 3 games would need to be against other power 5 teams, and one of those games against a team of a similar ranking or FPI.

But this would also come with a complete restructuring of the conferences. Try to restore some of the traditional geography and rivalry to them. And shift some teams up and down based on performance, not just because of relevance when conferences were formed 100 years ago. Teams like Boise St., Houston, and Cincinnati have performed better than most of the usual Power 5 bottom feeders since the BCS-era began. Let's take them a bit more seriously.

Take Dead Aim

On 8/27/2021 at 6:49 PM, Shankster said:

Yeah.  I expect 7-5, until they figure out who to replace Harbaugh with, that will be the norm.  The play calling in critical situations is absolutely terrible.  I know nothing about running a football team.  But when I have a super star running back, and a halfway decent QB… I am NOT calling a stupid wildcat play that is a pass… I just don’t understand where they come up with this crap.

A lot of light was shed on that very issue when Jed Fisch left.  The offense was good when he was there.

I really don’t see them losing to Nebraska like everyone is saying… but you never know.  7-5, 8-4 range is going to be it. And anyone that thinks otherwise has no idea.

Yes, absolutely.  The playoff system is the worst in the world.   Pretty soon there will be a super conference and then the rest will be no names within a few years.

Michigans football program was doomed when the University allowed the fan base and Alumi to dictate the “retirement” of Lloyd Carr… that man was forced out because he lost to App State.  Ever since, the program has been on the downslide.

Did you mention my alma mater? Mike Hart’s “big brother”?!

I went to HS with one of Lloyd’s kids, his daughter Melissa. Such good people…. He deserved better, but UofM’s arrogance has finally caught-up to them. The thought that they were a National power after the 1950s has puzzled me. Their “greatest coach of all-time” had a horrible bowl record, never won a natty, and only had to beat Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, etc to win 9 games, and couldn’t beat the one decent team in the Big Ten, Ohio State, enough to matter. I’d like to see Harbaugh gone, but Warde has his back…

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

My Mountaineers have East Carolina in Charlotte Thursday, then Miami week 2. If they could pull-off both wins, they’d jump to the Top 25 quickly. Gonna be tough to just win ONE of those, but I think they have a great shot vs ECU. 

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

My Mountaineers have East Carolina in Charlotte Thursday, then Miami week 2. If they could pull-off both wins, they’d jump to the Top 25 quickly. Gonna be tough to just win ONE of those, but I think they have a great shot vs ECU. 

Paul, you coming up to Charlotte for that game??  😁

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

4 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Paul, you coming up to Charlotte for that game??  😁

I was hoping to, but couldn’t get it done!!! Praying to be back at App next year when the Heels come to town for an opening BEAT DOWN!!!

14 years ago today… Greatest upset of all-time. UofM and Mike Hart became our “little brother”!!!!B225C96F-063F-4165-BA05-D544E9FD3B71.jpeg.f4be0e3833b8b7e65f17a030ea80ea33.jpeg095230A5-0601-48A7-8302-81381A5813C4.jpeg.b76d99a751f55c4d1989bd081453fafd.jpeg

2 minutes ago, PMookie said:

14 years ago today… Greatest upset of all-time. UofM and Mike Hart became our “little brother”!!!!B225C96F-063F-4165-BA05-D544E9FD3B71.jpeg.f4be0e3833b8b7e65f17a030ea80ea33.jpeg095230A5-0601-48A7-8302-81381A5813C4.jpeg.b76d99a751f55c4d1989bd081453fafd.jpeg

This Buckeye salutes you!

Take Dead Aim

6 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Boo.

This started the downfall of the organization.  It literally fell apart after this…. 

Lesson learned for all though…. Don’t sleep on the “little guys”.  

The big 10 boys kick it off tomorrow night to start a good CFB weekend! Go Bucks

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

This one was never in doubt 😬.  As a kid, FSU was my team (older brother went their) and I still root for them... except against the Irish.  Great game and the challenging opener will, hopefully, pay dividends later.

image.png.ad7388b7f8568df934aef74daface6f0.png

Quite a few upset game 1 results around the various conferences.  UW losing to Montana (Grizzly's)...priceless.

On 8/27/2021 at 2:54 PM, Shankster said:

Can we use the College football 2021 thread? 

I would have used this thread instead of starting an annual one... had I known it existed 🤨@GolfSpy_APHis there way you can merge them?