Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Just heard of a new training aid called the tour striker. It was described as a normal club, but the bottom half of the face is rounded so that if you don't hit down on the ball, you will completely shank it. I'm not so sure if I like the idea just because it would kill a player's confidence. Any Opinions?

While I have zero experience with this, I would agree that hitting shanks is bad for the confidence. It makes me think of a conversation I had with my dad a long time ago. I told him about a basketball training device that effectively "shrinks" the rim and that it was supposed to have great effects on team's shooting. He said to me, "If I could, I'd have them practice on a larger rim, so they could see the ball go in more."

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I have the tour striker pro. It definitely teaches you to hold your release to hit the ball straight. The typical miss with it is not a hosel rocket, but more of a low bladed slice. Overall a good practice club that you will see improvement with if used correctly.

Just heard of a new training aid called the tour striker. It was described as a normal club, but the bottom half of the face is rounded so that if you don't hit down on the ball, you will completely shank it. I'm not so sure if I like the idea just because it would kill a player's confidence. Any Opinions?

Viper is correct, you do not shank mishits, you blade them. The TS is one of the better aids out there. It is great for preventing clubhead throwaway, and to induce a descending angle of attack. I begin every practice session with the TS beginning with chips to pitches to full seven irons(the loft of the TS Pro). You can also chat with the pro who invented the TS on Brian Manzella's forum.

the tour striker was my favorite gadget at the 2009 pga show. in fact i stated on camera how pissed off i was that i didnt think of it myself.

the idea behind it is that at impact the #1 problem golfers have is that because they dont strike down on the ball, (rather they flip upwards), the club only rewards only the properly struck descending blow shots.

if you attempt to lift, lean the shaft back, or come over the top, the relief of the leading edge and toe will produce a funny shot.

i highly recommend this club from functionality, its one of those things that if you can hit this, youd be good.

two thumbs up - i love mine and i have a place for it as a tool in my lessons

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Archived