icosta4658

Taylormade Golf Balls

This recent blog post regarding the latest TM ball prototypes caught my eye: http://www.mygolfspy.com/first-look-taylormade-2016-tour-preferred-tour-preferred-x-and-projecta-golf-balls/

I've never really given Taylormade golf balls the time of day just because i didn't think (perception wise) they were very good. But i had heard good things about the Project [a] golf ball and recently had a chance to test it. I've been playing with it ever since. I typically enjoy lower compression balls and prior to this i was using the Callaway supersoft. Love the way it sprung off the club face and felt like you weren't hitting much of anything. However, as i'm getting more comfortable on the course, the Supersoft left a lot to be desired around the greens. I've found the Project [a] is still a pretty soft ball that has a bit more "click" to it (It isn't hard enough for me to really be irritated by it, but it is noticeably harder than the Supersoft ), but still feels like it launches nicely off the face. And that little i lost in "feel" is more than made up for around the greens. The Project [a] checks up nicely around the greens (noticeably from 120-50 yards in) and gives me confidence with my wedges, plus it has a bit more of a piercing trajectory with my irons, which is nice. Definitely enjoying these balls at the moment and am pleasantly surprised to have my perceptions proved wrong. 

Wondering if anyone here has had similar reactions to the Project [a] ball? Or if there are other balls in the category that are worth giving a shot? Also, how do the Tour Preferred balls stack up against other premium balls on the market? 

• Like 1

I like the TM Aeroburner Softs. I won a dozen of them in a scramble. Have played 3 of them and still have them.

I actually got started on the soft ball thing by accident when one of my assistant pros at my club gave me a 3 ball pack of Srixon Soft Feels. Love that ball. I had also heard good things about the Bridgestone Treo Softs. I ended up finding one and tried it and liked it also. Won some gift certificates to Golfsmith in the same scramble and since the TreoSofts are being discontinued they had them on special along with the gift certificates I had a discount card too. Ended up with 4 dozen Treo Softs so I have been playing them mostly this summer. I do not loose many balls so I still have 3 dozen of the Bridgestone balls too.

I really liked the Project A! I tried the Supersoft, but like you mentioned the Project A performed better for me 100yds and in. Though only during the colder month's of the year, once spring/ summer rolled around it was not my favorite off the driver, but its bigger brother the Tour preferred X took it's place in my bag. 

• Like 1

If you like them too bad because all of their names will change over the course of the next couple of years and then you'll be stuck trying to figure out which ball is which.  I just realized that the Tour x was the Penta - but I left considering TMag balls when they dropped that name.  I was reluctant to try that ball because I loved the TP red and was upset when they dropped that name.

I'm just done with them for golf balls until they offer some consistency - too many other choices.

• Like 2

I'm just done with them for golf balls until they offer some consistency - too many other choices.

This has definitely been a totally unnecessary problem of TaylorMade's own making. 

Titleist - consistent

Bridgestone - consistent

Srixon - consistent

Callaway - inconsistent

TaylorMade - inconsistent

Nike - inconsistent

The good news is that TaylorMade appears to understand that consistency matters to the consumer, so they're going to run with Tour Preferred and Tour Preferred X for another generation (and hopefully several more generations to come).

I suspect Callaway will settle on some form of Chrome moving forward, but between Hex, and SR, and Chrome...who can say for sure.

Nike...Assuming they stick with RZN, hopefully they'll also stick with Black/Platinum.  

The smart play for any ball manufacturer is to follow the Titleist model. Leave the name alone and modestly tweak the markings with each new release.

• Like 2

I was a big fan of the Penta TP5. Like Rev, I got tired of figuring out which ball it was every year. I just went back to using good old Pro v1's. The name is the same every year... and I can find 2-3 dozen a year on any golf course. I rarely ever have to buy balls.

I do like the Project A.

• Like 2

I may give the Project (A) a look. It does have a urethane cover which I consider a must have. However, the PA ball will have to be good to find a place among the MG Tour C4 and Chrome Soft.

I had been playing TMaG balls for the past few season.  Started with the Penta, then Penta TP5, and now Tour Preferred X.  I've been a big fan of them and up until this season it's pretty much all I've played.  I thought they played very similar to the ProV1-X and were every bit as good.  Plus it seemed like it was easier to find deals on them.

This season I switched to the Snell My Tour Ball which is fantastic.  Unless another top tier tour balls comes down to the $30 price point I don't see myself switching back any time soon.

• Like 2

I was a die hard Taylormade ball guy for awhile. I switched to the Bridgestone B330RX and had success with that too. I kept searching for the ball that had the best check for me around the greens and I had to go back to the Pro V1x. It has the least amount of driver side spin for me plus the check on the greens I want. Some day I will try the Snell My Tour Ball to compare.

• Like 1

I've played certain models of the TM Tour balls over the years (TP Black/Red, Penta, etc..) and while they were what I would characterize as good, they didn't stand out in any particular area.  The best TM ball I ever played IMHO was the old Burner TP/LDP which is the best non-urethane ball I've ever played.  Outstanding spin on approaches for a surlyn ball - was just good in all areas.  But alas, that was so long ago....

I've found the project A a decent ball. But, I really didn't it was as good as the 3F12s till Titlest shut them down. I have always liked a soft feel with durability and spin control. so far the Chrome Soft has responded as close as any. I will use the ProVs I find though which means not buying many balls. I have thought about trying Snell when I or if I run low

I've found the project A a decent ball. But, I really didn't it was as good as the 3F12s till Titlest shut them down. I have always liked a soft feel with durability and spin control. so far the Chrome Soft has responded as close as any. I will use the ProVs I find though which means not buying many balls. I have thought about trying Snell when I or if I run low

If I were you I'd wait a bit before buying any Snell. Don't get me wrong. They are a top quality (PV1ish) ball for sure. I suspect Snell will release an updated ball for 2016. And what do I think that means? For one a new (paint) formulation for the color. The ball seems to dull-out and not hold it's whiteness long. I also think they will redesign the logo. Personally I've never liked it much. It's too large for my eye.