Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

I putt better when......

revkev

I'm hitting it better.  It's really that simple, the better I hit the ball the better I putt the ball (at least statistically) because:

1.  I'm closer to the hole so my 1 putt numbers are up and 3 putt avoidance is way down.  Obviously I will hole way more 25 footers than 45 footers and three putt far less - Suddenly I'm a much better putter.

2.  Way more of my misses are hole high or in a good position to chip from - better up and down positions mean way more 1 putts - I one putt a lot from inside of 3 feet, much less from 8 feet.  I think that's true of anyone.

3.  When I'm striking the ball better my full swing tempo is better and then tends to flow into my putting as well.  Better tempo, better speed control, more putts struck solidly, more putts started on line, more putts holes.

So, statistically speaking I'm a much better putter when I'm hitting it well.  How about you?  What makes you a better putter?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

When I give myself flat looks at the hole early on. 

I tend to do better when the first few putts are close in. 

big thing for me is getting a good read on long or winding putts, when I can get that I tend to make some crazy putts.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

When I hole out from the fairway. I putt better when I don't leave myself 3-4 footers. I struggle with that distance, so if I don't leave that distance my numbers are better, lag putting is my friend, sometimes I don't lag very well and that's when I leave the 3-4 footers.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I've always found the better I play the worse my putting stats are. The better I hit it, the more greens in regulation I hit, these lead to more (hopefully) 2 putts. As opposed to missing more greens and maybe getting up and down. 

I have a revolving WITB policy.

According to my last two rounds I'm a better putter when I use my wedge instead of my putter to putt, 

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Agree with Rev - my putting is better when the game is working. When I can't hit anything from tee to green, the putting goes south too.

But when the game is on, it seems like I can get 45 footers close to tap in range.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

When I stop thinking. Just letting my instincts and natural ability take over.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

My whole game from tee to green is better when I'm playing well (striking the ball well). For me that means first driving the ball well. If I have a good day off the tee I normally hit my irons well which translates into good putting. A positive physical action translates to a positive mental action which translates into a great round of golf.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm with Kenny on the Caffeine thing and so is my cardiologist.  :)

I'm really enjoying everyone's answers whether there are tongue in cheek or serious.  I've had times where putting has kick started my long game but I was much young then.  I can't recall the last time that I started hitting the ball better because I was putting well, it's always the other way around.  I'm never a terrible putter (there are individual rounds but overall). 

However if I'm hitting it better I'm always a better putter statistically - Over the past 10 years I've ranged from 34 putts to 30 putts per round - I had my lowest handicap when it was 30 - that year I upped my GIRs to 10 (from 9) and lowered my puts to 30 - my index stayed under 2 the entire season and got below 1 a couple of times.  I'd love to find that game again.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

... and be the ball.   :)

Nah nah nah nah nah nah

I'm fairly happy with my putting to be honest. My lag putting is really good. My average is 33.4 putts per round, but I'm hoping to get that down to 30-31 average.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I'm averaging 31.7 over my last 10 rounds obviously most of us will putt better the closer we are to the hole but I find that like Theo if I leave my mind blank and let my ability take over I putt better. My average putts per round have come down since getting the odyssey metal x #6 I'm using now too.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Putting can save you many strokes in a round, but average numbers don't mean that you putted well, or that you are a good putter. No doubt we all putt better when we strike the a all better, but that doesn't mean less putts in the round. Some people are more confident with their putter, and that is what makes the difference, knowing that if you can put the ball on the green, you have the confidence to be able to either make the putt, or leave it very close, and that can keep your putting average number down . People who are not confident with the putter are more likely to not make a good first putt, which results in a more difficult second putt, which can lead to more three putts, and the average numbers go up. If I miss a lot of greens and chip well, and make a bunch of 1 putts, my average numbers go down, but that doesn't mean I putted well, that means I scrambled well. So when I look at how I putted in a round, I look at how well did I read the putt, did I lag the ball well, did I make good strokes at the 4 footers, I can do all of that well, and still have 35 putts, but I would have putted great, and if I don't do those things well my putts would most likely be up near 40, and my total score would reflect that, for me that is the difference between scoring 82 vs 77

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I putt better when I use the force.  Some days I just get in that zone and if it doesn't go in it's a stress free tap in to follow.  That usually equates with playing pretty well all round too, good ball striking, good driving etc etc.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

We have talked about putting a lot.  It's a topic that I love and I am always trying to improve.  I used to be terrible, a few years ago I was respectable, and now I would like to say that I am not too bad.  (I would like to say that!  Hopefully, my assessment is correct.   :wacko: )

A month or so ago, I started looking at the hole when putting short putts (less than 6 feet or so), based on what I saw Jordan Spieth do.  I started making a higher percentage.  It was scary at first, but the more you do it, the more natural it feels. (I still don't have the confidence to do it on longer putts, but I am working on it.)

Last week I was reading a post made by RoverRick over a year ago that I had somehow missed.  

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/11345-5000-posts-to-better-golf/?hl=5000

Here is a RoverRick quote from that thread:

"I was a horrible putter.  I could miss a three- footer by a foot.  I tried everything, long putters, big grips, different holds on the putter, but it was not until I was forced to shoot a wild rabbid dog, that had attacked two people over a three day period that I learned the secret to my putting.  I am a huge dog fan and have 3 laying in the room with me right now.  But I shot that dog with a pistol at about 75 feet while she was running.  Center mass and she was dead before she hit the ground.  I thought, you can make a shot like that but can't make a 3 foot putt, and I realized I hit the dog because I was focusing on the dog not the gun.

It was years later before I found a book that addressed this, but I found if I looked at the hole I made more putts.  I believe that the reason I was missing putts was that I subconsciously adjusting my aim, like I do shooting, and therefore when I was consciously adding more break it was twice the break it should have been. The book called Instinct Putting explains this better."

The gun analogy makes a lot of sense.  When I looked at the ball and putter, I was not completely committed to the putt, which resulted in my head immediately coming up to check out the roll of the ball as soon as I struck it.  Sometimes my head would come up too quick and the stroke would be off line, but mostly I would miss the putt due to poor speed, usually short because I decelerated.   :mad:   Now that I look at the hole, I don't have that issue.  I line up the ball on the intended line; line up the putter with the line for the ball; and focus purely on speed looking at the hole.  I trust that my stroke will be on the intended line, and with practice the confidence grows and better putts are made.  I am still a better lag putter using my old method, but I have committed to looking at the hole and I have gotten better on intermediate length putts.  It will take some time before I can be as good as RoverRick, if that's possibly.  Read about his putting stats in the link above.  Amazing!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've looked at the hole when I putt for some time. To me it just makes sense and I don't shoot guns. I played baseball and basketball though. The certainly didn't look at the ball when I threw to second or shot free throws.

I'm the anti Spieth, I look at the ball on short putts and at the hole on longer ones, outside 5 feet or so.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived