Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Water range

superduper

has anyone been to of those driving range where you hit balls into a large pond?   Why would anyone build something like this? (it's not cost effective because you need a raft to pick up the balls and takes longer to find the balls). 

I notice the floating balls is kinda lighter.... how much shorter do they fly from a good golf ball (Prov1, Bridgestone e6)..... ???

First time I saw it was in Florida this past February. The wind would push the balls to a certain point in the pond and they could scoop them out with a net.

In terms of warm up, I thought it was a great idea, no so much if you wanted to work on your distances.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Several clubs have water ranges.......I really dont like them because you cant judge the distance well as you skip over the water.  However, it does provide full range of motion practice.

My Nephew lived at an aparrtment complex in Tampa that had a water range for it's Residents.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I've hit on two water ranges; one in Naples FL, and the other at the Coeur d'Alene resort in N. Idaho.  Naples was a long time ago and memory is not too good, but I thought that the balls at Coeur d'Alene felt pretty close to most balls on any other range.  They have island targets at specific distances just like at a normal range.  I am not sure but they may account for the distance loss in the setup of the targets, because it seemed that the yardages weren't all that bad.  And remember... range balls at normal driving ranges don't fly as far as regular balls anyway.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

As Foz said they are common place in Florida.  The pond is normally a retention pond not only for the course but also for the associated housing development.  I'm not a fan of them and have never used one for practice purposes, only for warm up.  I haven't a clue in regards to distance differences.  Many more courses have ranges with restricted flight golf balls, I'd suspect that the floating ones are similar. 

My course has full range balls and I don't even especially like those for practice but have no alternatives.  We share a range with a high end daily fee facility so I'm sure that's why we have the balls that we do - When I lived in Wisconsin you could go to Black Wolf run or Whistling, pay a daily fee ($10 at the time) and they had pro level Nike Practice balls.  I'm sure Bayou would do that if it weren't a shared range.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've played on one. There's no getting your distances, because the balls are designed to float. It is cool to aim at the water and not have any fear though. Plus I think there was a fountain in the center everyone was aiming at. Hitting it felt great.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Ever since that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer gets excited to hit balls into the ocean, I've always wanted to try it. It does seem relaxing and fun, but probably not good for the ocean...

I was once in a cruise ship with a driving range on deck hitting balls into the ocean. The balls used were made of some kind of organic material that decomposes safely into the water. At least that's what the guy in-charge told us :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Ever since that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer gets excited to hit balls into the ocean, I've always wanted to try it. It does seem relaxing and fun, but probably not good for the ocean...

Did that once in Daytona. Hit about 6 balls into the ocean. Fun times. Had no idea though it was illegal until years after when I told the story to a sherriffs officer/ beach patrol.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Had a buddy who went to one, brand new driver, head flew into water. Went back to the counter where he was shown a large sign stating "not liable for clubs that end up in water." Think it was a super quad he had reshafted and the head went bye bye.

Never gone to one, but there is one by my house... Hmmm maybe I'll go there today?

Archived