TESTERS WANTED! ×

MEMBER TESTING: NIKE CONVERGE PUTTERS

GolfSpy Barbajo

nike1.jpg

Nike Converge Putter Forum Member Reviews!

It's time to find out what our boys think of the new Converge Putter line from the folks at Nike!  

We'll start with a series of Unboxing posts, and then get right into the reviews. Our testers have been working hard at giving these putters the run-through, and are chomping at the bit to let you know what they think.  

Please feel free to ask any of our testers any questions you may have about the Nike Converge putters, and we hope you'll find some useful feedback to help in your hunt for anew flatstick.

Here's the lineup:

Kenny B:                        Unboxing               Review

Sluggo 42:                     Unboxing               Review

MmmmmBuddy:           Unboxing               Review

EthanSterlingPrice:       Unboxing                Review

Kor.A.Door:                   Unboxing                Review

JustHiggz:                    Unboxing                Review

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I have been looking at putters for quite awhile.  Why?  I don't really know because I like my gamer (more on that in the review).  I have had several family health issues this year and I really didn't think I could spend the time for a quality review.  So why did I submit my name?  Again, I am not sure.  I waited until the 6th page of applicants, and maybe seeing the other applicants putting in their information, I just wanted to add mine.  I was very surprised to be selected to review this putter, and I want to thank MGS for the opportunity.  I will certainly endeavor to provide the best review I can, since I know that these reviews are helpful to everyone considering a purchase.  I know, because reviews like these have led to many purchases made by me even before I joined MGS.

So here goes the Unboxing…

I wasn't home when the Nike Method Converge putter arrived.  I was 300 miles away moving my parents into an assisted living facility.  I call home every night, and one night my wife said that a club arrived and what did I order now.  I told her it was a putter, and don't worry it didn't cost me anything.

Over Labor Day weekend my wife came for a visit and brought the box with her.  I didn't really have time to look at it for a couple of days, but I caught a break one night and decided to open the box.

INBOX12663c3b1906a570bbf0535140f6b72a01057.jpg

I really didn't know what to expect, but since we provided our stroke type, I assumed that it would at least be a face-balanced putter.  After we were selected, we all provided information on current putter specs and likes.  I received the Nike Method Converge S2-12 putter; the heaviest and shortest putter available from Nike's stock listing.  (Specs will be provided in the review).

Like Sluggo's Unboxing, I was a little disappointed when I opened the box.  I keep reading about all of the media kits that MGS receives and the goodies inside, but I didn't even get a Nike hat or a sleeve of balls. 

The club had plastic on the head and grip, and I immediately began ripping it off. 

INBOX12666c3b1906a570bbf0535140f6b72a01057.jpg

Five minutes later, I was still trying to get it off without damaging the club!  The plastic on the grip has a red strip that when pulled looks like it would peel the plastic off, but mine stopped halfway down and it wasn't about to budge from there.

(I swear the packaging on things these days is going to kill us old folks, especially on food.  I think the idea is to starve us to death).  So, out came the X-acto knife and I carefully peeled the rest of the plastic off.  The plastic on the head was easier.

INBOX12670c3b1906a570bbf0535140f6b72a01057.jpg

On the shaft are stickers; one that tells me that this putter is for a straight stroke, one tells me that the length is 33 inches; one that tells me the retail price is $204 but I have seen them on golf websites for $179; and another telling me that this putter speaks Chinese, so I can just save my breath when I talk to it during a round.  The head is Made in China; the shaft is Made in China; and the club is Assembled in China.  I know you are going to ask, but I saw nothing that said where the grip is made, but I'm guessing… China.

The putter has a nice condom that slides over the head, but it reminds me why I am not partial to mallet putters; where do you put it when you pull the putter from the bag? 

A.  Put it in your back pocket -   It's what I have always done with blade putter covers

B.  Lay it on top of your bag among other clubs -  Falls off if you forget to put in back on.

C.  Toss it on the ground -  Can get dirty, wet, or I lose it

D.  Don't use it -  Put it in the bag or leave in car.  Putter will show wear and tear.

INBOX12671c3b1906a570bbf0535140f6b72a01057.jpg

The bottom of the head has a plastic film covering the sole, including the weights, that is similar to the films that can be put on cell phones to protect the faces.  It looks OK now, but there are some bubbles starting to show under it and at some point it will need to be removed; I'll leave on for now.

INBOX12678c3b1906a570bbf0535140f6b72a01057.jpg

The head has a gun metal finish with red accents that should aid in alignment.  I like this feature as it sets up nicely with my ball markings.  (More on this in the review).

INBOX12676c3b1906a570bbf0535140f6b72a01057.jpg

My initial feeling is that this is a very different putter from my gamer.  How am I going to putt with this stick?  We shall see... stay tuned.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Nike Method Converge S2-12 Putter Review

1. General impressions/preconceived notions

First, about me…   When I took up golf 24 years ago at the ripe age of 44, I was a horrible putter.  My local pro said I had “hands of stone”.  It took years of practice to even become a mediocre putter.  During this time, I only owned two putters.  I thought they were all the same because it didn't matter which one I tried, the results were always the same.  Bad!  I would stroll though a golf store and migrate to the putter section, roll a few balls, but it only took a few to realize that no matter what putter I used, I didn't putt any better.  One day I was at a Golfsmith store looking at putters and found a used women's Boccieri C2-DF Heavy Putter in the used bin.  I actually made putts with it, and $35 seemed like it was worth a chance.  My putting stats improved.  When I think back on it, that short 32” women's putter and heavy weight was the first putter that actually fit my putting stroke.  With lots of practice I feel like I am a decent putter now.  However, the Boccieri is not the most glamorous putter on the market.  I know, I know, it doesn't matter what it looks like; what matters is how it performs.  Let's just say that if I could find a sexy looking putter that feels like the Boccieri, I would be extremely happy.  The trend seems to be toward heavier putters so I'm hoping to find a sexy putter that fits my swing one of these days.  Is the Nike Method Converge S2-12 that putter?  Read on…

Honestly, I have never been a Nike fan.  I have never purchased any Nike clothes or equipment except for one pair of shoes.  As for golf equipment, I always try out new models at our local golf store when they arrive but Nike has never been kind to my swing.  I still look at putters, but Nike doesn't really fit into the sexy category for me.  They have also been too light to match my putting stroke.  So, why did I put my name in to review this putter?  Not sure, but I said to myself… WTH!

I received the Nike Method Converge S2-12 putter; the heaviest and shortest putter available from Nike's stock listing with a midsize grip.  The left-handed model, S1-12 shown second, looks different.  Why?  I don't know.

S2-12 (1).jpg

S1-12 (1).jpg

Nike says that this is a face-balanced putter for a straight putting stroke.  It's close, but this putter has a very slight droop in the toe.  Compare the Nike with the Boccieri in the photos below.  Also notice the difference in the balance point; the Nike balance point is much closer to the head.

IMG_4321 (1).jpgIMG_4335 (1).jpg

The length is 33 inches and according to the Nike Method Converge S2-12 specifications website, standard loft is 2.5*; custom +2* to -2*.  Standard lengths are 33, 34, 35 inches; custom 32 - 37 inches.  The lie is 70.0*; custom +2U to -2F.  The head weight is 360 grams for 33 inch putter and 345 grams for 34-37 inch putters, the shaft weight is 122.5 grams, and the grip weighs 76.0 grams.  Wait a minute!!  Nike gives the shaft weight to the nearest tenth of a gram, but doesn't tell you for what shaft length?  That's right!  The head weight varies because the shorter length gets two 10-grams weights while the longer lengths get two 3-gram weights.  So, with about 552 gram total weight this putter is a lot less than the 900 gram weight of my Boccieri Heavy Putter.  Will that weight difference really make a difference in my putting performance?  Stay tuned…

2. Looks    Score:  80 out of 100

For a mallet putter I like the looks of the Nike Method Converge S2-12.  It's easy to line up a putt, particularly using my ball alignment marking.

IMG_4331 (1).jpg

So, given the neat gun metal color, face-balance, and nice alignment aids, I should like this putter a lot.  Let's just say that I like this putter a little bit.  There are some detractors.  

IMG_4333.jpg

Notice all the nooks and crannies, places for water and dirt to hide.  I found it difficult to keep the putter head clean.  This pic shows some of the spots that accumulate. I play in the desert; my practice course has a lot of areas that have dirt; the wind blows a lot; and of course, moist grass adds to the mess.  A golf towel can't get into the sharp corners of this putter without a lot of effort.  You need a Q-tip.  I don't carry Q-tips.  Sorry.  

3. Feel    Score:  90 out of 100

Does the RZN in the face make any difference?  I don't even know what RZN means.  I looked it up on the internet (If it's on the internet, it must be true, right?); it could be an RZN file extension for Red Zion Notes, a Slovenian e-book application, or it could be a polymer resin that Nike had left over from their golf ball manufacturing process and they want to find another use for it.  

According to Nike, the RZN layer between 304 Stainless Steel softens the feel and delivers faster forward roll on the green.  It supposedly actively manages forgiveness, resulting in 10% tighter dispersion.  However, this claim does not state compared to what.  I assume that it is referencing 304 SS with no insert.  Nike does not mention the benefit of the RZN insert pattern.

The ball comes off the face of the putter a little hot, in my opinion.  It takes some getting use to, but that is probably just the difference between the RZN/stainless steel and the Boccieri stainless steel with a CNC milled face.  The sound is different coming of the face of these two putters.  You decide…  listen to the click of a Snell My Tour Ball coming off a 20 foot putt in this sound bite.  The first click is the Nike Converge; the second click is the Boccieri.  

Putter Review.mp3

I have always preferred the sound and feel of ball coming off a putter without an insert, and this Nike putter hasn't changed my mind.  The sound is not bad; it's just different.

Look and feel is very subjective.  I do really like the feel of the grip; there are no markings on the grip to indicate that the grip was made by a particular grip manufacturer.  It is one of the most comfortable putter grips I have felt in an off-the-shelf putter.  If I were looking for my first new putter and picked up this one, I would probably take it home because since it felt so good, it must work!  But this is why we do testing.  

4. Practice Green accuracy    Score:  85 out of 100 

Since my putting differs from day to day, I conducted a putting test over a two day period with the Nike Method Converge S2-12 against my Boccieri Heavy Putter C2-DF.  I used brand new Snell My Tour Balls for this test.  I did this test after I spent considerable time on the course getting the feel of the putter so it wasn't a cold feel test. 

I set up a straight line putt with marks at 5 feet, 10 feet, and 15 feet.  I rolled 25 putts each day from each position.  When I started, I rolled 5 putts from 5 feet, then 5 putts from 10 feet, then 5 putts from 15 feet; first with the Nike and then the same with the Boccieri.  After the second time of doing this test with 5 balls at each position, I made the decision to change the test format so I wasn't putting from the same place for every putt five times in a row.  I know, I know, I should stick to the test parameters but I tend to putt differently when I stand over the same putt and roll balls in one after the other.  So, instead of putting 5 balls from each position three more times, I alternated locations and putted with the Nike putter until I had completed another 15 balls for each location.  I started from 15 feet, then moved to 5 feet, then to 10 feet.  After putting with the Nike, I then switched to the Boccieri and completed the day's round of putts using the same method.  For the second day I used the same alternating position approach but I started with the Boccieri followed by the Nike.  So… what were the results?

% of Putts Made

5 feet       10 feet       15 feet

Nike                              94%         36%           20%

Boccieri                         94%         62%           34%

All putts missed with both putters were tap-ins, so no 3-putts.  The results show that both putters are decent for 5 foot putts, although I would like to improve that stat a little bit.  When you add in green read errors on these short putts, it's likely why I miss way to many of them during a round!  The Nike falls off quite a bit when the distance gets longer.  Nearly all of my misses were to the left, and I am not sure why.  It could be that I am more used to a heavier putter, and the Nike has a much lighter feel.  That might cause me to have a more arc swing as opposed to the more STBT swing that I have with my Boccieri.  It could also be the slight toe droop compared to the Boccieri.

I have to say that the results of this putting test surprised me a little.  I spend time each week practicing putts on greens at several courses in my area.  Each course has slightly different green speeds.  I typically start with a few putts to get a feel for the speed of the greens for that day; just rolling putts from 10-20 feet not really focusing on the line other than general breaks.  Then I pick a hole that is on a “gentle” slope and run through the clock drill from 4 feet then 8 feet.  I am not good enough to make them all, so I don't start over when I miss (I would probably be there all day!)  This particular test where I am hitting a straight putt from short, mid, and long range is not in my normal practice routine.  However, I will be adding it because I am surprised that I didn't make more putts.  I think I can attribute some of it to switching between a light and a heavy putter.  I will keep track of my putting stats using this approach with the Boccieri.  If nothing else, this test will ensure that my putter face is square at impact.

5.  On course performance   Score:   90 out of 100

My Nike Method Converge S2-12 putter arrived while I was out-of-town. When I got home in the early afternoon, I quickly took a few pics and posted my Unboxing; then headed to the course to spend a little time with it.  It's a lot lighter than my putter and took some getting used to, but I did pretty well with it over nine holes.  

First two holes were one-putt pars from 5-6 feet.  Two-putt par on #3; two-putt bogey on #4; one-putt par one #5 from 3 feet; two-putt par on #6; one-putt birdie on #7 from 25 feet; two-putt par on #8; and a one-putt birdie on #9 from 6 feet.  13 putts for 9 holes; not bad!  The putter had a few quirks that I will need to work with, but my first impression was positive.

Not bad for just getting out of a car from a 300 mile drive and not playing for a week.  Over the course of this review I played several rounds on various courses with different green speeds.  However, in the middle of this review I left for a two-week road trip that involved a golf school and a couple of rounds along the way.  I took my Boccieri Heavy Putter because I was the most familiar with it. 

When I got home, I played several more rounds with the Nike Method Converge S2-12 on fairly fast greens; the ball rolled very nicely.  I am not as consistent with the Nike as I am with my Boccieri, which validated the practice green putting test results, but the Nike is a putter that I probably could get used to.  On longish putts I have more difficulty getting the speed correct.  I am talking greater than 20 feet.  I seem to run some putts by more than tap-in distance or leave putts short.  The result is more 3-putts from long distance than I am used to.  I did not have a good feeling about the speed like I do with my Boccieri, but that might just be familiarity.  I will again attribute this to the difference in the overall weight of the putter compared to my gamer; 552g for the Nike vs. 900g for the Boccieri.  On short putts inside 15 feet like in my putting test, speed was not really an issue.  The harder I have to hit a putt, the more speed becomes an issue with the Nike.  I may need to spend more time with it.

I have made some long putts with the Nike, but overall I would say that the Nike putter does not fit my swing as well as the Boccieri.  However, this is the first mallet putter I have ever used, and that may also have an impact on my putting stroke.  

6. Likelihood of purchase    Score:   85 out of 100

I know that I am sort of an anomaly because of my gamer is unusually heavy; sorry about that.  If I had tried this Nike putter before I had found the Boccieri, I probably would have bought it.  I like the looks of it, I like the alignment system, and I think that with time I could get used to the lighter feeling.  It is probably the most stable light-feeling putter I have ever rolled.  So, would I buy it now?  Probably not.  The price listed on the putter when I received it was $204, but I have seen this putter on sale at most golf outlets for $170.  Is it worth it?  I think the Nike Converge would be better priced at $150 and discounted to $130, but that is just me.  Although I like the looks of the putter, the numerous cavities and angles make it difficult to keep clean.

Now, if I were looking to purchase a putter to modify, I would consider it.  Take a look at the heel and toe of the head.  I am not sure what the purpose is for the hollow cavities, but other than for collecting dirt and water, I could certainly put weight in both ends to increase the head weight without using unsightly lead tape.  No one would even know it's there.  Then adding a 200g back weight to the grip, I think I would like this putter a lot.  

7. Total Score/Conclusions     86 out of 100

In my line of work before I retired I conducted many comparisons of different alternatives, mostly various options for national security.  Nothing as important as a test of golf equipment!  Scoring these review sections is highly subjective.  One person could think that a category should be poorly rated and give it an 80, while for another person 80 might be the highest rating given.  That's why we have several testers conducting reviews.  It's up to the person using these reviews to determine if the pros and cons are worth considering a purchase.  Don't get hung up on the ratings; look at the testing results and what is written. 

So, my bottom line Average Score = 86  Is that good?  Actually I think it is.

No, I would not buy this putter with the specs received.  I don't think it fits my swing.  However, I think it could be a good putter for me if the specs were different.  Unfortunately, Nike only provides custom putters for length, lie and loft; not weight.  This putter has two weights that are used to adjust the head weight (2-3g weights for putters 34 inches and longer, or 2-10g weights for putters 33 inches and shorter).  Custom weights are not available.  Too bad.  The putter is just too light for me to make a stable swing.  It has potential, and I think I will be altering it.  For you golfers with a more conventional standard weight putter and with a SBST or maybe slight arc swing, I would give it a roll.  The Nike Method Converge S2-12 putter is actually the first Nike club that I would consider putting in my bag if I can modify it to fit.

I would like to thank MyGolfSpy for selecting me to conduct this test.  This is my first official MGS forum test, and I hope my results will be beneficial to golfers looking to give the Nike Method Converge S2-12 putter a roll.  I welcome all comments, and I will do my best to answer any questions.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I was very excited to find my new putter finally arrive at my front door

image.jpg

I quickly found my cutting implements and sliced the box open

image.jpg

I expected about 20 wraps of the bubble wrap and dozen roses but this is what it was ...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Next step is to remove stickers and plastic wrap the club was buried in

image.jpg

image.jpg

And then we had the business end...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Talk about a space age looking unit!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now the fun begins, and the testing starts!

To be continued!...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

A heartfelt thanks to MyGolfSpy for including me in this testing/review. If you stop and think about it, the putter is the club you hit more often than any other club in the bag, basically hit between 25-35 times per game. In my case, around 35-40% of my total strokes are accumulated with this one stick. So it makes sense to use one that you really like, right?

- General thoughts on Nike as a company, and Nike putters in particular - what were your opinions of the brand and Nike putters prior to the testing?

Being a lifer mizzy man, I never took the Nike clubs seriously at first, until Tiger started playing them. I thought his first Nike clubs were MP-33 clones. A few years later I had an opportunity to hit some VR Combo clubs and I really liked them.

image.jpg

If I wasn't a mizzy guy, I would be playing the pro combo's, but, that's another story.

Putting has never been my strength, I've posted numerous threads about it. I average around 34 putts a round when I'm playing well, and that's putting me around the 78 mark on the card. When I start shooting into the 80's, the putt count goes down because I'm missing the greens, and then chipping closer to the pin, which results in more one-putt greens. But that's a misleading stat in my brain because fewer puts should result in a lower score. Not visa-versa.

Due to this unfortunate trend, I really paid a lot of attention to the putter test 2 years ago when the top putter was the Nike mc-01. So I bought one! Actually my wife bought it for me for Christmas, with some pro coaching. Good job Hunni!

image.jpg

I had no idea what I was getting, and really no pre-conceived ideas or expectations I just decided to place my trust in GolfSpy's putter round up. I've always been a blade putter, and I've got 3 or 4 old ping ansers scattered about in my garage. I figured if they were good enough for the pros over the years, they were good enough for me.

image.jpg

- What do you like in a putter?

I'm not so sure about what I like vs what I don't like. It's almost that I'm a blade putter by default. Due to a string of many many years with Ping Answers in the bag, big mallet putters always seemed gihugic to me, and the weight was difficult to control. You really needed to have the perfect pendulum for correct distance. The weird putters, beginning with what I think was the Cameron Futura, were always too "busy" to my eye, and distracting. I mean really, who can putt looking down at a pop-art structure? Belly putters were just weird feeling, probably because I have too much belly in the way of really benefitting from the concept. Tall anchor putters were impossible for my brain to control. I mean it was like putting with one hand. Had there been no other choices, I'm sure I would have adapted, but, 50+ years of traditional putting seems to have placed me firmly into the "standard" blade style and stroke category. The one thing that it think is most important for a putter, is the ability to aim it correctly.

- what putters have you used in the past? Which did you like and why? Which didn't you like and why?

I really have only used Ping Ansers. For years upon years. I have dabbled with a few others, like a TM Rossa Daytona, and a Maltby PET, but they were all just clones of the Anser. Of those, only the Daytona was one I didn't care for. All the rest were virtually the same feeling. I can't really put my finger on why, but the TM was just inconsistent.

image.jpg

I think the insert really imparted a different speed into the ball, but honestly, I really don't know what it was. I played about three rounds with it, then kicked it to the curb as it did nothing for me. The old Maltby PET was actually a good stick, I bagged it for years.

image.jpg

Then one day I decided I needed a big fat grip like the pros use on TV, well because if it's good for them, it's good for me. Then I struggled for a year and couldn't figure out what the reason was.

FYI, a big grip isn't for everyone!

image.jpg

Then the Christmas came where I got my Nike Method Core MC-01, and my putting woes suddenly became manageable.

- Biggest challenges you have putting?

My problem is seeing the line, or reading the green. Try as I can, I'm rarely sure about a line, unless it's coming back after the first miss. I tend to miss the 6-8 foot putts that have a 2- ball turn one way or the other that I can't see. I have a lot of putts burn the edge, or lip out.

Fortunately though, I typically leave short finishing putts.

2. Looks: overall impressions of looks

- color scheme

I have to admit, when I unwrapped this putter, I was floored with how awesome it looked. I mean, serious Batmobile stuff.

image.jpg

Black satin with fire engine red inserts? How could anyone not find it to be a seriously menacing appearing tool? I mean there is nothing silly about it, like my neon green Seahawk tennis shoes!😁😁, or orange, yellow, blue, or whatever color of the month some companies like to fiddle with. It's close to the coolest looking blade putter of all time. Think Stealth Fighter Jet. Yea, you got it now...

image.jpg

- alignment aids

I think the stark contrast of red lines on the black satin finish is the highlight of this stick. I mean there is zero, nada, questions or ambiguity about where this unit is pointing. You pick your line, and it's almost criminally easy to aim the ball to follow your line. It's sort of like a good bird dog pointing at the pheasant in the bushes. You really don't wonder if it's pointing the right way, it's that apparent.

image.jpg

- head shape

Hey, it's a blade. What else do you need? I will tell you the one thing about the Method blades, is they are quite rectangular looking down at them. That in itself is a killer alignment reference. If your brain can't utilize right angles to help you align, then this won't help. However, I don't know anyone who can't do this, so rest assured, it will help you with alignment if that's an issue for you. It's a little wider at the base than your regular normal blade. I find that it also compliments the aiming process.

Score 1-100 95

3. Feel:

- How does the putter feel at impact?

The feel of this putter is very interesting, especially with the RZN insert.

image.jpg

I tend to use the whole face of the putter, not always by design either! On slippery downhill putts I like to hit it from the toe where it gives a muted "tic" sound, vs. a long uphill putt I like to hit in the sweetspot. The insert gives a softer feel, yet I don't seem to find a big difference in distance. Often I will miss the pure hit on the insert and catch some face. The feel is very telling that I missed the sweetspot, yet I'm not punished by it. I definitely like that, because a sweetspot that would produce a different distance would be disastrous to a putter like me. I'm just not that consistent in hitting the pure center of the putter face. Conversely, it does let you know when you do miss. But still overall, it's a very soft hit.

- How's the sound? Harsh? Soft?

The putter never sounds harsh at all, but it definitely feels soft and makes a "thud" noise when struck on center, unfortunately I don't always hit it pure😝. It's not a real loud tic, or click. But it's much quieter on, again, the pure center hit. I guess overall, I would consider it a "quiet" putter, if there is such a thing. Especially when struck on the insert. Compared to the original Method Core, it's downright quiet.

- Does the RZN in the face make any difference?

Definitely. Pure face strikes are very soft and quiet. Maybe a conceptual comparison would be ping-pong paddles. You have the harder paddles with 800 grit sandpaper face, and then they'd came out with the rubber faced paddles. They're both similar with the results but the rubber face is "softer" if you will. I think now especially with the new super soft balls, it's a completely different feel.

They claim it's more forgiving and expands the hole by 10%. Remember, that's only 5% per side. Does that prove out in layman testing and playing? Pretty hard to tell really, but the soft feel does seem to impart confidence, so in a sense, perhaps it's helpful.

Score 1-100 90

4. Practice Green Accuracy

- Try a ton of 5 foot, 10 foot and 15 foot putts - and records your stats.

Here is where the meat meets the rubber. I've had a few practice green marathons, and since I can't ever find a flat spot, most putts have a break of some degree in them. Once I figure out the break, the numbers change for the better obviously.

The 5 footers seem to go in at around an 80% rate, once I establish a line. It seems impossible to miss sometimes when I "know" the line.

The 10 footers suddenly become an adventure, at around 35% and even worse, the 15 footers are maybe 10%.

And this is all with having a "line"! In my world, something magically evil happens when the putts get a touch longer, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's my glasses or something. I have to rotate my head just a bit more for anything past the short putts, and I honestly believe my progressive grind in my glasses plays a part in this. Another factor in the longer putts is the green itself. A longer roll puts more irregularities into play that can adversely affect accuracy. One of the curses of getting older is the degeneration of your eyesight. I won't delve into the endless list of physical joys that beset us "mature" men, because basically I don't want to frighten all the youngsters. Let's just say you need to be tough to get old! But I digress. The short putts seem to be my sweetspot where I can maintain a good stroke that hits again and again. But once I get longer, I start missing more and more, even when I "think" I have a line. I'm always very close, edge burners, lip outs, etc. they just don't seem to drop. But I've never been a guy that drills longer putts with any regularity. I think it's more of an issue of body control rather than aim. On the good side, they're always pretty close.

image.jpg

This is a three ball set from about 45 feet.

- Is it easy to aim?

In a word, yes. The high contrast of the red lines on the black body, combined with the rectangular shape of the head make this a stupid easy club to aim. Really, a blind guy in a snowstorm, on the side of a cliff could get the ball lined up.

- Are your misses short, left or right?

Generally speaking, I try to miss on the uphill side. And I'm always striving to not leave it short. I always push to give every putt a chance, to a fault I suppose. I over read the break because I can't stand watching a putt break off right before the cup. Of course I have some misses that are short and fall inside, but I would say I'm in the 75% or better, long. It's not a right or left deal, because it depends on the break. I also have it in my brain that I can visualize the return putt better on a shot too long.

- How is distance control? Is it easy to be consistent with this putter?

This is one of the things I like about this putter. It's almost like tossing an underhand pitch to the cup. I am a shoulder-rocker putter. I have recently adapted a slight forward "bump" to get the motion started, then the wrists and elbows stay pretty quiet as I gently rock the ball along its way. It's not a heavy head, so I think it could get squirrelly if you jab at it, or try to flick your wrists at it. It seems very intuitive to to get consistant distances. I think this is why my three-putts have all but disappeared. I'm usually left pretty close to clean up. This is close to the same thing as my Method MC-01 putter, so I didn't have a difficult adjustment period. They are very much a "feel" putter, and require you to roll the ball with conviction and a confident stroke. Once you get that "feel" into your core muscles, it's almost a reflex action, instead of a reflux feeling like you get when you're 8 feet short or long. You will find that you seem to have a lot of tap-in second putts.

image.jpg

1-100 95

5. On course performance: this is the one that's important...

- Are you sinking putts with it? Has your average putts per round gone down? Fewer 3-putts? More birdies?

Unfortunately, I'm not draining everything I throw at the cup. In fact, it's rare I drop anything past 5 feet. I just don't have the eye to see the correct line. I play by myself quite often as I'm a very early riser. One thing I like to do after I finish a hole, is to re-putt the first miss, if time permits. After learning the line by watching the first putt, I actually do make more of the "practice" follow up putts than I used to. And I think that's one area where the ease-of-aiming shows itself.

This putter hasn't changed my score much over my original Nike Method MC-01, as that stick instantly improved my putting game.

Both sticks have provided what I consider to be a very important attribute, a shorter second putt! The converge insert provides a softer feel, but I can't say it is providing an increase in accuracy over the sight lines, nor a huge advantage over the original Method putter.

I do feel confident in saying that I have fewer 3- putts. It's not like I had a lot of them anyways, but it isn't something I find myself muttering about after a round. I spend more time crying about my inability to see the subtle lines, thus narrowly missing. I do put the ball on the line "I see", more often, unfortunately I "can't see" the correct line.

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian...

I guess I could say that I occasionally do have one of those games where I do seem to make a lot of putts, more so than the pre-Nike days

Score 1-100 95

6. Likelihood of purchase

- Would you lay out the green for this putter? Is it priced right for its quality/performance?

Absolutely yes, it's a no brainer.

Nike has hit a home run with the Method line of putters IMHO.

image.jpg

If you have trouble lining up your putter face to your line, these putters will put an end to that the very first time you look down at a putt. It's almost funny how easy it is. It is deadly accurate. It's got a soft feel and sound that's very pleasant to the senses. Compared to the "money" putters, it's a down right bargain for the price, and if you look around, you can even get them a tad cheaper too.

image.jpg

Score 1-100. 100

7. Total score/conclusions:

- Total up and average out the score

****95****

- Final thoughts and opinions.

It's a bit different looking from the original Nike MC-01, but yet still kind of the same. Dead sexy looking, with incredible aiming marks. I think some people will like the insert, but others might not. I can't say I don't like it, but since I use so much of the face, it's almost an odd thing. But for sure, it tells you when you hit it purely. Is it really an advantage, or kind of a gimmick? I don't know. I didn't personally find it to be a life altering addition to the putter. But I can't deny that every time I pull the head cover off, I'm a bit excited just looking at the darn thing. It's so modern, and kind of space age looking, and undeniably sexy. It definitely is a softer feeling putter, and a more muted sounding stick than the original Method.

The one thing that is undeniable, is lining it up. The black body with the red highlights is so easy to see, its rediculous. I'm almost surprised a laser beam doesn't shoot out. Remember the first time you put a square on a 2X4 to make a line for your cut? It's really that easy. That process becomes an afterthought, and your time becomes more concentrated on establishing your putting line. For those who have that skill, you will really become a nasty guy to bet against...

One thing I have noticed though, after a few rounds, the putter starts getting a bit, shall we say, dirty?

image.jpg

It's got so many nooks, slots, crannies for stuff to get into, in addition to the black satin color, that it gets a bit grubby. I'm not a guy who washes his clubs after a round, so that's the way it goes I suppose. It's like having a black Corvette. It looks insane when it's clean, but if you don't wash it everyday, it gets a bit neglected looking, yet still performs handsomely.

image.jpg

Another thing that bothered me was that my first Method putter came with a magnetic closing cover, and this one has velcro. Obviously a nit-picky complaint, but I really like the magnetic cover...

image.jpgimage.jpg

The counterbalance:

I also wanted to touch on another facet offered with this club that didn't come with our "tester versions". As I was poking about reading the internet I found a few words about the factory option shaft with the adjustable counter weight in the handle.

image.jpgimage.jpg

This could probably be an option that truly sets this flat sick apart from other putters. As it is now, it's very similar to my mc-01, but better looking with the soft face. If they were looking for an assessment of everything this club brings, it would have been nice to have everything it's got available, but they didn't, so the review will really be able to cover the basics of the club. Kinda like testing a new Corvette but only having a 200 HP V6, instead of a 450 HP V-8. With that said, here are a few words from the Internet about that version:

""DISTANCE CONTROL: When the counterbalance is set properly, lag putting is intuitive and easy; face insert delivers consistent roll, helping players dial in distances; long, oversize grip and large Anser-style head add to forgiveness.

FEEL: Testers are thrilled with multiple counterbalance settings—a sliding weight in the shaft can be moved above the hands, even with the hands or below the hands—to customize the club's weighting and feel; the face insert is soft, and it resonates with feedback that's about the same on center and off-center hits.""

As you can see, it seems apparent that the counterbalanced shaft handle could be a huge component to getting a truly personalized putter that maximizes your personal swing. It could be the option that really does make someone pull the trigger, although I think the price steps up a tad with the counterbalance shaft. It's unfortunate we weren't able to see how much this option affected the stick. By description, it seems to be the major contributor to what sets this putter apart.

Final analysis:

A solid, accurate, good looking and wonderful feeling putter that is very affordable, especially when compared to "big name" putters. I thought my original Nike Method Core was fantastic. I now think the "Converge" is even better.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I was fortunate enough to be selected to test and review the new Nike Golf Converge putters. Thanks to MGS  and Nike Golf for the opportunity.

I was following the thread and noticing some of the other testers were starting to receive their putters from Nike, and mine had not arrived yet...  I was starting to wonder a bit, but I finally did get a notification email from FedEx that a package was delivered to my front door on a Friday!!!  Needless to say, I was quite excited to get home and see what was waiting for me!!

front door.jpg

WHAT???  WHERE IS MY PUTTER!!!??!!!

SWIMBO had gotten home a little before me and moved the package inside.  When I saw it, I thought that I was testing a Driver, not a putter. This is the biggest box for a single club that I have ever seen.

box.jpg

Here it is with my driver as a frame of reference....

Box and driver.jpg

I opened up the box and hopefully found the answer to my putting woes inside. A Nike Method Converge B1 01 Putter.  Specs are 34" standard lie and grip.

converge putter sole.jpg

packaging.jpg

converge putter in box.jpg

It is a very sharp looking putter initially.  There are some noticeable sight lines and alignment aids that are quite different from my current putter.

converge putter address.jpg

The coolest thing about this putter is the matte grey finish and the VERY RED alignment aids.

converge putter face.jpg

converge putter toe 2.jpg

One thing that I am not a huge fan of is the head cover.  The muted grey ties right in with the putter, but I think that in the market today, a more vibrant head cover would help. (Think Limited Edition SC.)

converge hc side.jpg

converge hc flat.jpg

I had to make some adjustments to the length and lie angle of this putter so that is would fit me and my putting stroke, and allow me to more accurately gauge its performance. All of these adjustments were done at Fiddlers Green Golf Center in Eugene Oregon.  

I am a Nike Guy. I wear Nike shoes almost 95% of the time. I wear Nike apparel 90% of the time. It is a rare time that I do not have some piece if Nike gear on. I live about 95 miles from Nike World Headquarters. 

I have never owned a Nike Golf Club, or worn a pair of Nike Golf Shoes. It is not because I don't want to like to product, or I am stuck on certain brands, it is just that other products have worked better. I will give this putter my complete and utter attention, and best chance to earn a place in the bag. 

converge putter back 2.jpg

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

First off, Thanks to MGS for this opportunity. I love the opportunity to review products. I try to be as objective as possible with every review.

I am convinced that putting was conceived by the devil as a way to make us pay for our sins. Apparently, I have been BAD.

Here are some things that you should know about me and putting. I am the worst putter that you will ever know. This is not hyperbole. I am not having a bad putting week or month, or even a bad year…  I am having a bad putting life. It has been this way since I started playing golf in 1986. There have been spurts of mediocrity interspersed in the 29 years of terrible putting, but as a body of work, my putting could easily be described as the worst on the planet. Obviously, I am slightly better than someone who has just picked up a putter for the first time, and have the benefit of 29 years of “Green Reading” behind me… But I am still horrific.

Here are a couple of examples of my putting prowess.   

· I played in a 2 day Pro Am, and had 87 putts for the 2 days.  That is 43 one day, and 44 the next.  I shot 86/84.

· I hit Driver/4 Hybrid to 6 feet on a 535 par 5.  I had to lip in a shaky 5 footer for par.

· I have hit myself with a putt.

· If I can make it around the course with fewer than 36 putts, it's a really good day.

I have tried every possible putter and method you can imagine. Long, short, belly, cross handed, claw, saw, one handed, Left handed versions of all of these. I am equally bad with everything.

I try almost everything that comes through the door. I am reticent to buy anything anymore, because I just KNOW that it will not work. I have no loyalty to any brand, or head style. I am purely results oriented.

General impressions/preconceived notions

General thoughts on Nike as a company, and Nike putters in particular - what were your opinions of the brand and Nike putters prior to the testing?

My Opinion of the Nike brand is VERY Positive. I live 95 miles from Nike World Headquarters, and the brand is prevalent in everyday life here. We wear Nike apparel, Nike Running shoes, and Uncle Phil has donated Millions to the University (and not only the football team).

However, IMO, the golf division has a difficult time creating products that resonate with the golfing population with the same passion that they do in other sports. I have been in the golf business long enough to remember the first Nike Golf shoes, woods, irons, balls ect. I have only owned 2 pair of Nike shoes, and not a single Nike Golf club. For whatever reason, I cannot seem to find one that performs better than other products on the market. I remain optimistic.  Our shop sells a Ton of Nike product, From Drivers to putters to apparel. I believe that this is due partially to our proximity to Beaverton, and also because it is excellent product. I have just not been able to find a winner for myself.

Nike Putters have always piqued my interest, especially since the advent of the Method Putters in 2010. There were some pretty unusual designs prior to the introduction of the Method.  Remember the IC series putters??

What do you like in a putter?

What I am looking for in a putter is consistency. I need it to be more consistent than me. I want something that will cover my mistakes, but roll the appropriate distance. I also need something that is easy to line up.

I have tried nearly every putter released in the past 15 years.

In that time, I have owned and “putted” with…

· Ping Scottsdale Anser - In the bag now.

· Odyssey DFX 2 ball

· Macgregor Bobby Grace M5K

· Scotty Cameron Newport

· Scotty Cameron Mil Spec Pro Platinum Newport

· Macgregor Bobby Grace M1

· Ping Craz-E

· Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Long

· Acushnet Bullseye

Biggest challenges you have putting?

Getting the ball in the hole in fewer than 3 shots. Most of my putting woes are from missing the 4-10 footers that I have left for par.  I tend to miss left/right and short/long. Anyone got a cure for that??

Looks:   

To the Putter Review.

I find the visuals of this putter appealing. The colors are muted and easy on the eye. I really like the red alignment aids.

converge putter address.jpg

It is very easy to align the putter head at my intended target. The head shape that Nike chose to send me based on my stroke path is very similar to my current putter except the head is about 30% larger from leading edge to trailing edge.  It has a little more of a mallet feel to in the body of a blade. This does help to inspire confidence.

I hate the headcover.

I mentioned this in the unboxing. Just because the putter is grey, the headcover does not need to be so boring. Come on Nike!!!  Take a page from the guys at @oregonFBequip and spice things up a bit!  

Score 85/100 – due to the HC.

Feel:   

The sound this putter makes is muted and solid on center hits, and has more of a click on off center shots (I am more familiar with this sound). The sound this putter makes is pleasing on center hits, but leaves something to be desired where I make contact.

80/100 – not great for crappy putters.

Practice Green accuracy:

I was able to spend quite a bit of time on the putting green with both this putter and my current Ping Anser on multiple days. I went to the putting green at the shop nearly every day for 3 weeks at lunch and hit putts of various distances.  I was not able to record total numbers of putts hit and made, but kept a log of my impressions after each session. The results were telling. On putts from 0-5 feet, the Nike Method Converge was slightly better. I had more makes at this critical distance that with my Ping Anser. From 10-20 feet, and from 20+ the Anser was the clear winner. What I found was that the Nike Converge has a tendency to launch the ball at different speeds, and sometimes much faster than I anticipate. I was able to overcome this on the 5 footers, because I line the putter up so well. However, on the 10+ foot putts, my misses were MUCH larger than with the Ping. I would end up 5 feet long or short on flat putts, and as much as 20+ feet too long on downhill putts. I was sure that with some practice this would fade, and that I would get some feel for  distance control. I did not. I am much better at controlling the distance of putts with my Anser, but I hit the line better with the Nike.  

I also used the PING Putting app to measure my performance with both putters.

This is a very good way to measure putting stroke performance and compare multiple putters.

photo 1.PNGphoto 2.PNGphoto 3.PNGphoto 4 (1).PNG

As you can see, I am slightly more consistent with the Ping.

Score 75/100  I am happy with the consistency from short range, but if I am missing 20 foot putts 5+ feet long and short, there is something wrong with the insert.. Or me.

On course performance:

I don't play as much golf as some of the fellas on the boards. I would like to, but other responsibilities get in the way. I was able to make it out for 2 rounds so far in during this test. I was hoping that the make percentage from 5 feet that I was seeing on the putting green would carry over to the course, and that I would somehow magically figure out the pace of this putter.

Not to be. Lets just say that I had a lot of “Those length putts” for Pars and Bogies in my last two rounds. The example above of Driver/4 hybrid was last week.  After a few holes of missing the pace as bad as I was, I got VERY gun shy over every putt coming in. Not the most conducive was to approach putting.

Score 55/100 - Again, I am sure that with a lot more time a practice, or in the hands of a better putter, this wand could be amazing. I wield it like Ron Weasley. Makes me barf slugs.

Quality/performance

The build quality of this putter is as good as anything else in the putter corral in its price range. The thing looks so mean laying against the wall.  I am not experiencing the 10% tighter dispersion claims that Nike makes about the RZN insert. I do like the feel on center hits, but wish that the speed off of the putter face was much more consistent. Perhaps a non insert model.......

Score 75/100 - On looks alone.

Total score/conclusions:

I was told there would be no math... Total score...  Lets see... Carry the one..  Square root?? Just kidding.

74/100 - Solid C.

Average putter for me. I would have a hard time putting this particular putter in the bag for a big tournament. I just do not feel confident enough that I could lag it close when it mattered. I wish that there was a non-insert version of this putter, or the original Method face version available. I found that face to be exceptionally consistent. I think that there is a market for this putter. Players that hit the sweet spot more often than me, or someone who has better distance control than me would really like this putter.  The real question of “Would you buy this putter with your own money” is the one that I look for at the end of all reviews. The short answer is “No”. It is just no better than what I play now, and does not make my game any better. I might take it to the course for a cup of coffee, but I would end up returning it at the end of the day.

Sorry Uncle Phil....  See you at Thanksgiving?

converge putter sole.jpg

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Thank you to MygolfSpy and Nike Golf for this awesome opportunity. When I first read the announcement that I was picked I had to double check to make sure I read it right but after the initial shock I was able to get my mailing information in and brace myself for the hardest part of the job, waiting for the delivery. After a bit of time on high alert waiting for any signs of the delivery truck I had finally began to get my mind off the review, but after checking my emails I noticed a post from one of the other testers stating that their putter had just arrived. I all but ran to the front door narrowly avoiding trampling the dog in the process and sure enough there it was, Nike logo and all.

door picture.JPG

I quickly brought it inside and immediately began the process of freeing the putter from its cardboard prison.

IMG_1108.jpg

My First Impressions on the Putter were how much sleeker it looked in person then on the internet and how much heavier it was then any putter I have used up to date, the red and black finish really stands out and gives it a nice touch and the grip is by far the best Ive ever seen on a stock putter.

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

I've been using Nike gear for close to 3 years now and can't wait to get started on the review and hope yall enjoy it as much as I do! 

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

First of all, thank you for the opportunity to test the Nike Converge Putter.  I have thoroughly enjoyed testing this putter and I am eager to share what I have learned.  I have played Nike golf for a few years now and I have always had positive experiences with their equipment,  so my expectations for this putter were high from the start.  

As a company, Nike has defined itself as a brand that is not afraid to veer away from the conventional and test the boundaries in order to provide the public with top of the line equipment.  This risk taking approach has led to big hits like the SlingShot Irons and the Covert Driver and now, in my opinion, the Converge Putter.

Putting, especially short to mid-range, has always been the weakest part of my game, so I have tried many different makes and models to find a spark around the greens. I started out with the AP40, but it was too much of an antique for tournament golf so I tried the Nike IC 20-10.  This putter was one of my favorites. When I choose a putter I look for a heavier more compact stable head with clean lines and an effective alignment aid.

2. Looks

When I first saw the photos of the Converge line I wasn't too sure I liked the looks, but after I opened the box and actually saw it for myself, I immediately took a liking to it. I've always liked blade style putters and was fortunate enough to fit the profile for the B1|01 model.

The head is reminiscent of the Ping Anser and Seemore putters, very easy to square up, extra width in the head gives the putter a bit of a hybrid blade-mallet look that says forgiving precision.The red on black color scheme provides a really good contrast that helps make alignment simple and easy, along with a touch of style without getting too gaudy.

IMG_1279.jpg

90-100.

3. Feel

IMG_1274.jpg   

I would have to describe the feel as firm with a real spring at impact. The resin does give it a bit of a muffled feel on pure strikes but not quite as soft as some others I've tried, that being said once you adjust to it the feel really grows on you.

85-100.

4. Practice Green Accuracy

This is where I saw the biggest differences between the Converge and my gamer. After an adjustment period where I saw my distance control vanish, I began to see drastic improvement in both distance and direction on short, mid, and long putts. Inside 5 feet is automatic and I can easily see a 20% increase on mid and long putts. On occasion, it is possible to gas lag putts a few feet past the hole but I would attribute that to user error more then anything.

95-100.

5. On Course Performance.

IMG_1270.jpg

Since I began to use this putter on the course I have began to see putting as less of a crutch and more of a weapon. Putts that would have ended a few inches shy are beginning to fall, and lip outs are dropping in. I can easily see my average dropping by 3-4 putts a round.

95-100.

6. Likelihood of Purchase.

I am truly impressed with how well Nike has done with this putter and at $200 its reasonably priced when you compare it to other companies' premium lines. If I had the funds this would definitely be a very appealing option for purchase.

90-100.

7. Total Score\Conclusions.

I had high expectations for this putter from the start and it has not disappointed me in the least. Great looking flatstick with great results, and for a reasonable price. If your in the market for a new putter you would do well to give the Nike Method Converge B1|01 a good long look. 

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Here we go, the packaging was kind of plain, but it was normal for golf clubs. My initial thought was please let it be Left handed. It was. The putter looked nice, I didn't like all of the stickers, I spent a half an hour removing all of them, I'm not used to standard length putters, but this one felt pretty good, It has good balance, and It putted well on the carpet even with the plastic wrap on the head and grip. (Just seeing if I liked the feel). Here are some pics of the putter, and there will be more to come to review near you.......

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

1. General impressions/preconceived notions. I'll have to admit when the request for testing of nike putters was announced, I almost didn't put my name in because I am really not a Nike fan, so when it comes to golf or anything really I tend not to look at Nike, when I think of basketball or baseball or other field sports I think of Nike. I never look at Nike golf stuff, mostly because I think there stuff is garbage. So as you can see I have no desire to own much of anything with the Nike logo on it. So why did I put my name in for testing a Nike putter, well, that was easy, I am an inconsistent, horrible putter, let's face it when it comes to putting, I pretty much suck. I needed to try something so I put my name in. I was not expecting much, since not many stores carry Nike putters, I have never really seen any or putted with one. I choose pretty much all of my clubs by looks and feel, if it looks good to my eye at address, then I will give it a shot, if it has good feel, then it has a chance for purchase, and s spot in the bag. The putter is no different, I currently play the TM spider 72 mallet 38” counterbalance, and face balanced, I have used the odyssey #9 style putters in the past, the 9 did not really fit my putting style, with the putter that promoted big arc, I could never get consistent strikes on the ball, so I was fighting myself trying to putt. The face balanced putters seem to help with getting more consistent ball strikes with the putter, and getting the ball started on line. The putter that was sent to me by Nike is the S1-12.

2. Looks. Score 70. Although I like the color scheme (charcoal gray and red lines), the overall look of the club is much like a small plate on the end of a shaft. There needs to be something that breaks up the round shape. Overall I'm not overly impressed with the shape of the club. The alignment lines on the putter do make it easy to line up, I like the red line, versus, standard white lines, they aren't as bright, but are very easy to see. The shape of the head really brings the score down for me. Also being left handed, they don't make every model in LH, so we are stuck with the one two models that are offered.

3. Feel. Score 85. I really thought the putter has pretty good feel, it is very well balanced, the only downfall that I have with it is how light it feels. Although the head weight is the same as the spider 72, It feels and plays much lighter. The head weight is 360g, but feels more like 330g.

4. Practice green accuracy. Score 85. On the practice green the putter performed pretty well, from 5 feet: 95%, from 10 feet: 75% and from 15 feet: 45%. These numbers are very normal for me on the practice green. Generally I putt well on the practice green from short and decent from medium, and poor from distance. The main reason for the poor putting from distance is from being short, I simply couldn't get the ball to the hole, and that carried over to the course.

5. On course performance. Score 88 On the course this putter performed pretty well, I was not expecting much, but my 3 putting numbers decreased, the putter felt great, the only issue I had with it was getting the ball to the hole on long putts. I don't generally make very many birdie putts, although I do putt for birdie a lot, I don't make very many. Was I hoping that this putter would fix that, not really, I was looking for it to decrease my 3 putts, and maybe give more consistency while lag putting, my biggest issue while putting is from 4-5 feet, one thing I really liked about this putter is the confidence I had from that distance, although I didn't make all of them, I did make many more than I missed. That is a plus in my book, I felt like I could get the ball started on line much easier with this putter than others.

6. Likelihood of purchase. Score 50 Since no one around here carries these putters in stock, I wouldn't purposely look to purchase. The price on the putter when it arrives said $204. This putter would be much better served at the 130-150 price range. If this putter was at the store I probably wouldn't even pick it up much less buy it.

7. Total Score. 378. Final thoughts. Although I don't like that this putter feels light, and looks horrible. I really enjoyed using this putter, I don't know that it will stay in the bag, but I will continue to use it for a while, it has really improved my putting from 4-5 feet, that is where I lose many shots. Nike is not a company that man of us look at when looking for golf stuff, or putters, but that doesn't mean that the don't produce a good product. The biggest downfall of this putter is all of the nooks and crannies in the head of the putter. The photo doesn't show the dirt and grass, but you can see the gaps and holes. If you do decide to purchase this putter, you will also need to purchase one of those cans of air that you use to clean your electronics, so you can blow out the putter head during the round. Overall I would encourage you to not judge a book by the cover, or by the name on it in this case. You never know where your next great club may come from, personally I don't care for Nike, but in this case, aside from all of the cracks and holes that collect dirt and grass, this putter is very good. I think that all putters have pros and cons, some more than others, the pros on this one outweigh the cons, although I haven't fallen completely in love with this putter, I also don't completely hate it either. As I said earlier, will keep it in the bag for a bit longer and continue to give it a look.

Thanks for reading, if you have any questions, feel free to ask any of us, we will be glad to give you feedback. As others have said, a big thank you to MGS for choosing me for this test, and giving me the opportunity to give my opinion of a putter that I otherwise would not have even taken off the rack.

I couldn't get the photos to attach the way I wanted so hopefully you can still see them

putter5.jpg

putter1.jpg

putter2.jpg

putter4.jpg

putter 3.jpg

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

First unboxings are up....nice job boys!!!!

Kor.A.Door

Sluggo42

KennyB

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Before this test I have never given Nike much thought on their clubs. I have always loved all their apparel but would not go looking for their putters.  In the past I have gone to Golfsmith and tested out and selected a putter that was a good fit. There was no real rhyme or reason on selection of putters it was just feel. I currently have been using the Oddessy Sabretooth with the fat grip.  I like the feel and balance of this specific putter.  I think like most people my biggest challenge putting is my consistency.

2. Looks:  

This putter looks BAD ASS. I love the lines and the colors.  The grip feels amazing and the head cover is A+. 

Score 100

3. Feel:

This putter has a nice soft feel. The ball comes off the club with a nice soft sound.  I think the face makes the ball come of soft and not jump off the face of the club. I got a great roll off this putter.

Score: 90

4. Practice Green accuracy:

The string red lines made it nice and easy to aim the putter.  It took a while to get a feel for the distance of my putts. I was going long a lot at the beginning but once I was able to dial in the distance I started to have a lot of fun.  For me the putter was very consistent and I was able to make longer puts that were giving me a lot of issues in the past.

Score: 92

5 On course performance:

I was only able to get out for 3 rounds with this putter. I was able to notice the difference the more I have played from it. Not a huge drastic difference but I am getting a better feel for putting that I have not had before. I am not making more birdies but the # of putts has been shrinking. 

Score: 95 

6. Likelihood of purchase:

Before testing I would have said that my likelihood of purchase would have been very low. The reason for that is because I rarely see demo Nike putters in stores around me. But after testing I will say that this is a very good putter and I would have no problem spending on this club.

Score: 90

7. Total score/conclusions:

BIG fan of this putter. The looks are great and the feel on the green are awesome.  This is a quality product and I would not hesitate to purchase.

FINAL SCORE: 95

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

:cobra-small: Bio Cell, Ozik 6Q3 Red Tie Regular

:cobra-small: 3W Baffler XL

:cobra-small: Bio Cell 2/3

:cobra-small: Bio Cell 4/5

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ Regular 5-GW

:callaway-small: 56 Mack Daddy

:callaway-small: 58/10 Mack Daddy

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite West Loop 34

Kirkland Balls

First off I want to thank the people at MGS and Nike for the opportunity to test out this putter.

I have been excited for this bad boy to arrive.  When I came home from vacation the Nike box was waiting for me.

Packaging:

Putter came in a box that was labeled for an iron set. Not sure if this is what they normally send putters in. Packaging was very minimal with the putter wrapped in shipping paper:

Unpacking:

It came in a ton of plastic wrap, but there were red strips inside the wrap that made it easy to take off. Like the strip you find on a pack of cigarettes or gum.  Once I took the plastic off my next mission was to take off all of the stickers.

First impression:

First thing that I noticed is that I LOVE the grip.  It is medium sized grip but it was very tacky and had some give to it.  Felt amazing in my hands.  The putter has some weight to it which is defiantly a plus in my book.  I am also a huge fan of the head cover. It is Heavy Duty and is a high quality well-made cover and looks like it would take a lot to damage it.  The gunmetal and red look Bad ass. I just cant get over how nice this putter looks.

I am a big fan of this putter by looks. I can't wait to take it out and see how it does.  Because I could use the help

20150915_161517.jpg

20150915_161644.jpg

20150915_161703.jpg

20150915_161718.jpg

20150915_161720.jpg

20150915_161810.jpg

20150915_161818.jpg

20150915_161826.jpg

20150915_161834.jpg

20150915_161843.jpg

:cobra-small: Bio Cell, Ozik 6Q3 Red Tie Regular

:cobra-small: 3W Baffler XL

:cobra-small: Bio Cell 2/3

:cobra-small: Bio Cell 4/5

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ Regular 5-GW

:callaway-small: 56 Mack Daddy

:callaway-small: 58/10 Mack Daddy

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite West Loop 34

Kirkland Balls

Last two unboxing posts are up...

JustHiggz

EthanSterlingPrice

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 2 weeks later...

Kenny,

I know it doesn't help you now, but the easiest way I've found to remove the grip plastic is to grab it with both hands and twist back and forth like you're wringing out a wash rag over and over. It'll eventually all turn loose and separate at the seam.

MmmmmBuddy, did you get 2 putters? Pics have 2 different putters is why I ask. Well now that I look several guys have different putters or covers in their posts... Wonder if it's an iOS thing where it's mixing posts up.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Wow!  My mouth is watering just looking at the opening posts.......These are very nice looking putters. And the reviews are just around the corner......

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Kenny,

I know it doesn't help you now, but the easiest way I've found to remove the grip plastic is to grab it with both hands and twist back and forth like you're wringing out a wash rag over and over. It'll eventually all turn loose and separate at the seam.

MmmmmBuddy, did you get 2 putters? Pics have 2 different putters is why I ask. Well now that I look several guys have different putters or covers in their posts... Wonder if it's an iOS thing where it's mixing posts up.

Same Putter, but the pics were taken at different times of day in different light.

Same Putter, but the pics were taken at different times of day in different light.

There's 2 different ones in your post is what I'm saying. This is a screen cap from your post so you can see what I'm talking about:

D2207E71-F409-4906-9985-472583FCE6CB_zps

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

This is 2 posts combined.  Second pic is mine.  Top pic is JustHiggz.  How these are showing up on my post is quite strange... 

It's like that for several of the testers posts. That's why I asked as its in the middle of the posts. Wonder if it's iOS?

In The Bag

• 2 weeks later...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Next review is up --- check out what Sluggo42 has to say!

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/14560-member-testing-nike-converge-putters/?p=179977

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Just finished posting review..

thoughts??

Interesting read Nic.  I can agree with you about the ball coming off the face a little hot.  When I first got mine, I was long and short with it on medium to long putts.  I thought it was just because the Nike was so much lighter than my putter.  However, the more time I spent with it, the better I got judging the correct distance. I would have thought that the RZN may be beneficial, but my testing didn't show that.  I think it's a matter of comparing a new club to what you are used to and most comfortable with (sorry for the bad grammar).  You will have more confidence with your Anser, which translates into better putting.  

Your description of the testing suggests that you spent a considerable time with both putters.  How much time did you spend with the Nike to the exclusion of the Ping?  When I got my Nike, I put my Boccieri in the garage for several weeks and used the Nike exclusively for putting practice and rounds played.  The honeymoon was not that kind to my score, but I wanted to get as much feel for the putter as possible.  I did not begin the putter test until I felt that I wasn't getting any better on the course with the Nike.  Believe me, when on the course I can tell when my putting sucks and it did when I first started using the Nike.

Wow! That's all I can say about your putting consistency.  You will shoot some really great scores when your putting improves.  Thank you for making me feel better about my putting!  :)  We still have to get together to play on one of my trips to the valley (or Bend).  Rainy season coming though.

When I was comparing putters on the practice green, I was consistently switching so that I would not adjust to any particular idiosyncrasy of a certain club. This is a trick that I use when fitting good players for equipment. A really good player can adjust for whatever you give him in a very short time.  My goal was not to make compensations for the putter, but see which putter worked better for me. 

You would think that with a semi consistent stroke, I could hole a few putts.... 

Archived