Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MEMBER TESTING: NIKE CONVERGE PUTTERS

GolfSpy Barbajo

I don't see how you could get a feel for the putter by constantly switching back and forth between your old putter. It's like you're not allowing yourself to become one with it. I found it to be a little shorter than my original method the first day, but after a few days, my muscle memory adjusted to the new putter, and that's when the magic of it started.

It's just my opinion, but I feel like you never committed to it, so you were constantly at war with it, because you kept expecting it to behave like the putter you're used to?

Just my $.02

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I don't see how you could get a feel for the putter by constantly switching back and forth between your old putter. It's like you're not allowing yourself to become one with it. I found it to be a little shorter than my original method the first day, but after a few days, my muscle memory adjusted to the new putter, and that's when the magic of it started.

It's just my opinion, but I feel like you never committed to it, so you were constantly at war with it, because you kept expecting it to behave like the putter you're used to?

Just my $.02

I wasn't expecting anything. I was just observing the results as they were presented. All I was trying to project was that the RNZ insert was no magic bullet for me.  YMMV.  I am by no means finished testing this putter. Winters here are long and wet. I will spend some more quality time with the Converge in the next few months and see if she warms up.  

All I was implying is that if I were to pick this putter up in the shop, it would not have made it into the bag.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I agree with Sluggo on this one.  By constantly switching back and forth, you are comparing an unfamiliar club with your old tried and true.  You will naturally have more confidence with your gamer.  I think putters are different in that respect from drivers because they have a greater "feel" component to them.  I can go into a golf shop and pick up most any putter and it will feel different from mine, and I won't really like it much.  That was how the Nike felt to me initially.  It was so much lighter.

After playing with it for several weeks, I got used to the lighter feeling, something I never did with any other putter in a store.  After the trial period, I could putt pretty well with the Nike, just not as good as my Boccieri.  I had a distinctive miss to the left with it that I would like to figure out, since the alignment aids are really great in my opinion.

In my review remember that after a couple of rounds of the putter test, I switched to only using one putter until I completed all putts, then switched to the other putter.  I did that because the putters felt so different, and I wanted to maintain a feel for each putter throughout the test.  

Changing a club is just like changing a swing habit.  It will feel different, and that difference is uncomfortable.  It's easy to go back quickly to what's comfortable.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I agree with Sluggo on this one.  By constantly switching back and forth, you are comparing an unfamiliar club with your old tried and true.  You will naturally have more confidence with your gamer.  I think putters are different in that respect from drivers because they have a greater "feel" component to them.  I can go into a golf shop and pick up most any putter and it will feel different from mine, and I won't really like it much.  That was how the Nike felt to me initially.  It was so much lighter.

After playing with it for several weeks, I got used to the lighter feeling, something I never did with any other putter in a store.  After the trial period, I could putt pretty well with the Nike, just not as good as my Boccieri.  I had a distinctive miss to the left with it that I would like to figure out, since the alignment aids are really great in my opinion.

In my review remember that after a couple of rounds of the putter test, I switched to only using one putter until I completed all putts, then switched to the other putter.  I did that because the putters felt so different, and I wanted to maintain a feel for each putter throughout the test.  

Changing a club is just like changing a swing habit.  It will feel different, and that difference is uncomfortable.  It's easy to go back quickly to what's comfortable.  

I completely understand what you are saying regarding old vs new and the different feel. I should have mentioned this in my review. I took the Nike Converge and alters it so that the specs were the same as my Ping Anser. Same Length, Lie, Swingweight, grip size and total weight.  I wanted as close to an apples to apple comparison as I could get. 

I thought a lot last night about both Kenny's and Sluggo's comments about not giving the putter a fair chance by switching back to my old putter so often. All I can say is that I am not ever going to fit my game to a piece of equipment, just like I would not fit my feet in to a pair of ill fitting shoes because I liked the look. I have played this game for nearly 30 years, and trying to relearn pace for putts is not something that I am interested in. I am sure that some players will find the RZN insert and this putter a perfect fit for them.  As of today, with the testing that I have done so far, I would play something else.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

I completely understand what you are saying regarding old vs new and the different feel. I should have mentioned this in my review. I took the Nike Converge and alters it so that the specs were the same as my Ping Anser. Same Length, Lie, Swingweight, grip size and total weight.  I wanted as close to an apples to apple comparison as I could get. 

I thought a lot last night about both Kenny's and Sluggo's comments about not giving the putter a fair chance by switching back to my old putter so often. All I can say is that I am not ever going to fit my game to a piece of equipment, just like I would not fit my feet in to a pair of ill fitting shoes because I liked the look. I have played this game for nearly 30 years, and trying to relearn pace for putts is not something that I am interested in. I am sure that some players will find the RZN insert and this putter a perfect fit for them.  As of today, with the testing that I have done so far, I would play something else.

No worries mate, it was just an opinion on how my brain saw it. Your thoughts are totally valid as that's why 6 different people test the unit. Everyone has a different concept. It was only a projection of how my brain sees it.

I put the TM in the garage the day I eceived the Nike, I probably put 12-14 rounds with it, as well as putting green sessions, i agree with others here, in order to give it a fair shot, you can't go back and forth, but as one said, that's why we have multiple testers we can each test our own way

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I wasn't expecting anything. I was just observing the results as they were presented. All I was trying to project was that the RNZ insert was no magic bullet for me. YMMV. I am by no means finished testing this putter. Winters here are long and wet. I will spend some more quality time with the Converge in the next few months and see if she warms up.

All I was implying is that if I were to pick this putter up in the shop, it would not have made it into the bag.

I would agree except, of I saw this putter in the shop I wouldn't even have picked it up. Much less put it into play for any round of golf

4. Practice green accuracy. Score 85. On the practice green the putter performed pretty well, from 5 feet: 95%, from 10 feet: 75% and from 15 feet: 45%. These numbers are very normal for me on the practice green. Generally I putt well on the practice green from short and decent from medium, and poor from distance. The main reason for the poor putting from distance is from being short, I simply couldn't get the ball to the hole, and that carried over to the course.

Those are pretty awesome putting stats.  I'm trying to figure out why you think you suck at putting.  I wish I was that good.  

I still wonder why Nike provided two different looking putters for the LH and RH models of the same putter.  Makes no sense.  The nooks and crannies do get dirty, but I think I can fix some of mine by filling the end cavities with lead with a wax plug to increase head weight.  Then add a counter weight to the grip end.  I think I will re-do the putting test when complete.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Those are pretty awesome putting stats. I'm trying to figure out why you think you suck at putting. I wish I was that good.

I still wonder why Nike provided two different looking putters for the LH and RH models of the same putter. Makes no sense. The nooks and crannies do get dirty, but I think I can fix some of mine by filling the end cavities with lead with a wax plug to increase head weight. Then add a counter weight to the grip end. I think I will re-do the putting test when complete.

The putting green stats don't carry over to the course, that's why I suck, but I also can see that it's not the putter that is the problem, I'll admit the converge has made a huge difference from 4-5 feet, lag putting is where I found the issues with it.

Yes, I think I saw on their webpage there is a model S1-12, and a model S2-12, I would like to have tried the model you have, but they don't have it in lefty, there were only a few things that I don't like with this putter, as in my review the only low mark was on the purchasing side of it. I am no sure if this will end up in the bag for good or not, but I will use it the rest of this year and at least give it some more time since I am starting to get used to it.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

JustHIggz review is up!

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/14560-member-testing-nike-converge-putters/?p=180355

If you guys have any questions or comments on the Nike Converge, now's the time!!!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The "normal" price at most places seems to be $170.  Budgetgolf.com and a couple of others have posted $150 prices.  Not sure if that is for all models or just certain ones.  I would just do a search for the model you like; there may be other websites with deals, particularly now that it is the holiday shopping season.

Looks like the brand I rented at a golf course while on vacation in Florida. Can someone please tell me, it is cheaper on Amazon or any other site you might suggest.

Our shop is out of stock on the Converge putters atm, but we were at $150 when we had them in... 

As I mentioned in my review of the Nike Method Converge putter, my gamer is the Boccieri C2-DF Heavy Putter.  The heavier weight of this putter seems to smooth out my stroke and resulted in more putts made from 10-15 feet than the Nike.  I will be making modifications to the Nike to increase head weight and add a counter weight to the grip end of the shaft as well.  The I will repeat the putter test with both putters.

I failed to add pictures of my Boccieri; sorry about that.  I just replaced the grip with a Cork Tree grip in pink to match the paint fill of my putter; and yes it is a ladies putter!   :)

HeavyPutterDSC_3917e (1).jpgHeavyPutterDSC_3918e (1).jpgHeavyPutterDSC_3920e (1).jpg

Many thanks to Casey who had these grips available after a charity event.  Check them out here:

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/14448-updated-make-an-offer-cork-tree-putter-grips-all-sizes/

I played in a scramble Monday, on a track I'm not familiar with. 4 of us old farts, from 56 to 77. We ended up at -10, after being at -2 thru 9.

I'm very happy to report that the Converge contributed 3 long putts of over 15 feet, one was around 40 feet.

I had a wrenched muscle in my back which limited my contributions from everywhere else, but the putting is where you score in those games anyways.

Now my buddies call it the bat mobile haha...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived