TESTERS WANTED! ×

Groove Sharpeners - Do they work?

My 59 degree Scor wedge does not spin the ball - at all. It's not a technique issue as my Mack Daddy's did. I've been looking around the net and have seen groove sharpeners. My questions are: Do they work? What do you recommend? 

I really need the ball to sit like it used to. Cost me some strokes yesterday. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Where were you hitting the shots from? Grooves themselves don't affect spin much if any except when you're in the rough and grass is getting trapped between the face and ball. The grooves channel debris and moisture away. They don't do much to actually grip the ball otherwise. Some say they do nothing at all if it's clean. The same principle for using slick tires for racing as long as the pavement is dry. If you have a clean strike from the fairway, you won't see a difference.

The sharpener can deepen the grooves some if you work at it. Make sure it's clamped solidly. Also know the club is not conforming once you do that if that matters to you.

Just regular shots they don't spin. If I compare them with the mack daddy 2's I had there is no spin at all. Ball lands and rolls across the green.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

IMO, groove sharpeners dont work because all they do is cut the grooves deeper.  If the shoulder of the grooves are still worn down and rounded off, thats not going to really help.  What you really want to do is to CNC mill the face of the wedge, so that the shoulders of the grooves and sharp and square again, like when the club was new.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Groove sharpeners work well on forged clubs because when you use them, rust develops in the grooves and from then on, they're easier to gauge out.

A machine shop works best on stainless clubs which won't wear nearly as quickly.

It's a sore subject with me.

The USGA will remain clueless forever, it seems.  All the rule changes are geared to tournament players when recreational players are the heart of the game. 

They decided the old 1.62" R&A size ball was insufficiently influenced by the wind. They not only banned it from their competitions, but bullied the R&A into adopting 1.68" as well.

They decided that playing with a complete set was too easy, so they came up with the fourteen-club rule. (I love having to leave clubs that cost me three figures each in my locker when I play in a member-guest.)

They came up with the 2010 groove rule, but not because the box grooves were making the game too easy for us.

Somehow, they allowed drivers to swell to a cartoonish 460cc, but when they realized their mistake, they established COR limits just not to admit that they were asleep at the wheel while somebody was impregnating the titanium drivers.

Finally, they set up the US Open venues so that a good, single digit club player couldn't break 100.  It's OUR game. Let the tour guys play at 6000 or 6300 yards so we can actually see how much better than us they are!   7200 yards with burnt out brown greens that have elephants buried under them doesn't even allow us a reference point.

As a boxing fan, I often lament the number of ridiculous, alphabet soup sanctioning bodies that have cheapened the sport.  Golf seems to have the opposite problem.  I think that the USGA really needs a competitor. It's not the R&A which, despite being the senior body, seems content to be the USGA's lap dog.

Just regular shots they don't spin. If I compare them with the mack daddy 2's I had there is no spin at all. Ball lands and rolls across the green.

Badger said it. The face condition is the biggest factor. It's not like the ball squishes into grooves. A milled face with no grooves would spin the ball more than with grooves on a clean strike. Once you try that in the rough though, it would slide up the face more and have very little spin.

Yes groove sharpeners work for cleaning up the grooves, squaring them out and redoing the radius of the edges. Thing is, unless you use a gauge, they'll be out of tolerances and outside the rules. The best one out there is the Golfsmith tool that looks like a screwdriver with replaceable heads. It'll do v and square groves.

Material doesn't matter, just remember to tape off both ends of the score lines in case you slip with the tool

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Any truth to this?

http://golfgroovesharpener.com/

I have the exact same tool as Phil ! I haven't used mine in a few years but I think it helped clean up some rounded shoulders, etc. I like messing around with clubs so it was kind of fun to do. Did my club performance improve? Maybe. Do I think it did? Perhaps. Will it hurt to try it out? Neh.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Just a different point of view.

I have never had Scors but I had 2 sets of Cobra SS Forged. SS=skid sole. A very similar grind to the Scors.

I noticed when chipping the ball would react differently than with non skid sole. Yes it was definitely more forgiving on the chunky shot but it also seemed like the ball would roll up the face a little more before it would grab (moreso on those slightly chunky shots). It spun less then.

I have no explanation for it. Just real world experience.

FYI I also use MD2s now and among all the newer wedges those and the RTX spin the most for me.

I really liked the rtx 2.0 when I tried them at the demo day. I bought the Scor's after everyone here has raved so much about them. They are the best I've hit out of bunker without exception. I'm surprisingly tired of switching out clubs all the time too but I certainly do not want to make the grooves illegal. I understand the rule for us amateurs and stuff but for me it's principle. I'm not sure if I will sell the Scor's, or get the sharpener and take my chances. 

I'll add a couple of thoughts if I may. I do believe that groves help/assist spinning the ball. Not just out of the rough but also from closely mowed grass. Additionally I believe a wedge should be replaced or even re-grooved when they get worn down. And they do. I'm come to notice from actual experience that the surface of the wedge helps grip the ball to some degree. My wedges for instance have normal grooves and a micro-groove etched or cut into the face in a circular type fashion. These wedges have the best stopping power of any wedges I've ever played. Some of my regular competitors have even remarked at how I'm able to stop my shots. They joke that have illegal clubs. They're not of course. Now with all that it's also a huge factor as to how you strike the ball. Perhaps the most important. As my game/ball striking has improved through the years so has my ability to control spin thereby hitting shots that hit, hop and stop. From short fairway grass I like to "pinch" it at times. 

I'd probably use my Groove tool again at least once before deciding I need a new wedge. Can't hurt and it's much cheaper than getting fit for a new wedge.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

My I20's came with a I20 gap (50 degree) a sand (54 with kbs shaft) and a 60 (I tour) wedge. I gave them a run yesterday and thought they were pretty good. I'm going to get the groove sharpener anyway and take my chances. I'll get one that says it makes them legal just to be safe and add some piece of mind. 

RB7 opines that the type of steel doesn't matter. That's not my experience, but I wouldn't claim to be an expert on the subject. Just try it, I guess.

It's not an opinion it's a scientific fact with the tool I specifically mentioned. The head is made from carbide tool steel that's significantly harder than any base metal of any golf club. It cuts through them like butter. That's why I referenced the specific tool I did. Those cheap ones that look like a utility knife and the ones that are from groove sharpener.com on eBay and look like screwdrivers on both ends are made from significantly softer metals (the groovesharpener one is made from carbon steel) will dull quick in harder metals. If you buy a quality tool you'll get quality results.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

http://m.golfsmith.com/product/30040115/golfsmith-carbide-6-point-cutting-blade-for-regrooving-tool

It's this one. Does v and square grooves and the head is replaceable

In The Bag

• 3 months later...
  • Guests
Guest Electric Pig

At least none of the New England states have statutes demanding compliance with the rules of golf!

Really? What game are you playing then?

If you play a game that excludes certain rules, and I play a game with strict compliance, how do we compare scores? Answer- we can't.

I've just always replaced my wedges yearly so I haven't ever used one of these.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I'm pretty sure Nifty was speaking tongue in cheek. Referring to state laws. Not USGA rules.

• 1 year later...

I purchased a club groove sharpener. I really like the results. Have any MGS family any comments or opinions? Take dead aim.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Always been curious about this topic. What differences did you notice?

Other question I wonder about is can this ruin the finish on your clubs?

--WITB--

Ping i15 Driver 9.5° Stiff

Ping i25 Fairway 15° Stiff

Kasco k2k 44 Utility 19° Stiff

Kasco k2k 55 Utility 22° Stiff

Miura CB-501 Irons 5-9 KBS Tour Stiff

Scratch 8620 d/d grind PW 47°

Scratch 8620 d/d grind GW 53°

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 SW 58° 2 dot

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 LW 60° 1 dot

Never Compromise Putter Sub 30 Type-50

Snell MTB

I've always seen them but never tried them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

One thing you guys need to remember if you really care about it. A groove sharpner can make a club non conforming to USGA specs. Personally I do not care because most of my stuff is older and non conforming anyhow.

To answer the question Stillnumber 1 posted. In so many words yes because you can expose raw unfinished metal in the grooves. Depending on where you live and play at causes rust. That factor does not bother me either. Most of my wedges are older and have rusty faces because down here the salt and sand wears one fast

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Often wondered about doing it but figured my game isn't too the point where I am worried about it.

I would like to see some numbers of before and after with launch monitor data.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons