mbrodeur86

Groove Sharpeners - Do they work?

Guest Electric Pig

At least none of the New England states have statutes demanding compliance with the rules of golf!

Really? What game are you playing then?

If you play a game that excludes certain rules, and I play a game with strict compliance, how do we compare scores? Answer- we can't.

Really? What game are you playing then?

If you play a game that excludes certain rules, and I play a game with strict compliance, how do we compare scores? Answer- we can't.

How about by height, Judge?

What brand did you get?

I've never done it, but I was strongly considering it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I purchased a club groove sharpener. I really like the results. Have any MGS family any comments or opinions? Take dead aim.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Always been curious about this topic. What differences did you notice?

Other question I wonder about is can this ruin the finish on your clubs?

One thing you guys need to remember if you really care about it. A groove sharpner can make a club non conforming to USGA specs. Personally I do not care because most of my stuff is older and non conforming anyhow.

To answer the question Stillnumber 1 posted. In so many words yes because you can expose raw unfinished metal in the grooves. Depending on where you live and play at causes rust. That factor does not bother me either. Most of my wedges are older and have rusty faces because down here the salt and sand wears one fast

• Like 2

Often wondered about doing it but figured my game isn't too the point where I am worried about it.

I would like to see some numbers of before and after with launch monitor data.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

• Like 2

I sharpened my 2009 Vokeys for years to keep them alive. Just went with sm6's this year!

They eventually get to a point where they will shred balls.

• Like 4

I'm interested in knowing what brand and any reviews you have on it.

Bought one of these several years ago. I believe it's tungsten. No idea what I paid for it. Has square on one end, V on the other. I used it a few times on my old Callaway X-14 irons. Works great to improve dents from stones, use, etc. I still keep it in my bag, just in case.

IMG_4097.JPG

• Like 2

I've been looking around for an hour to find this thing. It was out on my work bench. Maybe I was thinking it's time for some groove sharpening. So here it is.

I don't recall where I bought it.... the internet. I've had it for probably 5-6 years. And It does work.

Good luck guys.

20170516_200011.jpg

• Like 1

I always see them on Amazon and such when looking through golf accessories, never really thought about picking one up.

I purchased and used a groove sharpener. I don't really dig into the grooves really deep. It's mostly just to 'clean' them out a bit. 

I don't know if it helps a ton, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something productive to keep my wedges in good shape. :D

I do use an oil when I do it as was recommended somewhere. 

• Like 1

I too have been thinking about buying one.

but would want one to square the grooves.

I too have been thinking about buying one.

but would want one to square the grooves.

I think that one like I have might do just that. Even though the blade is beveled it's square across the cutting area. The steel is much harder that the club head of course.

The model I have has 6 cutters. I use one to clean grooves and another to sharpen. Being very careful to minimize the pressure I use, I get a great result. I do not ever go so far as to have grooves so sharp that I damage the cover on a ball. I have found the results to be very good. But I stress being careful. Take dead aim.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app