TESTERS WANTED! ×

Groove Sharpeners - Do they work?

I sharpened my 2009 Vokeys for years to keep them alive. Just went with sm6's this year!

They eventually get to a point where they will shred balls.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bought one of these several years ago. I believe it's tungsten. No idea what I paid for it. Has square on one end, V on the other. I used it a few times on my old Callaway X-14 irons. Works great to improve dents from stones, use, etc. I still keep it in my bag, just in case.

IMG_4097.JPG

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I've been looking around for an hour to find this thing. It was out on my work bench. Maybe I was thinking it's time for some groove sharpening. So here it is.

I don't recall where I bought it.... the internet. I've had it for probably 5-6 years. And It does work.

Good luck guys.

20170516_200011.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I always see them on Amazon and such when looking through golf accessories, never really thought about picking one up.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I purchased and used a groove sharpener. I don't really dig into the grooves really deep. It's mostly just to 'clean' them out a bit. 

I don't know if it helps a ton, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something productive to keep my wedges in good shape. :D

I do use an oil when I do it as was recommended somewhere. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I too have been thinking about buying one.

but would want one to square the grooves.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I too have been thinking about buying one.

but would want one to square the grooves.

I think that one like I have might do just that. Even though the blade is beveled it's square across the cutting area. The steel is much harder that the club head of course.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

The model I have has 6 cutters. I use one to clean grooves and another to sharpen. Being very careful to minimize the pressure I use, I get a great result. I do not ever go so far as to have grooves so sharp that I damage the cover on a ball. I have found the results to be very good. But I stress being careful. Take dead aim.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Here's the one I use. Comes with great directions. No need to dig deep. Great instructions as well. Just nice to clean out the grooves a bit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Always been curious about this topic. What differences did you notice?

Other question I wonder about is can this ruin the finish on your clubs?

First, if you take care, you will not damage the finish on your clubs. The first thing I noted was with my wedges. Simply put, straighter shots. I attribute it to more backspin as a result of the sharper grooves. After seeing the difference in the scoring irons, I sharpened (gently) my long irons. Bingo, same thing. I am certainly not suggesting this will cure a slice or a hook, but if the propensity for creating backspin rather than side spin is higher with clean, sharp grooves, well, sign me up! Take dead aim.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• 11 months later...

Hey dudes. Question for the group. Does anyone on here use a groove sharpener, and done any testing before and after?

I have a old set of PRGR forged irons (TR900 circa 2005) that feel great and I love them, and they've done what I needed them to do. I currently play off a 17 handicap, but after some lessons and swing changes, I've gotten a lot more accurate and am hitting longer irons into greens more often. Now that I'm actually hitting greens from 150+ yards out, I've noticed that my balls aren't stopping like I feel they should. As in, I hit the front of the green or on the fringe and it runs though to the back.

So are groove sharpeners effective? Are they legal for use (will my clubs still be considered conforming)?

Thanks guys. I appreciate any advice.

USMC currently stationed in Okinawa Japan

Driver: Wilson Triton 10.5* Aldila Rogue stiff

FAIRWAY: Taylormade M2 2017

Irons: PRGR TR 900 Forged 4-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized 56*, Ray Cook Blue Goose 60*

Putter: Taylormade Spider Platinum Tour

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods while I’m looking for the one I hit in there

Current Handicap: 16.8 USGA

Hey dudes. Question for the group. Does anyone on here use a groove sharpener, and done any testing before and after?

I have a old set of PRGR forged irons (TR900 circa 2005) that feel great and I love them, and they've done what I needed them to do. I currently play off a 17 handicap, but after some lessons and swing changes, I've gotten a lot more accurate and am hitting longer irons into greens more often. Now that I'm actually hitting greens from 150+ yards out, I've noticed that my balls aren't stopping like I feel they should. As in, I hit the front of the green or on the fringe and it runs though to the back.

So are groove sharpeners effective? Are they legal for use (will my clubs still be considered conforming)?

Thanks guys. I appreciate any advice.

USMC currently stationed in Okinawa Japan

Driver: Wilson Triton 10.5* Aldila Rogue stiff

FAIRWAY: Taylormade M2 2017

Irons: PRGR TR 900 Forged 4-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized 56*, Ray Cook Blue Goose 60*

Putter: Taylormade Spider Platinum Tour

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods while I’m looking for the one I hit in there

Current Handicap: 16.8 USGA

I'm interested in seeing some of the responses to this. I know of a few guys that have used them, but I'm intrigued about the thinking they should stop. That depends on the iron you hit into the green.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

double post!

I'd steer clear of groove sharpeners, keep your grooves clean, use a soft ball and contact the ball first and you will always get spin.

Stopping power depends on other factors remember. For example when wet here a 3 iron will suck back on a green, drives even come back a couple of feet.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I have used a groove sharpener and it works. Now please anyone correct me if I am wrong. There is nothing illegal about doing this as long as you sharpen with/to the currently legal grooves style. I believe that is a V shape. I personally am not worried about conforming to this rule since u wouldn't be entering any PGA tournament lol so my wedges keep a U groove in them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

double post!

tenor.gif

I have 2 groove sharpeners. Only use them for my wedges to keep them fresh. It's a good way to keep them lively without having to buy new ones. I'm pretty sure they're non conforming but it doesn't really matter because I don't play tourney golf.

The sharpeners take a really long time and are a heck of a forearm workout. My elbow is usually sore when I finish....just for 3 wedges. I only do it once a year but can imagine it would take forever for a full set.

For your situation, I'd look at the ball first (as others have suggested). Look at your technique second. Then look at the grooves third. You'll get more spin from a good ball and proper technique than you will sharp grooves.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I've got one that I purchased many years ago. Haven't used it in many years either. But It did seem to help a couple of old wedges I was using at the time. I would worry much about it. You're not going to sharpen your way into a rules infraction. Give it a try.

I've heard/read/seen several times lately that the grooves on the club face are more to help channel moisture and particulates away from between the ball and the club face, and so by design, this is supposed to help the club face make better, cleaner contact with the ball. Further, I've heard that the grooves really don't assist with the spin as much as the shallow "rough" patterns cut or milled into the club face do. I have a groove sharpener, but I too now think it's a gimmick and don't use it anymore.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

IMG_5202.JPG

I've owned one of these for a while. I'd only use it now if I hit a rock or similar that deformed the face of a wedge or iron. It will definitely clean out your grooves, if that's what you're looking for.

As others have noted, I don't believe razor sharp groove edges will help you spin the ball much more than you are currently.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

• 4 weeks later...

So having clean grooves is crucial to creating spin to stop the ball or zip it back on a green, I think that is written in stone somewhere.  But how many players, professional or amateur, actually use tools specifically to sharpen there grooves?  Been seeing a few adds here and there about groove sharpeners.  I was just wondering if they are a gimmick or a legit tool to have.  Any advice or better yet, links to information would be much appreciated.

:titelist-small: 917D 9.5 (Project X Evenflow Blue) 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 13.5 (Project X Hzrdus Black)

:titelist-small: 816 H2 21 (Diamana D+ 90)

:titelist-small: TMB 2 Iron 17 (Project X LXi)

:srixon-small: z765 5-PW (True Temper DG S300)

:mizuno-small: T7 50, 54, 58 (True Temper DG Wedge Flex)

:ping-small: Sigma Anser

:Snell:MTB-X

I own a groove sharpening tool and would use it when I was still gaming an older set of Vokeys. The trouble with these tools now is that using them will result in non-conforming clubs. That's not a huge deal for a lot of people, but in the spirit of the game and playing by the rules I'll steer clear of using them anymore.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 4 years later...

For those of us who may own some old/"seasoned" hybrid clubs (TaylorMade Burner, 2-6) is it OK/recommended to sharpen the grooves if it looks like they have rounded grooves?

Football scholarship to small college, U of Ark., USMC Pilot, Cal State Fullerton, Married on Laguna Beach, 1 1/2 year honeymoon in Rio, Austin, 5 kids (home educated), golf coach, Merrill and Edward Jones FA, love scrambles, once shot a 93-73 in city championship, 76 placed second in 2022 Texas Senior Olympics golf tournament,  own old clubs:  Callaway Big Bertha, D, 3W, 7-GW and TaylorMade Burner 2-6 hybrids, and Scotty Cameron Futura putter.  Competed in 5 mile run and gun competition with rifle and handgun.  One of the Pastors of our church in Fort Worth.  Golf vs Tennis?  All tennis courts look the same.  Have played St. Andrews, Pebble Beach, Whistling Straits and Teeth of the Dog.

55 minutes ago, rdriggers123 said:

For those of us who may own some old/"seasoned" hybrid clubs (TaylorMade Burner, 2-6) is it OK/recommended to sharpen the grooves if it looks like they have rounded grooves?

Effective and technically legal - but illegal for practical purposes. If you remove ANY metal, as you'd have to to sharpen the edges, the club is then illegal. If you don't remove any metal other than deepening the grooves, I don't see how a groove sharpener would make any difference? 

Golf club groove sharpeners are legal to use. However, there is a little bit of a fine line within the topic.

There is a maximum depth and sharpness of grooves allowed by manufacturing standards. All golf clubs are manufactured initially to employ the maximum allowance. If you alter a club to exceed the rules’ allowances, it will render the club invalid.

That being said, if the grooves on a golf club are incredibly dull and could use a sharpening, then restoring the grooves to a natural sharpness is a fruitful endeavor.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys