mbrodeur86

Groove Sharpeners - Do they work?

Here's the one I use. Comes with great directions. No need to dig deep. Great instructions as well. Just nice to clean out the grooves a bit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Always been curious about this topic. What differences did you notice?

Other question I wonder about is can this ruin the finish on your clubs?

First, if you take care, you will not damage the finish on your clubs. The first thing I noted was with my wedges. Simply put, straighter shots. I attribute it to more backspin as a result of the sharper grooves. After seeing the difference in the scoring irons, I sharpened (gently) my long irons. Bingo, same thing. I am certainly not suggesting this will cure a slice or a hook, but if the propensity for creating backspin rather than side spin is higher with clean, sharp grooves, well, sign me up! Take dead aim.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Hey dudes. Question for the group. Does anyone on here use a groove sharpener, and done any testing before and after?

I have a old set of PRGR forged irons (TR900 circa 2005) that feel great and I love them, and they've done what I needed them to do. I currently play off a 17 handicap, but after some lessons and swing changes, I've gotten a lot more accurate and am hitting longer irons into greens more often. Now that I'm actually hitting greens from 150+ yards out, I've noticed that my balls aren't stopping like I feel they should. As in, I hit the front of the green or on the fringe and it runs though to the back.

So are groove sharpeners effective? Are they legal for use (will my clubs still be considered conforming)?

Thanks guys. I appreciate any advice.

• Like 1

Hey dudes. Question for the group. Does anyone on here use a groove sharpener, and done any testing before and after?

I have a old set of PRGR forged irons (TR900 circa 2005) that feel great and I love them, and they've done what I needed them to do. I currently play off a 17 handicap, but after some lessons and swing changes, I've gotten a lot more accurate and am hitting longer irons into greens more often. Now that I'm actually hitting greens from 150+ yards out, I've noticed that my balls aren't stopping like I feel they should. As in, I hit the front of the green or on the fringe and it runs though to the back.

So are groove sharpeners effective? Are they legal for use (will my clubs still be considered conforming)?

Thanks guys. I appreciate any advice.

I'm interested in seeing some of the responses to this. I know of a few guys that have used them, but I'm intrigued about the thinking they should stop. That depends on the iron you hit into the green.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

double post!

I'd steer clear of groove sharpeners, keep your grooves clean, use a soft ball and contact the ball first and you will always get spin.

Stopping power depends on other factors remember. For example when wet here a 3 iron will suck back on a green, drives even come back a couple of feet.

• Like 1

I have used a groove sharpener and it works. Now please anyone correct me if I am wrong. There is nothing illegal about doing this as long as you sharpen with/to the currently legal grooves style. I believe that is a V shape. I personally am not worried about conforming to this rule since u wouldn't be entering any PGA tournament lol so my wedges keep a U groove in them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

double post!

tenor.gif

I have 2 groove sharpeners. Only use them for my wedges to keep them fresh. It's a good way to keep them lively without having to buy new ones. I'm pretty sure they're non conforming but it doesn't really matter because I don't play tourney golf.

The sharpeners take a really long time and are a heck of a forearm workout. My elbow is usually sore when I finish....just for 3 wedges. I only do it once a year but can imagine it would take forever for a full set.

For your situation, I'd look at the ball first (as others have suggested). Look at your technique second. Then look at the grooves third. You'll get more spin from a good ball and proper technique than you will sharp grooves.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

I've got one that I purchased many years ago. Haven't used it in many years either. But It did seem to help a couple of old wedges I was using at the time. I would worry much about it. You're not going to sharpen your way into a rules infraction. Give it a try.

• Like 1

I've heard/read/seen several times lately that the grooves on the club face are more to help channel moisture and particulates away from between the ball and the club face, and so by design, this is supposed to help the club face make better, cleaner contact with the ball. Further, I've heard that the grooves really don't assist with the spin as much as the shallow "rough" patterns cut or milled into the club face do. I have a groove sharpener, but I too now think it's a gimmick and don't use it anymore.

• Like 2

IMG_5202.JPG

I've owned one of these for a while. I'd only use it now if I hit a rock or similar that deformed the face of a wedge or iron. It will definitely clean out your grooves, if that's what you're looking for.

As others have noted, I don't believe razor sharp groove edges will help you spin the ball much more than you are currently.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

So having clean grooves is crucial to creating spin to stop the ball or zip it back on a green, I think that is written in stone somewhere.  But how many players, professional or amateur, actually use tools specifically to sharpen there grooves?  Been seeing a few adds here and there about groove sharpeners.  I was just wondering if they are a gimmick or a legit tool to have.  Any advice or better yet, links to information would be much appreciated.

I own a groove sharpening tool and would use it when I was still gaming an older set of Vokeys. The trouble with these tools now is that using them will result in non-conforming clubs. That's not a huge deal for a lot of people, but in the spirit of the game and playing by the rules I'll steer clear of using them anymore.

tenor.gif

Groove sharpeners are a very popular topic. So much so that this thread now goes back to 2015. Happy reading!

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1