TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cobra King F6+ driver

Aotearoa_Brad

Hi all,

Saw this come up on Instagram and wondered if anyone had any details on it... other than the obvious carbon weight-shift/trail/thingee...

Should have kept the flip zone thing

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Now this is nice.......and its Blue!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Don't know anything about it, but I'm really hoping that color is available across their entire lineup!!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I read it's the replacement for Fly Z and Fly Z+.

The thread I was reading said most likely a later release (Jan/Feb) to not interfere with the King release. Would end up giving the Fly Z series a one year lifespan.

Yeah that's kinda quick for a release 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

• SPY VIP

Maybe I've seen this driver...maybe I haven't, doesn't matter. I believe that a substantial portion of what actually matters about this driver can be inferred from that single photograph.

With our continuous education efforts focused on mass properties, I'd like to think we've made you among the most educated readers/consumers in golf. I also like to think I'm a pretty smart guy, and so naturally I'd like you to prove me right. 

Here's my Challenge to you:

Look at what you see. Think about what you know about the mass properties of currently available drivers. Think about what you've learned about Cobra's roadmap, and most specifically its philosophy around mass properties. Consider other new products coming to market.

Consider all of that and now you tell me...

What are the likely mass properties of the F6+? What are the performance characteristics that result? What are the limiting factors of the design, and perhaps most importantly, based on all of that, how do you think it will compare to FLY-Z+? How will it compare to other offerings in the market?

Go....

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I think the next time I get in the market for a new driver I'll look hard at Cobra. I really don't care about all the tech stuff that much regarding clubs. I only care what I see with my own two eyes and feel in my hands. These company's can shower all the tech on me they want. I throw it on the floor and go out and hit balls. You can write all you want about performance this and that. Fine. I'll decide if their so called improved performance works for me.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I agree with Plaid about giving a long look to Cobra.

I also agree with Dave on how the weight system gives a larger range than the Fly Z. 

What is the hole right above the B in Cobra. 

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Maybe I've seen this driver...maybe I haven't, doesn't matter. I believe that a substantial portion of what actually matters about this driver can be inferred from that single photograph.

With our continuous education efforts focused on mass properties, I'd like to think we've made you among the most educated readers/consumers in golf. I also like to think I'm a pretty smart guy, and so naturally I'd like you to prove me right. 

Look at what you see. Think about what you know about the mass properties of currently available drivers. Think about what you've learned about Cobra's roadmap, and most specifically its philosophy around mass properties. Consider other new products coming to market.

What are the likely mass properties of the F6+? What are the performance characteristics that result? What are the limiting factors of the design, and perhaps most importantly, based on all of that, how do you think it will compare to FLY-Z+? How will it compare to other offerings in the market?

Go....

It was my understanding that there would be no math...

https://vine.co/v/OBWBJBuOK1z

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I would like to take one for the team and offer to test one of these.  It's really is no trouble at all...

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

• SPY VIP

Looking forward to seeing who's forward/back weight system alters launch/spin more - The one in Taylormade's M1, or the system available in the F6 or F6+

We know that TaylorMade's front/back weight is 10g. Cobra's FLY-Z+ was 15g. It certainly *appears* that Cobra's design allows for weight to be moved over a larger area. If we assume (no guarantees of course) that Cobra hasn't reduced the mass of their weight, then based on more mass being moved over a greater area, Cobra's system would impact a greater change in front to back CG location (and by extension would have a greater impact on launch and spin).

TaylorMade chose to compromise a bit of front/back movement (as well as some of the mass that could have gone into the front/back weight) in order to keep the left/right adjustability of the front weight track. 

I have a bit of the mass properties info from TaylorMade. It's really impressive how far they've come from R15.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

We know that TaylorMade's front/back weight is 10g. Cobra's FLY-Z+ was 15g. It certainly *appears* that Cobra's design allows for weight to be moved over a larger area. If we assume (no guarantees of course) that Cobra hasn't reduced the mass of their weight, then based on more mass being moved over a greater area, Cobra's system would impact a greater change in front to back CG location (and by extension would have a greater impact on launch and spin).

TaylorMade chose to compromise a bit of front/back movement (as well as some of the mass that could have gone into the front/back weight) in order to keep the left/right adjustability of the front weight track. 

I have a bit of the mass properties info from TaylorMade. It's really impressive how far they've come from R15.

It's very impressive what TM did to remove the weight from the crown of the club.  I wonder if Cobra has improved on their cell technology, or if they are going in another direction for their crowns.

SO MUCH MATH....   ;)

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

So will Cobra's offering move the CG farther back and lower for higher launch or are they shooting for a greater combo of launch/forgiveness/spin mitigation with via the club head?

Generally speaking I don't do as well with lower farther back CGs because I tend to launch high anyway.  It's why I've had no luck with Cobra as much as I've wanted to bag one of their drivers (I've never gone for a Cobra fitting where I could play with shafts to try and reduce spin though)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Go....

I'm going off memory here because the picture is gone. It looked to me like it would be a solution that can be fit to a wider range of swing types. The same driver head could be configured similar to a G30 or an SLDR or anywhere in between. The interesting part is the CG will come up some with the weight back as opposed to forward. So while you would increase moi, it would also lower the launch and increase the spin. That's just a guess based on what I remember from the picture though.

I'm interested to see how this one plays out. They're using a heavier weight and it seems like they're maxing it out in terms of movement from front to back. With it back I'm thinking of my G25 and with it forward the SLDR comes to mind.

My concern is how loft will come into play. Let's say, for example, that I play a 9.5° G25 since the CG is back but with the low, forward CG of the SLDR I might be better off in 11.25°. With this driver, I may be needing to dramatically adjust the loft to play it in each of the extreme settings. Maybe Cobra has a developed something to deal with this. If not, then maybe the can of "loft adjustability" worms gets opened.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

So will Cobra's offering move the CG farther back and lower for higher launch or are they shooting for a greater combo of launch/forgiveness/spin mitigation with via the club head?

Generally speaking I don't do as well with lower farther back CGs because I tend to launch high anyway.  It's why I've had no luck with Cobra as much as I've wanted to bag one of their drivers (I've never gone for a Cobra fitting where I could play with shafts to try and reduce spin though)

I launch the ball high as well but I was pleasantly surprised at my ball flight with the regular FlyZ with it being rear weighted.  I got better results with it than the FZ+ weighted forward. 

Judging by the specs from the MGS Most Wanted, Cobra is all about the low spin and I fully expect these new drivers to continue on that trend. 

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

• 1 month later...

I know a pro who has hit this and said it is beyond incredible.  They were sworn to secrecy about everything to do with this driver.  He said he hit this and the KING and this one by far outperformed the KING.

Byron, Illinois

Right-handed

Handicap: 5

Driver: Cobra Fly-Z+ 8.5* Weigh back- Aldila Tour Blue 65 Stiff

3 Wood: Cobra Fly-Z+ 14.5*- Aldila Tour Blue 85 Stiff

Hybrid: Cobra Fly-Z 20.5*- Matrix VLCT Altus 75 Stiff

Irons: Titleist AP2 712 4-PW- Dynamic Gold S400

Wedges: Titleist SM5 52*, 56*, 60*- Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #9 32" SuperStroke Ultra Slim 1.0

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Saw this come up on Instagram and wondered if anyone had any details on it... other than the obvious carbon weight-shift/trail/thingee...

That's a great looking driver! 

Twitter: @EdmundCruz 

@ChiGolfAth 

What's In The Bag:

Driver:  Tour Edge Golf EX9 10 degrees, UST Mamiya ATTAS COOOL Stiff Flex
Hybrid:  Tour Edge Golf Exotics EX9 #3 Hybrid, UST MAMIYA RECOIL 670 F4 Stiff Flex
Irons:
:benhogan-small: Ft. Worth 15 Irons, 23, 27, 31, 35, 39, 43, 47 KBS Tour 90 S-Flex Shaft
Wedges:
:benhogan-small: TK 15 Wedges, 51, 55, 59. KBS Tour 90 S-Flex Shaft
Putter: Buzelli Golf STA-1, Standard Loft/Lie
Ball:  Snell Golf My Tour Ball 

Archived