TESTERS WANTED! ×

What is your favourite golfing destination in Ireland?

Golfbreaks.com

Ireland is spoilt for choice with world class golf courses. In fact over a quarter of the World's true links courses are situated on the emerald isle (and the other 300 or so courses aren't too bad either!!!).

From the likes of Ballybunion, and Lahinch in the South West to the delights of Royal Portrush and Royal County Down in the North, and Enniscrone and Ballyliffen on the rugged west coast which region deserves the title of being the number-one place to visit?

If you've been there; tell us what's the best in your opinion. Or if you have not been; what regions would you like to go to first?

And of course, with the Irish renowned for their warm hospitality,  let us know about any good stories from your visit...!

Thanks, Guy

UK and Irish Golf Vacations at unbeatable prices

Saving golfers time and money!

Golfbreaks.com

GolfbreaksUSA-728X90-WHITE-02.gif

I Think I'd start with Scotland and England. I've had several friends go there and play golf. They loved it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 1 month later...

My plans for my 2-week Ireland adventure next June are almost set.  Arriving at Shannon on  Sunday, we'll take the long drive to Ballyliffin for two days of golf there.  Then a travel day on Wednesday to Enniscrone, with golf at Carne and Enniscrone on Thursday and Friday.  Saturday, we'll drive down to Killarney, to the Killeen House, for 5 nights.  Golf will be Monday to Wednesday at Tralee, Waterville, and Ballybunion Old.  Last, back northward to Ennistymon, with golf on our last Friday at Lahinch.  We have two couples going, and we have a couple of "tourist" days scheduled.  In addition, we're not planning to play golf on any of the travel days, so we shouldn't get too exhausted.  I've played the last four courses before, but the first week will be completely new to me, and I can't wait.  All of our lodging is booked, and most of the golf as well.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Any of them....as I have not yet traveled to the Emerald Isles.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 6 months later...

Right now, Ballyliffin is my favorite place to be in Ireland, as I'm IN Ballyliffin right now.  We played the Old Course here yesterday, and its brilliant.  Apparently, the only place they moved any earth during the building of the course was on the greens.  The fairways are a continuous cascade of humps and hollows, never a level lie anywhere.  Later today, we'll play the Glashedy Course, which appears to be much more level, but is apparently longer and tougher.  This is a long ways from anywhere, but its worth the drive.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Sounds fun Dave. Can you show us a few pictures later?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'll definitely post a few photos when I get a chance. Tomorrow we drive south to Enniscrone for a few days, hopefully ill get e few minutes once we get in.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Right now, Ballyliffin is my favorite place to be in Ireland, as I'm IN Ballyliffin right now.  We played the Old Course here yesterday, and its brilliant.  Apparently, the only place they moved any earth during the building of the course was on the greens.  The fairways are a continuous cascade of humps and hollows, never a level lie anywhere.  Later today, we'll play the Glashedy Course, which appears to be much more level, but is apparently longer and tougher.  This is a long ways from anywhere, but its worth the drive.

I am putting together a trip for myself and three friends for September of 2017.  Our current list of courses is as follows:

Royal County Down (2 rounds)

Royal Portrush

Rosses Point

Enniscrone

Carne (27 holes)

LaHinch

Ballybunion

Tralee

Waterville

I have played all of the courses on previous trips except for Enniscrone.  I plan to go over a couple of days early to play The Island Club and Portmarnoch.  I have not played The Island Club.  

I am interested in adding Ballyliffin to the schedule.  What are your impressions on the two courses and how they compare to the other courses you have played? Do you recommend it over the others?

From my previous trips, I  highly recommend Royal county Down, Royal Portrush, Ballybunion, Lahinch  and Waterville.  Royal County Down is the favorite of our group, albeit, I like Royal Portrush a bit more.  After our last trip, our group discussed the courses at length and we voted Waterville the course we would choose if we could only play one course for the rest of our lives.   

I'll be playing Carne tomorrow, Enniscrone Friday, and I'll let you know my impressions as soon as I get a chance. I loved Ballyliffin, preferred the Old to the Glashedy, but both were very good. It's a very welcoming small town, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'm going to start a new thread for my personal experiences, I don't want to hijack this one any more than I already have.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 7 months later...

OK... So I will be in Ireland in a couple weeks and need advice on where to play. I have never been. I'll have the wife with me and only have one free day to Golf.

We will be based in Dublin and are not renting a car so I'm thinking a course in the dublin area might be best but am open to other suggestions. I will need to rent clubs also. 

I was thinking maybe Portmarnock (old).

Any suggestions?

ME: 40, 5'11", 175-180 lbs.                                                                                 BAG:                                                                                                         Driver : TM M2 (1st Gen) 9.5 degree         (Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff)                                          Fairway: TM M2 (1st Gen) 3, 15 degree       (Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff)                                    Utility: Cobra King Utility 3               (KBS Tour C-Taper Lite 110|S)                                   Irons  : Cobra King Forged Tech 4-GW        (KBS Tour C-Taper Lite 110|S)                                   Wedges : Cobra King Pur - V Grind - 54 & 58 (KBS Tour C-Taper Lite 110|S)                             Putter : ENVROLL ER2 - 35"

Any........as I have never been, but maybe someday.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

OK... So I will be in Ireland in a couple weeks and need advice on where to play. I have never been. I'll have the wife with me and only have one free day to Golf.

We will be based in Dublin and are not renting a car so I'm thinking a course in the dublin area might be best but am open to other suggestions. I will need to rent clubs also.

I was thinking maybe Portmarnock (old).

Any suggestions?

I can't really help at all with golf suggestions, but if you get a chance, hire a car and have a bit of a look around. I loved Dublin, but it's an easy trip over to the west coast, Galway is about an hours drive and is great.

Anyway, have fun, and have a few pints for me.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• 3 months later...

For Irish experiences, it's almost impossible to beat Ballybunion. One of the most unique courses on the planet.

The only relatively original piece of information that I have to offer is insight about a great club just outside of Belfast called Malone Golf Club. I understand most (if not all) visit Ireland specifically for links experiences, but for a North Eastern son like myself, it was incredible witnessing such a great parklands layout in Ireland.

Furman Golf '15

Titeist 915 D3 // Diamana White XS 70

Titleist 915 F3 // Alidila Rogue XS 72

Titleist 816 H // Aldila Rogue XS 72

Titleist TMB 4i // TT AMT XS

Titleist AP2 5 - 7i // TT AMT XS

Titleist MB 8 - PW // KBS Tour C Taper S

Vokey SM5 Wedges, 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Stainless Newport 2

Archived