dhayse32

I have no balls....

Our Sponsors

...so I need to buy some new ones.  I am running low on the Lethal Practice balls I have been playing for the last few years.  Need to order some new balls this week and confused on what direction to go.  Debating on the ProV1x or the Snell Tour ball.  I know we have a solid Snell following on here which is why I am considering them....thoughts? Suggestions? 

I mean, all I really want is a ball that consistently finds the fairway, have great feel on approach shots, and won't allow me to 3-putt....

My vote is Snell. I've played the ProV1x for two years and switched to the Snell last month. I've noticed no real difference on course although I haven't done any launch monitor comparisons between the two. For 2/3 the price of the ProV1x, I can play brand new balls and not cringe every time I hit one off line.

• Like 1

Snell or MG c4. Though I've been playing the current Nike RZN Black a good bit as well.

I'd vote for the (MG Golf) MG Tour C4. $19.95 dz. And while you're at it grab a couple of their Dynagrip or Dynagrip Elite gloves. You'll be very pleased.

Your lucky to have options really, we've got the big manufacturers and that's it in Europe - oh and they cost more here.

Right grumble over.

• Like 1

My vote is Snell. It is at least 10-20 yards further with my driver and just as good on the greens as the prov1x I used to play with.

MG is tough to beat for the price. It's a great ball. The only reason I'm not playing them any more is bc I get ProV1X balls from a local guy for even cheaper. Overally there isn't a ton of difference in the balls.

• Like 1

I mean, all I really want is a ball that consistently finds the fairway, have great feel on approach shots, and won't allow me to 3-putt....

I would venture to guess we are looking for the same ball.  :D

• Like 3

If you are deciding between prov1x vs. Snell MTB, it's the Snell hands down, you will not be disappointed.

I switched to the MG C4, but have yet to actually compare it to the Snell.  I play a lot of different balls, particularly in the Spring and Fall, but was primarily gaming the Pro V1x before switching to the C4 during "regular season."

I play to purchase a couple of boxes of Snell to compare between MG C4 and Pro V1x next season and I'm pretty sure I'll settle on MG or Snell, for the simple reason they won't keep changing the product on me every year.

They're all quality balls, but if I'm EVER going to gain any consistency in my short game, I think I need to take the ball out of the equation and make it consistent.  The Snell MTB and MG C4 can provide that.  All the major OEMs, will introduce new models every year, whether needed or not.  Even if they're "better balls," they'll be different.

Snell MTB hands down. I might have to try this MG C4 you guys are always ranting about

Snell MTB hands down. I might have to try this MG C4 you guys are always ranting about

The MG C4 is a decent ball but I personally don't think it's anywhere close to the Snell. If you are looking for a very inexpensive tour like ball then it may be what you are looking for, but if you want a moderately priced top line tour ball you will.not beat the Snell. if you can get a sleeve to try go for it, but I wouldn't spend the 20 when I can get the Snell for another 12. Again this is my opinion.
  • Like 1

If I could get Snell's here in Oz...I would probably be a Snell player but I can't so For me its Titleist V1x or Srixon  Z Star.

Since the demise of the wound ball, with which I never played well, even when that was all that there was in the 1960s, my game doesn't seem to be very ball dependent. 

The good thing about the Pro V1 and Pro V1x is that so many people have won with them, they sort of take away any excuses as far as golf balls go.  How they're better than DT SoLos is tough to explain, however.  It seems to me that the biggest difference is the stamping on the cover and of course the price.  NXTs, I've never even tried to my recollection.

Although my favorite original (not XL) Top Flite  from the defunct Spalding golf division has long faded into history, I sometimes play Dick's cheap-ass version just for the nostalgia. 

I don't know what it was about wound golf balls, though. Regardless of whether they were covered in balata or surlyn (no urethane covers then), I could never club myself confidently with them. 

The MG C4 is a decent ball but I personally don't think it's anywhere close to the Snell. If you are looking for a very inexpensive tour like ball then it may be what you are looking for, but if you want a moderately priced top line tour ball you will.not beat the Snell. if you can get a sleeve to try go for it, but I wouldn't spend the 20 when I can get the Snell for another 12. Again this is my opinion.

What do you like so much more about the Snell? For me a tour level ball is a tour level ball. Some spin slightly harder than others and some behave slightly better in the wind but other than that I find most of them similar. Durability is something I will notice from time to time but that is it. I may need to try the Snell ball if it's that much better.

What do you like so much more about the Snell? For me a tour level ball is a tour level ball. Some spin slightly harder than others and some behave slightly better in the wind but other than that I find most of them similar. Durability is something I will notice from time to time but that is it. I may need to try the Snell ball if it's that much better.

I gamed the MG Tour C4 for a few months at the beginning of the season. I liked it, especially at the $20 price point. For me the Snell is just better all around. Distance, spin, and it performs better in the wind.

• Like 2

Well I ended up buying a dozen MG C4 balls to test out.   For the price and all the solid reviews, they are worth $24.00.  I will say that just from an appearance perspective, not a fan of the logo.  The Snell looks much better.  Still may buy a dozen Snells today so that I can test the out side by side. 

• Like 2

Seems to me from what I read here on MGS is that the top ball for players is (in no order) Snell, MG C4, and PV1 or PV1x. I have my doubts whether any of us amateurs can truly tell much if any difference between top quality balls. "Ok Plaid, speak for yourself." As you can see under my photo to the left I'm currently a 6.5 hcp. Certainly not the most accomplished golfer here but not too bad either. I can do most things with a ball that's required to be a good or even better player. I can hit the ball high, low, left, right. I can produce more or less spin. I can make a ball check when needed. Blah, Blah, Blah. However, these things I may not do as consistently as some of you here that are certainly better players than I am. I read often that players with 12-16-28 handicaps really prefer the qualities of top balls because of X. But honestly guys.... and speaking from experience; I don't recall when I was learning and had a 18 hcp that I was concerned with all the flight characteristics (except that giant shrimp) and  spinning, checking a tour quality ball can provide. I just wanted to keep the ball on the course and hopefully break 100. My swing at the time just wasn't good enough to benefit from a more expensive ball. However, players that aren't as accomplished with perhaps higher hcps might want to choose a ball that better suits their game. Balls that are designed to fly higher, or straighter, longer for example. For me and my game I can play equally well with any of the balls I mentioned at the top. No difference. They all feel and perform well.

EDIT: I also love the Chrome Soft.

• Like 4