TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Importance of good health to your game.

mizuno_lover

I'm conscious of not wanting to tell you all how to suck eggs but I thought I was in a bit of an emotional slump recently and was feeling so poorly about my game I even struggled to get enthusiastic about anything golf related. 

It is kind of interesting how it all developed and I hope by sharing my little story it may help others and will explain my absence from the boards recently. 

I am diabetic along with all my other injuries and about 4 weeks ago the Doc put me on a medication to lower my average sugar levels which had been a little high.  I thought nothing of it and took it trusting it to work in the back ground and all would be good.  Bit by bit I started losing energy, everything started to hurt more than usual, sleep or should I say what sleep and my general sense of well being just disappeared.  I felt depressed and thought I was dying, it was that bad. and my game was in the toilet.  The crazy thing was it never occurred to me that it was the medication that was making me so sick. 

At the same time I was trying to be up beat and convince myself that it was a temporary funk and things would get better and even thought I should get some lessons it was that bad.  We trust our health professionals to do the right thing by us and they do for the most part.  And there is much criticism about internet health advice but after this experience I will be researching everything that I stick in my mouth that is prescribed in lieu of no warnings about side effects or risks with medications.

Thankfully things did get better, about a week and a half later after I stopped taking the crap that the doc had put me on.  It was basically poisoning me and the difference in the way I felt after it got out of my system was incredible.  It's been two weeks now and I found a natural alternative that does the same thing as the chemical and I shot a 78 today.  I felt about 90% health wise so there is still room for improvement but a 6 over the card only feeling 90% sure put a smile on my face and I enjoyed it too.  It has been a real eye opener for me and how important my health is if I want to play good golf as well as not be an empty uniform in daily life. :)

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Me too! Thanks Blade.

My Bag

Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.

I can relate. I'm 38 and have major stress issues as well as high blood pressure. At the beginning of the year, I caught what everyone thought was epididymitis. It's an infection of the tube that goes around the testicle. Needless to say it was painful but manageable. I went to the emergency room and they prescribed me some pills and it went away...but came back a few days after I was done medication. I went online (because I don't like going to hospitals and avoid them as much as I can) and looked up what I had and some guys were saying it might take 3-4 doses to get rid of it and it could take months to get rid of. My left nut was swollen and red. I decided that maybe the medication needed time to work and didn't go to the hospital for several months. I had a doctor's appointment and told her it was still bothering me. She gave me more pills and again a few days after medication it was back.

Long story short, I went this week and the doctor had me go get an ultrasound on my nut to see what was up. I was at another hospital and they told me to drive straight down to my local hospital because the doctor wanted to see me right away. Obviously I'm pooping the pants thinking I've got cancer. I get there and they put me in a room not far from the office and I can hear the doctor talking to a eurologist  and telling him I've never seen this before and the urologist saying the same thing and I'm just full of sweat at this point. Doctor finally hangs up and comes and sees me and says. As far as we can tell, you have a phlebitis of one of your veins attached to your testicle. I'm going to have to take anti-inflammatory medicine to try to get rid of it and in the meantime, they are going to be taking blood tests. I had to go the next day and they took 10 tubes of blood. Some are being sent to Montreal, Moncton and Fredericton. Now I await the results. Worse case scenario, they have to open me up and remove or fix the vein or veins that are causing the issue. The Doctor was like did you get hit there? and I'm like not recently but I used to be a hockey goalie and have taking some shots there before. Anyways, nothing more important than health.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

A few lines into reading about your situation Miz I knew what you were going to say. I'm glad you are better... much better. I hate taking drugs. Fortunately I only take one. Cholesterol medication. (which I've been cutting back on without an adverse outcome) I always question a doctor. Just because they are a doctor doesn't mean they know everything about medicine. They just generally know more than you and me is all. And.... I believe there is a drug out there for every ailment these days. Some may be useful and some are not.

Have a great day.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Wow, that's rough! There's too many side effects for these medications, coupled with the varied response from person to person; you just don't know what to expect.

Glad your doing better though!

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I can relate. I'm 38 and have major stress issues as well as high blood pressure. At the beginning of the year, I caught what everyone thought was epididymitis. It's an infection of the tube that goes around the testicle. Needless to say it was painful but manageable. I went to the emergency room and they prescribed me some pills and it went away...but came back a few days after I was done medication. I went online (because I don't like going to hospitals and avoid them as much as I can) and looked up what I had and some guys were saying it might take 3-4 doses to get rid of it and it could take months to get rid of. My left nut was swollen and red. I decided that maybe the medication needed time to work and didn't go to the hospital for several months. I had a doctor's appointment and told her it was still bothering me. She gave me more pills and again a few days after medication it was back.

Long story short, I went this week and the doctor had me go get an ultrasound on my nut to see what was up. I was at another hospital and they told me to drive straight down to my local hospital because the doctor wanted to see me right away. Obviously I'm pooping the pants thinking I've got cancer. I get there and they put me in a room not far from the office and I can hear the doctor talking to a eurologist and telling him I've never seen this before and the urologist saying the same thing and I'm just full of sweat at this point. Doctor finally hangs up and comes and sees me and says. As far as we can tell, you have a phlebitis of one of your veins attached to your testicle. I'm going to have to take anti-inflammatory medicine to try to get rid of it and in the meantime, they are going to be taking blood tests. I had to go the next day and they took 10 tubes of blood. Some are being sent to Montreal, Moncton and Fredericton. Now I await the results. Worse case scenario, they have to open me up and remove or fix the vein or veins that are causing the issue. The Doctor was like did you get hit there? and I'm like not recently but I used to be a hockey goalie and have taking some shots there before. Anyways, nothing more important than health.

Hope it works out for you! My brother in law went through something similar but from a baseball from my nephew.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I'm 26 but don't take any meds. I actively refuse to take most medication unless I really have to or the issue hasn't gotten better in months. I recently went on a totally different diet. I feel better, more active and can now play a hole round of golf without getting sore. Little changes sometimes reap big benefits. My thoughts are that I don't like a lot of pills and would rather just change something like diet or excercise to fix any issues.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

A few lines into reading about your situation Miz I knew what you were going to say. I'm glad you are better... much better. I hate taking drugs. Fortunately I only take one. Cholesterol medication. (which I've been cutting back on without an adverse outcome) I always question a doctor. Just because they are a doctor doesn't mean they know everything about medicine. They just generally know more than you and me is all. And.... I believe there is a drug out there for every ailment these days. Some may be useful and some are not.

Have a great day.

I'm in a dueling doctor scenario on this one. My cholestoral is borderline, my GP wants me on med and my cardiologist says, why? I had a cath a few years back and I'm all clear, no sign of any sort of artery build up and it would mean taking a med that could have side effects. So even among doctors there is a difference of opinion. I suppose that's why it's called medical arts.

Just remember that natural stuff may produce side effects as well. The trick is teaming with your doctor to determine what works best for your system.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm in a dueling doctor scenario on this one. My cholestoral is borderline, my GP wants me on med and my cardiologist says, why? I had a cath a few years back and I'm all clear, no sign of any sort of artery build up and it would mean taking a med that could have side effects. So even among doctors there is a difference of opinion. I suppose that's why it's called medical arts.

Just remember that natural stuff may produce side effects as well. The trick is teaming with your doctor to determine what works best for your system.

At the end of the day, you have to be your own CEO when it comes to your own health.  I think too many people forget that their doctors work for them.  Whether its insurance, via taxes or out of pocket, you are ultimately paying the bill.  And whether the result is good or bad, you own the outcome.  You have the right to make your own decisions.  The doctors are there to give you information and options and to provide those services which you deem necessary.  The more involved and informed you are, the better for you.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

I'm glad you are back on the road to whatever "normal" is.  Every Doctor has a opinion on what is supposed to be normal for you, whether it is blood sugar, BP, or cholesterol.  The recommended levels are guidelines based on an average person, but our bodies react differently from each other.  What's good for you may not be good for me.

I'd take PJ's advice and question each Doctor's advice.  Get a second opinion.  Remember...  That's why they call it a practice and we are called patients, because we have to be patient while they practice.  :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

Well the last 10 days for me have been interesting to say the least.  The day after I started this thread I was playing in my club's "Senior Open".  It was a shotgun start around midday and whilst it wasn't hot weather wise it wasn't cold either.  The wind was cool and the further into the front nine we progressed the colder I felt.  We played out the 9th hole and I said to my playing partners I was heading to the pro shop to buy a sweater I felt so cold and they nodded and agreed it was getting cooler and we headed off to the back nine.  The sweater made a difference but again as the temperature dropped the more I was shivering but didn't feel that bad, just cold.  We played the 17th and I informed them I was heading straight home once we were finished because I had started by this stage to feel not so good.  My right leg felt like I had torn something and my ankle was on fire.

I got home and asked my beloved to make a cup of tea and I lay on the couch.  In the time it took for her to make the tea and bring it to me I had laspsed into unconciousness/sleep and woke up about 12.30am.  Had a fever etc.  Hit the doctors surgery the next day and just spent the last 7 days on IV antibiotics.  It turned out to be cellulitis in my right leg which is an infection that occurs under the shin of any given appendage.  It enters via a break in the skin and takes hold and if not controlled can result in septecemia and death or amputation.  Thankfully we got it in time but it sure was "another" wake up call health wise for me.  My sugars are now great and I'm getting almost normal readings, almost given up the death sticks (smokes) and am generally feeling much better over all.  For me again it was a case of not really appreciating what I had until it was gone.

Now just got to get back on the course.  Not rushing it though, don't want to wind up back in hospital.

My Bag

My brother in law has Diabetes, before he was on the pump he had way more issues, again, changing mess, adjusting doses, would cause him to go up and down as you describe, since he's been on the pump it has been much better, but every once in a while he will get doses wrong and cause some problems. Few things more scary than watching a loved one slip into a diabetic coma and having to try to get them to "wake up". I'm glad you were able to figure out it was the meds causing the problems, and that you have found a replacement, as a diabetic keeping your blood sugar right is extremely important. Glad you are doing better

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Wow Mizzie' thank God you caught that when you did.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Glad you're on the mend, Mizzy!

I've been rather "bummed" about some personal health isues the past few weeks (primary reason I haven't been online here much lately) but nothing as serious as what you've been through.

Puts my own, relatively minor, issues in a better perspective...

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Glad you're on the mend, Mizzy!

I've been rather "bummed" about some personal health isues the past few weeks (primary reason I haven't been online here much lately) but nothing as serious as what you've been through.

Puts my own, relatively minor, issues in a better perspective...

Know what you mean about the bummed out factor and my main reason for posting the thread in the first place was to inspire people to look after themselves and above all be vigilant when it came to their health.  I was lucky I was keeping an eye out and doubly lucky my wife is a health  professional.

Thanks for all the good wishes as well guys hopefully I'll have some good golf to talk about soon too.

My Bag

Know what you mean about the bummed out factor and my main reason for posting the thread in the first place was to inspire people to look after themselves and above all be vigilant when it came to their health.  I was lucky I was keeping an eye out and doubly lucky my wife is a health  professional.

Thanks for all the good wishes as well guys hopefully I'll have some good golf to talk about soon too.

Good to hear from you and that things are going OK.  I have missed your posts.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived