TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bridgestone's New Ball: The Extra Soft

Golf's "Soft Parade" continues, as Bridgestone joins the "soft ball" trend...

BRIDGESTONE'S NEW EXTRA SOFT BRINGS SUPERIOR CONTROL AND DISTANCE-PERFORMANCE TO THE GOLF BALL CATEGORY

COVINGTON, GA. — Bridgestone Golf, the #1 ball-fitter in golf, announced today the launch of its new Extra Soft golf ball. The Extra Soft builds off of the superb distance and feel golfers came to enjoy in the xFIXx model with an infusion of straighter ball flight and improved short-game control that can benefit all players.

The Extra Soft's 2-piece construction features a soft ionomer cover and soft compression core for maximum distance and control.  The Extra Soft core is designed to be compressed more fully at moderate clubhead speeds and leads to a reduction in spin producing straighter shots off the tee and from the fairway. 

In terms of aerodynamic performance, the Bridgestone Extra Soft features Bridgestone's patented 330-dimple pattern seamless cover, for the ultimate in flight consistency.   The Extra Soft features a street price of $21.99 per dozen and is available now nationwide at Golfsmith stores, with wide retail availability beginning at all Bridgestone authorized retailers October 2015.  

extra-soft-ball.jpg

“We've seen increased distances off the tee resulting from the Extra Soft's core during both robot and amateur testing,” said Adam Rehberg, Golf Ball Marketing, Bridgestone Golf, Inc. “For the money, you won't find a better feeling or more consistent golf ball than Extra Soft.  It truly is a tremendous value for recreational players.”

For more information on the current Bridgestone Golf ball line and to find the ball that fits your game, visit www.bridgestonegolf.com. There you will find variety of fittings aids: ball fitting event schedule, online ball selection guide and access to chat live online with expert Bridgestone fitting technicians.

So, what do you think MyGolfSpyers?

ExtraSoft.jpg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Very Interesting......

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Can we rally say "Join the soft ball trend" with Bridgestone??  Pretty sure that these are the guys that started it all with the Precept MC Lady Ball that a lot of single digit players and some pros started using in the cold weather months in the late 90's. I know that the ball is branded Precept, but I believe that the parent company is still Bridgestone.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I think it's fair to say from a marketing perspective -- it's actually branded "Extra Soft"  

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Exactly!  During the winter, I play the Bridgestone Lady Precept for which Bridgestone says "features a Super Soft Gradational Core and a 330 Seamless Dimple Design for longer distance."

So... my questions are does Extra Soft trump Super Soft?  How soft is too soft?  Where does this ball fit in the Bridgestone line?  Who's it for?  If I had to guess, I would say that there is probably very little difference between the Extra Soft and the Lady Precept, and it is meant to target guys who need to play a soft ball but don't want to play a "Lady" ball.  :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Exactly!  During the winter, I play the Bridgestone Lady Precept for which Bridgestone says "features a Super Soft Gradational Core and a 330 Seamless Dimple Design for longer distance."

So... my questions are does Extra Soft trump Super Soft?  How soft is too soft?  Where does this ball fit in the Bridgestone line?  Who's it for?  If I had to guess, I would say that there is probably very little difference between the Extra Soft and the Lady Precept, and it is meant to target guys who need to play a soft ball but don't want to play a "Lady" ball.   :)

Spoken like a true marketing pro!  

Interesting that some of the companies will list their compression - Wilson's Due/DuoSpin come to mind, while Titleist and Bridgestone don't.  Not sure what that means, but it's interesting...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I think it's fair to say from a marketing perspective -- it's actually branded "Extra Soft"  

Like this??

extra soft.jpg

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

I have nothing but respect for Bridgestone. I prefer this company's golf balls to just about every other ball out there. I just wonder about the wisdom of calling something "Extra Soft"

Spoken like a true marketing pro!  

Interesting that some of the companies will list their compression - Wilson's Due/DuoSpin come to mind, while Titleist and Bridgestone don't.  Not sure what that means, but it's interesting...

Compression is all relative - since a ball will compress at a variable rate depending on how hard it is hit, there is only limited use in stating a compression figure. For instance, a crushing drive will compress the ball somewhat more than a two foot putt, but it's still the same ball and arguably the majority of "feel" will come from the putt. Hence, some companies prefer to use terms like "soft" or "softer" or "softest ever" or even "extra soft" (lol). 

Interesting that no ball has ever been marketed as being "rock hard and feels like a ball bearing" - suggesting that softness has a positive quality about it.

Two piece means the soft feel simulates spin that isn't there when I need it. Pass

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'll add it to my list of balls to try for winter golf. I'm thinking the chrome soft will be up near the top though. Otherwise it'll be hand warmers in the pockets and rotating Snells.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Got some more info from Bridgestone on the new Extra Soft...

1. It's not a rebadged Lady Precept.  The Lady compression is in the 40-45 range, while the Extra Soft is 60-63, and is a replacement for the xFIXx ball.  

2. Biggest difference of the xFIXx is a slightly softer core and a softer ionomer cover. Nothing like a urethane ball, but B'Stone says it has a softer feel and better control than many of the other 2-piece balls out there.

3. Bridgestone's take on "soft" balls:  They've found that for moderate swing speeds, there's a diminishing point of return in terms of core compression.  According to Bridgestone, Lady is softer because women don't typically have the same launch conditions as men, even in the higher handicap market.  Their goal with the Extra Soft - and XFIXx before it - is to make a ball that's not too soft so it won't over-compress.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

What you're saying makes sense - I used to go to this type of ball in the late fall/early spring when I lived up North just no reason to do it in Florida.

Good luck to Bridgestone particularly if they are being honest enough to say that it does not perform like an urethane covered ball - that's refreshing.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Got some more info from Bridgestone on the new Extra Soft...

1. It's not a rebadged Lady Precept.  The Lady compression is in the 40-45 range, while the Extra Soft is 60-63, and is a replacement for the xFIXx ball.  

2. Biggest difference of the xFIXx is a slightly softer core and a softer ionomer cover. Nothing like a urethane ball, but B'Stone says it has a softer feel and better control than many of the other 2-piece balls out there.

3. Bridgestone's take on "soft" balls:  They've found that for moderate swing speeds, there's a diminishing point of return in terms of core compression.  According to Bridgestone, Lady is softer because women don't typically have the same launch conditions as men, even in the higher handicap market.  Their goal with the Extra Soft - and XFIXx before it - is to make a ball that's not too soft so it won't over-compress.  

Good Stuff.......Thanks!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 1 month later...

Archived