TESTERS WANTED! ×

10 Finger Grip. Is it for you?

Johnny Vegas uses a 10 finger if I'm not mistaken.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

After running across this post the other day I gave it a shot on the course today. I typically use the overlap grip so it wasn't a drastic change but it took me a bit to get it down. I was deathly afraid of hooking the ball by gripping too tight with the right hand and that left me hitting some high fades. After I figured it out I was able to really get the feel of it.

I think it gave me the sense that I had a lot more control of the clubhead; going to take a bit more practice but after reading this and some other articles on the web I might be a convert!

... hit one of my longest drives in a while with it (290) and some great 3w shots (250).

. Scott piercy uses it as well. Got to play what's comfortable is what he says

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Almost a year has passed since I starting using the FFG. It's been a winner for my game.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

PJ, I grew up in the 1950's and my Grandfather taught me to use the interlocking grip. In the early 1980's I worked on grip change from interlocking to overlapping....it took all summer, but when I was through, my Hcap had dropped from 15 to 10. Today, I still use the overlapping grip. However, your discussion has intrigued me. I just may give it a go in the very near future. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

PJ, I grew up in the 1950's and my Grandfather taught me to use the interlocking grip. In the early 1980's I worked on grip change from interlocking to overlapping....it took all summer, but when I was through, my Hcap had dropped from 15 to 10. Today, I still use the overlapping grip. However, your discussion has intrigued me. I just may give it a go in the very near future. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'm never going to try and talk anyone into playing with a FFG. (not to be confused with a Full Figured Gal) Like you Foz I played my entire career using an overlap grip. Another thing that has happened is that I seem to Trap the ball a little better. Is that a good thing? Seems to be.

Give it a try and see what you think. For me it was an easy change.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Thanks PJ, this is the essence of My Golf Spy.........relationships that develop over the web that causes discussion to further enhance our enjoyment of Golf.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Rvs... I use the FFG on everything now. You're right.... at first for some reason I struggled a bit with my driver using the FFG. But that didn't last long. I only had to commit. I will say this; at times I tend to get a tad strong with my right hand but that's easy to correct if I'm conscious. When I'm playing well (which lately I've not been - hcp went up a full point in July) I tend to hit a nice controlled draw somewhat trapping the ball a bit. It's been good.

• 2 weeks later...

I started using the 10 finger grip when I first started playing golf. It worked okay for a while but eventually changed to an interlocking then back to overlapping.

It's a personal choice and I'd say if you're playing well with it stick to it. There are so many ways to play this game and what works for others doesn't always work for you.

Mizuno MP-25 irons, R/H, N.S. Pro 950GH regular shafts

Cobra King LTD 8.5 degrees driver, R/H stiff Aldila Rogue shaft

Titleist 3-wood 915F, 15 degrees, Diamana stiff flex shaft

Queensland, Australia

Handicap 5

www.HittingItSolid.com

The Perfect Golf Swing

favicon-96x96.png

one of the keys for me when trying/using/testing the 10 finger is to be sure that I have some pressure with my right pinky and not TOO much pressure with my right forefinger.

If I remember to do that than I stop hooking the ball but if I have too much pressure on my right forefinger then that causes a sort of 'flip' of the face and I hook it to the right.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

• 6 months later...

I am an interlock player........with the "V's" from my thumb n forefinger pointing towards my left shoulder.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• 4 months later...

This is crazy... it's July 31, 2017  ... I made a post about this almost exactly a year ago.  I switched back to the overlap grip and - while I've had some good ball striking - I just wasn't getting the distance and compression on the ball I thought I should be getting.  

Went to the range on Friday July 28th (364 days from my last post on this!) and tried the interlock.  It was okay but I don't have long fingers so I didn't really feel as if I could control the face well.  Had about 15 balls left and switched to the 8finger grip with my right pinking really tight against my left forefinger and BOOM!  was smashing the ball and I could really, really control the face.  big/little draws and fades...

I should listen to myself more often :lol: ... this seems to happen about this time every year.  HAHA

BTW - I did notice that I might get a blister on my right pinkie using this grip.  I'm going to use athletic tape to try to prevent this.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I learned to play with a FFG...was a baseball player growing up and it just felt more comfortable...over the years and with a few lessons I switched to the interlocking grip.

I have tried the overlap but it just doesn't feel right, I may have to experiment with the FFG again and see what kind of results I get. 

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 4 months later...

Anytime I hear someone say they are thinking of going to a 10 finger grip, I suggest they also look at a mesh (Greg Norman) style grip.

Like the 10 finger grip, all your fingers are on the club. Like the interlocking grip, your hands are intertwined for stability.

2787bf70_intermeshxc4.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpLXVxPVJhw

I'll give it a go next time out

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 4 weeks later...

better cut your fingernails first before you try that grip!  HA!   B)

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Greg Norman must have really short fingers!

Not short enough that he nearly chopped them off with a chain saw!  LOL 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

better cut your fingernails first before you try that grip!  HA!   B)

Greg Norman must have really short fingers!

I couldn't do the  Greg Norman style.  My fingers are too big and it was not comfortable at all. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I've often thought of making a grip change, and have tried various options on the range. My hands are WAY too active to start with, and I currently use an interlock. The FFG makes me feel even more susceptible to wristy action. In warm-up swings, on the range, I unconsciously move to an overlap. After I realize it, I almost think that could be my answer, but I never change. My teacher had me try to change to overlap years back and my overlapping finger actually was extremely sore after a few days. Scrapped it. Been an interlock all my life, probably always will be. Tiger and I....

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Love this thread. When I first started seriously playing about 6 years ago, I went to the range with some buddies that are already great players. The first time I picked up the club it was a FFG and felt natural. I hit some great shots and my friends couldn't believe some of the distance I was creating for being brand new to the game. I still hit a lot of bad shots that day but I knew the FFG just came natural.

As I knew I wanted to get serious and really get better, everyone said the correct grip was an interlocking or vardon. Unfortunately, I fell in line and decided to interlock for the next few years going against my natural way to hold the club. I did get better over time but always always always struggled with blocks and slices as I have a fast swing speed. My hands could just never catch up.

When I moved to Phoenix 3 years ago I met another friend who used FFG and is a scratch player. It immediately made me feel like “hey, FFG is ok to use! What's the fuss about it.”

Fast forward another 3 years and my game has never been better. I've shot my lowest round ever of 74 using FFG, hit some of my best drives and iron shots using this grip. I've experimented with interlock and vardon now and literally can't hit the ball out of my shadow.

As mr Palmer would say “swing your swing”

Love this thread. When I first started seriously playing about 6 years ago, I went to the range with some buddies that are already great players. The first time I picked up the club it was a FFG and felt natural. I hit some great shots and my friends couldn't believe some of the distance I was creating for being brand new to the game. I still hit a lot of bad shots that day but I knew the FFG just came natural.

As I knew I wanted to get serious and really get better, everyone said the correct grip was an interlocking or vardon. Unfortunately, I fell in line and decided to interlock for the next few years going against my natural way to hold the club. I did get better over time but always always always struggled with blocks and slices as I have a fast swing speed. My hands could just never catch up.

When I moved to Phoenix 3 years ago I met another friend who used FFG and is a scratch player. It immediately made me feel like “hey, FFG is ok to use! What's the fuss about it.”

Fast forward another 3 years and my game has never been better. I've shot my lowest round ever of 74 using FFG, hit some of my best drives and iron shots using this grip. I've experimented with interlock and vardon now and literally can't hit the ball out of my shadow.

As mr Palmer would say “swing your swing”

DJ plays a FFG if I remember right.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk