TESTERS WANTED! ×

10 Finger Grip. Is it for you?

My best friend uses the 10, He's a 5, I'm a 11 ??? Grip or just better?? I don't know, if it works do it. 50 or more years ago my Dad taught me the overlap, to stubborn to change now at 60. 1 Pro, I know with the 10 is Scott Piercy.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

I've tried the 10 finger grip in the past but I find it very wristy and hooky for my liking. I'm an interlocking kind of guy, it just gets everything working together best for me.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

My ball striking became much more solid after I switched several years ago and my scoring improved. The FFG - 10 FG isn't for everyone nor should it be. My hands/fingers are not large/long and for that reason I think it works better for me. I'm better able to trap the ball. I'm 63 and have been playing golf for over 50 years. I probably should have experimented more with my grip when I was younger but I was taught the so called "proper way" to hold a club and was told a 10 finger was for guys that don't really know what they are doing. LOL

To paraphrase what Nicklaus said in his Golf My Way video - "I don't care how you choose to hold/grip the club; overlap, interlock, full-finger. It doesn't matter. What does matter is where the clubface is at impact."

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

FWIW, at our First Tee chapter, we work hard with kids on getting the V's aligned with their grips. We do not worry about interlock, overlap or FFG. The teaching pros that run our chapter do not care at all about which of the three the kids use.

I've overlapped since high school, but I'll interlock or FFG when I get into a slump just to get a different feel going and change neural pathways and that kind of stuff. I'll also go from glove to no glove and back and forth. If my comfortable feel is yielding crappy results, I want something that feels foreign to get me out of the rut.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 5 weeks later...

I played the back nine with the 10 finger today with good success.....  I had to rest my right thumb and point finger together to make it feel right. If I run my thumb down the shaft it doesn't work for me.  I'm looking forward to my next round Thursday to give it another go...

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still struggling with trying to figure out what grip I want to use. I am leaning toward the 10 finger grip. But I still don't know. I need a few more sessions on the range.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You sound like a buddy I used to play with. He started with 10 finger, then went to interlock, then overlap, then back to 10 finger. It changed about every week lol. Of course, he had a long history of baseball, so he stuck with 10 finger.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I could never get comfortable with the 10 finger. I started with interlock but switched to overlap a couple of years ago—feeling more comfortable with that.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I've been using it for the last couple of weeks and I'm hitting my driver better than ever.  It must be squaring up the face better or something but whatever I'm all in.  It felt weird for the first round or two and then I started automatically gripping the club like that and haven't looked back. 

Cleveland

OG approved guess I don't feel weird about wanting to go back to it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's something you have to work with to see how it affects your game. I'm able to feel more connected and secured during my down swing with it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

I naturally went to the 10 Finger Grip when I took up this game 27 years ago after years of baseball/softball, and not knowing any other way.  When I got to single digit 'cap, I thought that maybe I could play even better if I switched to interlock or overlap grip.  I tried each for a week each.  Neither worked for me; the interlock grip hurt my arthritic fingers, and I never felt like I had control of the club with the overlap.  If I committed to the overlap for a longer period, I could probably learn to play with it, but 10 Finger just feels right for me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've taught myself to play with the 10 finger...but has anyone tried the reverse overlap?  in trying to find ways to keep my hands in sync, i've taken some dry swings with this grip and it feels pretty nice.  the snowy weather has prevented me from trying out on the range or the course.  i tend to leak the ball right - anywhere from a straight ball to a baby fade to, in the worst of circumstances, a full on push, and was wondering if this might help.

I've taught myself to play with the 10 finger...but has anyone tried the reverse overlap? in trying to find ways to keep my hands in sync, i've taken some dry swings with this grip and it feels pretty nice. the snowy weather has prevented me from trying out on the range or the course. i tend to leak the ball right - anywhere from a straight ball to a baby fade to, in the worst of circumstances, a full on push, and was wondering if this might help.

I've never heard of that.

for a right handed golfer, the left index finger overlaps the top of the right pinky - think interlock, but without the interlocking pinky and index finger. same as the putting grip style, but on full shots.

Now that would feel weird for me. And how would that impact my shot?

Tried it a couple of times on the range now. Feels a bit strange, but not as strange as I thought it would.

With irons it seems to be a real improvement for me. The club face seems to align with my right palm, and it feels like I have a much better sense of where the club face is. 

I struggled with driver, 3 wood and wedges, not certain why. With wedges it may be due to having even quieter hands than iron swings. 

I'm thinking about putting it in play for real in tomorrows competitive round.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• 2 weeks later...

When I started golfing, I played with the ten finger grip, or baseball grip as I knew it. After a few years, I started using an overlap, then to an interlock grip. I've played an interlock for years now, until I suffered a hand injury playing baseball (no pun here). Well, after a shattered left hand pinky, my grip strength definitely wasn't the same, and I recently re-broke the same damn pinky. We're three months off the latest break and I'm back to swinging from, I just still don't have the grip on that very important pinky for a right handed golfer.

I decided to give the old ten finger grip another go just the other day, and found it to be much more stable and powerful, and surprisingly controllable. I honestly decided to give it a try again because of this thread.

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

I found out today how important your individual grip works for you.   I hit the ball (especially with my driver) much straighter with a ten finger grip.   Not sure how that works however I know the club face stays on the ball longer so it's all good. I tried an overlap today and was hooking the pants off the ball.  In fact they called in the arrest squad to make sure my arse stayed on the course.  :blink: Soooooo go with what feels natural to you and stay with it.  That's a fact, Jack.     

Jumbo size grip with ten finger placement gives me some serious find it time.

Cleveland

Alan Shepard hit a one hander on the moon, otherwise two hands on the grip in whatever manner works for you. There are three accepted grips but no where in the rules does it say that you have to use any of them. Time and doctrine has established the big three as accepted.

We use two arms to establish the swing plane and maintain directional control. The right hand and fingers are really what deliver the club to the ball if you are right handed. I like a really loose grip, ideally only the minimal grip to keep the club from flying. When I start my down swing, I want a natural and free release of my wrists towards the ball, for me this happens without thinking and should be like a whip action. I am left handed and when I think in terms of my hands I am more focused on having a sense of my three fingers in my left hand, starting at ring finger towards thumb delivering the club head to the ball.

I prefer interlocking, some of this is about the relationship between your arms shoulders and hands. Interlocking for me promotes a good release with club head control. I like it much better than overlapping. I think I played around once or twice with 10 finger grip and did not like it but I don't remember now. I really value the sensation in the fingers more so than the precise grip.

I really think if you are not confident in your grip you should get some qualified coaching or teaching advice, practice with what you establish and see if it helps.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently estarted using the ten-finger grip only with my driver. I was struggling with hitting fairways so I figured it might help straighten out my drives. It seems to have helped some. I'm reluctant to change over with my irons until after I had some range time to fine tune.

I play with the 10 finger grip and it helps with my ball striking.

Have a great callus on my right pinkie though from it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Double Diamond 815 (10.5*)

Woods: Callaway X2 Hot Pro (15* and 19*)

Hybrids: Callaway X2 Hot (20*)

Irons: Wilson C200 (5 - PW)

Wedges: Callaway MD3 (52*, 56*, 48*)

Putter: Anser 2

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft or Bridgestone 330RX-S

Worked for Scott Piercy this week!

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Thanks PJ for starting this thread about 2 1/2 years ago.  Shows there is no one right way to hold and swing a club.  Although as per most of the suggestion on MGS it goes back to professional instructions and guidance.  Going back to my days playing Hockey.  I played left handed even though I am right handed, because that is how I learned to play.  It was getting out on the frozen pond and whacking at the puck the way it felt most comfortable.  Key word, most comfortable.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Not sure about 10 finger.But why is it whenever I practice using a split hockey grip my swing looks perfect?Can one play with a split grip

Heck yes you can.  It's your club, your game, swing it how you want to.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

• 3 years later...
On 11/1/2015 at 8:36 AM, PlaidJacket said:

Yesterday I once again used the full grip method. With my irons. I switched back and forth a few times with my driver using full finger and my ole standard over-lap. I hit better shots with the over-lap when driving the ball. No big hooks. So... as my experiment continues I'll use full finger with my irons and over-lap with the driver. As they say... whatever works.

Any update on your 10 finger grip change? Stick with it?

I’m an interlocking long but wild 16 handicap who is very inconsistent. I can shoot a 38/48 split easy.  I started experimenting with 10 finger grip at the range today. I watched a Moe Norman clip this week and he was saying how much he loved the 10 finger grip. Ive always been right hand dominant in my swing and feel like I always have grip issues and my right fights to win out over left. So I tried it at the range today and really hit the ball well with my irons. It allows my right hand to do the thing it wants to do and hit through the ball. It also sits my right hand a tad bit lower, influencing me to keep my spine angle on downswing and not extend early(hump the goat). I think I will keep my regular grip for Driver and hybrids for now, as it was making me pull the ball(not hook, more of a straight pull). I think I will even use this grip for chipping and pitching! 

tomorrow will be my first round playing with 10 finger, and I will have a better idea of it will work for me.