PlaidJacket

10 Finger Grip. Is it for you?

Okay I've got another wrinkle (or knuckle should I say.) 

My former teacher had me strengthen my grip significantly.  It work to an extent but of late I've been struggling with the driver.  My current teacher is encouraging a more neutral (not weak) grip with my right hand.  I find that I hit my irons and even fairway woods much better that way but I struggle with hooking the driver - ee gads!

I'm wondering if this doesn't happen because I have a significantly positive AoA with the driver.  I'm going to try the neutral grip (over lapping) through the bag and just scooting that right hand stronger with driver only to see what happens on the range today and then on the course on Friday. 

My experience with the 10 finger has been exactly what Nifty described.  I played baseball with it and had those old heavy wooden bats (I also used the whole field - the Royals do to - what worked then still works today).  I will hit the heck out of some with the 10 finger grip but am not at all consistent with it because my hands never seem to sync up.

So...

I have to admit to something here.  I use both, but it isn't what you think.

With most of my clubs and full swings I use an interlock. However, as I get into closer ranges where I want more control and feel with partial swings, I move to a 10 finger and no glove. Like most, I find that with the 10 finger setup I have a tendency to pull things a little left, so I have to adapt to that, but with some practice, it becomes very natural. 

That said, it took a long time to understand the why and how.  Now I really do prefer the 10 finger on the partials, and it has quietly become a strong part of my game (most weeks, not the last week though)

• Like 2

This is too much fun - we're all over the place aren't we. :)

I love these days when I'm working from home and I can stay on real time.

• Like 1

Rev, I thought that a strong right hand grip would lead to more hooking.  I strengthened my grip a few weeks ago and was hitting the driver pretty well for awhile, but this last weekend in the wind, it was quack, quack; back to a more neutral right hand grip.

• Like 1

Yes Kenny you would think - but it isn't the case with the driver - for me (the key ingredient here.)

My former pro's argument is that a strong grip puts a player in a good hitting position at set up.  He wants the right shoulder lower than the left at set up and impact.  For me that's great for the driver but not always sustainable with the irons.  I haven't a clue why I hook with a more neutral grip with the driver other than the fact that my default miss always seems to be the hook (with an occasional block for good measure.)

Did we formally hijack this thread?  Sorry about that.

My coach wants we to have my right shoulder a lot lower than I have it at address and impact.  My tendency is to straighten up at impact, and I think it was due to the years of pain in the left knee keeping me from getting to my right side.  I'm working on it now that it doesn't hurt but it's now an old habit.  

But, back to the 10 (well 8 finger) finger grip, I really only grip the club with the last 3 fingers of each hand. The index finger of the left hand is only on the club for the ride, and the right index finger (I call it the trigger finger) is separated from the fingers.  I try to keep both hands as close together as possible, almost like the overlap.  More separation of the hands reduces the leverage angle that can be achieved, and thus speed.

• Like 1

My coach died in the late eighties.

God rest his kind soul.

Can't imagine finding a coach now who's willing to work with what's left of me.

I used to be an interlocking type when I first started but one day I just started using ten and never looked back. I feel like I have insanely better ball striking because of it. I also have a Moe Norman strong grip but it keeps my hands forward and as long as I keep the back of my left hand to the target all is well. Occasionally, I will turn my left hand to the left and hook but usually its all good in the hood! 

• Like 1

interesting this topic came back up....

I'm still using the full-finger grip method and can't see myself changing back. I don't have large hands... average I suppose. Since I changed to the 10-finger grip my game has improved in all aspects. Much improved ball striking... more solid and flush more often. It feels natural to me now.

• Like 1

After running across this post the other day I gave it a shot on the course today.  I typically use the overlap grip so it wasn't a drastic change but it took me a bit to get it down.  I was deathly afraid of hooking the ball by gripping too tight with the right hand and that left me hitting some high fades.  After I figured it out I was able to really get the feel of it.

I think it gave me the sense that I had a lot more control of the clubhead; going to take a bit more practice but after reading this and some other articles on the web I might be a convert!

... hit one of my longest drives in a while with it (290) and some great 3w shots (250).

• Like 2

After running across this post the other day I gave it a shot on the course today. I typically use the overlap grip so it wasn't a drastic change but it took me a bit to get it down. I was deathly afraid of hooking the ball by gripping too tight with the right hand and that left me hitting some high fades. After I figured it out I was able to really get the feel of it.

I think it gave me the sense that I had a lot more control of the clubhead; going to take a bit more practice but after reading this and some other articles on the web I might be a convert!

... hit one of my longest drives in a while with it (290) and some great 3w shots (250).

. Scott piercy uses it as well. Got to play what's comfortable is what he says

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

PJ, I grew up in the 1950's and my Grandfather taught me to use the interlocking grip. In the early 1980's I worked on grip change from interlocking to overlapping....it took all summer, but when I was through, my Hcap had dropped from 15 to 10. Today, I still use the overlapping grip. However, your discussion has intrigued me. I just may give it a go in the very near future. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

PJ, I grew up in the 1950's and my Grandfather taught me to use the interlocking grip. In the early 1980's I worked on grip change from interlocking to overlapping....it took all summer, but when I was through, my Hcap had dropped from 15 to 10. Today, I still use the overlapping grip. However, your discussion has intrigued me. I just may give it a go in the very near future. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'm never going to try and talk anyone into playing with a FFG. (not to be confused with a Full Figured Gal) Like you Foz I played my entire career using an overlap grip. Another thing that has happened is that I seem to Trap the ball a little better. Is that a good thing? Seems to be.

Give it a try and see what you think. For me it was an easy change.

• Like 2

Thanks PJ, this is the essence of My Golf Spy.........relationships that develop over the web that causes discussion to further enhance our enjoyment of Golf.

• Like 2

PJ,

Did you go to FFG on the driver or did you continue to use the overlap? Last year you were using a bit of both. Just wondered how it worked out.

Rvs... I use the FFG on everything now. You're right.... at first for some reason I struggled a bit with my driver using the FFG. But that didn't last long. I only had to commit. I will say this; at times I tend to get a tad strong with my right hand but that's easy to correct if I'm conscious. When I'm playing well (which lately I've not been - hcp went up a full point in July) I tend to hit a nice controlled draw somewhat trapping the ball a bit. It's been good.

I started using the 10 finger grip when I first started playing golf. It worked okay for a while but eventually changed to an interlocking then back to overlapping.

It's a personal choice and I'd say if you're playing well with it stick to it. There are so many ways to play this game and what works for others doesn't always work for you.

• Like 3