PlaidJacket

10 Finger Grip. Is it for you?

one of the keys for me when trying/using/testing the 10 finger is to be sure that I have some pressure with my right pinky and not TOO much pressure with my right forefinger.

If I remember to do that than I stop hooking the ball but if I have too much pressure on my right forefinger then that causes a sort of 'flip' of the face and I hook it to the right.

• Like 2

I use a ten finger grip with both thumbs going down the center of the grip. Feels natural to me and I won't change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am an interlock player........with the "V's" from my thumb n forefinger pointing towards my left shoulder.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I've tried all of the grips. I started with 10 finger, then, interlock. My brother told me to try the overlap  (Vardon)..... I find the Vardon the most comfortable and natural. 

I'm never going to try and talk anyone into playing with a FFG.

Too late. Hehehe.. Think I'm going to give this a try.

This is crazy... it's July 31, 2017  ... I made a post about this almost exactly a year ago.  I switched back to the overlap grip and - while I've had some good ball striking - I just wasn't getting the distance and compression on the ball I thought I should be getting.  

Went to the range on Friday July 28th (364 days from my last post on this!) and tried the interlock.  It was okay but I don't have long fingers so I didn't really feel as if I could control the face well.  Had about 15 balls left and switched to the 8finger grip with my right pinking really tight against my left forefinger and BOOM!  was smashing the ball and I could really, really control the face.  big/little draws and fades...

I should listen to myself more often :lol: ... this seems to happen about this time every year.  HAHA

BTW - I did notice that I might get a blister on my right pinkie using this grip.  I'm going to use athletic tape to try to prevent this.

• Like 2

Forgot to update : tried it & went back to overlap. It didn't work for me.

• Like 1

I learned to play with a FFG...was a baseball player growing up and it just felt more comfortable...over the years and with a few lessons I switched to the interlocking grip.

I have tried the overlap but it just doesn't feel right, I may have to experiment with the FFG again and see what kind of results I get. 

Anytime I hear someone say they are thinking of going to a 10 finger grip, I suggest they also look at a mesh (Greg Norman) style grip.

Like the 10 finger grip, all your fingers are on the club. Like the interlocking grip, your hands are intertwined for stability.

2787bf70_intermeshxc4.jpeg

• Like 2

Anytime I hear someone say they are thinking of going to a 10 finger grip, I suggest they also look at a mesh (Greg Norman) style grip.

Like the 10 finger grip, all your fingers are on the club. Like the interlocking grip, your hands are intertwined for stability.

2787bf70_intermeshxc4.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpLXVxPVJhw

I'll give it a go next time out

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Greg Norman must have really short fingers!

Not short enough that he nearly chopped them off with a chain saw!  LOL 

• Like 2

better cut your fingernails first before you try that grip!  HA!   B)

Greg Norman must have really short fingers!

I couldn't do the  Greg Norman style.  My fingers are too big and it was not comfortable at all. 

• Like 1

I couldn't do the  Greg Norman style.  My fingers are too big and it was not comfortable at all. 

I couldn't either.  Mine are too long; I would need huge grips.

• Like 2

I've often thought of making a grip change, and have tried various options on the range. My hands are WAY too active to start with, and I currently use an interlock. The FFG makes me feel even more susceptible to wristy action. In warm-up swings, on the range, I unconsciously move to an overlap. After I realize it, I almost think that could be my answer, but I never change. My teacher had me try to change to overlap years back and my overlapping finger actually was extremely sore after a few days. Scrapped it. Been an interlock all my life, probably always will be. Tiger and I....

• Like 1

Love this thread. When I first started seriously playing about 6 years ago, I went to the range with some buddies that are already great players. The first time I picked up the club it was a FFG and felt natural. I hit some great shots and my friends couldn't believe some of the distance I was creating for being brand new to the game. I still hit a lot of bad shots that day but I knew the FFG just came natural.

As I knew I wanted to get serious and really get better, everyone said the correct grip was an interlocking or vardon. Unfortunately, I fell in line and decided to interlock for the next few years going against my natural way to hold the club. I did get better over time but always always always struggled with blocks and slices as I have a fast swing speed. My hands could just never catch up.

When I moved to Phoenix 3 years ago I met another friend who used FFG and is a scratch player. It immediately made me feel like “hey, FFG is ok to use! What's the fuss about it.”

Fast forward another 3 years and my game has never been better. I've shot my lowest round ever of 74 using FFG, hit some of my best drives and iron shots using this grip. I've experimented with interlock and vardon now and literally can't hit the ball out of my shadow.

As mr Palmer would say “swing your swing”

• Like 1

Love this thread. When I first started seriously playing about 6 years ago, I went to the range with some buddies that are already great players. The first time I picked up the club it was a FFG and felt natural. I hit some great shots and my friends couldn't believe some of the distance I was creating for being brand new to the game. I still hit a lot of bad shots that day but I knew the FFG just came natural.

As I knew I wanted to get serious and really get better, everyone said the correct grip was an interlocking or vardon. Unfortunately, I fell in line and decided to interlock for the next few years going against my natural way to hold the club. I did get better over time but always always always struggled with blocks and slices as I have a fast swing speed. My hands could just never catch up.

When I moved to Phoenix 3 years ago I met another friend who used FFG and is a scratch player. It immediately made me feel like “hey, FFG is ok to use! What's the fuss about it.”

Fast forward another 3 years and my game has never been better. I've shot my lowest round ever of 74 using FFG, hit some of my best drives and iron shots using this grip. I've experimented with interlock and vardon now and literally can't hit the ball out of my shadow.

As mr Palmer would say “swing your swing”

DJ plays a FFG if I remember right.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DJ plays a FFG if I remember right.

Nah, he's overlap

Nah, he's overlap

Maybe I am thinking of someone else but I remember a commentator mentioning a pro that was winning last year and with how he was so dominant I just assumed.