TESTERS WANTED! ×

UE MEGABOOM: When the round needs to go to 11. -REVIEW-

GolfSpy Dave

38 members have voted

1. 1. Music on the golf course...

• Makes for a great addition to a casual round.
    • Is fine as long as it's used responsibly.
    • Is not welcome at all, ever.
    • Could help grow the game by lessening golf's elitist image.
    • Has been here for years. It's no big deal.
    • Is more welcome than footgolf.
    • Could work if restricted to certain times of day.
    • Is my right as a paying customer and I'll blast it as I ride dirty around the course. Slow and low that is the tempo.

• SPY VIP

UE MEGABOOM-01.jpg

The UE Boom gets bigger, MEGA bigger.

I was definitely impressed with the UE BOOM when I ran it through the paces a couple of weeks ago. It is compact, has great sound, and is a great way to bring music to the golf course, or wherever you want to add tunes.

After using the UE Boom, there was only one aspect that I wished was a little different. On occasion, I wanted it to be louder. Granted, it's able to get pretty loud, but here and there, I wanted to be able to vibrate the trunk a bit.

Enter the UE MEGABOOM.

It's a Bigger Boom

UE MEGABOOM-05.jpg

If I was going to make a MEGABOOM design wish list, I'd keep all of the features of the original BOOM, and make it louder. I'm have simple wishes. Thankfully, I am not in charge of designing these things. While it is definitely louder, it is more than that as well.

Yup, It's Louder

The MEGABOOM definitely lives up to its name. It is louder than the original BOOM. I thought that was all I was looking for in the MEGABOOM. That's until I heard the improved sound quality.

UE MEGABOOM-04.jpg

Richer Sound

Simply stated, the sound that comes out of the MEGABOOM surpasses the BOOM's sound. Like the BOOM, it has a great 360° sound delivery. There are no dead zones as you move around the speaker. Directional delivery is the same.

The real place that you hear the difference is with the bass. The BOOM does a pretty good job with the lows, but the MEGABOOM is a bass leviathan. I'm sure that it has something to do with the increased size allowing the designers to add deeper tone producing speakers. Whatever they did, it works. The range of sound, and the oomph of sound surpasses the BOOM.

Simple To Use

One of my favorite things about the UE BOOM was its ease of operation. Thankfully, the UE MEGABOOM works just like the original. One button on top to turn on, lightning quick pairing, huge volume controls, and on-unit battery level checking are all there. Like the BOOM, there is also an app to further expand the control of the unit.

MEGABOOM top_bottom.jpg

Unexpectedly, the UE MEGABOOM needs its own app. I expected that the app that I downloaded for the BOOM would work with the MEGABOOM. Not so. Of course it wasn't difficult to download the MEGABOOM iPhone app, just a bit surprising.

One of the coolest things about the MEGABOOM, and its app, is that the hardware updates are now handled wirelessly. Updating the BOOM required plugging the USB cable into the computer. The MEGABOOM just uses your phone's connection to update. So much more convenient. The newly released UE BOOM 2 also updates this way. Good move.

Pairing them Together

This feature is what I was really looking forward to trying out. You can pair two UE speakers together, either through the app, or by a quick button press on the units.

UE MEGABOOM-09.jpg

You can start with either unit's app, and then pair the extra speaker. The BOOM and the MEGABOOM had no problem working in tandem. The app took care of it. The only thing that was not possible was having the speakers act as left and right stereo. Instead, they mirror each other, performing like they would solo, but now synced.

The (excellent) support FAQ page at UE says that Using the speakers in Stereo mode won't give you the best experience, as the sound signature for each speaker is different.

I'm not totally sure I understand what a sound signature is, but if you want to go stereo, you need two of the same speakers. Hmm, that sounds like I need another one of each :)

On the Course

The UE MEGABOOM is a bit larger than the BOOM and with that we lose some of the BOOM's portability. It may not fit as nicely into cup holders, but I am sure that you can find a spot for it. If not, it has a ring on the bottom like the BOOM does so you can grab a carabineer and hook it to just about anything.

Here are both units in the cup holders on my Clicgear, with the MEGABOOM using the large cup holder. Let's just say that my Clicgear was a party on wheels that round.

UE MEGABOOM-10.jpg

The UE MEGABOOM need not be a booming imposition on the golf course. Responsible golfers can dial back the volume to a level that adds musical accompaniment to the round, without being an audio blight to others.

Though we can debate if music has a place on the golf course, it's really a debate of etiquette and respect for fellow golfers. We have all encountered people on the course whose actions take away form the overall golf experience. You have the In the hole yellers, it's Daytona cart racers, the slow players, and so on. None of these are really a problem except when they are taken above the level of respecting fellow players. Music is no different.

BOOM or MEGABOOM

UE MEGABOOM-08.jpg

For those of you thinking about one of these speakers, this is probably the real question. If I was to pick one, I would probably go MEGABOOM. It's close though. Ultimately, I think that the improved sound quality and volume is worth the bump in price. However, you do give up some of the portability when you go MEGABOOM. Portability is not as important for me as while this will go to the course, most of my BOOMING and MEGABOOMING will probably happen around the house.

If portability is your main concern. Stay tuned for the final speaker in the UE trilogy; the UE ROLL.

UE MEGABOOM-06.jpg

UE MEGABOOM-07.jpg

UE MEGABOOM-11.jpg

UE MEGABOOM-12.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I've commented before regarding music on the golf course and my opinion hasn't changed. Today I voted that it's OK if used responsibly. I'll explain. I don't want to hear your (or mine) music when I'm playing. I prefer no music at all. If you want to listen to music when playing golf wear earbuds for petes sake. Some buds are BlueTooth/wireless. Please don't force me to listen to your music. A big part of golf is respect for others. Show some.

Thanks.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I agree with PJ.  

My wife listens with headphones so she doesn't have to listen to me tell what she should be doing.  It's called her spousal filter.  It's OK though... I keep talking and she doesn't talk back!  :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Any and everywhere you go today, your senses are blasted by talking heads, musac, traffic noise and other noise pollution. In your car, in the elevator, from the overhead speaker announcement, sirens, gas powered carts, horns, radios, car stereo boom boxes, people yelling fore and worse. How far into nature must one retreat in order to hear the birds? I get all the electronic bombardment I need just about everywhere, and now you want to bring your speakers out on the golf course to impress me with your taste in music? Grow up.

Our company had a tournament for customer appreciation in August. It was a typical scramble just for fun with some twists like teeing off on 1 while sitting on a toilet....

It was painfully slow though. So while on a tee box waiting for the group ahead, the group behind would catch up to us. They pull up with music blasting. It bugs, period. In this case we were entertaining customers and they were there to have a good time. I certainly wouldn't say anything to them. But I wouldn't be pleased if someone was doing that during a regular round. If people keep it to themselves, I have no problem with it.

There's always someone with a sense of entitlement and no common sense or courtesy who just doesn't give a care if they are imposing on others though. But that's the case in everyday life no matter where you go. Sometimes you just have to put up with others. Some people's kids......

Golf is suppose to be fun..... If music is played responsibly, I have no problem with it.......

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I like music when I'm playing, but not everyone likes punk music so I keep it low when I'm around other If I'm out alone I turn it up a bit. With my headphone I turn it up a bit more. 

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

If I play alone, it's music, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, just like fidgeting, phone rings, 5 practice swings, partners walking through my line, but that's because I'm in the zone when it's time to play the shot.

That being said I don't play music when If I am with strangers, near greens or tee boxes. If I play with friends I always ask and respect their decision if they say no.

Might look at getting one of these.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

My club had a charity tournament today so three of us traveled 40 minutes to a sister course, Crescent Oaks. It was a casual round for the three of us, so I rode with one guy and he had a Bose Bluetooth speaker. He asked if I minded since it was a casual round. I said okay by me and off we went. We had a blast, it was not too loud so that when you were on the green you did not hear the music. This was my first time playing golf with music....not bad, not bad at all.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 6 months later...

I personally enjoy golf more with music especially on slow rounds. But I agree be aware of others around you as they may not enjoy it.

Sean - New Lenox,IL Play RH HDC 7

What's in the Bag:

Driver Callaway Great Big Bertha

Fairway Nike Vapor Fly

Hybrid Nike VR-S Covert 2 Tour

Irons/Wedges:Callaway Apex Pro 16

Volkey SM5 50/55/60 degree

Putter Benttinardi Studio B

I enjoy the peaceful quiet of golf....that being said, as long as i can't hear your music I don't care, but if you're not in my group and I can hear it, it's too loud

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

• 4 weeks later...

The first time I played a round with someone jammin to their tunes I played awful. I let the music get in my head and focused on that rather than my golf game. Now, one of the guys I play with regularly plays country music every time we play and I've come to appreciate it. It mellows me out while we are waiting on the slowsomes in front of us and I can tune it out when I'm hitting. I think once you adjust to it, it's not as big a deal but it's also important to respect the other groups on the course that don't want to hear about your "friends in low places" or my sexy tractor.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

• 4 weeks later...

For me... golfing is a chance to experience the outdoors.  The sun, the trees, the gentle breeze, the sound of a rippling brook, birds singing... anything that takes away from that really interrupts and degrades that experience.  

Bluetooth speakers are awesome.  I have one and they are very handy and enjoyable.  But there is a time and a place...

...and a golf course isn't one of them.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Music is great as long as it doesn't bother any other surrounding groups...and turn it down if you drive up on someone. 

I have a megaboom as well and I love it. It has a crazy long battery life and it's always in the cart, ready to go. 

I listen to music with a good, solid beat that I find helps me swing with a good tempo. I listen to stuff like Ryan Bingham, Led Zeppelin, ZZ Tops, Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash, anything Texas Country, etc. I think there's something to the mental aspect of the swing if you're listening to music with a good steady beat. Nothing too fast to make you want to swing out of your shoes, and nothing too slow to put you and your playing partner to sleep. Music is good for the game and I wish golf carts came with built in speakers. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Looks like an amazing product.  Where I live golf carts are legal on the road, and this would be a great addition to a street cart.  That being said, I do not believe external speakers should be allowed on the course.  For me music takes away from the natural settings.  If someone went out to your favorite green and dyed it hot pink you would call it vandalism.  Though the color of the grass wouldn't effect roll, it would still be offensive. 

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Looks like an amazing product.  Where I live golf carts are legal on the road, and this would be a great addition to a street cart.  That being said, I do not believe external speakers should be allowed on the course.  For me music takes away from the natural settings.  If someone went out to your favorite green and dyed it hot pink you would call it vandalism.  Though the color of the grass wouldn't effect roll, it would still be offensive. 

When I lived in Atlanta we took a trip south to Peachtree City and they have a 100 mile network where golf carts are legal... Couldn't believe it!  Seemed really awesome.

http://www.peachtree-city.org/index.aspx?NID=216

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a purist in that I prefer no music but I have played with others that like to have it on and it doesn't really bother me.  Most of the time people play music, I feel like it is just to show off that they have a portable speaker.  As if it is it the greatest technological advancement in years.

What's in my bag...

Driver:      TaylorMade R15 10.5• Aldila Rouge Black 60g stiff shaft

3 Wood:   TaylorMade R15 15• Aldila Rouge Black 70g stiff shaft

Hybrid:     TaylorMade  Rescue 4-21• Aldila Rip 65g stiff shaft

Irons:        TaylorMade  RSi TP Nippon NS Pro 950, stiff shaft

Wedges:   TaylorMade  50•, 54•, 58• Nippon NS Pro stiff shaft

Putter:      TaylorMade Ghost 

Ball:          Wilson DUO U

Bag:         TaylorMade 

• 2 years later...

I have the smaller Wonderboom which I love. It is almost the exact size of a golf hole so I drop it in the hole on the practice green while practicing. May seem like a small thing but the Wonderboom keeps the ball from going down into the cup. When hitting 50 to 100 puts that's a big plus. The ball either sits right on top of the boom or rolls off. Either way I get the feedback of a made putt without the frustration of digging the ball out time after time. And oh yeah, the sound is pretty awesome as well.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Our company had a tournament for customer appreciation in August. It was a typical scramble just for fun with some twists like teeing off on 1 while sitting on a toilet....

I hoped the guy who used the toilet before you flushed...:D  :lol:

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had a speaker in my bag for years and have always been very careful about how loud it is. Always respecting people around me and not having the music so loud that other groups can hear it. I even turn it down at the turn so people aren't listening to my music when they are putting or practicing. 

Having said all of that, music on the course is almost a must for my group of friends. I get the enjoying nature part of golf but, for me, music is a large part of relaxing and enjoying the outdoors. It's a great way to forget some of your swing thoughts and just swing with the tempo. 

Have the UE Boom and it is great. Fits in cup holders nicely and is very portable and light when travelling. The Megaboom seems a little large for the golf course and too big to lug around if you are travelling to destinations for golf.

Driver: Ping G400 Max

Woods: 2016 TaylorMade M2

Hybrids: 2017 TaylorMade M2 - 3 & 4

Irons: 2017 TaylorMade M2 - PW -5i

Wedges: 56 - TaylorMade, 52 - Titleist - SM6 F-Grind, 50 - Cleveland RTX

Archived