TESTERS WANTED! ×

Today, I was slapped across the face by Dicks.

SPY ZINGER

So I read what Tony Covey writes.  I usually read it at night, and the guy just gets me excited about things.

When I read what he had to say about the Cobra King LTD, I haven't stopped thinking about it.  Or, Tony.

Preorders start over the weekend.  I am home alone on a Saturday night, and what do I do?  I place an order for the King LTD at Golf Galaxy.

Today, two days later, Dicks Sporting Goods, the company that owns Golf Galaxy, has a sale in honor of Chris.  14.92% off the King LTD, the same driver I purchased.  That's $67 less.  So, I call Golf Galaxy customer service...

They won't honor the price.

They can't cancel my order.

They realize they are the same company.

Why?  Why me. 

:mad:

Posted Image

Ouch zinger ouch

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Buy the one from dicks. Then return the other once you get it without hitting it. Unless it's a custom order it should work out

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

That's just crazy-bad customer service.  It's their way of saying "hahahahaha - we got you, you sap!"  

Haven't bought a big ticket item from Dicks or GG in years after similarly bad customer service.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Also damn, that's a great price on the King LTD Pro.  Very very tempting, but it would kill me to get a new driver sometime in Nov/Dec and not be able to hit it until March.

That discount shouldn't have worked for dicks though per the near by store here. I was trying to pick up the m1 with it, because it was a custom order.

Either way that's pretty bad it's the same company!

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

That discount shouldn't have worked for dicks though per the near by store here. I was trying to pick up the m1 with it, because it was a custom order.

Either way that's pretty bad it's the same company!

Taylormade was on the exclusion list, Cobra wasn't.

Exactly JB!

Hcky, I am a very patient man. I can endure long periods of extreme punishment over a significant period of time. I have the mental endurance to out think pain. I do it every time I step onto the golf course.

Yea, but no one does it looking better, right?

Taylormade was on the exclusion list, Cobra wasn't.

In that case.

Would've been a steal!

Shame too because dicks just honored an extra 50% trade in bonus they had from an expired sign that was still in display in store.

My Mixed-Bag:

Oh god... I thought you got slapped on the face by a dick...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Oh god... I thought you got slapped on the face by a dick...

That would be worse! ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

The detail that infuriates me most is that an account would be allowed to have almost a $70 discount on the driver just three days after the club was released for pre-sale. Anybody waiting to place an order on this club probably did it on Friday or over the weekend. Then on Monday it's offered for one day at $70 less.

So people that are locked in at other retailers or ones owned by the same company are out of luck.

Posted Image

This is the biggest violation of Cobra/Puma MAP and NPIP that there could be.  Obviously, someone on the eCommerce side of things missed a memo regarding the new Cobra products.  Sucks that you were not able to get them to honor the price....  I would have expected more.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Golf galaxy called today to tell me that dicks made a mistake in offering that driver as part of the Columbus Day sale. However, they are still going to honor the price and price match it. Well done Golf Galaxy!

That sounds more like it!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Dick's wants to sell jockstraps and hoodies. Golf is becoming an albatross to them.

As golf retreats in popularity and goes back to becoming a niche sport, we may find the green grass pro shops (selling at MSRP but offering professional service and custom orders) making a comeback. The demise of fair trade pricing on golf gear is what did them in to begin with. It was always the best way to outfit up. People bought equipment with which they played for fifteen years and the modern club ho (like most of us) hadn't come into being.

For me personally I'd love to see the return of old school club pro shops. I'm not the least bit worried that golf will "go away". Golf rocked along just fine back in the 50's, 60's, 70's. In fact I'd like to see golf return to where it used to be. If that means fewer players taking up the game fine. To each his own. I think everyone pretty much agrees (except perhaps the USGA,PGA, including Dicks) that golf was over built. What we're seeing is the typical boob/bust - level out cycle of business. Any business. If young people don't want to play golf; fine. Stay indoors and mash buttons on an xbox all day. There will always be golfers. Right now the industry is culling the heard. Golf appeals to a certain type of person. It's not for "everyone". So I say why try to make it for everyone?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Golf galaxy called today to tell me that dicks made a mistake in offering that driver as part of the Columbus Day sale. However, they are still going to honor the price and price match it. Well done Golf Galaxy!

At least they're making good on honoring it. Hope you like the king!

My Mixed-Bag:

For me personally I'd love to see the return of old school club pro shops. I'm not the least bit worried that golf will "go away". Golf rocked along just fine back in the 50's, 60's, 70's. In fact I'd like to see golf return to where it used to be. If that means fewer players taking up the game fine. To each his own. I think everyone pretty much agrees (except perhaps the USGA,PGA, including Dicks) that golf was over built. What we're seeing is the typical boob/bust - level out cycle of business. Any business. If young people don't want to play golf; fine. Stay indoors and mash buttons on an xbox all day. There will always be golfers. Right now the industry is culling the heard. Golf appeals to a certain type of person. It's not for "everyone". So I say why try to make it for everyone?

I'm reprinting this from a different thread because I feel it applies here as well.

There are significantly fewer manufacturers in the golf equipment industry now than there were twenty years ago. In the 1950s (sixty years ago), golf became accessible to the working class. Public course industrial leagues were hugely popular in manufacturing factories that have long ceased to exist.

Today, with an economy that results in radical income inequality similar to the previous turn of the century, that accessibility has seriously diminished. Golf is becoming a plutocratic niche sport again, not unlike polo and yacht racing. It hasn't reached that point yet, of course, but that's obviously the direction.

I don't consider that a good thing at all, but this isn't the place to discuss ideology. The impact on golf has become undeniable, however.

I'm with Plaid on this one, all this talk of 12 hole courses or competitions is just anathema to me.  It seems that the game has beome all about the corporate buck and the pro's making exhorbitant amounts of money.  I was reading an article on the Asian Tours written by an anonymous Australian Pro who was saying it has become a win at all costs game and cheating has become rife in the game.  Makes me sad to think all those qualities that my dad taught me that golf was about are becoming a thing of the past in the name of the dollar.  Having said that I don't mind discounted golf gear.

But that's all a bit morbid, glad it worked out Zinger and you didn't get slapped in the face by a dick!  Holy crap I'm glad I didn't have a mouth full of coffee or something when I read that post.  I think a new lap top would have been needed.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

We have a group in the Upper Plains/Midwest that's using a model that's really increased the memberships and rounds played the past few years, by combining unlimited golf & fitness memberships.  They've also included a partnership with an indoor golf facility using About Golf simulators for winter leagues, and adding indoor simulators at some of their affiliated courses, as well.

Their pricing structure is very competitive, and members have acccess to ALL affiliated courses and fitness centers.

I hope this concept gains wide acceptance across the country, and I know the group has plans to continue it's expansion.

http://www.joingreatlife.com/

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Today, I was slapped across the face by Dicks.

Just be glad it is not Faces Sporting Goods and all other words are the same.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• SPY VIP

We have a group in the Upper Plains/Midwest that's using a model that's really increased the memberships and rounds played the past few years, by combining unlimited golf & fitness memberships.  They've also included a partnership with an indoor golf facility using About Golf simulators for winter leagues, and adding indoor simulators at some of their affiliated courses, as well.

Their pricing structure is very competitive, and members have acccess to ALL affiliated courses and fitness centers.

I hope this concept gains wide acceptance across the country, and I know the group has plans to continue it's expansion.

http://www.joingreatlife.com/

$600 annually for golf and fitness almost made me load the u-haul and move to SD. That's awesome!

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

$600 annually for golf and fitness almost made me load the u-haul and move to SD. That's awesome!

It's been a great success here, and with the addition of the simulators, more folks are able to play "winter golf" now.  Course managers say business has never been better.

I expect this concept will become the model for growing the game, as it becomes more widely known.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Archived