SPY ZINGER

Today, I was slapped across the face by Dicks.

Our Sponsors

Dick's wants to sell jockstraps and hoodies. Golf is becoming an albatross to them.

As golf retreats in popularity and goes back to becoming a niche sport, we may find the green grass pro shops (selling at MSRP but offering professional service and custom orders) making a comeback. The demise of fair trade pricing on golf gear is what did them in to begin with. It was always the best way to outfit up. People bought equipment with which they played for fifteen years and the modern club ho (like most of us) hadn't come into being.

• Like 2

For me personally I'd love to see the return of old school club pro shops. I'm not the least bit worried that golf will "go away". Golf rocked along just fine back in the 50's, 60's, 70's. In fact I'd like to see golf return to where it used to be. If that means fewer players taking up the game fine. To each his own. I think everyone pretty much agrees (except perhaps the USGA,PGA, including Dicks) that golf was over built. What we're seeing is the typical boob/bust - level out cycle of business. Any business. If young people don't want to play golf; fine. Stay indoors and mash buttons on an xbox all day. There will always be golfers. Right now the industry is culling the heard. Golf appeals to a certain type of person. It's not for "everyone". So I say why try to make it for everyone?

• Like 3

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Golf galaxy called today to tell me that dicks made a mistake in offering that driver as part of the Columbus Day sale. However, they are still going to honor the price and price match it. Well done Golf Galaxy!

At least they're making good on honoring it. Hope you like the king!

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Rogue 9*, UST chrome 7F5T 

Fairway:     :taylormade-small: M5 3 wood, UST chrome 7F5T

Irons:        :titelist-small: TMB 3i &  :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     :titelist-small: Voke SM7 LTD Jet Black 

Putter:       :bettinardi-small: Queen Bee #9

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

For me personally I'd love to see the return of old school club pro shops. I'm not the least bit worried that golf will "go away". Golf rocked along just fine back in the 50's, 60's, 70's. In fact I'd like to see golf return to where it used to be. If that means fewer players taking up the game fine. To each his own. I think everyone pretty much agrees (except perhaps the USGA,PGA, including Dicks) that golf was over built. What we're seeing is the typical boob/bust - level out cycle of business. Any business. If young people don't want to play golf; fine. Stay indoors and mash buttons on an xbox all day. There will always be golfers. Right now the industry is culling the heard. Golf appeals to a certain type of person. It's not for "everyone". So I say why try to make it for everyone?

I'm reprinting this from a different thread because I feel it applies here as well.

There are significantly fewer manufacturers in the golf equipment industry now than there were twenty years ago. In the 1950s (sixty years ago), golf became accessible to the working class. Public course industrial leagues were hugely popular in manufacturing factories that have long ceased to exist.

Today, with an economy that results in radical income inequality similar to the previous turn of the century, that accessibility has seriously diminished. Golf is becoming a plutocratic niche sport again, not unlike polo and yacht racing. It hasn't reached that point yet, of course, but that's obviously the direction.

I don't consider that a good thing at all, but this isn't the place to discuss ideology. The impact on golf has become undeniable, however.

I'm with Plaid on this one, all this talk of 12 hole courses or competitions is just anathema to me.  It seems that the game has beome all about the corporate buck and the pro's making exhorbitant amounts of money.  I was reading an article on the Asian Tours written by an anonymous Australian Pro who was saying it has become a win at all costs game and cheating has become rife in the game.  Makes me sad to think all those qualities that my dad taught me that golf was about are becoming a thing of the past in the name of the dollar.  Having said that I don't mind discounted golf gear.

But that's all a bit morbid, glad it worked out Zinger and you didn't get slapped in the face by a dick!  Holy crap I'm glad I didn't have a mouth full of coffee or something when I read that post.  I think a new lap top would have been needed.

• Like 5

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

We have a group in the Upper Plains/Midwest that's using a model that's really increased the memberships and rounds played the past few years, by combining unlimited golf & fitness memberships.  They've also included a partnership with an indoor golf facility using About Golf simulators for winter leagues, and adding indoor simulators at some of their affiliated courses, as well.

Their pricing structure is very competitive, and members have acccess to ALL affiliated courses and fitness centers.

I hope this concept gains wide acceptance across the country, and I know the group has plans to continue it's expansion.

http://www.joingreatlife.com/

• Like 1

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

Today, I was slapped across the face by Dicks.

Just be glad it is not Faces Sporting Goods and all other words are the same.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

We have a group in the Upper Plains/Midwest that's using a model that's really increased the memberships and rounds played the past few years, by combining unlimited golf & fitness memberships.  They've also included a partnership with an indoor golf facility using About Golf simulators for winter leagues, and adding indoor simulators at some of their affiliated courses, as well.

Their pricing structure is very competitive, and members have acccess to ALL affiliated courses and fitness centers.

I hope this concept gains wide acceptance across the country, and I know the group has plans to continue it's expansion.

http://www.joingreatlife.com/

$600 annually for golf and fitness almost made me load the u-haul and move to SD. That's awesome!

• Like 1

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

$600 annually for golf and fitness almost made me load the u-haul and move to SD. That's awesome!

It's been a great success here, and with the addition of the simulators, more folks are able to play "winter golf" now.  Course managers say business has never been better.

I expect this concept will become the model for growing the game, as it becomes more widely known.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

I lived in Fargo for a year.  People in the Dakotas will do anything for fun!  

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Oh god... I thought you got slapped on the face by a dick...

ROTFLMFAO--- I thought the same thing--- Glad to see I am not the only one with my mind in the gutter

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

I have not done business with Dick's in Myrtle Beach for about 8 years now. went in there one afternoon to purchase a pair of golf shoes. Found what I wanted on my own no help approached me hey that is ok no problem. went to the checkout and there was this employee bouncing a basket ball. I told him I wanted to check out and he informed me curtly that he was not a cashier. I asked politely if he could get me one still bouncing the basketball he informed me he will be back in a few minutes. Waited for a few minutes and asked again was told 'duuh well I don't know where he is" I asked for a manager because I was steamed still bouncing the ball he told me "he is in the back" can you get him 'well I don't know where in the back he is". I left the shoes on the counter and walked out. Went to North Myrtle Beach to the Golf Shoes of America store where they were more than glad to wait on me and bought 2 pairs of shoes. Ended up writing Dick's corporate a letter on the whole incident and included my Dick's card and basically told them where they could stick it along with that store. A few weeks later I got a letter of apology back from them along with some coupons etc. Went and got some balls on sale and paid little for them. Then when they did the PGA members like they did no notice or anything sealed the deal for me. Never have went back. I still get little sale notices in the mail from them and e-mails sometimes. If I had to depend on just Dick's for equipment to keep playing the game of golf then I would just quit. Sorry for the rant but I hate them that bad

• Like 1

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck