Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Taylormade M1

KCLeo12

I am gonna start by saying I am very anti-TMAG I have not played any of their clubs since the Superdeep. It's not because I think the equipment is inferior it's that they put out new stuff every week.

That being said I hit the M1 today and I have to say it is a very good driver. I was very impressed. Very low spinning head and it feels and sounds great and it looks absolutely Sick!!!

Anyone else had a chance to hit it yet? What were your thought?

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I've hit it a couple of times now. Today I hit it with my gamer shaft and loft that matches my SLDR. With a good fitting the M1 maybe even be longer.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Even without a full fitting it was about 7 yards longer then my Gamer mostly due to being so low spin. I have always been a high spin player never being below 2400 rpms consistently. I hit several in the 1800s and one in that was 1670.

Snell MTB-X

I've hit it a couple of times -- results have been up and down for me.  Not sure why, but I get that with every TaylorMade driver I hit in a store. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm not a Tmag fan. In fact I dislike them for the most part although I've had good experiences with their customer service. I hit the M1 yesterday at my buddy's range and was impressed to say the least. Wind was straight into about 10mph and I was carrying my G25 245-250 which is solid for me. He had a LH 9.5° with the stock Fuji 60 stiff shaft so I hit it. I was not a fan of the sound but I was a huge fan of the looks and performance. As easy to hit as my G25 and 10 yards longer on carry. I hit about 20 drives with it then brought back inside before I did something stupid like buy it. I will be examining it further in the spring.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Don't want to hijack the thread - in fact, I'll start another one, but after two weeks with this guy I'd suggest giving it a demo once January rolls around...

f5 1.jpg

Have been hitting some serious bombs with it so far.  The sounds a little different -- not bad, but different (kinda like the original Alpha, only not, if that makes sense), but I'm keeping up with the long hitters 20 years younger than me!  

Don't fall asleep on Wilson Staff...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Don't fall asleep on Wilson Staff...

Must resist old people jokes......

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Must resist old people jokes......

Eh?  What's that sonny? Cain't hear ye -- and I've fallen and I cain't get up.....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Alright so the thread is officially jacked.  Tell us more about the Wilson - I've been intrigued by it. 

I'm probably done with the SLDR - it had a nice enough run for me including one epic round (69).  I'd still have it in the bag if that stupid Cleveland hadn't of been so ridiculously easy to hit -

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Alright so the thread is officially jacked.  Tell us more about the Wilson - I've been intrigued by it. 

I'm probably done with the SLDR - it had a nice enough run for me including one epic round (69).  I'd still have it in the bag if that stupid Cleveland hadn't of been so ridiculously easy to hit -

I'll start a separate thread -- the stick deserves it!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I've hit the M1 and I think it's a big turd. I'm glad it works for someone, my spin numbers were in the 3200-3500 range on most hits with it. The ball didn't go anywhere, 250-260. Mostly balloon shots. I've had better luck with other "low spin" drivers. I will however hit the 430 model of the M1, but I am not expecting much

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Just to be clear I'd take that nowhere in a heartbeat - my handicap would be back down to 2 in month if I averaged 250 off the tee assuming that everything else stayed the same. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've hit the M1 and I think it's a big turd. I'm glad it works for someone, my spin numbers were in the 3200-3500 range on most hits with it. The ball didn't go anywhere, 250-260. Mostly balloon shots. I've had better luck with other "low spin" drivers. I will however hit the 430 model of the M1, but I am not expecting much

What shaft?

Kor

Those numbers sound very far off from what I would expect what are the numbers from your current set up and what is your current set up

Snell MTB-X

I'm not sure which shaft was in it, my current set up is x2hot pro, set to 8.5 to 9*, I has the stock stiff green tour shaft I it, I have an issue with many of the 460 size low launch low spin drivers, for whatever reason the backspin is really bad, and the ball balloons. At the same time I was hitting the M1 I grabbed the DBD from Callaway, and was 30-40 yards further, the spin was closer to 2000, and launch was around 13, I couldn't get those numbers with the M1, I had the same issues with the Original BB Alpha, the SLDR, loft up for me meant, spin up, it is the same wih the M1.

I'm not sure which shaft was in it, my current set up is x2hot pro, set to 8.5 to 9*, I has the stock stiff green tour shaft I it, I have an issue with many of the 460 size low launch low spin drivers, for whatever reason the backspin is really bad, and the ball balloons. At the same time I was hitting the M1 I grabbed the DBD from Callaway, and was 30-40 yards further, the spin was closer to 2000, and launch was around 13, I couldn't get those numbers with the M1, I had the same issues with the Original BB Alpha, the SLDR, loft up for me meant, spin up, it is the same wih the M1.

Give the M1 another shot, and really pay attention to the shaft and weight positions.  Moving the back weight to the forward position will pay BIG dividends in the spin dept.  

Also, try the 430 head...  Looks and sounds MUCH better than the 460 to me.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I thought the 430 version wasn't available in LH?

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I thought the 430 version wasn't available in LH?

It's not...   Silly me.  I keep forgetting who is lefty and who is not.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I haven't been a big fan of any TMAG driver since the R1...but I will say I was quite impressed with how the M1 felt and I got pretty good numbers from it. I tried the 430 head and I loved the look but just didn't really like the feel as much as I wanted.

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

Give the M1 another shot, and really pay attention to the shaft and weight positions. Moving the back weight to the forward position will pay BIG dividends in the spin dept.

Also, try the 430 head... Looks and sounds MUCH better than the 460 to me.

Being left handed, the big stores usually take a while to get the 430 heads in Lh models, they don't have one yet, I will hit the 430 head when I get the opportunity.

Just take the RH club and turn it upside down. ;) We have a lefty that can hit the ball about 220 with a RH driver.

I do this with my irons all the time, I can pretty accurately hit my 8 iron 130 with it turned upside down, I used to practice with wedges, and 7, 8 irons all the time. Except I use the 8 iron upside down and swing RH. I'venevr hit RH driver upside down and swung lefty, but I have done it with wedges, I can hit a 56 deg. That way the same distance as a normal 56 deg wedge, 100-110 yards. I also learned to play RH when I was a kid because that's all we had was RH clubs, I have a video of me swinging this way but I can't figure out how to post it. Technically challenged

Anyone know if it is more forgiving than the R15? I demoed the 460 and 430 and loved the sound/feel. I tried it with the fujikura pro, speeder evo 661 and 757. Going to try it with the same shaft thats in my r15 and mess around with the settings to see if its worth an upgrade.

I don't get too hung up on Tmag releases, all golf business' and any business' motive is profit-plain and simple, but I can understand getting miffed that you dropped 500 on a driver in February, that is 370 by october but if that's the case why not get mad at car manufacturers for the same reasons....

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Anyone know if it is more forgiving than the R15? I demoed the 460 and 430 and loved the sound/feel. I tried it with the fujikura pro, speeder evo 661 and 757. Going to try it with the same shaft thats in my r15 and mess around with the settings to see if its worth an upgrade.

I don't get too hung up on Tmag releases, all golf business' and any business' motive is profit-plain and simple, but I can understand getting miffed that you dropped 500 on a driver in February, that is 370 by october but if that's the case why not get mad at car manufacturers for the same reasons....

When I was trying them side by side on a simulator I noticed my spin rates were lower with the m1 on miss hits. I usually miss out on the toe. The m1 felt better to me as well on miss hits. I don't know how straight it would stay on the course just cause I was testing inside.

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

I cant compare it to the R15 as I have never hit it. But I did notice a large distance loss on miss hits that I didnt see with the other drivers I hit. I was hitting the 430 which isnt really a forgiving club anyway. I may try the 460 in 8.5* and see it there is any more forgiveness

Snell MTB-X

Very Intersting stuff on the Blog:  http://www.mygolfspy.com/cobra-king-ltd-vs-taylormade-m1/

M1 versus LTD

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I'd hit it since Tmag has always seemed to be a good fit for me but at this point I'm satisfied with what I have.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Last week I got the chance to hit the M1. I will say taht i was very impressed with this club. It took me a couple swings to get used to it, but I loved the way it felt and the way it looked next to the ball. I hit the 430 with a KuroKage 60 shaft at 9.5 degrees. Each of the weights were at the nuetural settings. I was hitting the ball at 16 degrees and the average spin at 2100 few got as low as 1750. I can't tell you what normal is, but what I can tell you is that the distance and ball flight wasn't. It was better. I was hitting it around 287 and 302 with a baby draw. I know that is just what the monitor was saying but I liked the numbers. The other thing that I liked was the size of the head next to the ball. The white and black color made it appear to be smaller. I can't stand the sizes of some of the divers that are out on the market now. I know that the 430 is smaller in the first place but even the 460 looks smaller than other clubs as well. Overall, if I had my checkbook, I would have bought it right then and there. Loved the new club. It will be in the bag by next spring.

What's in the Bag

Bag- Sun Mountian 

Driver - Callaway Rouge 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow
Fairway wood - Ping G15 3 wood

Hybrid - Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 19* 
Irons - Callaway XR 5-PW
Wedges - Cleveland 588-RTX 52* 56* 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 - SuperStroke Wrist lock Grip

Last week I got the chance to hit the M1. I will say taht i was very impressed with this club. It took me a couple swings to get used to it, but I loved the way it felt and the way it looked next to the ball. I hit the 430 with a KuroKage 60 shaft at 9.5 degrees. Each of the weights were at the nuetural settings. I was hitting the ball at 16 degrees and the average spin at 2100 few got as low as 1750. I can't tell you what normal is, but what I can tell you is that the distance and ball flight wasn't. It was better. I was hitting it around 287 and 302 with a baby draw. I know that is just what the monitor was saying but I liked the numbers. The other thing that I liked was the size of the head next to the ball. The white and black color made it appear to be smaller. I can't stand the sizes of some of the divers that are out on the market now. I know that the 430 is smaller in the first place but even the 460 looks smaller than other clubs as well. Overall, if I had my checkbook, I would have bought it right then and there. Loved the new club. It will be in the bag by next spring.

Did you hit your current gamer on the same LM? 16/2100 would or should produce great results.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Did you hit your current gamer on the same LM? 16/2100 would or should produce great results.

I did not. I was on such a cloud of hiting the M1, that I didn't even think about it until I was almost home. I even had my bag in the trunk!!!

What's in the Bag

Bag- Sun Mountian 

Driver - Callaway Rouge 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow
Fairway wood - Ping G15 3 wood

Hybrid - Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 19* 
Irons - Callaway XR 5-PW
Wedges - Cleveland 588-RTX 52* 56* 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 - SuperStroke Wrist lock Grip

Archived