TESTERS WANTED! ×

Burner Superlaunch Irons

• SPY VIP

Did anyone else just get the email from Golfsmith showing the new Burner Superlaunch Irons? The cavity looks a bit off to me. I play and love the 2009 Burner irons.

Are these GI or SGI? Anyone else think they look a bit goofy?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Now those are SSGI, i.e. Super Super Game Improvement. Yikes!

I'm playing the 09 Burners w/ KBS Tours and loving them!! Wow... what a great set of irons.

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

• SPY VIP

Looking at these makes me think of the ugly yellow insert on the new Adams putters. How do these design ideas get to production? Someone at Adams should have said, "Damn, that's nasty."

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Seems like TaylorMade is really trying to appeal to a certain market segment here. It's a shame really...TaylorMade still can make a great club, but I think they've gotten lost over the last few years in some bizarre obsession with adding iron distance (even if it means decreasing lofts, and increasing shaft lengths). Most of us carry 8 of the damn things (irons), so there really isn't a pressing need to squeeze an extra 10 yards out of each and every one of them. I'd rather seem TM focus on things like feel and forgiveness, and looks, rather than trying to squeeze an unnecessary 10 yards out of a strange looking iron with a suspect paint job.

I tell the guys I work with all the time...I still really like the TM clubs - woods especially, but I've come to think of TaylorMade more as a marketing engine than a golf company.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

True is ugly but right with this club marketed towards a more beginer golfer than someone who has played the game awhile

besides when i get oldlike when im 40 , im 25 now, ill be using these J/K 40 not to old more like 45

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

• SPY VIP

True is ugly but right with this club marketed towards a more beginer golfer than someone who has played the game awhile

besides when i get oldlike when im 40 , im 25 now, ill be using these J/K 40 not to old more like 45

Maybe you are right. I guess I have 4 years to dump my 09 Burners.

Be careful though, that demon 40 comes after you in a hurry.

Volvo Intorqueo

TM is such a disaster. the rep brought these in the other day and almost gagged when i saw them...uglier and bulkier in person. the red graphic in the cavity is horrendous and empty. such a shame...go back to the days of the rac OS and LT.

• SPY VIP

TM is such a disaster. the rep brought these in the other day and almost gagged when i saw them...uglier and bulkier in person. the red graphic in the cavity is horrendous and empty. such a shame...go back to the days of the rac OS and LT.

Not good. The red does seem too big. How do they get this design so far off? Look at the Adams black irons thread. Those are amazing looking. The TM forged musclebacks are one of my favorite iron heads ever (to look at mind you, I can't hit them for nuthin'). Someone could design a sexy, functional iron. OS was excellent, R7 OK if you don't mind the color. I play the 09 BUrners and like their looks much more than the Burner + or the other models. Maybe the 09's were the exception.

Volvo Intorqueo

Not good. The red does seem too big. How do they get this design so far off? Look at the Adams black irons thread. Those are amazing looking. The TM forged musclebacks are one of my favorite iron heads ever (to look at mind you, I can't hit them for nuthin'). Someone could design a sexy, functional iron. OS was excellent, R7 OK if you don't mind the color. I play the 09 BUrners and like their looks much more than the Burner + or the other models. Maybe the 09's were the exception.

I have a philosophy that every OEM tells their designers to make their super game improvement irons as ugly as possible. I can only reach this theory due to the fact that I haven't seen a good looking super game improvement iron.

• SPY VIP

I have a philosophy that every OEM tells their designers to make their super game improvement irons as ugly as possible. I can only reach this theory due to the fact that I haven't seen a good looking super game improvement iron.

These even make the HiBore irons look good to me.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Wow!! That speaks volumes of to how ugly these irons are because the Hi-Bore irons are one of the most atrocious irons ever invented.

Yeah, but they all come with numbered headcovers. IMHO that makes them nicer than these. Plus the Hibore sand wedge is soooo goofy looking that it can make you smile when your ball ends up in the trap.

"Damn, sand, but look at this crazy club lol!"

Volvo Intorqueo

Yeah, but they all come with numbered headcovers. IMHO that makes them nicer than these. Plus the Hibore sand wedge is soooo goofy looking that it can make you smile when your ball ends up in the trap.

"Damn, sand, but look at this crazy club lol!"

I think when I tried the Hi-Bore irons I laughed before every shot. I know when I first picked them up the first words out of my mouth were something like...."You have got to be ******* kidding me!"

• SPY VIP

I had the HiBore XL driver for a while. Liked the club, but my buddies and I got in the habit of shouting HiBore before and after every drive. Couldn't help it. I wanted to buy the irons so we could say it after every shot.

HIBORE!!!!

Volvo Intorqueo

I think when I tried the Hi-Bore irons I laughed before every shot. I know when I first picked them up the first words out of my mouth were something like...."You have got to be ******* kidding me!"

That Hibore Iron does exactly what it is supposed to do. Help the "Iron Challenged" with iron play. It may look like poo, but it is effective. I'm sure the SUPERLAUNCH will be much the same, ugly but effective.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

i agree...the HiBores are far better than the SuperLaunch irons. the new HB3's are better looking than last years HiBore and they slimmed them down a bit.

New HiBore irons???????

:lol: :lol: :D :D

Got to go to the shop today. Not being nasty, I am honestly curious about how they look.

Volvo Intorqueo

Yes, the 09 Burner's ARE the exception. I have them and they are great irons. Especially at address. They do wonders with shading to give the visual appearance that the topline is thinner than it is. Absolute wonders.

• SPY VIP

Yes, the 09 Burner's ARE the exception. I have them and they are great irons. Especially at address. They do wonders with shading to give the visual appearance that the topline is thinner than it is. Absolute wonders.

Did they look at the the 09 designer and say "Your club doesn't really meet the TaylorMade image. Pack your desk."

My guess is no, with the adverts and promotions for the 09 burners still. Free 6 irons returned again.

Maybe it is just a lesson in appreciating diversity in appearance. Not every person is beautiful, but they have value.

{Still ain't buying these irons though}

Volvo Intorqueo

I'll agree with that... with my handicap, and playing style, I should be looking for SGI irons, but every set I look at will get me laughed off the course...

Sure maybe they are super forgiving, but I'd rather change my swing and learn to hit GI clubs better, than swing those in public...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I'll agree with that... with my handicap, and playing style, I should be looking for SGI irons, but every set I look at will get me laughed off the course...

Sure maybe they are super forgiving, but I'd rather change my swing and learn to hit GI clubs better, than swing those in public...

Oh I would agree. Although you can easily rock some PING G5's, G10's or some older model Callaway Big Bertha's and they look just fine. Heck, even the Mizuno MX900's look sweet.

I had the HiBore XL driver for a while. Liked the club, but my buddies and I got in the habit of shouting HiBore before and after every drive. Couldn't help it. I wanted to buy the irons so we could say it after every shot.

HIBORE!!!!

I don't think I would waste the money just to be able to say that, plus you would have to look at them before and after every shot which would only downgrade your confidence and status in life.

• SPY VIP

Do they have the Inverted Cone that seem to stick out of all of Taylor Made's Irons?

It doesn't look like it. Here is the link to GPPgolf with some more photos. $799 too.

http://www.gppgolf.com/products2.cfm/ID/8065/name/Taylor-made-Burner-SuperLaunch-Irons-REAX-SuperFast-60-Graphite

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived