TESTERS WANTED! ×

The most frustrating thing about golf is...

I'm sure we've all gone through it, but I finally got my swing feeling like money, but my putting went down the drain!  I can't explain how frustrating this has been, as I've been working so hard on the swing just to be let down by the flatstick.  I thought instead of venting to the people I normally bother with my golfing woes, I'd bring it to the forum.  

So the question:  What frustrates you most about golf? 

Aside from my putting woes, here are my top 5:

1. Practice sessions that end with me wanting to break every club, and feeling like I got worse

2. Not being able to bring my swing from the range to the course

3. Nagging swing thoughts (don't go in the water, don't go O.B., you're due for a miss, etc.)

4. Bogeys from the middle of the fairway

5. Conflicting golf advice

I'm interested to hear everyones!

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SLDR 460 w/Oban Devotion X-Stiff
3-Wood: Rocketballz Stage 2 w/Oban Devotion X-Stiff
Hybrid: Titleist 910 H 21 degree w/Diamana X-Stiff
Irons (3-9): Callaway X-Forged w/X-100s tipped 1/2"
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 53/11 and 59/10 w/S400s
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #7

Facebook Page

I'll confine these to my own game -

I would go with 1-4 and then throw in these

5.  An aging body that can't do what it used to do or even sometimes what it needs to do to produce a good swing.

6.  A total lack of consistency.

7.  Not enough time to practice or play to keep my game in regular shape.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1. Not being able to play in the winter due to living in MN

2. When you finally get everything clicking and have been playing the best golf of the season but now it's mid-late Oct and the season will be ending within weeks

3.  3-putt pars

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Substitute New England for the "Land of 10,000 Lakes," and I'm right there with you on all counts, hckymeyer.

Only I'd add being 69 and unable to do everything that I could once do.

I used to switch to bowling around this time, but now it's just more recliner naps between stupid simulcast call-in shows with people sharing their "genius" about Belichik and the Patriots. Good thing that I still have to walk my dog.

3 putts

4 putts

And leaving birdie, par, or bogey putts short by 2 inches, when it's directly in the middle of the cup.

Having 9 iron in your hand from the middle of the fairway and chunking it into the revine that is. 30 yards in from of you, so instead of an easy par you walk away with a Double.

I could go on with what frustrates me in a round, but I could be here all day.

By the way, everything I described above happened to me on Today, in 1 round of golf.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

An aging body that can't do what it used to do or even sometimes what it needs to do to produce a good swing.

A total lack of consistency.

Not being able to play in the winter due to living in S. Dakota

When you finally get everything clicking and have been playing the best golf of the season but now it's mid-late Oct and the season will be ending within weeks

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

An aging body that can't do what it used to do or even sometimes what it needs to do to produce a good swing.

A total lack of consistency.

Not being able to play in the winter due to living in S. Dakota

When you finally get everything clicking and have been playing the best golf of the season but now it's mid-late Oct and the season will be ending within weeks

Sorry Bill.  I am not "Liking" your post because of your aging body, lack of consistency, and no play in winter.  I wish that on nobody!  I just think it pretty much sums up golf at our age in the north.  The only difference between us is that I can play all year which is good that I can get out of the house, but bad because playing at temperatures below freezing with lots of clothes cause swing flaws that have to be fixed come spring.  Each year it seems to take longer to fix them!

I see a trend here in this thread... lack of consistency.  We all would like to be more consistent.  It's what defines us amateurs.  If there is any consistency, it's our lack of consistency!  :)    When we can, we all like to get out and play, but how much time do we spend practicing the shots we need to practice to develop consistency?  Not much, if I am reading the posts correctly.  

I have made a commitment to myself for this winter (call it an early New Year's resolution).  Sure, this winter I will play but not like I used to.  I will be working on recovering my game just to see if this old body is capable of better scores.  Being retired now, I should have no excuses, right?  This is sounding like the subject of a new post; I need a plan so I will be developing one.  Enjoy the winter everyone!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite is when I am striping it on the range hitting every shot just like I want to because that kind of ball striking never carries over to the course.

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

Hearing people from my old stomping grounds up north (who are of the age to complain about getting old) complaining about not being able to golf in the winter, when there's golfing Mecca they could move to down here in Florida.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Hey from my perspective it's even too cold where you live Jax.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hey from my perspective it's even too cold where you live Jax.

Rarely much more than a 5 degree difference.  But that difference is key in keeping the snowbirds away!  How's traffic over there?

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Rarely much more than a 5 degree difference.  But that difference is key in keeping the snowbirds away!  How's traffic over there?

Got me there counsellor. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

For me, it is the unsolicited advice. I play most of my rounds in a group where I am the youngest regular player (by close to 20 years). There is something that just forces some of them to offer up lots of unsolicited advice, and it is the single most annoying thing people do. 

All the rest of it? that is why we play. Those the just the challenges that keep us coming back.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

No matter how well I strike it during a round, I only remember that one bad shot. 

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Putting.

Also, groups of 6 or so that want to take their sweet time and not let anyone through. No matter how close the group behind is staying. The same group of guys that will give you dirty looks and talk bad about you if you pass them anyway because it takes them 20 minutes to finish a part 3.

WIMB:

:nike-small: Covert Driver set at 10.5

:taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 15 Degree 3 wood

:taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 19 Degree Hybrid

:nike-small: Cover 2.0 Irons 4-PW, AW

52 Degree Shakespeare Wedge

60 Degree Giga Golf Wedge

Golfmate Putter

Putting.

Also, groups of 6 or so that want to take their sweet time and not let anyone through. No matter how close the group behind is staying. The same group of guys that will give you dirty looks and talk bad about you if you pass them anyway because it takes them 20 minutes to finish a part 3.

A group of 6 is bad course management.  The complaint should go to the head pro.  The problem is that once a course allows a 5some, then it grows to a 6some or larger.  It happens a lot here too.  We have a group that plays every morning.  A large group may form depending on the number of players that show up.  If it is close to a number of players divisible by 4. then all is good.  Teams are formed; sometimes a 5some is formed because one player is not that good and is thrown on a team.  They move along OK, but when only 6 players show up, they would rather play as a 6some rather than two 3somes.  Then play slows down.  

Even if the large group plays fairly fast, the problem doesn't end.  Other players see a 6some on the course and think they can get their buddies and do the same thing.  They book two tee times, but when on the course, they join up.  That's when it's chaos.  The head pro has to put a stop to all large groups whether they play quickly or not.  It's up to the course if they want to allow 5somes, but if they do, 6somes will eventually occur.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

A group of 6 is bad course management.  The complaint should go to the head pro.  The problem is that once a course allows a 5some, then it grows to a 6some or larger.  It happens a lot here too.  We have a group that plays every morning.  A large group may form depending on the number of players that show up.  If it is close to a number of players divisible by 4. then all is good.  Teams are formed; sometimes a 5some is formed because one player is not that good and is thrown on a team.  They move along OK, but when only 6 players show up, they would rather play as a 6some rather than two 3somes.  Then play slows down.  

Even if the large group plays fairly fast, the problem doesn't end.  Other players see a 6some on the course and think they can get their buddies and do the same thing.  They book two tee times, but when on the course, they join up.  That's when it's chaos.  The head pro has to put a stop to all large groups whether they play quickly or not.  It's up to the course if they want to allow 5somes, but if they do, 6somes will eventually occur.

Last time I played it was terrible. The guys that were ahead of us last time were each dropping 2-3 balls if they were playing bad shots and wouldn't budge.

The owner of the course (a locally owned, small 9 hole course) is pretty bad at letting anyone and everyone play. I totally understand going out and trying to have a little fun, but if you're holding up 3 groups behind you, move on. 

WIMB:

:nike-small: Covert Driver set at 10.5

:taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 15 Degree 3 wood

:taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 19 Degree Hybrid

:nike-small: Cover 2.0 Irons 4-PW, AW

52 Degree Shakespeare Wedge

60 Degree Giga Golf Wedge

Golfmate Putter

Last time I played it was terrible. The guys that were ahead of us last time were each dropping 2-3 balls if they were playing bad shots and wouldn't budge.

The owner of the course (a locally owned, small 9 hole course) is pretty bad at letting anyone and everyone play. I totally understand going out and trying to have a little fun, but if you're holding up 3 groups behind you, move on. 

Your 9-hole course sounds like the 9-hole course that I practice on.  (Well, I used to until I moved my membership this month.)  The pro who also built and runs the course lets most everyone do whatever they want on the course.  That's one of my peeves and why I am not playing there anymore.  He had to put a stop to the large groups when people that weren't members actually complained; he had a drop off in revenue because people didn't come back.  

The large groups still happen as he will tolerate it when the course is otherwise empty.  As I said previously however, people see the large groups and will form their own groups during times when the course is full.  They say "Why can't we play in our group, we've seen others do it?"  There are course rules that have to be followed.

the most annoying about golf are the people who work at golf facility:

1. When I was a beginner about 10 years ago.  There was always a "driving range pro" like tin cup who gave unsolicited advice.  It's annoying because they approached me and told me those annoying pointers.   Well I'll hire you when I need to.... for now give me some space. 

2. Those course marshalls who follow your group. 

3. When you go to a range and ask "where is the practice bunker?"  And they don't even know what a bunker is. 

4. If you go to Japan, they have female caddies.   They are not annoying but they are trying too hard.  They even read your green when you don't even need it.  And dont forget to give them a hefty tip because most Japanese do.

5. Those snobby staffs at private clubs.     

Number one is the lipout, actually how much did we miss when we lipout?

Number two is the half inch tree branch that is 200 yards away that manages to stop dead a golf ball travelling over 120 mph. The old adage trees are 80 percent air didn't include this; that the other 80 percent of the tree is like a solid brick wall.

Last but not least, the two guys in a cart who never leave the cart alone. Guy 1 drives to ball 150 yds. from green on right side of fairway, gets out, pulls out rangefinder, pulls club goes through pre-shot routine that he learned from Kevin Na during his fidgety days, hits the ball after he hits the planet earth, to save time he does not replace his divot. Meanwhile guy 2 sat in the cart the whole time. Guy 1 gets back in and then they drive 7 yds. to the left and 3 yds. closer to the green, guy 2 gets out, and repeats guy 1 shtick. Guy 1 is remains in cart even though his ball is only 32 ft from where guy 2 is playing. At this point I wish I brought that rocket launcher with heat seeking missile but alas, no.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

• 2 weeks later...

I'll go:

1) being short and watching a person 6 foot deliver leverage to a swing I can only dream of creating.

2) slow foursomes.

3) hitting a great drive and second shot only to flub chips and putts.

4) working night shift and having morning only tee off times.

5) bad hops from good shots.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Golf is a lot like trying to get a wrinkle out of the carpet in a room that is fully carpeted.  The momnt you remove the wrinkle, another one pops up somewhere else.  That is frustrating.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

That's really good. ;)

+1 to that!

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SLDR 460 w/Oban Devotion X-Stiff
3-Wood: Rocketballz Stage 2 w/Oban Devotion X-Stiff
Hybrid: Titleist 910 H 21 degree w/Diamana X-Stiff
Irons (3-9): Callaway X-Forged w/X-100s tipped 1/2"
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 53/11 and 59/10 w/S400s
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #7

Facebook Page

Hearing people from my old stomping grounds up north (who are of the age to complain about getting old) complaining about not being able to golf in the winter, when there's golfing Mecca they could move to down here in Florida.  

I lost the vote on moving South by one vote (hers)!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I lost the vote on moving South by one vote (hers)!

The slimmest of margins yet still a landslide wind for her.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Archived