TESTERS WANTED! ×

Graphite shaft for putters?

Maverickping

Never really gave it any thought Maverick, always played the steel.......what advantages are there to graphite putters? Is it a smoother stroke?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

It feels smoother and there appears to be a little bit better feedback. Just not certain whether it justifies the $150.00 that they cost. But, a friend of mine (Accra) has graphite shafts for putters in his line now and will be going to try them out for a putter I am thinking about.

I used to have blond hair (now going gray/white), that might be where the real confusion begins :)

There are quite a few guys on WRX touting them. Personally I never have experimented with them. Now if you wanted to experiment depending on the brand and style of putter there is a low cost altetnative . Go to the thrift stores or yard sales and buy an in expensive club with a graphite shaft and try it. Make sure the putter takes a .370 shaft and your donor iron is 370 also.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Thanks Stu, I will be going to see my friends at Modern Golf (who helped in the process of the Accra shaft) and will test them out when the new LH Miura putters become available. There is one Miura LH now but it is 363 grams and the one I'm interested in (350-353 gram head) will be available in roughly 2-3 months.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to imagine that with modern balls and inserts its pretty tough to tell the difference in a blind comparison. I have a softer flex shaft in my Edel and would not rule out graphite if the tests backed it up. Any statistical benefit can only help your mental game!

:edel-golf-1: Irons

:edel-golf-1: Wedges (DVR grind)

:edel-golf-1: Putter

Krank Driver w/ Fujikura Speeder tour spec x-flex

I like the Fujikura PT-110.  It's a smooth shaft.  Reduces audible feedback well if you have a harsh putter (such as a fine milled as opposed to a deep milled putter).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I've got one putter with a graphite shaft--a Frankly Frog.

I've got two putters with hickory shafts--a Callaway Little Poison III and a Tad Moore Chicopee.

The other guilty parties--and that's what all of my putters are--have steel shafts and are usually the only steel shafted club in my bag. 

If shaft material is important in a putter, I've never been a good enough rock roller to discern that.

• SPY VIP

Curious about this one as well. Something shafted with a Matrix shaft has been on my to do list for a while. Had an Edel with the UST Frequency Filtered shaft and that one definitely had a different feel. Good different, I'd say, but didn't game/keep it long enough to know for sure. #putterho 

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Maybe someone could explain to me what the difference is between a steel and graphite putter shaft.  I can understand light vs heavy weight difference, but if you use a heavy weight graphite that is similar to steel weight, what's the difference in playability?  Looks, I can understand but smoother doesn't make any sense to me. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Graphite is better at dampening vibrations. It makes the putter sound quieter which most people equate to feel. Sound and feel are the same thing. You can accomplish the same thing with a thicker grip or deep milling or a sound slot. If you have a fine milled putter, graphite will make it "feel" softer by quieting the sound down because it dampens vibrations more

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I understand dampening vibrations; it's one of the reasons I went to graphite in my irons years ago.  But I hardly put enough force on a putt that, if hit in the middle of the clubface, I would feel any difference.  Maybe on a 50 footer.   Yes, I can tell the difference in sound between milled faces and inserts, although my hearing is getting worse each year :( but to me that doesn't translate to feel.  I do prefer deep miled putter faces.

If I went to a graphite shaft, it would have to be free.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I understand dampening vibrations; it's one of the reasons I went to graphite in my irons years ago. But I hardly put enough force on a putt that, if hit in the middle of the clubface, I would feel any difference. Maybe on a 50 footer. Yes, I can tell the difference in sound between milled faces and inserts, although my hearing is getting worse each year :( but to me that doesn't translate to feel. I do prefer deep miled putter faces.

If I went to a graphite shaft, it would have to be free.

Sound and feel are one in the same. Put in some ear plugs and hit putts with 2 identical putters, one fly milled and one deep milled and if you didn't look at the faces you wouldn't be able to tell which was which. Graphite changes the audible pitch of a putter. That changes the "feel". Same with the frequency filtered. Same concept except it's only half graphite. It's much cheaper to swap in a graphite shaft than find someone to remill a putter face

In The Bag

Graphite is better at dampening vibrations. It makes the putter sound quieter which most people equate to feel. Sound and feel are the same thing. You can accomplish the same thing with a thicker grip or deep milling or a sound slot. If you have a fine milled putter, graphite will make it "feel" softer by quieting the sound down because it dampens vibrations more

My Giannini has a Pure Big Dog grip, deep milling and a sound slot which makes it one of the best "feeling" putters that I have ever rolled. It has been in my bag since the day it arrived and I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.....which is a big step for me. Although I don't think it will stop me from buying some new flatsticks over the winter.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I had a graphite shaft in a copper Nead Mini with a Salty grip on it. Good thing it was fine milled or it'd have felt even more soft than it did. Was already close to the mushy side

In The Bag

• 3 years later...

Kicking this idea around, and so I thought I'd revive this old thread.

With the ascendance of the Stroke Lab putters, along with the Stability shafts, UST Frequency Filtered shafts, and DeChambeau playing graphite in his putter, anyone else try just a graphite shaft in their putters? I understand that Stroke Lab, Stability, and UST are all multi-material.

I just ordered a Gravity Grip, and I'm considering building it with graphite just to see if it makes any difference in feel and (especially) in my stroke.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I think there's definitely something to these shafts. I gamed the Stroke Lab for 2 months before returning it because of the face insert. It definitely had a great balance to it.

Just picked up a Spider X that has the KBS CT Tour shaft and while it's not graphite, it's feeling every bit as stable in the limited amount of practice I've had with it so far. The benefit of the CT Tour is that it's leaps and bounds cheaper because it is steel, but built with the same idea in mind. Might be a cheaper DIY experiment for you to try! But as we all know, curiosity will probably get the better of you later down the road and you'll have a graphite shaft eventually 😂

Taking the Spider X out tomorrow for the maiden voyage.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Interesting, @yungkory. Is there some claims about what the KBS shaft is supposed to be doing? The description on their own website couldn't possibly be more generic: "The KBS CT Tour Putter Shaft is the first shaft for your putter to incorporate KBS Golf Shaft Technology into your game on the green."

Translation: "The KBS putter shaft is—wait for it—a putter shaft that's made by KBS!"

EDIT: I was looking at this as a cheap experiment option: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Graphite-Matrix-Kujoh-CFI-85g-Extra-Stiff-Flex-Iron-Shaft-40-370/202573802374

Full WITB with pictures

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Interesting, @yungkory. Is there some claims about what the KBS shaft is supposed to be doing? The description on their own website couldn't possibly be more generic: "The KBS CT Tour Putter Shaft is the first shaft for your putter to incorporate KBS Golf Shaft Technology into your game on the green."

Translation: "The KBS putter shaft is—wait for it—a putter shaft that's made by KBS!"

EDIT: I was looking at this as a cheap experiment option: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Graphite-Matrix-Kujoh-CFI-85g-Extra-Stiff-Flex-Iron-Shaft-40-370/202573802374

• CONSTANT WEIGHT
  • STIFFER STRUCTURE
  • STIFFER TIP

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Kicking this idea around, and so I thought I'd revive this old thread.

With the ascendance of the Stroke Lab putters, along with the Stability shafts, UST Frequency Filtered shafts, and DeChambeau playing graphite in his putter, anyone else try just a graphite shaft in their putters? I understand that Stroke Lab, Stability, and UST are all multi-material.

I just ordered a Gravity Grip, and I'm considering building it with graphite just to see if it makes any difference in feel and (especially) in my stroke.

I had a crappy old putter with a graphite shaft in it (still may be around in my attic somewhere). I liked the way the shaft felt, but the head was too light and I struggled quite a bit with long putts. I've wondered on occasion about getting another putter like that, but I'm happy with what I've got right now. I don't see a real need to change.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 4 months later...

Bumping this post yet again, because I'm thinking about (yet another) experiment.

I just finished my off-season putter test, and the winner was my Odyssey EXO with my DIY Stroke Lab shaft. A putter that did well but not enough to finish on top was my new Frontline Elevado slant neck.

Before the testing began, I put a Flat Cat Tek slim on the Elevado, and I think that was a mistake. The stock grip on the Frontlines is quite heavy (120g) and the Flat Cat is quite light (64g). Swapping the grips made the putter very head heavy, to the point that I really felt like I had to steer it through the stroke.

So I want to tweak it a little more. I was considering building up another DIY Stroke Lab for it, and I still might. But let me ask this: can anyone suggest a reason that a steel tip section is going to perform differently than if I just went all graphite? The core advertised benefit of the Stroke Lab isn't stability; it's that the weight distribution to the grip and head (and out of the shaft) improves the stroke.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the steel tip of the Stroke Lab has as much to do with aesthetics and advertising (Stroke Lab putters are immediately recognizable on Tour TV broadcasts) as it is performance.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Full WITB with pictures

On 11/19/2019 at 8:47 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Bumping this post yet again, because I'm thinking about (yet another) experiment.

I just finished my off-season putter test, and the winner was my Odyssey EXO with my DIY Stroke Lab shaft. A putter that did well but not enough to finish on top was my new Frontline Elevado slant neck.

Before the testing began, I put a Flat Cat Tek slim on the Elevado, and I think that was a mistake. The stock grip on the Frontlines is quite heavy (120g) and the Flat Cat is quite light (64g). Swapping the grips made the putter very head heavy, to the point that I really felt like I had to steer it through the stroke.

So I want to tweak it a little more. I was considering building up another DIY Stroke Lab for it, and I still might. But let me ask this: can anyone suggest a reason that a steel tip section is going to perform differently than if I just went all graphite? The core advertised benefit of the Stroke Lab isn't stability; it's that the weight distribution to the grip and head (and out of the shaft) improves the stroke.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the steel tip of the Stroke Lab has as much to do with aesthetics and advertising (Stroke Lab putters are immediately recognizable on Tour TV broadcasts) as it is performance.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I would agree with this. Kinda like Bubba's bi matrix shaft. it stands out. they could have accomplished the same thing with an all graphite or all steel shaft right? 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Ive owned a couple JDM putters that had graphite shafts, one a Mizuno and the other a Yamaha and they were OK.  They were very light and didnt have a whole lot of feel though.

I guess that I really dont see what the advantage to a graphite shaft in a putter would be.  With the rest of the clubs, they are lighter and give you more clubhead speed but in putters thats not really the issue.

I would think that steel would be better because it would make the club heavier and would make it easier to make a smooth, pendulum stroke.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

5 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

I would think that steel would be better because it would make the club heavier and would make it easier to make a smooth, pendulum stroke.

High total weight isn't always ideal.  This has been the trend in the industry and as heads have gotten heavier  people started counterbalancing to get back proper feel.  The problem is that the higher weight will influence the stroke and potentially make it worse.    Most people assume heavier leads to smoother which isn't always the cases.     The idea behind stroke lab is to lighten total weight and use graphite to distribute weight to the head and grip to give that same feel.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 hours ago, cnosil said:

High total weight isn't always ideal.  This has been the trend in the industry and as heads have gotten heavier  people started counterbalancing to get back proper feel.  The problem is that the higher weight will influence the stroke and potentially make it worse.    Most people assume heavier leads to smoother which isn't always the cases.     The idea behind stroke lab is to lighten total weight and use graphite to distribute weight to the head and grip to give that same feel.  

Low total weight isn't ideal either.  One of the first putters I ever had was made by a local company no longer in business.  Looked very pretty... brass head and red/black graphite shaft, but it was so light, I couldn't control my stroke.

IMG_0206.jpg.621442bdedf07b6a9aa21a483ec0bc11.jpg

I moved on to the Heavy Putter and had a lot of success keeping the head square at impact.  That led to my Ping Sigma G Doon with a 400g head and counterbalance... perfect!  I tried every putter with head weights 340-370g and nothing felt right and results were atrocious.  We are all so different!!!

20 hours ago, cnosil said:

Im not sure that I agree with you on the Stroke Lab.  It isnt so much that they made it lighter as they made the head a little heavier, removed a lot of weight from the shaft but made it stiffer and added weight to the grip to counterbalance it.

In some ways, they made it even more head heavy that putters traditionally are.  IMO, much of the magic in Stroke Lab is in the stiffer shaft.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Some very successful puttees have used very light putters. Crenshaw, Faxon and Tiger. I would venture a guess that Tiger's putter is the lightest on tour. One thing they all have in common is incredible feel. Something us mere mortals don't have. As with everything YMMV. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

26 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

Im not sure that I agree with you on the Stroke Lab.  It isnt so much that they made it lighter as they made the head a little heavier, removed a lot of weight from the shaft but made it stiffer and added weight to the grip to counterbalance it.

In some ways, they made it even more head heavy that putters traditionally are.  IMO, much of the magic in Stroke Lab is in the stiffer shaft.

Does Odyssey claim any stability/stiffness benefits to the Stroke Lab shaft? All I recall when I looked it up is that they said that the weight distribution promoted a better stroke.

Full WITB with pictures