Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

USGA/R&A Rules Changes for 2016

GolfSpy Barbajo

Some common sense changes, don't you think?  And what of the Anchoring ban?

Thoughts????

RULE CHANGES FOR 2016 FROM USGA AND R&A
And it's not just about anchoring.

Words: The Brigadier    Photography: Getty Images   

9437.jpg

The USGA and R&A have announced four changes to the Rules of Golf, including the much-anticipated ban on the anchored stroke. This is what they have come up with.

Withdrawal of Rule on Ball Moving After Address (Rule 18-2b):

Rule 18-2b (Ball at Rest Moved by Player, Partner, Caddie or Equipment) has been withdrawn.

This means that if a ball at rest moves after the player addresses it, the player is no longer automatically deemed to have caused the ball to move. A one-stroke penalty under Rule 18-2 will be applied only when the facts show that the player has caused the ball to move.

We think this is fair and necessary change, which was driven by Justin Rose being penalized under this rule in 2014. The penalty was later revoked when it was found that Rose was not at fault, but this is still a necessary piece of housekeeping, which is long overdue.

Limited Exception to Disqualification Penalty for Submission of Incorrect Score Card (Rule 6-6d):

A limited new exception has been introduced to Rule 6-6d (Wrong Score for Hole). A player is not disqualified for returning a lower score for a hole than actually taken, when the incorrect score is a result of failing to include penalty strokes that the player did not know were incurred before returning the score card.

Instead, the player incurs the penalty under the Rule that was breached and must add an additional penalty of two strokes for the scorecard error. In all other cases in which a player returns a score for any hole lower than actually taken, the penalty will continue to be disqualification.

A two-stroke penalty will be given if a player fails to sign for the correct score on a hole where a penalty was assessed without the player's knowledge, which again seems a fair and sensible update.

Modification of Penalty for a Single Impermissible Use of Artificial Devices or Equipment (Rule 14-3):

The penalty for a player's first breach during the round of Rule 14-3 (Artificial Devices, Unusual Equipment and Abnormal Use of Equipment) has been reduced from disqualification to loss of hole in match play or two strokes in stroke play. The penalty for any subsequent breach of Rule 14-3 will continue to be disqualification.

This rule weakens the penalty for use of gadgets like rangefinders or other distance measuring devices, particularly on first offense. We don't quite get this one, but it may be more targeted at the Amateur game rather than the professional game would be our take on it.

Prohibition on Anchoring the Club While Making a Stroke (Rule 14-1 B):

As announced in May 2013, new Rule 14-1b (Anchoring the Club) prohibits anchoring the club during the stroke, either “directly” or by use of an “anchor point.”

The penalty is loss of hole in match play or two strokes in stroke play. The ban on anchored putting comes into effect on January 1st, 2016.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Really like the changes, like you said common sense, except for anchoring. I found anchoring was much more difficult for me to use than a conventional putter. It was great 15 feet and in, but on a 30 footer I would hit it 15 feet short or 15 feet long and then drain the 15 footer haha! Putting is so hard, too many variables IMO to making a putt. Let them anchor!

Now if the USGA would only adopt the "Leaf Rule" with no strokes or penalties, I'd be a much happier Fall golfer!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

These make sense to me. Is arm-lock considered anchoring or not? To me it seems like it should be.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I like the rule changes.  

For the record I have always been against anchoring the putter.  It should have been banned many years ago.  I can understand its use for amateurs in local club events.

These make sense to me. Is arm-lock considered anchoring or not? To me it seems like it should be.

I am assuming that you mean like Matt Kucher uses.  That is legal under the Rule since the putter is being swung by the arms and not anchored to the body.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am assuming that you mean like Matt Kucher uses. That is legal under the Rule since the putter is being swung by the arms and not anchored to the body.

Correct. I still think it provides an advantage in a case where nerves are a factor which is why I'm not a fan of it and would prefer it to be included in the ban.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I never had any issues with the anchored stroke even on the pro level. The other changes are common sense changes that should have been done years ago

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I just don't understand what the big deal about anchoring is/was. Some guys were doing it, most weren't. Did those who didn't do it think it was a hugely unfair advantage?

If so, why didn't more of them start doing it? Every golfer is looking for an edge to get lower scores. If the anchor folks were getting theirs that way, then let the other advance their own game or try something to catch up.

It doesn't really matter to me whether they changed the rule or not. I'm not all that good at any phase of the game anyway.

I just don't see what all the fuss was about.

I think the changes are excellent and good for the game.  As has been stated by a few already, I never got the anchoring ban.  If it was such an advantage Adam Scott would have several more majors under his belt by now.  As would several other pros who use that method.

I have personally had serious go at anchoring and there is just as much technique and talent required to putt well using the anchored method/s.  I also believe that if it was such an advantage the pros being pros would all be taking advantage.  To turn around and ban it after 30 odd years of allowing it seems crazy and has a bit of a funny smell to it.  Just my opinion, I putt conventionally these days so I'm not affected by the ban.

I will celebrate though when they change the rule and allow spike marks to be repaired on the green.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Use of distance measuring devices is permissible in all levels of golf unless specified in the rules of competition. So pro or amateur you need to read the rules you are playing under (be it the club rules or the event your in).

Guess if you infringe those rules now you won't get DSQ but will get a penalty in first instance. Assume that's the same if you use Slope feature in a comp, thats never been permissible.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I'm with the majority here on all accounts.  It seems to me that there are more issues to address still including a couple of no brainers, spike marks on the green, and OB or lost ball played under the lateral hazard rule and a more difficult one - unfilled or improperly filled divots in the fairway (not saying anything should be done but some remedy should be considered.)

The Anchoring Ban is just stupid but we've beat it to death at this point.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Are there any boxing fans here?    If so, you know that the number of alphabet soup sanctioning bodies awarding "world" championship belts is absurd.  HBO and Showtime rarely even mention these phony organizations anymore.

We don't want that extreme in golf, of course.  However, a rival sanctioning body taking a little momentum might be just what the USGA / R&A tandem need to get their collective act together.

Are there any boxing fans here?    If so, you know that the number of alphabet soup sanctioning bodies awarding "world" championship belts is absurd.  HBO and Showtime rarely even mention these phony organizations anymore.

We don't want that extreme in golf, of course.  However, a rival sanctioning body taking a little momentum might be just what the USGA / R&A tandem need to get their collective act together.

Ahhh I love a bit of controversy.  Nifty I think we should start that rival sanctioning body and start making some rule adjustments starting with:

"any ball fairly struck with a conforming club off the first tee that lands anywhere but on the fairway entitles the player to an automatic mulligan and the first stroke does not count".  "Further to this if the player has not had time to warm up prior to the round, the same rule shall apply to the 2nd shot on a par 4 if it fails to finish on the green and the second and third shot if the first hole is a par 5.  If the first hole is a par 3 and the ball finishes in a green side bunker it may be lifted and dropped without penalty on the fairway."

Just sayin'.

My Bag

Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.

Those were meant to be humorous examples, miz, and I understand what you're saying.  Still, I think it would be fun to subject the manufacturers to two completely different sets of standards as pertaining to equipment. 

I'd like to see a 250cc volume limit on clubheads. Modern drivers look like cartoon clubs.

I'd like to see shredder box grooves approved.

I'd like to return to the option of a 1.62" ball. (younger players won't remember that).

I'd like to make filling fifteen-slot cart bags legal. (If all bag pockets are accessible from the front, than fifteen clubs may be used.)

But there's more to it than equipment.  The business of going all the way back to the tee for stroke and distance penalties on a crowded golf course almost mandates the lateral hazard rule be imposed instead; some afternoon league rules actually put that local rule into place.

Most importantly of all, however, the diameter of the holes on putting greens should be the diameter of fifty-five gallon drums.  If you get into sight of the hole in two blows from over four hundred yards, most of the job should be considered done!

I'm with the majority here on all accounts.  It seems to me that there are more issues to address still including a couple of no brainers, spike marks on the green, and OB or lost ball played under the lateral hazard rule and a more difficult one - unfilled or improperly filled divots in the fairway (not saying anything should be done but some remedy should be considered.)

I agree that these issues should be considered for rule changes.  To me, these two issues are the same problem.  I have never understood how anyone can say that the playing field must be level for competition, and say "play the ball as it lies" in the same breath.  How is it level when I have to play a course that has divots in the fairways and spike marks on the greens in the afternoon that weren't there in the morning for my competitors?  Explain that one to me please!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Love your new avatar Kenny!  I'm jealous and want one, but only another 2500 posts to go I'm guessing.

My Bag

Divots for sure, and spike marks, if you want to get ugly just drag your feet all over the green around the hole, then no one will have a nice green to play on, I think these types of rules have no place in the Saturday morning play, or even club, or course championships of any kind, we are not pros and we do not hVe prestinely courses that have been set up and not played for 2 mo tha prior to us playing them, we need to use our own Rules and screw the usga for ametuer play

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

@ Kor - Blasphemy, I say Blasphemy!  You bifuractor you!  I don't get what the issue is with all that stuff either.  For crying out loud many are watching and enjoying a World Series in which the two teams were constructed to play under two very different sets of rules.  In fact I would suggest that the DH in baseball has a far greater impact on the game than any of the changes that we are suggesting and certainly than the anchor ban. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Love your new avatar Kenny!  I'm jealous and want one, but only another 2500 posts to go I'm guessing.

Thanks mizzy.  You can do your own.  There may be other programs to do it in, but mine was done in Photoshop.  Designing it is easy; doing it or finding someone to do it is hard.

Divots for sure, and spike marks, if you want to get ugly just drag your feet all over the green around the hole, then no one will have a nice green to play on, I think these types of rules have no place in the Saturday morning play, or even club, or course championships of any kind, we are not pros and we do not hVe prestinely courses that have been set up and not played for 2 mo tha prior to us playing them, we need to use our own Rules and screw the usga for ametuer play

I go along with screw the USGA and I am a member. the only reason I am a member is so I can raise Hell at them. A lot of senior men's leagues down here have already voted to disregard the anchoring ban in club comps. It makes sense because a lot of these guys are old retirees and have back problems and it makes good common sense for the clubs because the backbone of revenue is the retirees in this area. A lot of them had stated that if the rule was in effect that they would give up the game. I have also stated on here and another blog that probably 90% of all who play the game play their "own" rules in their regular respective groups and could give two hoots about the USGA, The R&A or the PGA for that matter. Don't think the USGA for one minute is all about "betterment of the game" they are all about betterment of their pocketbook and that is the bottom line. Lately they have been sending me mail wanting me to "Upgrade" my membership for of course more money. I will probably not renew my membership after this year because raising hell at them has done no good at all I guess they are going to do what they please

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

The rules for the pros are fen, what if don't understand is why so many "clubs" and such adopt these rules for their play, I like the idea of local rules or course rules that make the game better for us, that includes club tourneys. divots, long putters, stroke and distance, spike marks,and many others should be local rules, sorry but you can't fix the spike mark in your way, sorry that the 80 year old guy out playing with his family for his last round of golf in his life dragged his feet and caused the mark in your line, something the pros never have to deal with. Nothing wrong with the old guy out there, I think it's awesome when that happens, but I shouldn't have to putt through he dragged his feet

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Got a 38 inch putter and 36 inch waist. Some days my shirt touches the top of putter while putting. So am I anchoring? Especially from a view of 20 feet away.

No, but it is a two-stroke penalty to use a belly putter if you don't have a belly.  :)

I am all for a little competition with the USGA.  I say we start the American Amateur Golf Association (AAGA).  We are for the good of the game.  A few rules changes: OB played as a lateral hazard, no anchor ban, laser or gps legal with wind and elevation (honestly if we are that good we should be pros).  I think we could get this to catch on. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

No, but it is a two-stroke penalty to use a belly putter if you don't have a belly. :)

I think I got enough belly for both of us.

I do believe that after this anchor rule takes affect there is going to be more squabbling between golfing bros than any other rule in the book, especially with guys who will stick with their long putter but will alter their technique to conform. For me putt however you wish just don't make them.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

Archived