TESTERS WANTED! ×

Don't be one of "them"

Sluggo42

Played a scramble Monday, and the group behind us was 4 young men, mid to late twenties, and very good players.

The course was slow and they rolled in on most every hole before we. Teed off.

Our youngest player was 56, and then up to 77.

They enjoyed telling us how they were burying everything, and eagling all the 5's. At first we were impressed, and perhaps a touch jealous of their youth. Although I wonder how far I could hit it with today's equipment 40 years ago. But I digress.

So anyways it soon became a joke about wondering how they were able to fit their heads inside the carts between shots.

The sad part was when they laughed and ridiculed "Grampa", aged 77, for hitting a hybrid on a 140 yard par 3.

Totally disrespectful

Buuuut, Grampa did hit the green. So, Grampa challenged to loudest of the kids to a $5 bet that he would be closer to the pin.

Well blabber mouth had no option after opening his pie hole, so he accepted the bet. Gramps shot measured 16'-8".

So we all stood by to watch the young whippersnapper beat his shot. So the kid tenses up and duck hooks it, completely missing the green. We all laughed our asses off and rolled on. A few holes later on a 200 yard par 3, the kid challenges Grampa again to get his $5 back. This bet was to merely hit the green.

We "advised" Grampa that this shot was going to be in the kids favor, but Grampa said nahhh, the kid was already rattled.

So Grampa hit his driver, hit it well too, but ended up short by a few yards. The kids all laughed and called him easy money.

I was a bit perturbed by this point and told them they should have a little respect, and should be ashamed for trying to hustle a 77 year old. They responded by saying, "well he started it"!, just like some kindergarteners... Good grief...

So anyways, we finished the hole, and then gathered around to watch the kid win his $5 back from Grampa. So he swings away, but blocks it right, into the sand trap. He yelled a few cuss words, and we all burst into laughter again.

So we got to the last hole and he challenged gramps one mor time, that he could out drive him with his 3- iron.

Our youngest player at 56 then hit his drive of the day, and then I did too, both over 270. So Grampa said, well I don't think I'll even hit a ball, those two look good enough. So the kid incredulously says, " so you're not gunna give me a chance to win my money back? And Grampa says... Uhhhh, nope.

Hahaha

Moral of this story:

Have a little respect for your elders, and get over yourself.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Great story Sluggo.........be respectful towards your elders.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Hats off to "Grampa"!  I'll have to remember this next time I play in a scramble.

I suppose the kids finished at 19 under par?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well played sir! as I re-learned from the movie Kingsmen "Manners Maketh the Man"

I played our charity tourney this last summer and there was a 4some of young guys, all early 20s. Well, one of them was leading the long drive contest, and mine was the last group. My buddy who 5-5, has a beautiful swing and awesome leverage, absolutely tatooed his drive and took the lead by about 1 yard. 

At the awards luncheon, one of the young guys  not the kid he beat) was incredulous, questioning his ability because the previous leader "was a baseball player.... 6-3.... jacked his drive."

Oh, these young kids these days

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I'm going to be that the kids didn't reach -10 -

What was their score?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Funny as heck--- Moral of the story--- Don't mess with the old guys and have respect for your elders

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

That's a good story. Unfortunately the issue with a lack of respect stretches far beyond golf.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Hats off to "Grampa"! I'll have to remember this next time I play in a scramble.

I suppose the kids finished at 19 under par?

Nope, 20...

But they were also playing from the whites, which should have been cheating anyways... But, whatever. We were proud of our honest -10

I haven't commented in this thread because s**t like that really pisses me off! Personally, I would have told them to keep their @#$%^&* money and get the hell away from me! I probably would have ended up in a fight. Nothing pisses me off more than rude, disrespectful little punks... especially on a golf course!

Like jbil8802 said.... it goes far beyond golf. 

Nope, 20...

But they were also playing from the whites, which should have been cheating anyways... But, whatever. We were proud of our honest -10

Which is why I don't play in scrambles anymore unless it's for a charity that I would support anyway. Well done on -10.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Good for Gramps and entirely disrespectful. I played a lot of golf growing up with guys that were 40 or 50 years older than me that could just flat out play. Heck my grandpop just turned 88 and with the right handicap and tee adjustment he would still give me a run for my money. I also learned long ago that length alone does not make someone a good golfer and lost my lunch money more than a few times as a kid through my own arrogance of how I "good" I thought I was at the game.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I think disrespect because of age, gender, race, size and so on is all ridiculous. Not to make it political, but being a younger guy it is always frustrating when people who are older than me treat me like a child.

I've always looked at all ages of people the same way I look at someone my own age. I try to give everyone their respect and not judge. It's just common courtesy. I work with multiple people who are 3 times my age and I consider them great friends. And all ages in between. Friends. The age gap doesn't matter. And those people reciprocate that respect right back to me.

I just can't understand why someone would treat people any other way.

Good for grandpa!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I think disrespect because of age, gender, race, size and so on is all ridiculous. Not to make it political, but being a younger guy it is always frustrating when people who are older than me treat me like a child.

I thought it was just an unwritten rule not to make fun of people out on the course. Why is it hard for people to just worry about their ownself.

I just let people like that play through. No need to converse or ruin your round with people like that. I've had older people be just as condescending that I'm using an 8 when they use a 6 iron so it's definitely not a younth phenomenon.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Great story and outcome Sluggo.  I have to admit I enjoy sticking it to some of the young tyros of our club out on the course, even the occasional sideways glance when we get to our balls after a particularly good drive and I'm past them.  I figure enjoy it while I can :)

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

I just tell the young guys:  "When you get to be my age, you'll hit it just as far as I do."

Except drivers will have turbo's by then, and the average drive of a 60 year old male will be about 320

I'm glad I've never run into any jerk offs like that when I've played.

My Grandfather taught me the game on his farm. And he made sure I respects the game before I was even allowed to go to a course. He's 94, still plays 4-5 times a week, has 8 holes-in-ones, 6 since he turned 80.

I hope I'm playing as good as Grandpa when I get up there, if I even make it to that age.

That's what I've always loved about golf. Any player can beat someone half their age on any day. Try doing that in any other sport.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Except drivers will have turbo's by then, and the average drive of a 60 year old male will be about 320

You really do know how to make me feel better, don't you?   :(

Archived