Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Post your current handicap

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I had a two part plan (2 1/2) to get my game back in the right direction this year. The first part was easy just play more. I've been playing twice a week, with sometimes getting that third round or just 9 holes in.

The "B: part of this was to also track stats to see if there was a visible weakness. So far that's shown me I need to hit more greens, only 46% on the year. Putting is ok, but not great (31), driver is fine, and short game is the strongest part and a lifesaver. I've even tracked where my bad shots are in recent rounds, but that is one of two things, and neither causes me to worry. It's either been stuff without a pattern in a round, say a bad chip or two, then a half topped 3W, then a blocked 8i. Other days it's just been like one day I hooked my driver a bunch, but that problem didn't carry over into the next round, so it's nothing to worry about, it was one poor round with the driver, it happens.

The other part was to actually take lessons. I asked my course pro to give me more consistent lessons, as I'd taken a few from him over the years. He said once the college workers got there in May he would be able, well May came and went, and we got almost to the end of June before I looked for another pro. I don't want to spend $100+ per lesson, and I was already a 5 or 6 to start the year so I didn't want to rebuild the whole swing.  So I found a more affordable pro at a local driving range to work some things out. 

I've only taken two lessons, probably get at least a third before end of season, and go from there. In the first lesson he watched me hit balls, then we went to the high speed camera. After putting me on the camera, we identified a few things right away. I was bringing the club back way inside, my backswing was far too long with irons, and my left arm needed to be over my chest more at address. The left arm squared up my upper body so it wasn't pointed to the left of the target, and he gave me some drills to work on at home to my take away back on plane. Shortening up the swing was easy enough fix on my own. I think the swing getting too long is a common issue for lots of golfers. He also bent my 50* to 50* as it was 52 and I had no idea.

He also noticed something else, and I attached the pic. I don't know who the pro is in blue, but he is extended far better than I am in the shot. So the next lesson we worked on extension through the ball and getting my body finishing at my target. We developed a good feel and he gave me a few more drills. FWIW Me & My Golf just posted a great video to YouTube with Nick Faldo on this same topic, getting your body to face the target. He also taught me a pitch shot (Stricker style for the 30-60 yard range), but I'm still getting comfortable with it. I either pull it or the ball releases more than I want. I've had a couple 74s and some of my best GIR days of the year since, so I'm going to keep working and go for more lessons if I need a tune up. 

For the winter I need to practice putting a lot, I have a BirdieBall mat in the basement, find some way to play a little bit, and maybe/hopefully go for at least an iron fitting once the season gets into full swing.

Screenshot_20210713-202425.jpg

Great overview DoP!.  Thanks for taking the time to dive into the details of your work.  

I took my first lesson last week with my club pro, and she has a similar approach that yours has it sounds... identify the improvements within "your" swing opposed to building a swing that matches a computer model.  ( I also took a swing analysis at the local GolfTec a few months ago, and that was my takeaway... so I decided to seek a teaching pro... and conveniently, at my home course.  

The first lesson focused on my setup.  I was way too upright in my stance/setup... little or no knee bend, or at the hips... weight on my heels... causing me to do all kinds of odd things to hit the ball... (first move on the downswing over the top, outside in path, blocks and pulls depending on what I do with my hands at the bottom... not to mention swaying off the ball on the backswing.... classic amateur swing flaws).  She put me in a better position and I immediately started flushing my irons (after having to consciously back up a fair amount because by bending over, of course the ball was too close to me).  It is easy to go back to the familiar habits, so my Pro gave me some good drills and techniques to use.  I looked a little silly on the course going through my step by step setup process to make sure I was getting myself in the correct feeling, but it is starting to be more natural.  Once I make this "the norm" I will go back for the next lesson.

It is funny that when one part of the game suffers... our games tend to make up for it in other areas... and then visa versa.  My scores were definitely laden with saves based on my previous ball striking and approach shot woes... After my lesson, I saw some improvement in my approach shots... more GIR's for example... but evidently I left my chipping and putting in the car, because I didn't score better... just different to result in a similar score. 

Ahh Golf.  ~Tim.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

20 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

Great overview DoP!.  Thanks for taking the time to dive into the details of your work.  

I took my first lesson last week with my club pro, and she has a similar approach that yours has it sounds... identify the improvements within "your" swing opposed to building a swing that matches a computer model.  ( I also took a swing analysis at the local GolfTec a few months ago, and that was my takeaway... so I decided to seek a teaching pro... and conveniently, at my home course.  

The first lesson focused on my setup.  I was way too upright in my stance/setup... little or no knee bend, or at the hips... weight on my heels... causing me to do all kinds of odd things to hit the ball... (first move on the downswing over the top, outside in path, blocks and pulls depending on what I do with my hands at the bottom... not to mention swaying off the ball on the backswing.... classic amateur swing flaws).  She put me in a better position and I immediately started flushing my irons (after having to consciously back up a fair amount because by bending over, of course the ball was too close to me).  It is easy to go back to the familiar habits, so my Pro gave me some good drills and techniques to use.  I looked a little silly on the course going through my step by step setup process to make sure I was getting myself in the correct feeling, but it is starting to be more natural.  Once I make this "the norm" I will go back for the next lesson.

It is funny that when one part of the game suffers... our games tend to make up for it in other areas... and then visa versa.  My scores were definitely laden with saves based on my previous ball striking and approach shot woes... After my lesson, I saw some improvement in my approach shots... more GIR's for example... but evidently I left my chipping and putting in the car, because I didn't score better... just different to result in a similar score. 

Ahh Golf.  ~Tim.

Isn't that the truth??

Good you found a pro to work with too. They can diagnose things so quickly, it's totally worth the money. I was hesitant to go to a pro for years because when I was a teen I had a few bad lessons with a pro my dad set me up with. Guy gave me some great short game tips, stuff I still use to this day, but when we went on the range he just started changing my swing without even watching me hit a shot. 

That's why I've stayed away from GolfTec and similar places. They just want you to get into their system out optimize your swing based on PGA data. Nah, I'll pass on the cookie cutter lessons. Our swings have too many compensations in them to just try and make them a tour level swing.

I feel like the lessons moved me to the next mini plateau getting closer to par. I think the season in Ohio may end before I hit that next plateau, but maybe I touch it once or twice. Spend the off season working on health/flexibility and whatever indoor practice I can do.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

3 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Our swings have too many compensations in them to just try and make them a tour level swing.

Thanks for bursting my bubble on being a mid-50's rookie on the PGA tour... haha.   

Looking for my next mini plateau... breaking 80 regularly.  One nice thing about living in Houston... the winter months are better for golf than the summer months, but your comments on health/flexibility and practice are spot on.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

3 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

Thanks for bursting my bubble on being a mid-50's rookie on the PGA tour... haha.   

Looking for my next mini plateau... breaking 80 regularly.  One nice thing about living in Houston... the winter months are better for golf than the summer months, but your comments on health/flexibility and practice are spot on.

At least you'll have winter months, I'll be lucky for breaks in the weather to get 9 holes here or there from mid-Dec through March. Or simulators.

Take Dead Aim

Down to 26 from 30 although I have until the end of November to get it down further

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

7 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

🤣  I thought you looked familiar!!!  🤣

104842728_KennyB.jpeg.0923db1beb3376697f4d5f9451e57a04.jpeg

That's crazy!!! Though you have the better position post-impact. That's exactly what I'm working on.

Take Dead Aim

12 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

That's crazy!!! Though you have the better position post-impact. That's exactly what I'm working on.

I couldn't resist; orange shirt, khaki shorts and Srixon hat.  When I saw that, it looked so familiar!!

I'm working on ALL of it!!!!!  I need more speed!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 1 month later...

I just started back with golf earlier this year after not touching a club for about 12 years. I never had a handicap before but I felt like I might have been a 10 - 12 at my best. Not sure.  But now I'm more a stickler for the rules and counting everything.  I established with a 22 handicap in march and am now just under 18. I just felt like I've finally settled into the swing I want a few weeks ago (right after coming back from a herniated disk in my back) and am going to see how low I can get my handicap before next summer. I'm shooting for a single digit to hopefully near scratch, though that is almost statistically impossible but I'm good at making improvements and teaching myself. 

I had an English Golf Union HC about 12 years ago of 18 then stopped playing (the odd game here and there) but I started up again this April and have managed to get it down to a respectable 15. 

I'm hoping to get it down a bit more this year then push on next year as I'd love to be around 10. My dad, at his best was off 9.2 so that's my target.  

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

I dropped my unofficial handicap to 5.0 to finish the year.  I don't belong to a country club, play in any events, etc. so never got an official handicap.  I just keep an Excel spreadsheet with my scores for the year.  

Last year was the first year I tracked all of my scores and I finished at 6.4 so I'm definitely trending in the right direction.  

My goal is to be a 4.0 (or lower) for my President's Cup trip in September. 

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

• 5 months later...

Currently holding a 7.5 index but had it down to 5.8 at my best. Lessons and a club fitting work wonders it seems. Go figure..lol.

First round played today for the year and a rough 85 to show for it. To be fair the snow just left and a 6 month lay off is tough to recover from quickly.. ah well, i choose to live here i guess. Lol

I am brand agnostic. If it is in my bag it is because it works for me...

I would, but it is too depressing......

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

Still at 8.0 but it could get ugly before it gets better if my first round of the year is a predictor for future performance. 😂

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User