PlaidJacket

Post your current handicap

Our Sponsors

4.3 as of 11/1. Good thing about being in SoCal is that we don't have an offseason!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Same here in Georgia however you folks got it really good!  I've been out to San Diego a couple of times and it was beautiful.   Awesome weather in your neck of the woods. :D  

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 Hybrid
Callaway  Rogue X Irons 5 - AW 
Cleveland RTX-4 50 & 56 / RTX-3 60
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Same here in Georgia however you folks got it really good!  I've been out to San Diego a couple of times and it was beautiful.   Awesome weather in your neck of the woods. :D  

We had a nice 70 degree day this past Saturday, I remarked to a buddy of mine, it reminded me of San Diego weather.  Tough to beat it's weather, possibly the best in the country.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Shaft

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5w 18* Ventus Black 

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7,9 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T300 KBS TGI 80 5 iron thorugh 46 W2

:vokey-small: SM7 50.08, 54.08 and 58.14 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

In looking back at my last 20 scores, I know for sure that short game work will be the answer to scoring in the 70s more often than the 80s. My average score is 82.2 and seeing that irks me because how many strokes are in that average are bladed chips, chips that were "duffed", ones that still left me with 10'+, etc. Three fewer strokes per round and I'm averaging 79... That's my goal for next year. I want my GHIN to move below 5 next year, and short game work will be the answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

In looking back at my last 20 scores, I know for sure that short game work will be the answer to scoring in the 70s more often than the 80s. My average score is 82.2 and seeing that irks me because how many strokes are in that average are bladed chips, chips that were "duffed", ones that still left me with 10'+, etc. Three fewer strokes per round and I'm averaging 79... That's my goal for next year. I want my GHIN to move below 5 next year, and short game work will be the answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, I know it's obvious and a cliche and all, but short game is where it's at.   I played with our Head Pro on Friday and he's scratch to +1  and sure he nearly drove the green on one 330 yard par 4, but the way he got up and down for par when he missed the green, was something to see.    he was in a greenside bunker in two on a par 5 with a short sided pin.   He didnt' think about it for more than 15 seconds, went in and splashed it out to kick in range (less than a foot)  

I thought I had a decent wedge game, but watching him up close showed me just how much more room I have for improvement, and that's a good thing, because that just means more strokes off the 17 index!!

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Shaft

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5w 18* Ventus Black 

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7,9 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T300 KBS TGI 80 5 iron thorugh 46 W2

:vokey-small: SM7 50.08, 54.08 and 58.14 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

It's time to resurrect this thread since most GHIN scores should be able to be posted again.  The Washington State Golf Association opened for posting on March 1.  It's been a tough two weeks for me with cold, wet, windy weather and my index jumped to 9.0.  I'm hoping the warmer weather will make this old body work better by the end of the month!!

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've been hanging around 14 for so long I think it's a permanent number for me. I stopped using GHIN when my tournament days were over. I used US Handicap for a couple of seasons and dropped it last month.

I've downloaded a simple app called "Golf Handicap Tracker" for posting scores and keeping a general idea what my cap is.

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 Hybrid
Callaway  Rogue X Irons 5 - AW 
Cleveland RTX-4 50 & 56 / RTX-3 60
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter

My GHIN is still at 6.3. I've been playing the past few months in a range of 6-10 mostly. I haven't been turning in scores much if at all. I'm pretty much done with worrying about or keeping a handicap. I'm through playing any handicap tournaments for the most part. If it weren't for the Club Championship I'd drop it all together. And this year may be my last.

• Like 1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

My GHIN is still at 6.3. I've been playing the past few months in a range of 6-10 mostly. I haven't been turning in scores much if at all. I'm pretty much done with worrying about or keeping a handicap. I'm through playing any handicap tournaments for the most part. If it weren't for the Club Championship I'd drop it all together. And this year may be my last.

The dues for GHIN at my club include membership in our Men's and Ladies Clubs.  To play in our local weekly events we have to have a validated handicap. Yes, my wife and I could do it by other means, but I find it easy to post scores on the GHIN computer at the club, and my wife and I use it to keep track of our progress throughout the year.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm not a big fan of the hc system either. I enter all of the numbers for each course I play, then enter my scores... but I think it's a misleading number.

I also keep a stat spreadsheet that I built, and I feel that my average score to par is a more realistic indicator of how I'm playing.

Seen too many people sandbag so they could dominate tournament or league play, and others "vanity cap" and only play when conditions are perfect, etc.

I still think that if I play with someone else, I shoot 80, and they shoot 72, they beat me. It's just that simple.

• Like 2

Track my handicap online and ended last season around a 16.9, though I don't get out nearly as much as I did pre-kids, but the goal is to get down to single digits at some point...lots of chipping and putting practice!

• Like 2

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: C130S

Driver: :ping-small: G410 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: :ping-small: G410 15*  w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Hybrids: :ping-small: G410 22*  w/ Tensei Blue

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX919 HMP 5-AW Forged w/ Modus 120s

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 55*/60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spyder X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5

I need to post some scores. Realizing I've been avoiding it because I'll probably drop deeper into (+) status and with handicapped MGA events starting soon, the idea of giving shots to the fellas at 0.0 this early in the season makes me nauseous. Thanks for keeping me honest guys.

:ping-small:___________G400 LST 9* - Ping Tour 65 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:adams-small:_Super Proto DHY 21* - Matrix Ozik Altus hX3 S
:adams-small: _Idea MB2 4-PW - Matrix Program 130 6.5
:cleveland-small:_________RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
Bettinardi.png.e7ca0ee7ba785611a4a144e16b6b93ab.png___SS38 Armlock
k_sig.jpg.00b599e7e823c61015277de38ca16982.jpg___'18 4-piece
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I do mine through the grint app. While it is official, I don't use a offseason so I enter scores all year long to see trends. Right now it is is 5.9

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Snow and freezing temps

• Like 2

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

Actually MD I think your goal is very obtainable. Even easy. I've always said (this is not necessarily original thinking) that a higher handicapper can drop 8-10 hcp. points in a hurry with practice and playing. Perhaps a few lessons to make sure your swing fundamentals are working in your favor.  But... It's when you decide to go below 10 hcp. where things start getting much harder. Go below 5 hcp. and even harder still. You'll see. This is also predicated on you having decent equipment that fits you reasonably well. Perhaps you can have it checked and adjusted if necessary. Good course management will help too. Play smart.

Yes... I think you will get to a 10 hcp. Maybe lower?

MD - listen to what PlaidJacket has to say as I also agree 100% with him on this and pretty much all that he posts. He is like my twin brother (;-)

There is no reason in the world you could not drop 5-6 strokes provided that you do the following in no particular order

1. Take lessons from a pro you like. He has to fit your style of instruction and does not overload you with too much. Slow and steady wins the race.

2. Get fitted for the correct equipment for your swing. Go to demo days etc or treat yourself to a full fitting - you deserve it right?

3. Practice, practice, practice. BUT practice with a purpose. Do not just hit driver. I have seen best results from 100 yards in practice so your approach wedge club and lower to putter.

4. Learn to love the bunker, not fear it. I personally spend 10-15 minutes every time at the range in the bunker practicing buried lies, etc. We all know the player who cannot get out of the bunker in 3 shots of skulls it out into the lake costing 3-4 strokes. Enough said.

5. Chipping: practice with a vengeance. Does not cost too much in time or energy.

6. Putting: same as 5.

7. see item 2 - get fitted. My brother won a set of clubs at a silent auction which were pro blade type clubs as a 16 handicap. He has been using them for 3 years and losing all sorts of distance and forgiveness because he is not that good for the clubs. To his credit he knows it and will be getting fitted soon for irons more suited to his game. All this to say equipment matched to you really does make a difference. I know there are many on this forum who will disagree with me and buy off the rack without fitting but I do not think they know how much they are missing because they have the wrong equipment.

OK done preaching  :D

• Like 4

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

I'm not a big fan of the hc system either. I enter all of the numbers for each course I play, then enter my scores... but I think it's a misleading number.

I also keep a stat spreadsheet that I built, and I feel that my average score to par is a more realistic indicator of how I'm playing.

Seen too many people sandbag so they could dominate tournament or league play, and others "vanity cap" and only play when conditions are perfect, etc.

I still think that if I play with someone else, I shoot 80, and they shoot 72, they beat me. It's just that simple.

Totally agree with all that!!

Plus I don't play competitively, only a few charity outings. I'm more interested in how I'm doing compared to myself on prior days and to the course itself; ie. vs Par - am I generally +1 over = good for me, or am I doing something stoopit on more holes today = not so good....

WITB of an "aspiring" 😉 play-ah ...

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*; Tensei CK Blue)
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)

Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR)
Tour Edge HL4 #4 iron-wood (UST Mamiya)
Callaway Big Bertha CF19 6i (Recoil ZTR) / Apex CF16 7i-PW (Recoil ES 760)
Hogan Equalizer 50/54/58 black (Recoil ES 760 black SmacWrap)
Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)

...all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Totally agree with all that!!

Plus I don't play competitively, only a few charity outings. I'm more interested in how I'm doing compared to myself on prior days and to the course itself; ie. vs Par - am I generally +1 over = good for me, or am I doing something stoopit on more holes today = not so good....

Amen to that.  Some of the handicap events at my club are just impossible unless you have an index above 8.  I played a scramble of partners with myself and another player off of scratch.  We were -6 as a team and lost 6&5 to a team we were giving 13 shots to.  We essentially had to birdie just about every hole to even have a shot.

• Like 2

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

Blown out to 6.8 from a low of 4.0. If it keeps going like this I'll have change my name to Ron Burgundy. I really don't want to hit my anchor point.

• Like 1

:ping-small:  G400 SFT with Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC FliHi 4 Iron - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges 50,54,58
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Not joining any men's clubs this year & forgoing ghin also. So wont be entering handicaps no more

I need to post some scores. Realizing I've been avoiding it because I'll probably drop deeper into (+) status and with handicapped MGA events starting soon, the idea of giving shots to the fellas at 0.0 this early in the season makes me nauseous. Thanks for keeping me honest guys.

Step up... play hard!  "You can dooo it."

• Like 1