Disabled Golfer Sues Private Club for Discrimination

Our Sponsors

While I don't share HIS disability, I DO have a severe enough hearing loss to be considered legally "disabled" under the ADA.  FWIW, I think most of us that have some form of disability realize our own limitations, and what accommodations are reasonable.

Unfortunately, there are some that think the legal system can "fix" the reality they have to live with.

As this is a private club, I feel strongly the decision should be up to them.

If I had to use the legal system to FORCE a business to afford me service, WHY would I want to do business with them at all?

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

Everyone seems to be missing the point.  Yes, it's a private club but it holds public functions.  Think of this:  The Club sponsors a golf scramble for a local hospital charity and it is open to the public; anyone is eligible to play in the event.  He played there before his disability, but now he can't play in it because the Club doesn't accommodate his disability.  Should they?  But at what expense?

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

He's a partially disabled activist. If my lawn mower is disabled it doesn't work. At all. My lawn mower may be partially disabled because the power drive feature doesn't work. But it still cuts the grass. Look, I'm all for helping someone who needs accommodation or assistance in certain situations. But please... if I'm going to make special accommodation for you so you can drive your scooter right up next to the edge of the green don't feel like you are being down wrong by insisting that's not good enough by suing me because I won't let you drive your scooter/golf cart across the greens. How about showing some respect and accommodation for the rest of us? Hmmm?

• Like 1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Everyone seems to be missing the point.  Yes, it's a private club but it holds public functions.  Think of this:  The Club sponsors a golf scramble for a local hospital charity and it is open to the public; anyone is eligible to play in the event.  He played there before his disability, but now he can't play in it because the Club doesn't accommodate his disability.  Should they?  But at what expense?

Most clubs that hold outings still have in their contracts that the participants in the outing must abide by club rules.  Having an outing for non-members does not get them to the arena of a public facility since the group invited is still not considered the general public.  I have been in one of these battles before (not golf related, buy analogous nonetheless) and that was the grounds we proceeded on and have won twice.

• Like 1

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

So we are assuming the course is right and the guy is damaging the greens?

Has that fact been establishe? I've visted a lot of people convicted of lots of different crimes. I Only remember one saying that he actually did what he was accused of. I'm guessing others probably did too. :)

I'm not buying that he was driving on greens until it's proven that he did. Just as plausible is the possibility that the club made certain concessions and then some members complained and now they are trying to back track.

My club made it clear to my family that they would not be able to make changes to the pool when we joined. No problem, they were open and honest up front. They do allow us to bring an aid for Penny without the aid paying a guest fee. We reached a reasonable agreement. Why are we assuming that it's the guy who is being unreasonable and not the club or its members?

Whoever said it earlier is right, without all the facts you can't know. So I'm moving on to something else.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

So we are assuming the course is right and the guy is damaging the greens?

Has that fact been establishe? I've visted a lot of people convicted of lots of different crimes. I Only remember one saying that he actually did what he was accused of. I'm guessing others probably did too. :)

I'm not buying that he was driving on greens until it's proven that he did. Just as plausible is the possibility that the club made certain concessions and then some members complained and now they are trying to back track.

My club made it clear to my family that they would not be able to make changes to the pool when we joined. No problem, they were open and honest up front. They do allow us to bring an aid for Penny without the aid paying a guest fee. We reached a reasonable agreement. Why are we assuming that it's the guy who is being unreasonable and not the club or its members?

Whoever said it earlier is right, without all the facts you can't know. So I'm moving on to something else.

I don't know if he is damaging the greens or not.  They say he is, he say's he isn't.  He is referencing using this cart: http://www.solorider.com/ which advertises it can be driven on greens w/out damaging them.  Note in the article the course says it is damaging the greens and he says "they are wrong", not "I'm not driving on the greens".  He also says "it is lighter than mowers", and I believe he means greens mowers.  Nonetheless if the course can demonstrate that the cart does indeed do damage to the greens then I think they have a case in court.

• Like 1

Discrimination by a PRIVATE club? Really? Go play all the other courses that you're allowed to play. Grow up and move on. I'm sick of this lawsuit happy society we live in.

AMEN!!!  Especially the lawsuit happy society part of it....so so true.

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League

I don't know if he is damaging the greens or not.  They say he is, he say's he isn't.  He is referencing using this cart: http://www.solorider.com/ which advertises it can be driven on greens w/out damaging them.  Note in the article the course says it is damaging the greens and he says "they are wrong", not "I'm not driving on the greens".  He also says "it is lighter than mowers", and I believe he means greens mowers.  Nonetheless if the course can demonstrate that the cart does indeed do damage to the greens then I think they have a case in court.

Well, according to SoloRider website, they are in Plano TX.  I wonder how much testing they have done in other parts of the country.  Just sayin......

Also, would be interesting to know if the club in question uses riding greens mowers or now.  I know of quite a number of clubs with soft greens that do not use riding greens mowers.  They mow them with some really slick operate by hand mowers.  Very quick and efficient but obviously not as quick as riding mowers.  

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League