Opinions on who should / should not play blades?

Tyk

I honestly don't understand why anybody would want to hit a pure, minimalist blade.

I played them for years because there was nothing else.

I embraced the cavity back as soon as it came out.

I embraced the non-wound ball as soon as it came out.

I embraced the metalwood as soon as it came out (but now two of my three woods are wooden again).

I could have but didn't embrace the hybrid; the original, orange TaylorMade Firesole Rescue did nothing for me, but the Cleveland Halos after that were ok.

I couldn't embrace the 460cc driver nor the long putter, though.

But blades? I don't understand that at all. If you don't hit a sweetspot the diameter of a pencil eraser, they feel harsh.

And the sweetspot on blades isn't even in the middle. It's frightening close to a shank off the hosel.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this was resurrected I will up date my post from November. I got the new putter and abandoned it this last weekend in favor of the old putter with some slight modiifacations. Also, I sold this set of Titleist ZBs (combination cavity back and blade set) a few weeks ago to a guy who month or so could not break 100. Today, he shot an 86 and was singing the praises of the blade especially in the short game.

Driver:      :ping-small:  G425MAX 10.5° -1° Flat on Fujikura VENTUS Blue 5S

Fairway:   :ping-small:  G410 3 wood LST & 5  Wood Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

:ping-small:  G425MAX  7 & 9  Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Hybrid:     :ping-small:  G425MAX  6 H Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Irons:     :ping-small:  i 500 7-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50°, 54° & 60° on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: Studio Style Newport 1.5

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X :taylormade-small: TP5 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

This thread has a life of it's own doesn't it?

To update you all. . .I haven't even changed irons yet! Two years of searching, probably 50 sets of irons tested, probably 5 or 6 considered very strongly, but still, nothing has reached out and said "THESE are what you want"!

I think I am going to get a combo set built by a guy at a local shop that I just met recently. I cannot believe I hadn't been in this shop before! I got turned onto GolfMD in Kansas City because they are the local Scor Golf reps and I wanted a couple wedges. I walk in and the first thing I see is a beautiful black set of Miura's in a display case! Further investigation reveals racks of beautiful forged clubs of all types and several guys busy back in a work area grinding and assembling clubs!

Steve, the guy I was dealing with starts talking about different forging houses and I realize "this is why I haven't found my irons, I've been waiting for THIS!"

I'm going to go get fit, I'm going to go in with an open mind and hear what Steve thinks I should be hitting to get better, I'm pretty excited about the prospect!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

This thread has a life of it's own doesn't it?

To update you all. . .I haven't even changed irons yet! Two years of searching, probably 50 sets of irons tested, probably 5 or 6 considered very strongly, but still, nothing has reached out and said "THESE are what you want"!

I think I am going to get a combo set built by a guy at a local shop that I just met recently. I cannot believe I hadn't been in this shop before! I got turned onto GolfMD in Kansas City because they are the local Scor Golf reps and I wanted a couple wedges. I walk in and the first thing I see is a beautiful black set of Miura's in a display case! Further investigation reveals racks of beautiful forged clubs of all types and several guys busy back in a work area grinding and assembling clubs!

Steve, the guy I was dealing with starts talking about different forging houses and I realize "this is why I haven't found my irons, I've been waiting for THIS!"

I'm going to go get fit, I'm going to go in with an open mind and hear what Steve thinks I should be hitting to get better, I'm pretty excited about the prospect!

Nope, it will never die :)