Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Official Forum Member Review - Bushnell Tour X Rangefinder

GolfSpy Barbajo

Official Forum Member Review

bushnell.png

Bushnell Tour X Laser Rangefinder

Admit it Rangefinder users - when you're on the course and realize you've left your rangefinder at home, or the batteries are dead, don't you feel kind of...adrift?  It's sorta like leaving home without your cell phone. It's a disconnected, unsettling untethered feeling...

And if you're not a rangefinder guy and you feel disconnected, unsettled and untethered....well, that's what the MyGolfSpy Forum is for!

It's also for Forum Member Reviews - and we're ready to kick off our next-to-last Forum Review of 2015.  We have a quartet of talented lads - our own "Fab Four," if you will, who'll be testing out The Bushnell Tour X Laser Rangefinder.

Bushnell says this one is the "Ultimate," and we're hoping our testers will tell us if it's a bunch of marketing hokum or if it's the real deal.  Our boys are in the air, so keep checking this thread for updates!!!

Here's the lineup:

Hula Rock                                    1st Impressions                     Review

lowerider                                      1st Impressions                     Review

PDR New York                             1st Impressions                     Review

RevKev                                        1st Impressions                     Review

Mr. Theoo                                    1st Impressions                     Review

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

“Congratulations on being chosen to test and review the Bushnell Tour X rangefinder for MyGolfSpy………..”

Let me start off by first saying “Mahalo”, Thank You for all you non-Hawaiians, to My Golf Spy for choosing me to review Bushnell's latest entry into the ranger finder market.  Special shout out to GolfSpy Barbajo for leading this effort, as many may already know “John is the best forum co-director ever!”  HaHaHaHa.

The hardest part of being selected to do a review is not the hours invested testing the product and putting it on paper, it's the actual waiting to get the product delivered.

And then this happened:

MGS_1.jpg

As I pulled up into my driveway I saw a couple boxes laying at the front door.  I start shaking my head uttering to myself “she really has to stop this _ _ _ _ !”.  You see, my wife has her picture up on the customer Hall of Fame over at Macy's, Ann Taylor, Zulilly and Amazon Prime.  As I pick up the boxes, out the corner of my eye, I see Bushnell.  IT HAS ARRIVED !!

I immediately glanced at my watch to see how long I have before she arrives home, throw the Amazon box on the couch and make a B-line to the Man Cave.

MGS_2.png

Not going into length about the packaging, let's be honest here, it's a box within a box with packing material cushioning the precious material inside.   Inside the retail box everything had a pre-assigned place neatly packaged.  Kudos to Bushnell for including a battery !!!!!

After reading the manual and installing the battery, like a kid with a new toy, I started ranging things in the room:  Smoke detector 7.1 yards +8 inclination, Window 5.1 yards +6 inclination.   :blink:

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Without taking some material out of my full review, I will say that I am really impressed with the build.  The way it fits in your hand reminds me of the time I first held a Walther P99 handgun, your hand melted around the grip.  The “ON” and focus adjustment are comfortably installed on the unit making it ridiculously ergonomic.  Bushnell has come a long way comparing the Tour X to the Pinseeker 1500.

After taking the Bushnell Range Finder outside it was apparent that I had the Gold Standard in my hands.  Bushnell is known for their Glass, Crystal clear viewing and the ability to change the readout from black to red based on lighting conditions is BRILLIANT.

MGS_A.jpg

MGS_B.jpg

MGS_C.jpg

MGS_D.jpg

>>>>>>>> GARAGE DOOR OPENING !!!!!!!!  

WIFE IS HOME !!!!!! time to wrap it up, don't want to get “That Look” trying to explain that I am doing a review and that I did not pay $$$ for a new toy.

I cannot wait to use this on a golf course, Full Review to Follow.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Bushnell.png

1. Ergonomics -- look and feel:  

As I stated in my first impression/unboxing “The way it fits in your hand reminds me of the time I first held a Walther P99 handgun, your hand melted around the grip”.  Bushnell incorporated a beavertail on the bottom of the unit that PERFECTLY cradles your thumb and index finger. “The ON and focus adjustment are comfortably installed on the unit making it ridiculously ergonomic”.   I did find that the focus wheel is a bit tight making it a little difficult to adjust the focus with one finger in colder weather but I expect that to remedy itself as I continue to break in the unit. 

DSC_0524.JPG  DSC_0530.JPG

The size does not afford you the luxury of using the cup holder in the golf cart as a temporary craddle during your round but that is made up by using the included case with a fast release system.  If I were to add one thing to the Tour-X, it would be the addition of a eye cup on the viewing lens.. 

DSC_0500.JPG

Ergonomics Score 1-100:  95

2. Ease of Use -

Bushnell could have saved a lot of money with the paper used, not saying that they used a lot, when it came to the instructions. Insert battery, point, shoot, its' that simple. No need to input temperature, altitude, its ready to read its first Pin right outside the box.  Does the unit come with a Quick Start sheet? NO.  Does it need one?  Not Really.  Most of us know how to use golf rangefinders, the instruction booklet is good reading material for the throne.  If I did learn one thing from reading the manual, its how to get a slope reading which I will discuss in the performance section.

DSC_0518.JPG  DSC_0520.JPG

Ease of Use 1-100:  100

3. Performance  

Let's get into the meat of the review, how does this thing perform.  I wanted to try something different with this category.  During a recent casual round I showed my buddies the TourX and told them “Have at, let me know what you think.  Away we went.

DSC_0502.JPG  

As fast as we were asking for yardages,  the player shooting distances was giving out yardages as if the number was being made up: “ Left Bunker 166, carry creek 200, cover pin 70” .  (With a few, “Your F-N crazy, there is no way that's _ _ _  yards”  J ) The Tour-X is fast, so fast that I actually started to second guess the reading and followed with a confirmation shot.  Bushnell used some great glass on this unit but with 6X magnification there were moments you had to re-orientate yourself to find the pin when aiming downrange.

DSC_0503.JPG 

It's the little things that count.  The Tour-X also features Dual Display Technology which gives you the ability to change the color of the readout from black to red based on lighting conditions.  I found it very useful on holes with trees in the background since a black readout tends to get lost on darker backgrounds, Flip to red, problem solved!

A couple things we all noted:

1.    If you are slightly off axis (Lining up the front and back lens) when taking a reading, the scope is blacked out.

2.    Still trying to see any benefit to this BUT the readings are broken down to the tenths.  e.g. 100.3 yards, 220.7 yards, you get my drift.  I don't see anyone clubbing up or clubbing down because its' .7 or .3 to cover the pin.  “Hit green, 2 putt, PAR” Birdies are a bonus in my style of play.

DSC_0504.JPG

Another great feature about the Tour-X is Jolt Technology. For those of you who are not familiar with JOLT, the unit actually jolts/vibrates when the unit locks onto the flag.  We did come across a couple pins where Jolt did not activate, followed it up by using my V3 with Jolt, same results.  The unit still gives you a correct distance which we verified using the carts Laser Link lunchbox system.

The Crème dela Crème a.k.a Exchange Technology.  The unit comes with 2 face plates.  The RED face plate activates the Slope functionality while the black faceplate takes that functionality away making it USGA conforming.  Installing either face plate is a breeze but one has to be somewhat careful when using the RED faceplate since it uses a Micro USB connector to engage the slope function.  

DSC_0521.JPG  DSC_0523.JPG  

DSC_0522.JPG

This is where taking the time to read the instructions instead of instantly ranging things in your house when you first get your new toy would have paid off.  The first couple of holes where pretty flat, but I knew in the back of my mind that the Par 3, 206 yard, 3rd hole had some elevation, a perfect time to use the slope function. All of us did the same thing: Point, shoot, got reading, we did not notice a separate slope reading.  After spending what seemed an eternity on the tee box and seeing the group behind us walking off the 2nd green we hit our shots, putt out, and I immediately pull up the instructions on my smartphone.  “After the range is displayed, continue to hold the power down  for approximately 2 seconds while holding the aiming circle on the flag and keeping the unit as steady as possible…………” then release the power button.  “once you have released the power button, a degree of angle and compensated range will be displayed beneath the standard distance”. 

>>>>>>>>>>>insert Ah-Ha moment here

After we got that figured out, the slope function worked flawless !!!!!!!!!!!

Performance 1-100:  95

4 Total Score and personal evaluation:  

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE BUSHNELL TOUR-X RANGE FINDER.  The Tour-X has already demoted my Tour-V3 to my backup bag. As a matter of fact,  one of the two buddies that I played golf with that day purchased the Tour-X immediately after we finished the round.  Bushnell has a winner here.

Total Score:  96.66666666

5. Likelihood of Purchase:  

This is a tricky subject here.  We were told to be honest when reviewing the Tour-X so here is my take on “Likelihood of Purchase”.  Although the Tour-X rated very high in my review, at the $399.00 - $499.00 retail price point, the Tour-X will probably turn off a lot of golfers.  If I was in the market to buy a rangefinder, I'm being honest here, there is a plethora of rangefinders at the $299.00 - $399.00 price point that does the same job minus a couple features.  But if you are looking for THE GOLD STANDARD in Rangefinders I would definitely give the Tour-X some serious consideration.

Once again I would like to say “Mahalo” to My Golf Spy for giving me the opportunity to review the Bushnell Tour-X Rangefinder.  I am looking forward to reading the other MSG member reviews.

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

As many have before me and hopefully can continue to do so, let me first thank MGS and Barbajo for the opportunity to test the Bushnell Tour X Rangefinder!

The time elapsed between the announcement of testers and arrival of the product seemed interminably long. A bit like a month long night before Christmas. The anticipation was amped due to my travel schedule - hectic, and the knowledge that in all probability the package would arrive while I was away. This necessitated explaining in some detail to my wife about MGS, product testing, the prospective package and the naturally ensuing skepticism on her part - yeah, more golf stuff, how much this time, sure it's free... whatever!

OK, so finally it arrives and naturally I'm not home so I don't get to see the delivery in situ, but what the hey - it's a smallish brown cardboard shipping box. We've seen plenty of these - pretty nondescript.

Bushnell - arrives.jpg

Let's see what's inside - looks like a Bushnell box below the air cushion packing - excitement builds!

Bushnell shipping box open.jpg

Finally, a glimpse of the seemingly long awaited tool in it's own "wrapper"

Bushnell - the treasure revealed.jpg

Can't wait to explore the contents - instructions on top

Bushnell - the box.jpg

Boys will be boys - the instructions can wait - time to get tactile

Bushnell revealed.jpg

Bushnell the contents .jpg

Bushnell - and what's in the bag.jpg

OK, got it all unpacked and together now - and oh yeah, beyond the interchangable faceplates which allow the user to opt for either USGA conforming distance only or slope and "plays like" distance, they even include a fully charged battery and lens cleaning cloth - attention to detail rates high in my book.

First impressions -> (beyond the aforementioned attention to detail)

Nice feel - solid but not heavy

Fits the hand well - ergonomics well considered

Excellent optics with either red or black display based on lighting or user preference

Uncluttered view screen with pertinent info

Can't wait to get it on the course - and none too soon, up here in the northeast my club closes for the season on November 30

OK, finally got my crazy “end of the year rapidly approaching” work/travel schedule to cooperate with my “can't wait to try this so I can write a review” with “winters coming soon” urgency to harmonize, so here goes…

1) Ergonomics - look and feel:

I liked the way this unit felt right out of the box. It fit my hand (men's large glove) perfectly. With the slightly knurled bottom recess in the crook between thumb and palm, my forefinger rests on the focus wheel and my middle finger rests on the red button used to activate the rangefinder. The dual display toggle for switching between bright red or sharp black characters and icons is easily accessed on the front directly below the eyepiece. My regular golf partner uses the Tour V3 and I have to say, we both prefer the Tour X slightly smaller size and weight. The included battery is easily loaded through a front access door. I cannot think of anything Bushnell could do to make this more comfortable although the focus adjustment wheel is a bit tight for one finger operation, so I slightly discount this score to 95/100

IMG_1895.jpgIMG_1897.jpgIMG_1898.jpg

2) Ease of Use:  

The Tour X is quite intuitively easy to use and even without the included, clearly written, multilingual manual, a rangefinder novice such as myself can figure it out immediately. The 11 pages of English instruction include an introduction to salient features and technology, succinct instructions on operation, options, and product care, as well as specifications, warranty, troubleshooting, and the obligatory FCC and FDA notes. Right out of the box one simply inserts the battery and the unit is ready to go. The case is convenient and hangs on my bag. Perfect score on this one - 100/100

3) Performance:

On the course this unit shines. The viewfinder is clear, the optics excellent, and the dual (either red or black) internal display informative and yet uncluttered. The indicators include pin seeker, aiming reticle, battery life indicator, active laser, and range in either yards or meters. The Tour X can be configured to provide USGA conforming distance only when using the black faceplate. By simply switching to the included red faceplate, slope and compensated range are also displayed. This swap is easy and the extra faceplate simply lives in the holster. Note the red lens utilizes a micro USB to activate the slope feature - a little care in attaching and removing is probably wise.

Both Lens Off.jpgBlack lens off.jpgRed Lens Off.jpg
It does require a relatively steady hand, but distances are computed rapidly and usually a slight jolt indicates that the target is locked. I found that this feature, while handy, did not always activate. My course has a number of elevation changes and when the pin is partially obscured, this is much more likely to occur.
The range is indicated to 1/10 of a yard (or meter) which is precise but, at least for me, unnecessarily accurate. When comparing to my friend's Tour V3 the yardage was similar but not always exact - which casts further doubt on the need for 1/10's of a yard. Occasionally the range would appear to be wildly off and a second or third sighting would be required. I'm guessing that on a flatter track these slight annoyances would be less noticeable but for whatever reason, that's not my norm - therefore 90/100

In the Gloved HAnd.jpgViewing on the Course.jpg

4) Total Score / Personal Evaluation:

If you are looking for a rangefinder and have need for the ability to swap between USGA conforming distance only or optional slope and compensated range, this unit is ideal. As I am a bit of a techno-geek this appeals to me and together with the excellent ergonomics and ease of use I rate this a “highly recommended” and award a “plus” to the averaged evaluation, therefore 95+/100

5) Likelihood of Purchase:

I travel quite a bit and try to take advantage of the opportunity to play new and different courses. I previously used a GPS app on my phone and while it is seemingly not nearly as precise, it has the advantage of providing information that is not line of sight (which is very handy playing over a hill on an unfamiliar track) for considerably less cash outlay. In the ideal world one might use both and now that I have been spoiled, I find myself reaching for the Tour X whenever possible. So I guess my final judgement is - with a little disposable income in the golf account, I would now want/need (it always hard to separate the two) to buy a rangefinder. They certainly start at considerably less, but if one wants the best or needs the features, I would highly recommend the Tour X.

Best regards to the MyGolfSpy gang and forum members and viewers. I have just returned from a Golf Buddy Trip in Orlando.....where I was armed with the Bushnell Tour X rangefinder. The information I am sharing is a compilation of input from several of the players on the trip. I will start with my conclusion: The Tour X is the most user friendly and effective range finder I have held and used! The premium features and price points match up for me.

I played 36/day at Tranquillo (Osprey Ridge operated by Four Seasons now), Grand Cypress (N, S and E Couses), and Reunion (Nicklaus, Watson and Palmer). After 144+ holes, the Tour X collectively provided yardage to more than 500 targets: traps/water/pins/Herons/Gators (-;

The WOW factors for me:  

1) The dual colors / optics: Black and Bright Red are a treat. Additionally the intensity of the colors can be easily adjusted. Seems to be overkill until you play in varying conditions of light. I personally like the bright red graphics and used this setting 80% of the time. When there is very low light, the red can overpower your vision through the eye piece and view finder. There is some 'rectangle ghosting' evident when red is on bright when used in low light. It is distracting, but NO WORRIES....Flip the color to black with your thumb without even dropping the line of sight. COOL! The display is very vivid from past generations....loving the optics Bushnell.

2) JOLT! Not the drink at the local convenient mart!, but the TOUR X signature indicator for the user. I did not know what to expect, and the intensity of the 'JOLT' confirming a target is unmistakable and quiet. It is not gimmicky, meaning it does not Jolt/viabrate unless it has target lock. I only had 2 false positives the entire trip, and for a good reason. First golf fans, if you are using a range finder and have a legitimate handicap and love of the game....you should know within +/- 15 yards (in my most humble opinion) what your approximate yardage is prior to pulling the trigger. I started this review by identifying where I first tested the Bushnell Tour X: Florida. They have tall straight palm trees in Florida; really! I realized immediately I was not hitting the pin. FLAT ground with a couple palms in the deep backround and pilot error gave me a yardage and JOLT that I knew was not possible. I put a little more effort into the ranging and quickly hit the pin. I tried several other times to shoot just off the pin trying to 'fool' the Tour X, but it dialed in on the pin. I will say the new E. S. P. 2nd Gen is a marked improvement over my old Bushnell V2!! Love the huge jump in accuracy for locking in on my intended targets. Loving the accuracy and Jolt feedback Bushnell.

3) Magnification. My old V2 was a challenge outside 175 yds for me. The 6 x 21 magnification on this new Tour X baby is AWESOME for us senior players. I can see the targets much better with this magnification. I don't know what the V2 is, but the Tour X is slightly more magnification and it is a nice improvement for longer shots and target acquisitions. Loving the magnification for better targeting Bushnell.

4) Focus Ring / Diopter Setting. I mentioned this baby got a good examination from many discerning players on the initial field trial. With multiple users, the focus was used regularly. The old V2 was a two hand process for diopter changes. As with the thumb flip switch for RED to BLACK on the graphics, so to is the diopter adjustment a one hand on the fly change. Positioned so the adjustment is made with the index finger while pointing is GREAT. What would have litterally been annoying with the old V2 platform, was designed out for ease of use on the Tour X platform. Quick Easy Intuitive Loving the ease of focus Bushnell.

5) Battery: Meter and slot. I have always kept backup batteries in my bag. The same CR2 drives both my old V2 and the new Tour X. The battery door is threaded now with easy tab, much needed improvement over the old coin slot PITA quarter turn door. And, the meter is perfect. No more surprises right when Mr. Murphy wants to add stress to your round! I'm thinking the Tour X is providing better battery life. The unit was handled by 12+ people and I'm understating the number of targets at 500. The meter is still showing FULL battery. I have gone through 4-5 batteries per short Upstate New York golf season in my old V2. Loving the two battery improvements, door style and meter, Bushnell.

6) RUGGED! OK, need to expose the truth on this one. The Tour X is 'slightly' larger than the V2, and consequently does not fit into a typical cart beverage slot as well. That being my past practice when riding (I am an avid walker during the season) led to the Tour X bouncing on the deck a couple times. Is 6-8 a couple or several?? Anyway, it has a couple dings in it, of which I am ebmarrased, but the point is it is a ROCK. I would not recommend testing this limit, but I am blown away that this Tour X is not phased one iota from my lapse in concentration and unplanned abuse. FYI, the carts (Club Car) at Tranquillo have an additional slot on the beverage holder area for range finders!, and the Tour X was riding along safe and sound on that round. Love the reliability Bushnell.

The whatever and not-so-much factors for me:

1) Color scheme. Admittedly I wear FootJoy Icon and Footjoy Tour Classics, so the tri-color and RED faceplate for slope technology is a little loud. Opinion only, has no effect on the operation.  

2) No means for attaching a lanyard. I have never left a range finder on the course, EVER. My process is the use of a 36" lanyard I keep attached to my bag....simple: the unit cannot be left behind. I miss the slot which was provided on my V2. I'm not willing to trade the reliability and rapid deployment I developed with my old version for the new bungee flip open protective carrying case on the Tour X. New case looks cool, but to painful to open and close with every use of the Tour X. I use the rangefinder for virtually every shot to within 40 yards of the pin or target. I approach a ball with rangefinder drawn, approximate yardage known (as I walk 95%) and BAM, hit the target and pull the club all in one continuous motion. Hmmmm, still thinking on how I will adapt to a new pre-shot routine with this unit. No deal breaker, but I do not like the potential of a loose range finder to have to keep track of. 

3) Exchange Technology. The added feature of slope technology for additive or subtractive differential seems cool, but I did not have a single shot on the trip that yielded more than 1 degree (YES!, Tour X provides the inclination in degrees and the adjusted yardage for you in the view finder) I like the looks of the BLACK faceplate (less slope yardage technology) on the unit better than the bright RED (red plate provides yardage adjustments)....but I used the RED / SLOPE feature faceplate for almost the entire maiden voyage. I place it in the 'what ever' category for now, as it provided no real benefit on these tracks. I needed a wind meter on this trip!! (-;

We are having a rediculously mild winter in New York, and I will get another couple of rounds in this weekend on a course where the slope technology will get a test; CAN'T WAIT to compare the technology to my 'intuition' developed over 47 years of golfing.

In closing on this initial tester feedback input; I and sold. My lovely wife of 32 years and avid golfer 'Robin" is getting a Tour X under the tree tomorrow. We each carried the V2 over the past 5 years, but Tour X is a large step forward for me. AND, That will stop the long stares Robin gives me when I am handling the Tour X. Ho Ho Ho

Best regards all, and PLEASE: I focused on points that were most relevant to me on the initial use. If you have any inquiry on any points that I may help clarify before my next posting....reach out and jump into the discussion tread. I'm fortunate to have been picked and I want to be as expressive as possible to all the great forum participants and supporters.  

Keep it in the short grass......Thanks John Williams.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Greetings MGS members, sponsors and tester committee. I received my highly anticipated technology!: Bushnell Tour X laser rangefinder.

My initial impressions are very positive:

Packaging: The shipping box was adequate, and the unit is sent in a bright branded double walled carton with all the great features and benefits shown on the outside….in 5 languages. Nice.

Exchange Technology / Dual Display Technology / PinSeeker with JOLT / Accuracy to 0.5 YDS / Range…up to 450YDS to Flag / 2nd Generation E.S.P. (can't wait to learn what this is!) / Vivid Display Technology / 6 X Magnification.

I like the box and all the details that will help serve to understand the potential of the Tour X.

Inside: Let me just net this one out: COMPLETE

It is a great sign when you need a special battery (CR2 for this unit) and BUSHNELL includes one! You can open this baby on the way to the course and be in business when you arrive to play. The unit has two faceplates (with and without patented ‘Slope Technology')…the red one looks cool!!

There is a small cloth bag for the faceplate not in use to store and protect; great touch. Cleaning cloth for the lens. SWEET padded case with zipper closure and quick close mini bungee for use during play.

Instructions, in several languages….I'm headed there next for something most ‘guys' rarely do….actually read thoroughly to take full advantage of the features available on my next round. I originally posted I use a Tour V2 today, and one of the first impression / improvements is the battery slot and cap. It is on the end under the eye piece, NOT the side, and Bushnell calls the closure ‘Posi-Thread'….a HUGE improvement over the old coin slot cap with quarter turn detent.

This model has easy key tab to open and close the battery door, that is sealed when closed!!

The faceplates are EASY to swap, with the RED plate having an electronic connection to line up near the top of the plate. The BLACK plate does not have any technology and is legal for tournament play, and easily snaps securely in place. 1st impression is it couldn't be easier to switch plates: great industrial design.

Last item for my initial impression speaks to design also; the thumb indent and overall shape ‘falls into place' in your hand, right or left. Compared to the old unit I have, you can grab the Tour X and quickly manipulate for use without looking at it! You know when you are holding it correctly immediately from FEEL, no distractions turning front to back, up and down. Great ergonomics Bushnell.

I'm working on the quick set-up options tonight, and will check back in with MGS as soon as I play a round; scheduled for this Wednesday! Thanks again to all that made this happen for me, it is a privilege to participate and provide insights and opinions to perspective buyers and Bushnell.

Keep it in the short grass......Thanks John Williams.

Initial Impressions

The nice thing about going last is that there are already lots of great pictures of the Bushnell Tour X from the other reviewers.  Indeed we've already seen ones like this:

1117150851.jpg

or this:

1117150903b.jpg

or of course this:

1117150906.jpg

As other reviewers have noted Bushnell does a great job of packaging and the Unit is basically ready to go out of the box.  All the user need do is choose the adapter that he would like, black for USGA tournament legal, red for the slope feature.  The red one is even marked "does not conform to the rules of golf."

The Tour X is very intuitive, I actually didn't need to open the book to get it up and running but I do have a Bushnell V3.  Others may need to take a moment to read the instructions. 

The Unit itself is compact and light so I was a bit surprised when I compared it side by side with my V3.  Here are a couple of side by side pictures for your own consideration in that regard:

1128151006.jpg

1128151007.jpg

At first glance the Tour X seems to be about the same as the V3 but because of the adaptive pieces it's actually a tad larger.  The size difference is not noticeable during use or in regards to stowage in the golf back though.  It is light weight, easy to handle and use with lots of adjustability features.

I do want to make some comments about the appearance of the Tour X and Bushnell Range Finders in general.  While I know that the red/white/black color scheme is a part of Bushnell's trademark I'm not sure that it is ideal for their target market.  After all the current retail price point of this Unit places it at the top end in the market place.  Other Units look richer, black only or more colorful, something bright.  This one looks a bit cheap IMO, even though it's not.  Most people will purchase this Range Finder in store and for that reason appearance does matter. 

First Impressions on the Course

The good:   Like my V3 the Tour X has jolt technology.  Prior to the advent of that feature I was unable to use a Range Finder, now it would seem odd to play a round of golf without one.  The yardages seem reasonable and accurate and come very quickly with little effort.  The eye piece is easy enough to adjust although at times there are some issues because of my glasses, perhaps some day a company will come out with a unit just for those of us who have visual impairments.  Of special note the dual display feature of red or black is a great and welcomed feature for someone who plays in a part of the world where glare can become a huge factor.  I will have much more to write about this in the actual review.

The not as good:  According to the TourX instruction manual the ranging accuracy is "plus or minus one yard/meter under most circumstances."  That's great!  But one wonders why there would be yardages to 1/10th of a yard for distance of 125 yards and under since this is the case.  It's lots of fun to give someone a number of 103.6 but the reality is that there is not much benefit to this particular feature.  If the TourX is already not accurate to the yard it can't possibly be accurate to the tenth of a yard.  Certainly though it's more than accurate enough for me or any other golfer not named Jordan Spieth.

I'd like to take one last opportunity to apologize to Barbajo, Bushnell and the MGS community for the issues that I've had in posting this review.  Thanks so much for everyone's patience and for this great opportunity to test a product from a well known and respected company.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Bushnell Tour X Range Finder Review

DSC00105_zps14rhiphg.jpg

We have been testing the Bushnell Tour X Range Finder over the course of the last month.  I've owned a Bushnell V3 range finder for the past three years.  It's a great unit, small, light, simple to use and fast.  My thought going into this review was that it was going to be very hard to top what I already have.  Let's see if I was right.

A bit about my scoring system.  Since it's always great to be on the golf course and since most golf equipment is well made the expected score going in is a 90 which would be a B +.  In my scale 95 is outstanding and anything higher outstanding plus.  The V3 would be a 92/93.  It fails to reach the 95 because I do have some issues with glare on sunny days in Florida.

Ergonomics – look and feel

While a tad larger than the V3 (see the pictures in my initial impressions section) it is still light weight and compact.  It fits neatly into the hand at rest or when being used.

DSC00110_zpsgyaehzsn.jpg

DSC00115_zpswwolxooi.jpg

While I'm not a huge fan of the color scheme the white, red and black make it easy enough to locate where ever it is stowed.  The Tour X fits neatly into the front compartment of a golf cart but not into a cup holder.  For those who like to walk it will fit well in a variety of bag slots and is heavy enough that it does not fall out easily.

Ergonomics Score   95

Ease of Use

This is where the Tour X truly excels.  Of primary importance for a guy like myself is the jolt technology that easily locks onto a target and gives yardages in seconds.  The ability to switch between black or red graphics with the flip of a toggle switch by the handle is very important when moving from bright sun to shade.  It is far simpler to shoot intermediate targets such as traps, front of green or trees than the V3 was. 

DSC00113_zps4mqhlvlh.jpg

DSC00114_zpsdc6x8qkz.jpg

DSC00099_zpszrnsidgw.jpg

While it's not a huge feature for me because Florida is very flat and I prefer to play equipment that is conforming it is very easy to shift between the conforming black piece and the non-conforming and clearly marked red one.

DSC00109_zpshgqwtdvu.jpg

Ease of Use Score   98

Performance

The Tour X performs very well.  I can't recall a time when I was not the first player in my group with a yardage.  According to the booklet yardages are accurate to plus or minus 1 yard.  All indications are that this claim is accurate as there have been no on course surprises.  There was one occasion when I played with someone who was using a more moderately priced unit.  At times we varied by five yards.  It was clear that the Tour X was the more accurate based on the distances that we hit our shots and where we ended up based upon our club selection.

As I mentioned in the Ease of Use section it is very easy to shoot intermediate targets.

DSC00115_zpswwolxooi.jpg

I will have to deduct a few points for the tenth of a yard feature inside of 125 yards as it is impossible for that feature to be accurate and it is of no benefit to the average golfer.  If anything it is confusing or at best a conversation starter.

The jolt technology is spot on, quick, discernable with a display number quickly following the jolt.  The options in regards to slope or not are great and although the slope feature is not legal for tournament play it is a helpful way for a player to learn how much to add or subtract for slope while practicing.  Also the two color option for display screen is a fantastic addition.

Performance Score 94

Overall Score  96

Overall Evaluation and likelihood of purchase

By this point it should come as no surprise that I was impressed with the Bushnell TourX Range Finder tested.  It is most certainly an upgrade over my current Bushnell V3.  Even though it is a tad larger it is still light weight, fits in the hand, is faster and has greater functionality. 

Having written that likelihood of purchase comes down to need and value.  If I had the need for a Range Finder I would certainly try the Tour X.  I doubt that I would purchase it for $499.  While I love the features, I find that I only really need some sort of technology that allows my shaky hand to lock on target and also provides reasonable (plus/minus 2 yards) accuracy. 

If I were in the market for a new Range Finder I would search until I found something that would accomplish those goals for $299 or so.  For many people price matters and dropping an amount that constitutes a good used set of irons or a top of the line driver with a fitting on a range finder is not in the cards.  However if price were not a factor I couldn't imagine a better Range Finder on the market today than the Bushnell Tour X.

In closing I'd like to thank Bushnell and My Golf Spy for this testing opportunity as well as the Bayou Club for allowing us to take pictures on their driving range.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

When John messaged me asking if I wanted to fill in for someone in the Bushnell review I felt like the closer getting the call from the bullpen.

calling up.jpg

I was excited and ready to say the least. I had been looking at this laser for quite sometime since I had been struggling with elevation changes. But after giving John my info I had to wait, and I don't like to wait lol. Weeks went by and I thought it would never come, then one day I go outside to check the mail and I see the box tucked nicely on the side of my porch. The UPS man did a great job of hiding it from potential laser thieves.

I took it inside and opened the bad boy up.

Overhead.JPG

First thing I noticed was how it felt in hand.In hand.JPG

Very comfortable. Looking into the laser it's very clear and crisp. The focus adjuster right on top is a nice touch too.

My favorite thing about this may very well be the case that came with it.

Case.jpg

It one looks great and two feels nice and tough so it can take a pounding being hung on my golf bag which spends a lot of time in the trunk of my car.

Black and red.JPG

I can't wait to use this outside, unfortunately the colder weather came with the laser so I'm going to have to get creative in my testing but I have some ideas in the works.

But that's all for now as I have to get to bed and prepare for another hell day at work.

THANKS MGS & BUSHNELL for this opportunity!!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

PB300258.JPG

Bushnell Tour X Rangefinder Review

1. Ergonomics -- look and feel:   

How well does it fit in your hand?  Are the buttons placed logically? Does the design help or hurt the functionality? Any specific physical aspects (battery holder, viewer, targeting buttons, etc) really stand out, good or bad? Is the size a benefit or a drawback?  How well is this thing designed for both form and function?

For me the Tour X is very comfortable in hand. I compare it to the Xbox controller. It's form meets its function. For me all the buttons are accessible with one hand. It's only downside is the focuser is a bit hard to use when looking through the unit.

Score: 93

2. Ease of Use -- Is this thing intuitive or do you need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out?  Are the instructions well written? Is there a Quick Start instruction sheet?  Does it need one?  Is it ready to go right out of the box?  

This thing is the easiest thing to use. Might be the first time in a golf equipment review the phrase “point and shoot” actually means that, for me at least. I will say i did read the manual when i first recieved it though just so i could understand how the slope feature worked, but after that I was ready for action.

Score: 90

3. Performance -- Bushnell says the Tour X is the "ultimate." Is it? Can you lock onto your target easily, or does it take a few tries?  How does the slope function work? Do you find it to be accurate?  What about the other features? Does the "Jolt" technology work? Is it helpful or annoying? How easy it is to swap out the faceplates?  Does the Dual Display Technology work?

It works like a charm, the jolt feature is very refreshing when locking on a target and knowing it's the right one. My old laser would work on the flags that had the prisms but that's it. the jolt feature works on most targets with or without a prism.

Score: 99

4 Total Score and personal evaluation:  

What's the average score?

94, which might seem a bit high but I had been looking at this laser to purchase for myself next season so I had become well accustomed to how it worked and felt in hand. (I'm a big window shopper lol)

Do you like this thing?

No….I love it!!! From its performance to its looks. The Tour X is just awesome.

Would you recommend it to others?

Yes i would, even though the price tag is high I would because it is something that could help their game and because a product like this can last so long it can be seen as an investment. This isn't something you replace in your bag every year.

5. Likelihood of Purchase:  

If you were in the market for a rangefinder, would this be on your radar? At $399 to $499 (online price range), is it a good value?

Short answer is yes, I would spend my money on this rangefinder. Yes that is easy to say now that i already have it but before this review I was actually looking at this exact rangefinder. I have a Leupold GX3i now and love it but wanted something that could further help my game. My scores had been dropping but I was still struggling with elevation changes. This rangefinder has been helping me understand them more and how to choose the right club and shot instead of just going pin seeking every time I get a short iron or wedge in my hand. Pairing the Tour X with my lessons I foresee myself making great strides in my game for 2016

I'd like to thank Bushnell and MyGolfSpy once again for this opportunity to test the Tour X! Also stay tuned for future updates and on the course photos with this bad boy.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Hula Rock's 1st Impressions post is up!  Check it out here.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Lowerider's 1st Impressions post is up!  Check it out here

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

WIFE IS HOME !!!!!! time to wrap it up, don't want to get “That Look” trying to explain that I am doing a review and that I did not pay $$$ for a new toy.

This necessitated explaining in some detail to my wife about MGS, product testing, the prospective package and the naturally ensuing skepticism on her part - yeah, more golf stuff, how much this time, sure it's free... whatever!

Yep - I know this look very, very well....mixture of skepticism, contempt, amusement and a head-shaking amazement that, when given the choice, she actually did say "I do"

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So I'm not the only one.  Good!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

My wife takes it to another level as she will use it as ammo to go on a buying spree..

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Good start guys.

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

For some of us its a nice start Hula - I am still unable to post pictures so I'm sorry to be causing a delay.  Busy day at work but will figure it out tomorrow by hook or crook.  I will say that my pics look like everyone else's with one exception - I think that all who are interested in a range finder will want to see and read about that exception.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Hey Rev.. maybe you could just draw some pictures and post those? That'll work.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Hey Rev.. maybe you could just draw some pictures and post those? That'll work.

Are you trying to get me banned from the forums? I actually got to teach a fourth grade religion class a few years ago. One of the girls from that class became my designated drawer. Maybe I will get Jala to draw the picture here. I like it. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

RevKev's First Impressions post is up!!!

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/14860-official-forum-member-review-bushnell-tour-x-rangefinder/?p=184319

If you guys have any questions you'd like to ask the testers as they prepare their reviews...now's the time to do it!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Let's get party started, Review Posted !!!!!

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

This necessitated explaining in some detail to my wife about MGS, product testing, the prospective package and the naturally ensuing skepticism on her part - yeah, more golf stuff, how much this time, sure it's free... whatever!

Yep - I know this look very, very well....mixture of skepticism, contempt, amusement and a head-shaking amazement that, when given the choice, she actually did say "I do"

I especially like that last line, given the choice, she actually did say, I do" :-)

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Nice review Lowrider !  cant wait to here what the other guys think ..................................

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

RevKev's review is up ---

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/14860-official-forum-member-review-bushnell-tour-x-rangefinder/?p=184320

So far, we have 3 fans of the Bushnell....can't wait to see what our last two testers think!!!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Great review Rev !!!!!

I tried for hours to take a picture of the reading inside the Tour-X,  Could not get the picture good enough to post ....

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Archived