Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Whoopsie

mcavoy

Well I do not know about him being discplined at all. Seems like he did a good job recovering and not crashing and with no injuries or loss of life. In that type of training those things can happen. The plane may have exceeded it's load limits as far as G forces etc but it may be tested found ok and put back into service. One of those hurricane hunter planes got messed up simular to that a few years ago and the ones in charge stated the plane was toatalled because it exceeded its stress limits. They did extensive tests and a few repairs and that hurricane hunter plane is still flying today. I know there are some Air Force types on here that are more qualified to comment on this than I am but overall I think that pilot did a great job in recovering and landing safely with no loss of life

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Well I do not know about him being discplined at all. Seems like he did a good job recovering and not crashing and with no injuries or loss of life. In that type of training those things can happen. The plane may have exceeded it's load limits as far as G forces etc but it may be tested found ok and put back into service. One of those hurricane hunter planes got messed up simular to that a few years ago and the ones in charge stated the plane was toatalled because it exceeded its stress limits. They did extensive tests and a few repairs and that hurricane hunter plane is still flying today. I know there are some Air Force types on here that are more qualified to comment on this than I am but overall I think that pilot did a great job in recovering and landing safely with no loss of life

From the article "But because the plane flew upside down, it "over-G'd," or exceeded the load and stress limits on the airframe, meaning it can no long be considered airworthy, according to the Air Force report. It estimated the cost of the incident at more than $115 million.

The service's Accident Investigation Board blamed the accident on the gunship pilot's "excessive rudder input during the test point followed by inadequate rudder input to initiate a timely recovery from high angle of sideslip due to overcontrolled/undercontrolled aircraft and wrong choice of action during an operation."

Now if its just the airframe and the cost of the plane was $115M then I don't know how it can be considered a total write off.  Should still be able to salvage much of the aircraft.  Still being a pilot and being found responsible for an incident like that is a big hit on a pilots career.

Archived