hckymeyer

Was 2015 golf a success for you?

I've only known one guy that quit golf. And... it's because he got the shanks. He'll tell you that.  Now this guy had a strange "lift up the left heel-pause at the top" exaggerated looking swing. Not exactly like Charles Barkley but you get the idea. Really odd. But in years past he could actually play a decent game shooting in the mid 80's. You just didn't want to watch him swing. I play with his brother all the time and he's a good solid player. Anyway, I recently saw the shanker and his personality was markedly different. All he does now is work and shoot pool at a local pool hall. This didn't even seem like the guy I used to know. He was gripey* and a little bit surly I thought. Really strange. He was pale due to hanging out indoors all the time I guess. I'm not sure if he'll ever play again. The guys not a drug'er or problem drinker. I think it's because he quit golf. I really do. But who knows...he could have issues I'm unaware of.

Moral of the story is... hang in there GetaGrip and don't quit.

This WAS the year I broke 80 (twice)!

I didn't really play more "away" rounds playing the muni than I did at my local country club and likely played less golf overall than I did the previous season, since the CC is much closer to my house and holds fewer events, so I've already payed my dues to return to the club next season.

Nifty and Plaid, thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I may have sounded more negative than I feel. I believe I'm on track now. I get one lesson a week, plus at least one practice session on the swing monitor. This was my Christmas present, and it's the best one I could have asked for. My new swing feels weird and unathletic, but it's simple and repeatable. My old swing required perfect timing. My high scores seem to be because I now miss driver left, but I haven't adjusted for that. Plus, my irons seem to come up short more now, my distances are inconsistent. Too many swing thoughts still. Once I get good habits ingrained, it will free up my motion. I have the confidence now that I'm making a good swing, giving myself a chance. Before, it was hope and hit. I am looking forward to replaying some of my friends and hopefully surprising them.

Nifty and Plaid, thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I may have sounded more negative than I feel. I believe I'm on track now. I get one lesson a week, plus at least one practice session on the swing monitor. This was my Christmas present, and it's the best one I could have asked for. My new swing feels weird and unathletic, but it's simple and repeatable. My old swing required perfect timing. My high scores seem to be because I now miss driver left, but I haven't adjusted for that. Plus, my irons seem to come up short more now, my distances are inconsistent. Too many swing thoughts still. Once I get good habits ingrained, it will free up my motion. I have the confidence now that I'm making a good swing, giving myself a chance. Before, it was hope and hit. I am looking forward to replaying some of my friends and hopefully surprising them.

Two things--first, per the thread, yes, 2015 was a golf success, particularly at the end.  Had a neurostimulator installed for my back and that has been great.  About 95% relief, never have back issues during the round (just some soreness afterwards) and for the first time in years, I can play or practice two days in a row.  Even did a three day spree, though was quite sore after that.  So, needless to say, a lot more golf.

Included in that was re-upping at GolfTec.  As soon as I got fully recovered from the neurostimulator surgery in June, I started GolfTec lessons again.  I was 16.7 index at the time.  I finished 2015 at 13.4, with over a two stroke reduction in the last six weeks.  And in the last three weeks, I've finally got my distance back, and more.

To GetaGrip--your experience with the new swing progression sounds very, very familiar.  My lessons had early and good results in reducing my my killer fault--the over the top pulls, sometimes into the next county.  Just like your thing with the shanks, I'd get into ruts where every swing was a pull regardless of what I tried, or terrible pushes or chunks when I overcorrected or miscorrected.

But while the chronic pull was largely fixed, the swing changes had robbed me of distance, particularly with irons. I'd hit what I thought was a flush 7 iron (my 150 club) and have it come up 15 yds short (both on the course and in front of the simulator).  That lasted for months, with only occasional better distance days.  But suddenly, over the last few weeks, the distance is back, plus.  My driver is 2 to 2 1/2 clubs longer than a couple of months ago, and my irons are back to my traditional distances, plus maybe 1/2 to 1 club longer.  Yesterday, I went for a video practice and my six iron was almost always 170 plus, with a long of 179.  The six has always been my 160 club.  So, everything seems to be falling in place.  I think a lot of it is that I'm no longer thinking about every step in the backswing in order to get to or stay in the proper position, which is making my downswing much freer.  

Bottom line, stick with it, better times coming.

Immediate 2016 goal--figure out how to get my hands in front of the ball at impact.  All the improvement described above was achieved with my hands still at best even with the ball at impact.  Can't wait to see what happens when I figure that part out.

• Like 1

Nope due to injuries it was not. I was playing g great and ready for the Mid Am qualifier and ruptured my Achilles. I am now about 90% and working to get back in shape and my game back

I think I played 4 times maybe. Already played once this year, ahead of the curve already.

• Like 2

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:21 PM

- Score consistently in the 80's

Nope, I did not succeed......but I am on my way.  My Hcap is still 18.

I finished the year by moving up to the Senior Tees and scored a 78 on the last day of the year.  I'm gonna like 2016.

• Like 2