Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Playing "Alone" Doesn't Count Anymore Sez USGA

GolfSpy Barbajo

Well there go most if not all of my rounds. I get it, but still in summer out here when it's 105-110 no one wants to play ever.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

For the record, I told the Proshop today that since I was playing by myself, it didn't count as a round. So they should not charge me. They did not read the rule that was. Haha

(I pay the same whether I play or not but I thought I would ask.)

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

So just another add on: Someone leaves after 9. Does it count or not now? What if a group now wants to slow down? Do I have to wait on them?

USGA opened a can of worms with this one. Luckily, I play enough that if I really felt like posting a handicap, I have enough people that will "verify" my score because I take pride in my handicap.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

I'm confident that my handicap is accurate and of late it's been up, up and away - I wish I didn't have to post some of the scores that I've been shooting.

I feel your pain Rev. I just posted an 83 from yesterday. As some of you might be aware my goal this season was to initially shave 2 points off my handicap which I did by early summer. My revised goal was to drop my handicap below a 6 to somewhere between 5.5 and 5. I'm having some doubts right now. Yesterday I shot an 83 which included 2-doubles and triple. Good grief! But boy did I have fun doing it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I read this last night but I was home alone, so I wasn't sure if it counted as a rule or not.

I checked, it didn't count so you have to reread it and have it attested.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I often play solo, simply because I've retired earlier than most of the folks I'm used to playing with, but most of them never post scores to maintain a handicap.

I've only paid the GHIN fee for convenience to track my progress, or lack of it anyway, so I'll probably just quit bothering with it and average my scores for an estimate.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Wbeal there are plenty of places that will track your handicap without giving you an official GHN.  In the end I think this is much ado about nothing - people that want to cheat will still cheat and people who play in regular events that require a legitimate handicap will have no trouble posting enough rounds to establish one.

It's not going to stop me from playing alone on occasion I just won't post those scores - I've never felt comfortable posting those scores anyway.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Wbeal there are plenty of places that will track your handicap without giving you an official GHN.

You could join The Grint for free. They use the offical system and you get (at this stage) a GHN.

I just sent them an email asking what effect it will have on their service, if any.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

For the record, I told the Proshop today that since I was playing by myself, it didn't count as a round. So they should not charge me. They did not read the rule that was. Haha

(I pay the same whether I play or not but I thought I would ask.)

Maybe they have a different answer in 2 months :)

Just received a reply from the Grint.

Hi Matt, good morning,

Thank you for contacting us.

We are working on it.  We will develop a Tool where you would select if you were playing by yourself or with someone (like it is now, where the other player would Attest your Score).

We will announce the new Feature as soon as we have it ready.

Thank you for asking.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

The way it sounds to me The Grint will work just like GHIN under USGA.  If you play alone, the score may get posted, but likely won't be reflected in your handicap unless attested by another player, more than likely another Grint player.

I'm sure we haven't heard the last of this one.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think its stupid but honestly, for most golfers who just like to get out and knock the ball around and have no plans to play competitively, it really doesnt matter anyways.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Is it April Fool's already?

It is April Fools day everyday at the good old USGA 24 hours a day 365 days a year.  Those people never fail to amaze me. But in reality other than some folks that I call serious golfers that are on here and other blogs the average "Joe" could care less about a handicap or the USGA for that matter. I was using some software to do mine and honestly I do not know why because I do not play in any amateur sanctioned events anyhow. The bunch I play with knows each other's game and we make matches accordingly and it is pretty evenly matched up.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Here's the problem: playng alone, I can post a legitimate medal play score.

Playing with somebody else, there are conceded putts and pickups if one is out of the hole.

I am amazed that nobody has mentioned this already.

This is covered in Section 4-1.

Section 4 ADJUSTING HOLE SCORES

4-1. Unfinished Holes and Conceded Strokes

A player who starts, but does not complete a hole or is conceded a stroke must record for handicap purposes the most likely score. The most likely score may not exceed the player's Equitable Stroke Control limit, defined in Section 4-3. This most likely score should be preceded by an "X." (See Decision 4-1/1.) 

There is no limit to the number of unfinished holes a player may have in a round, provided that failure to finish is not for the purpose of handicap manipulation.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

As my European colleagues have said, single players can't put in handicap cards. But, I do understand why many of you don't like this change.

Seems that the UK system is coming closer to US, but at the same time some changes bring you closer to us. Quite frankly it mystifies me how in our global game we don't have one way of doing things.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Here's my other thoughts. I carry a handicap or did when I played in one county sanctioned tournament a year. All of the golfers were semi-serious and never saw a truly outrageous sandbag attempt other than a guy who had back surgery and shot 78 on a 20 handicap. That was fishy to say the least, but when I played him, he honestly played like a 15 or 16 in match play. So now I have to find serious golfers, schedule a tee time and have them verify a score. At some point, I wish they would just all out commit to having the club pro put in scores. I get that they have a lot of other responsibilities but if they know the membership well, they'd probably be able to tell the sandbaggers and the real golfers apart. Complex issue, but one that the USGA seems to have made a lot more difficult.

Here's my other thoughts. I carry a handicap or did when I played in one county sanctioned tournament a year. All of the golfers were semi-serious and never saw a truly outrageous sandbag attempt other than a guy who had back surgery and shot 78 on a 20 handicap. That was fishy to say the least, but when I played him, he honestly played like a 15 or 16 in match play. So now I have to find serious golfers, schedule a tee time and have them verify a score. At some point, I wish they would just all out commit to having the club pro put in scores. I get that they have a lot of other responsibilities but if they know the membership well, they'd probably be able to tell the sandbaggers and the real golfers apart. Complex issue, but one that the USGA seems to have made a lot more difficult.

Yes but what happens if you don't belong to a club? This is a no win scenario for the USGA and it makes no sense at this time. Way more significant issues facing golf like how to get the average length of a round back closer to three hours or how to make the game more fun for more people.

There has always been sandbagging. I don't see any evidence that it is either more or less prevalent now that it was in the old days.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

For the last several years my wife and I belongs to a club where I did not record any scores.  We played there mainly for fun and practice.  The reason was the course was mis-rated IMO.  I think the pro who built the course bribed the raters; again, JMO.  If I recorded into GHIN every round this last year that I played at this course, I would be scratch.  I can shoot par about half the time.  It's a short course that sets up well for me; it is imperative to be in the short grass, but I don't have to hit it long.  The greens stimp about 4; you get used to it, but then it's difficult to play any other course.  

So, we joined an "eClub" and have been recording scores at all the other courses we played.  There is no physical club.  I don't know any of the members, and I guess they are probably like me and are not members of a golf club in the area.  Now that we joined a nice club in town, we will move our GHIN membership and that will allow us to play in the Men's and Women's events at our new club.  

As a mostly weekday player, I don't play in our club's  formal events except to reciprocate member-guest invitations.

Golf is strictly social and / or recreational for me these days.  At this point I'm not ultra-competitive in my approach.

The bets among my gang of geriatrics are nothing to loose sleep about, and I continue to play with ever-diminishing skills because it still doesn't hurt so much that it's not a lot of fun. 

As we all know here, it's quite a game that we have, this regardless of the level of intensity with which we approach it.

I just like having a handicap to see what I've got left, and the reminder about how to turn in cards from match play rounds becomes important now that the solo round scores won't count anymore.

• Guests
Guest Electric Pig

It's probably been said before but:

You've been allowed to submit cards without them being signed by a marker (you know, like every other competition or tournament?) Wow. It would be nice to be off 18 again...

Welcome to the way the rest of the world does it- in accordance with rule 6.6. The marker checks the score with the competitor, and the competitor makes sure the marker has signed the card before it is submitted. If neither of those are met (because, for example, there is no marker), in simple but absolute terms the round has not been played in accordance with the rules of golf, and should not be taken in to account.

But what would I know. I'm only a rules official in a non USGA realm, where the handicap requirements make all this quite clear.

Archived