Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2016 Hogan Rumors

GolfSpy Barbajo

Picked up pieces, rumors and what to look for from Ben Hogan in 2016...

• Look for an addition to the Fort Worth 15 iron offering - specifically an option for easier to hit long irons.

• Sources say the long iron options will be available in the 20-31* range and should make for a nice "combo" set -think Nike Pro Combo-ish

• New long irons will be unique to the Fort Worth 15 line, so as not to be confused with...

• A completely new iron set - a more forgiving forged cavity back compared to the Fort Worth 15's

• New iron will most likely to be situated between AP1 & AP2, or Cally's Apex and Apex Pro sets

• You'll also see a hybrid offering, with weight adjustability throughout.

• All these will be shown at the PGA show

• Release date for the irons is early April, hybrids sometime in May

• They'll also be offering a Pro Tour Staff Bag, and does that mean there may eventually be Pro Tour Staff?  No word on that yet...

Interesting first year for Hogan -- they hit some bumps in the road and changed a few things.  They're in some retail stores now - which they said they weren't planning on doing.  Outlets include the PGA SuperStore, Edwin Watts, 2nd Swing, Golf and Ski Warehouse in New England, and a few others....

So, what are your thoughts on Hogan's first year, and expectations for year 2?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

No rumors of LH offering? Probably for the better, save me some money.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

No rumors of LH offering? Probably for the better, save me some money.

Good questions -- didn't think to ask!  Lemme find out...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

My FW15s are the best irons that I've ever owned by any reasonable standard except results.

The cosmetics are from my personal view perfect.

The workmanship is flawless.

The choices--44 lofts in any increments--are astounding.

The direct access to the manufacturer is in my experience equaled only by Wishon.

And the only reason that I sometimes wish that I had bought Edels instead is that I'm psychologically intimidated by chrome. Grey stainless is comfort food. I'm a few therapy sessions away from hitting those Hogans like gangbusters.

I was told on the phone that cavity backs "similar to the old 'Edge' series" would be shown at the PGA show in January. If that's the case, they will be chromed forgings as well. Cast stainless with all the same options would be too good to be true from my perspective.

My source says left handed options may be available later in 2016.  Key word "may"...

Also, Hoganistas will be getting this email later this afternoon, but we GolfSpies are on the job with an early look...

HOgan logo.jpg

This has been a whirlwind year for the new Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company. 

The reception to our new TK 15 wedges and FT. WORTH 15 irons has been nothing short of phenomenal.  Our owners are deliriously happy with their performance and are telling their friends.  And we are beginning to attract the attention of tour players, as the word of this innovative approach to irons and wedges spreads by word of mouth.

We even had a critical role in the huge win by the U.S. team at this year's Solheim cup.

Not bad for a company that has only been shipping since April of this year.

But we are not resting on the laurels of these first two products.  Our design and engineering team has been working long hours to keep up the momentum.  To keep challenging “conventional wisdom” in the world of golf club performance (which we find to be more “conventional” than “wisdom”).

To begin, we don't agree that driver face technology should be built into irons.  Who wants a shallower landing angle with less spin on their iron shots?  So we have innovated a completely new approach to iron design and construction.  We won't be announcing the new PTx irons for a few more weeks, but let me share a couple of hints: They will introduce a completely new concept in pure forged irons that delivers unbelievable feel, unmatched distance consistency, and more spin and green-holding performance than any other game improvement iron.

new irons.jpg

·       They will continue our commitment to precision by being offered in every single loft from 20-47 degrees.

·       They meet Mr. Hogan's standard that â€œa golf club should be like a fine piece of jewelry.”

We also will be introducing the first hollow iron option that blends with a forged player's iron – the new FT. WORTH 15 hi allows you to match FT. WORTH 15 solid forged iron feel and accuracy in the scoring clubs (32 degrees and up) with more forgiving, higher launching hollow irons in the lower lofts (20-31).  This unique approach allows you to optimize your set by replacing one, two or three irons in the lower lofts with an equally gorgeous iron that delivers higher ball flight, more forgiveness and increased spin where you need those the most.

hi 2.jpg

Finally, our new Ben Hogan hybrids take that whole category to a completely new level.  They go against the grain of the entire industry by offering you a more authoritative trajectory and increased spin than any other hybrids on the market.  After all, you are choosing hybrids to replace long irons . . . you are hoping to hit green-holding long-range approach shots, aren't you?  So why would you want lower spinning hybrids that cause the ball to roll out when it lands?

In addition, the new
 Ben Hogan hybrids have the most dramatic weight adjustment capabilities in the category.  You can fine tune each of your hybrids for launch angle and the draw/fade bias you desire.  It's never been done like this before.

hybrid.jpg

We can only offer you these few images at this time, but trust that you will be the first to see them in the coming weeks.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Picked up pieces, rumors and what to look for from Ben Hogan in 2016...

• They'll also be offering a Pro Tour Staff Bag, and does that mean there may eventually be Pro Tour Staff?  No word on that yet...

I thought last year that they should have gone after Jordan Spieth for Hogan Irons. He has said he would not change from Titleist on Driver, Putter or Ball, but he did not say a word about irons or wedges.

He's from Texas, and a huge Hogan fan. (Ben Hogan the player) It might could have happened last year.

This year, I don't think there is much chance of this. Unless he does it for a share of the company. But honestly, I don't see him changing from Titleist Vokey Wedges. Especially now.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Fort Worth-15hi.    That's lovely.  My first thought?  Get me to replace my Fort Worth-15   twenty-three   and   twenty-eight   clubs for which I spent $168 each a matter of months ago.

I believe that upon being hired, every golf marketing exec is issued a mask and revolver by the OEM that hires him or her. 

That's shameless exploitation of the mentally impaired golf gear-head.

Just got the email......interesting.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

The e-mail that we got, Foz,  is exactly the same as Barbajo posted.

I thought that it looked familiar.

First a stand bag and now Staff bag.  Where is the cart bag?

I already have a ridiculous Hogan staff bag going back to the company's  ownership by American Machine and Foundry, then Brunswick's competitor in the automatic bowling pin setter business. Heavy buffalo vinyl.  Might as well be made of concrete. 

Ft. Worth 15hi.......sign me up!  Need one in 22* and the bag is completely set for next year.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Ft. Worth 15hi.......sign me up!  Need one in 22* and the bag is completely set for next year.

So the 2016 lineup will look like this:

TK 15 wedges

Ft Worth 15 Irons

Ft Worth 15 hi/Ft Worth 15 iron combo set

Ptx irons

Hybrids

One of the things our reviewers discussed was how difficult the long irons were to  hit -- seems like those suggestions have been taken to heart.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So the 2016 lineup will look like this:

Hybrids

One of the things our reviewers discussed was how difficult the long irons were to  hit -- seems like those suggestions have been taken to heart.

When I read this email I immediately thought of sschaffer24 and how he was ha introduce with long irons. Sounds like they made just what he needs.

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

If I win the Lottery, they are in my bag!

Note to self: buy a lottery ticket.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Hogan's next challenge - Designing a driver and fw wood that's worth a damn.  The old Hogan company never could get a usable (metal) driver or fw out.  Stuff out now looks good though!

McAvoy, you didn't care for Hogan's Series 56 metalwooods?

They were very basic like TaylorMade Pittsburgh Persimmons and Titleist PTs. I always liked that type of wooden-wood derived metals.

Looking forward to Hogan's new offerings. I took a survey of theirs asking if I'd like them to do free demo clubs which I'd love to see since the clubs aren't offered n too many shops.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

McAvoy, you didn't care for Hogan's Series 56 metalwooods?

They were very basic like TaylorMade Pittsburgh Persimmons and Titleist PTs. I always liked that type of wooden-wood derived metals.

Wow.  Well if you have to go back that far then maybe I'll qualify that statement.  In their last few years anyway they couldn't get a usable driver or fw wood out.  The Edge CFT hybrids were pretty good however.  I owned one of their last attempts at a serious driver, the CS3 and that was one high spinning SOB.  Went straight, but not far.

Yes.

I would have to agree that their later efforts  in metals were unimpressive. Indeed, I'm hard pressed to remember any of them.

I think that most of us think "irons" when we hear "Hogan."

I agree.  However it does look like they are inching towards a full line.  But this is all new ownership so I'm pretty confident that whatever they get out will be pretty good.  From the woods perspective they are not unlike Wilson Staff.  WS is generally regarded as a very good irons/wedges manufacturer but they have found it tough sledding in the woods area.  A large part of that is the sound engineering necessary to make a good driver.  Sound and feel are so interconnected that they are almost inseparable.  TM, Callaway, Titleist have that down to a science.  WS not so much.  The FG Tour M3 was not a bad club and actually performed very well but the sound killed it, and in turn affected sales of the whole line IMO.

The FG Tour M3 was not a bad club and actually performed very well but the sound killed it, and in turn affected sales of the whole line IMO.

Wilson would agree with you there - that's what led the M3 line to the discount bin before it was a year old.  

The new F5 driver has a pretty unique sound -- tell you what, when you nail it, the sound is as sweet as new born puppy!  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Yes.

I would have to agree that their later efforts  in metals were unimpressive. Indeed, I'm hard pressed to remember any of them.

I think that most of us think "irons" when we hear "Hogan."

Not sure if that was the case back in the Persimmon days -- Hogan's woods back in the day were among the best.  The metal woods? Meh, you're right, although I did game a Hogan 5 wood for a while that I really liked...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived