Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

What 2016 Irons Are On Your Must Demo List?

GolfSpy Barbajo

Some question, different category...

What irons are you most looking forward to trying?

I've already demoed Wilson's FG Tour F5 set -- an early favorite for 2016 gamers, and have demoed Wilson's "mystery set" -- gloryosky they're LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG....

Really looking forward to the new Hogan offerings -- Ft. Worth hi long irons and the PtX irons sound enticing...

Loved last year's Srixons, and it seems as though they've broadened the line, so that should be interesting...

Really liked Cally's Apex Pro's when they first came out, so can't wait to demo those...

And like pretty much everything Cobra is coming out with this year -- those King irons look BADASS!!!

Are the Tour Edge irons on anyone's list?  

Curious about the PSI irons, too....and if TM was smart, they'd write Tom Brady a BIG check to endorse those!  :lol:  :lol:

What's on your list?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

NFL officiating Is horrific beyond belief, by the way.

That one deserves its own thread!  Down 7 starters, hostile road game, quality opponent, crazy officiating, and it still took overtime for our boys to be taken down...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I really want to demo all of Hogan's offerings, the new Ptx irons have me intrigued but I'd still like to try the Ft. Worth 15's as well. Hogan offers exactly the aesthetic I like in my irons, very minimal and classy.

Srixon is also on my list. Again, they have a very clean, timeless look and from what I hear, perform wonderfully.

Last would be Miura's. I only say last as the price of a new set of custom Miura's might be out of my range, but man, what beautiful clubs Miurasan creates.

My next set of irons will be my last for a loooonnnnggggg time. I have 3 kids I need to save for college :)

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

PXG Tour are the only irons I have yet to try out that I'm really looking forward to!

I've hit all of the latest offerings and I already have an idea of what I'm going to play this year- just have one more to hit!

If you hit them i hope you have the money for them cause they are sweet

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Nothing is a must for me this year. I still love my irons and the fit they are for me. If I were to upgrade the PSI forged would be high on the list. Along with a set of Cobras and of course Nike.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Nothing on my iron demo list.  The Speedblades have been in the bag 2 seasons now and I got them fitted (tweaked) last winter so I'm still good to go.  Plus I only play the 6-9i in a set so it really seems like a waste to buy new irons when I'm only going to use 4 of them :)

I may slowly replace my Scor wedges with Hogan TK as they wear out though.  Got a 63 in the Hogan TK at the end of the year and they play just like the Scor's so should be an easy swap.  I'm guessing the 58 will be the first to get changed.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I have the Ping i25s, so would like to try the new i iron and Titleist's AP2s. The Cobra Kings, Hogan cavity backs and a few others intrigue me too. Of course, I'd love to try them all, but... 😀 No plans to upgrade though.

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

It's hard to demo anything when anything that's going to fit has to be custom ordered.

This year, I ordered my Hogans sight-unseen.  I'm always absolutely certain of the specs that I want--the basic metrics are  a given which, with fifty-six years of playing experience, I'm unwilling to let a fitter half my age screw up.  I'm never wrong in terms of getting fit, and I'm an infidel when it comes to the impact of newly developed shafts on my game.

It's unlikely that I'll marshal the chutzpah to spend beaucoup bread on golf gear two years running, but my mind never stops thinking about it.  The  Titleist   MOTO program is intriguing. 

Titleist Set III.gif

My next set of irons will be my last for a loooonnnnggggg time. I have 3 kids I need to save for college :)

Know what you mean -- I have two in college now!

BTW - your avatar is my new favorite.  LOVE the DOCTAH!!!!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Know what you mean -- I have two in college now!

BTW - your avatar is my new favorite.  LOVE the DOCTAH!!!!

Haha thanks! I decided to look a bit more presentable as I now help at my kids school, but up until September my wife said I looked like Dr. Johnny Fever, thinning longer hair and a handlebar mustache.

As a side note, it's amazing how much better I'm treated at nicer courses now that I've shaved and cut my hair :)

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Well seeing as though the F5's are already going in my bag (at least for a little bit), I would really like to try out Cobra's new irons. I love the look of them and hope they feel as good as they look. The Titleist line up looks good but I don't know if I'll ever play Titleist. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

• 3 months later...

C200
M2
JPX-850 cast and Forged
Apex CF16
XR

Also: Ping "Crossover"

>>>>>>> update >>>>>>>

Demo'ed the C200s and really did love them! Ready to pull the trigger and $plurge but ..should.. continue testing out the others first...!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Absolutely anything that comes in this corner. I hold no brand bias and will swing anything that gets the job done!

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

PXG (for fun at least - unless Bob Parsons wants to help a brother out) - a local fitter said they are selling fast!

Hogan PTx - I hit the FT recently and didn't really like them. Beautiful! But not the kind of iron I want to game.

Srixon - but I have to drive a bit to test them out

Mizuno JPX EZ boron ;) - and other offerings

I take a very long time to make any decision and my current irons play very well. We shall see...

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Wouldn't mind trying the Hogan PTx, Titleist AP2, and Bridgestone J15 DP Forged and J15 Cast. Since I would be trying them, just for kicks, it would have to be someplace I can just walk in and get a demo. So that pretty much rules out all but the AP2s, although that may be changing for the Bridgestone clubs. Also, I might include the Ping i irons on this list, but I already have the i25s and love them. I won't be changing irons anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

• 2 weeks later...

ok did some more testing ....

Background:

I'm a (I guess) hi hcp'er, currently lo/mid 20s _estimated_ but coming down quickly.

Currently have TM R9s with stock graphite shaft, regular. I really really really like these, been playing them basically my whole golfing career so am "used to them", and am really starting to hit them better this year, but keep wondering if the new iron tech could really help me?

• Wilson C200

Really liked these, was ready to pull the trigger - even spent $9.99 + shipping for a 3 club trial set (order on their website) - but told myself I should try out some others to be sure. All hits felt solid, ball popped off the face nicely, and I was able to hit more consistently (distance and dispersion) than now. What really attracted me was actually the PW - which I use a lot near and around the greens ... felt like I could pretty easily control trajectory and distance with it.

* ie. these felt like enough of an improvement / upgrade over the R9s to compel me to switch.

But also demo'ed...

• JPX-EZ Forged

Got consistent solid strikes with a nice feel; these were def a contender but my personal pref - at least at this stage in my swing - is still a CB-style and with the new thin/flex/unsupported/cup/etc face.

• XR (std not OS)

Nice very very nice but just not quite compelling enough to get me to switch.

• TM RSi-1

Very solid but no feel compared to the R9s.

• TM M2

Same impression as RSi.

(Was not blown away by huge distance gain.)

• JPX-850 (std not forged)

Liked them, a lot, beautiful smooooth feel on *proper* strikes, but ... I don't always do that.... :(

• Callaway Apex

Really liked these, but ... if I was a little better player with a little more confidence in my swing from every situation out on the course ... I would already have a set I these. Until then....

These just felt great. I immediately got solid consistent hits. They seem almost "wedge-like" and easy to play.

But then...

The very helpful guy (shout-out to Dan at Golfsmith East Northport) handed me...

• Cobra King F6

These are IT!!!

For me it just felt like an excellent combo of feel + forgiveness + pop off the face that I could hit smoothly and confidently and without trying to 'force it' and get a very consistent distance and dispersion.

So... Going back to Golfsmith (just to dbl-chk ya know) with a trade-in set while they're running a +50% bonus. (Also like their 90-day playability deal; helps dissuade any buyer's remorse hangups.)

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Good luck with those new sticks. I'm sitting at home waiting patiently for my C200's to arrive.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have always played Pings.  Last week I pulled out my old set of eye 2's and was amazed by how easy they were to hit.  Ever since I've been contemplating switching to a "game improvement" iron.  The new "i" or 'G' is on my hit list.

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I thought I wanted to try the new Hogan PTx irons, but since I reshafted my MacGregor VIP irons with UST ProForce graphite, I am going to play them for awhile.  I wasn't sure that I could play blades anymore, but I am loving the feel of these 14 year old forged muscle backs.  

I also was intrigued by the new Bridgestone JGR forged Hybrid Irons since the MGS visit to Bridgestone recently.  Last Tuesday, Mmmmmbuddy at Fiddler's Green Golf in Eugene Oregon had a set with the Recoil 680 graphite shafts, and I liked them a lot.  If I were ready to switch irons, they would be at the top of my list.  Loved the feel.  The only downside is that they are difficult to work draws and fades.  I like straight so I might be able to live with them.  They sell the 22* 5i separately from the set, and if Nic can get one by my next visit in a month or so, I may be replacing a hybrid with this iron.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'd like to demo PXG Gold.  B)

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Haha I don't think my credit limit on my Amex is quite that high....

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Haha I don't think my credit limit on my Amex is quite that high....

Back in my youthful days, I decided I wanted Ferrari.  Went to the dealer and they would even talk to me until they ran a credit check; that was in 1973 and it took an hour.  I could buy the owner's used Dino 246GT but I would have to sell my car and my house to afford it.  My wife hated the idea.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Good luck with those new sticks. I'm sitting at home waiting patiently for my C200's to arrive.

Thanks, Rev!!

Certainly everyone has their own individual prefs, so I hope those C200s become your "IT" clubs!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Thanks and if not there's always the old C100's or a variety of other stuff laying around the house. :)

Sent from my VS870 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived