Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Mini Driver

superduper

I'm thinking of using a mini driver (2 wood) that can be hit off the deck.  The head should not be too big (220cc) and easy enough to hit from the ground. 

Some golfers on the internet commented that they can hit these clubs about as long as their driver.  Is that a fact or a myth?  (LOL) 

I'm open to all recommendations. 

IMHO it depends on the person. In the old days (persimmon/balata) a lot of guys carried 2 woods for that same reason. Some guys do hit it as long as their driver and straighter. If you want to try it and not spend a lot of money in the process I would suggest maybe looking around the thrifts and yard sales for some older metal woods like the smaller Berthas etc with like a 11* loft. In fact there are some older Bertha small head metal 2 woods around.

By all means I would encourage you to at least try it because you never know until you try 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I picked one up this year, and it's not particularly "mini" until you compare it to a 460cc monster. At 253cc, it's substantially bigger than an old "Warbird" driver, just to give one example. It's about the size of the very early titanium drivers only it's steel.

I can vouch for the mini-driver being a decently hittable club, and 14º is a good driver loft for a lot more players than the actual number of them willing to go that high. I fly by stubborn 10.5 devotees who have swing-speed and ability comparable to mine.

If you're comfortable hitting a fourteen degree club from the fairway, however, you'll probably be comfortable hitting a 9.5º driver. For anybody who'll use it as a driver/fairway club, it would very likely be a secondary driver used much as I use the Mizuno driving iron. If it's your primary driver, I would be very surprised if your longest fairway wood is stronger than, say, seventeen degrees.

For the winter, my mini-driver is sleeping in a bag with my three favorite fairway woods and an old DCI 962 set. I think about these things. Those are clubs with a measure of gravitas, and I want the club to take itself seriously next spring.

DCI 962 set II.gif

I gamed an X2 Hot 2 Deep at 12* the last 2 years -- would use it when I was struggling with the driver and the thing was a BOMB off the tee.  Off the deck, however, it produced mostly low bullets.  The new BB Mini is supposedly better off the deck, but I've found the best combo results with a strong 3 wood.  

Right now I'm testing out the Wilson FG Tour F5 13.5* adjustable model set to 12.5*.  It has a shallower face than the 2 deep, so it's not as forgiving off the tee, but it's a hell of a lot easier to his off the deck, and it's plenty long.  Really good club.

I would also suggest keeping an eye out for a new Ping offering in this category that'll be made public next month - really, really liked it!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I've still got a tmag sldr mini driver 12* and I like it a lot. It's not a driver replacement for me by any means but I catch one every once and a while that's pretty stinking long. No problem off the deck either. I find that it can be a little spinny but I don't mind that in my fairway wood. I use mine as a fairway wood replacement to gap between my low lofted driver and long irons. Although I think they could be great for people looking for a driver replacement.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I gamed an X2 Hot 2 Deep at 12* the last 2 years -- would use it when I was struggling with the driver and the thing was a BOMB off the tee.  Off the deck, however, it produced mostly low bullets.  The new BB Mini is supposedly better off the deck, but I've found the best combo results with a strong 3 wood.  

Right now I'm testing out the Wilson FG Tour F5 13.5* adjustable model set to 12.5*.  It has a shallower face than the 2 deep, so it's not as forgiving off the tee, but it's a hell of a lot easier to his off the deck, and it's plenty long.  Really good club.

I would also suggest keeping an eye out for a new Ping offering in this category that'll be made public next month - really, really liked it!

low bullets are good if it rolls for 30 yards....  seriously!   I've learned from previous experience.... 13 degree is still good for me.  Below that.... I couldn't hit it off the deck.  

Also would a 13 degree 3 wood made of titanium face would do the job?   I think Mizuno made something like this about 7 years ago....

low bullets are good if it rolls for 30 yards....  seriously!   I've learned from previous experience.... 13 degree is still good for me.  Below that.... I couldn't hit it off the deck.  

Also would a 13 degree 3 wood made of titanium face would do the job?   I think Mizuno made something like this about 7 years ago....

The Adams XTD Ti fairway lineup are all titanium and are cannons. I have the 13.5* and 15* woods and both are long as can be while easy to hit off the deck.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

One of my buddies games senior shaft Cleveland irons and wants more SS on his driver. So I am looking for a mini 12* regular shaft like an aero burner mini. He's willing to pay $100 to test the theory that his SS will increase and he'll hit it longer than his driver.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I've preferred a strong 3 wood over the mini drivers I've tried but that's more a personal preference then anything. It just looks better to me.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I had a SLDR Mini prototype. Also had a Cleveland Unicorn, sorry HiBore 2 wood. They're great off the tee and will end up 10-20 yards short of your driver. They suck off the deck for the most part. You can nuke them off a tight lie but any rough and they bog down. They turned out pretty useless for me unless it was a shorter course

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Its called a 3-wood.   :D

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Also had a Cleveland Unicorn, sorry HiBore 2 wood. They're great off the tee and will end up 10-20 yards short of your driver. They suck off the deck for the most part. You can nuke them off a tight lie but any rough and they bog down. They turned out pretty useless for me unless it was a shorter course

I agree, the Hibore 2 wood can be useful as a "specialty club," great off a tee for shorter/tight courses but not as long as a driver, or as flexible as a standard fairway wood.

I used one as a driver when I was starting out and still have the head.  At some point, I may re-shaft it for use on a couple of local courses that have tight fairways.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I hadn't jumped into this conversation because I thought the topic was about the singer/actress.  :)

I would never tee off with a FW unless I needed it for a par 3.  I don't hit it any straighter than my driver.  If I need a shorter shot, I have a variety of ways to hit a shorter driver shot, but on most courses I play I need all the yardage I can get.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

One of my buddies games senior shaft Cleveland irons and wants more SS on his driver. So I am looking for a mini 12* regular shaft like an aero burner mini. He's willing to pay $100 to test the theory that his SS will increase and he'll hit it longer than his driver.

If your buddy is playing senior shafted irons, why would he want a regular flex in a mini driver?  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

For years, my best club in the bag for truly "quality shots" has been a 3+ (basically a two wood loft and a three wood shaft).  First one was a Callaway Warbird, then a TM R9, now a TM Rocketballz tp "Tour Spoon."  Best 3+ shots off the tee are only a bit shorter than best drivers.  When I'm swinging the 3+ good, its awesome off the deck.  Just seems to 'explode', a very satisfying feeling that I never get with a Driver.  I've not compared it to whatever is known as the mini driver, but I expect its just a larger head version of the 3+.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Best one, TEE makes an 11.5 degree strong 3wd. In right hand.

what's the headsize? I've never cared for the larger headed 3 woods like ping tends to make, my gamer is a Nike VR speed in no small part because of how compact it looks behind the ball but this sounds kinda interesting if it looked the part and performed.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

If your buddy is playing senior shafted irons, why would he want a regular flex in a mini driver?

He's tried seniors hated drivers and prefers the regular shaft

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I would think you need a good bit of swing speed to get any real benefit from a mini driver, sort of like a smaller tour head driver versus a game improvement head. Of course I suppose you could also say it's a larger 3-wood head too so it could go both ways.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

I would think you need a good bit of swing speed to get any real benefit from a mini driver, sort of like a smaller tour head driver versus a game improvement head. Of course I suppose you could also say it's a larger 3-wood head too so it could go both ways.

I would think it would be fine for lower swing speeds. Mine spins a decent bit even though it's paired with an X shaft. Put a regular in there and they should he fine as a driver replacement.

• 2 months later...

Divot.com's got the Aeroburner mini driver @ $119.99 new.....................only 14* or 16*, but makes me think about trying it.

I have the Bio Cell 3/4 W and 5/7 W ....so with that adjustability, why would i want to use the 14*?

Maybe to replace my Driver & 3W, so I could add a 60* wedge(already have 45/49/53/57).

Any thoughts?

The appeal of the mini-driver to me was that one can tee the ball lower and play it less far left in the stance at address.  If it's just the extra loft desired, one can get 14, 15, and 16º in a big titanium driver once one looks beyond the major OEMs. 

If you can tee the ball high, play it well left of inside your left heel, and make solid contact consistently under those conditions, the 460cc club is probably a very forgiving one.  I hit them foul pole to foul pole, so I never committed to them.  I got all the distance that I needed and straighter hits from a 2-wood or "tour spoon" type club.  Any place requiring longer drives were not the appropriate length courses for me.

But for those who hit them well, the mini driver would seem less necessary unless one can hit a very strong lofted club from the deck.

I think about this every time I play. I strike my irons pretty crisply, but my driver is a struggle. I used to play the first model Biggest Big Bertha and loved it. 10* and a slightly shorter shaft, I was a fantastic driver. I moved away from it to try for more distance but sometimes I think it is time to put it back in the bag. Model driver shafts are quite a bit longer than they used to be.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up an SLDR mini 14 last year and while it works very well for me, I lose too much distance from my Driver. Being an old short hitter I need every inch of carry and roll I can get. I also don't see that much difference in the SLDR mini and my TE 4 wood, maybe 10 yards or so.

Driver: Callaway XR

Fairway: Callaway XR - 4 wood, 7 wood

Fairway: Callaway Big Bertha - Divine 9 wood

Irons: Ping G25 - 4 to U wedge

Wedges: Hopkins 54 & 58

Putter: A variety of Odyssey Putters

I picked up an SLDR mini 14 last year and while it works very well for me, I lose too much distance from my Driver. Being an old short hitter I need every inch of carry and roll I can get. I also don't see that much difference in the SLDR mini and my TE 4 wood, maybe 10 yards or so.

Try the 12. Should gain some distance.

Got to try the new Taylormade the other day. I recommend giving it a shot, that sucker is HOT!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Would like to talk about a different kind of mini driver...

I went back and read the article about shaft length after posting (#24)

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-is-longer-really-longer/

I have a question for the club builders and fitters here. My TM R11 stock shaft is 45.75". What happens if I lop 1-2" of the end? It will affect swing weight. Can that be adjusted and corrected for?

Is it just easier to get fitted for a new, shorter shaft? What would my cheapest avenue be?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Would like to talk about a different kind of mini driver...

I went back and read the article about shaft length after posting (#24)

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-is-longer-really-longer/

I have a question for the club builders and fitters here. My TM R11 stock shaft is 45.75". What happens if I lop 1-2" of the end? It will affect swing weight. Can that be adjusted and corrected for?

Is it just easier to get fitted for a new, shorter shaft? What would my cheapest avenue be?

It will affect your swing weight but I'm not the guy to tell you by how much. Personally I like a short driver. My gamer is only 44" 

Edit: full disclosure, I don't know any of my clubs swing weight.

guys guys, some update,

I finally picked up wishon fairway/driver.  Built to specs about 43 1/4" length (my driver is 44.5").  I only hitting it 10 yards shorter than my driver.   My only complain the shape of the head at address.... it looks smaller than the tmag mini driver and it's not a pear shape.   I will try to put it in my bag for the rest of the season. 

Archived