Mini Driver

superduper

I would think you need a good bit of swing speed to get any real benefit from a mini driver, sort of like a smaller tour head driver versus a game improvement head. Of course I suppose you could also say it's a larger 3-wood head too so it could go both ways.

I would think it would be fine for lower swing speeds. Mine spins a decent bit even though it's paired with an X shaft. Put a regular in there and they should he fine as a driver replacement.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

• 2 months later...

Divot.com's got the Aeroburner mini driver @ $119.99 new.....................only 14* or 16*, but makes me think about trying it.

I have the Bio Cell 3/4 W and 5/7 W ....so with that adjustability, why would i want to use the 14*?

Maybe to replace my Driver & 3W, so I could add a 60* wedge(already have 45/49/53/57).

Any thoughts?

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

The appeal of the mini-driver to me was that one can tee the ball lower and play it less far left in the stance at address.  If it's just the extra loft desired, one can get 14, 15, and 16º in a big titanium driver once one looks beyond the major OEMs. 

If you can tee the ball high, play it well left of inside your left heel, and make solid contact consistently under those conditions, the 460cc club is probably a very forgiving one.  I hit them foul pole to foul pole, so I never committed to them.  I got all the distance that I needed and straighter hits from a 2-wood or "tour spoon" type club.  Any place requiring longer drives were not the appropriate length courses for me.

But for those who hit them well, the mini driver would seem less necessary unless one can hit a very strong lofted club from the deck.

I think about this every time I play. I strike my irons pretty crisply, but my driver is a struggle. I used to play the first model Biggest Big Bertha and loved it. 10* and a slightly shorter shaft, I was a fantastic driver. I moved away from it to try for more distance but sometimes I think it is time to put it back in the bag. Model driver shafts are quite a bit longer than they used to be.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up an SLDR mini 14 last year and while it works very well for me, I lose too much distance from my Driver. Being an old short hitter I need every inch of carry and roll I can get. I also don't see that much difference in the SLDR mini and my TE 4 wood, maybe 10 yards or so.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway XR

Fairway: Callaway XR - 4 wood, 7 wood

Fairway: Callaway Big Bertha - Divine 9 wood

Irons: Ping G25 - 4 to U wedge

Wedges: Hopkins 54 & 58

Putter: A variety of Odyssey Putters

I picked up an SLDR mini 14 last year and while it works very well for me, I lose too much distance from my Driver. Being an old short hitter I need every inch of carry and roll I can get. I also don't see that much difference in the SLDR mini and my TE 4 wood, maybe 10 yards or so.

Try the 12. Should gain some distance.

Got to try the new Taylormade the other day. I recommend giving it a shot, that sucker is HOT!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Would like to talk about a different kind of mini driver...

I went back and read the article about shaft length after posting (#24)

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-is-longer-really-longer/

I have a question for the club builders and fitters here. My TM R11 stock shaft is 45.75". What happens if I lop 1-2" of the end? It will affect swing weight. Can that be adjusted and corrected for?

Is it just easier to get fitted for a new, shorter shaft? What would my cheapest avenue be?

• Like 1

Would like to talk about a different kind of mini driver...

I went back and read the article about shaft length after posting (#24)

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-is-longer-really-longer/

I have a question for the club builders and fitters here. My TM R11 stock shaft is 45.75". What happens if I lop 1-2" of the end? It will affect swing weight. Can that be adjusted and corrected for?

Is it just easier to get fitted for a new, shorter shaft? What would my cheapest avenue be?

It will affect your swing weight but I'm not the guy to tell you by how much. Personally I like a short driver. My gamer is only 44" 

Edit: full disclosure, I don't know any of my clubs swing weight.

guys guys, some update,

I finally picked up wishon fairway/driver.  Built to specs about 43 1/4" length (my driver is 44.5").  I only hitting it 10 yards shorter than my driver.   My only complain the shape of the head at address.... it looks smaller than the tmag mini driver and it's not a pear shape.   I will try to put it in my bag for the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

guys guys, some update,

I finally picked up wishon fairway/driver.  Built to specs about 43 1/4" length (my driver is 44.5").  I only hitting it 10 yards shorter than my driver.   My only complain the shape of the head at address.... it looks smaller than the tmag mini driver and it's not a pear shape.   I will try to put it in my bag for the rest of the season. 

Nice! Glad to hear.

I was hitting the Mizuno JPX EZ 13* and was very impressed. Anywhere on the face it took off with the same flight. 

I still game the SLDR mini 14* for when the driver goes south. Pretty darn straight and maybe 20 yards short of a driver. Can't manage it off the deck though thus the 4 wood in the bag.

Driver: Callaway XR

Fairway: Callaway XR - 4 wood, 7 wood

Fairway: Callaway Big Bertha - Divine 9 wood

Irons: Ping G25 - 4 to U wedge

Wedges: Hopkins 54 & 58

Putter: A variety of Odyssey Putters

I have the X2hot 3 Deep in my bag and it fits what I need. Hit the 2 Deep today at my club and it was impressive. A touch harder to hit off the deck than the 3 Deep but it is manageable. Makes me want to go check out the Callaway mini 1.5 now.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In the Bag for 2021

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5* MMT 60x

:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15* MMT 70x

:callaway-small: Apex UW 17* HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 6.5

:callaway-small: X Forged UT 24* MMT 105TX

:callaway-small: Apex Pro 5 - AW Steelfiber 115x

:callaway-small: PM Grind 2.0 54* $ 58* KBS $ Taper 120 Black

:ping-small: B90

I just started playing the 16* sldr mini driver.  I picked mine up on ebay for 50 bucks.   I hit it roughly 40 yards shorter than my driver, and have no trouble hitting it off the deck.  For me: it's primary function will be for long par 5's, and for when my driver isn't cooperating.   It will rotate in and out of my bag based on the course I play.  In my opinion it was a fantastic purchase. 

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

• 2 weeks later...

I used to go this route myself. I used a 3 deep for a couple seasons. I found that it fantastic off the tee, and on my good swing days, pretty good off the deck into par 5's. Problem I had off the deck was launch angle. Just not high enough to carry obstacles. So I spent some time with my driver hitting 3/4 shots and knockdowns, got to the point where I didn't really need the 3 deep anymore and moved on to conventional 3 woods again. My gapping is better now, and my ability to go after par 5's with confidence is back. So while I do like those mini drivers, I feel they limit your ability to score.

Taylormade M1 8.5 Rogue 70x

Callaway 816 14* Speeder

Callaway 815 hybrid 18* Speeder

3-P Taylormade PSI Tour KBS S+

Titliest SM5 52/58

Machine M20 Aluminum Bronze

You can pick a NEW TM Aeroburner Mini Driver off ebay now with free shipping for less than $100.  When you find one, check the company, then go to the TM website (In the link below). They will give you a complete list of authorized TM ebay sellers.

http://taylormadegolf.com/shared-customer-service/customerService-authorizedonline.html

I just picked one up for $89 shipped, from tee2green6931. It came in the mail yesterday, got her in 2 days.  Can't wait to try it out tomorrow afternoon.  Actually had a $50 ebay coupon and $22 left in my PP account from selling some old clubs so I basically only paid $17 for the club....What a Deal!!!

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

• 4 weeks later...

Find a Taylormade V Steel tour spoon 13°on ebay and put a mid/high launch shaft in it. I put a UST Proforce in mine and it took off. Easy to hit off the deck and tee. Ball goes where you want it and plenty of distance.

• 4 weeks later...

I still game the SLDR mini 14* for when the driver goes south. Pretty darn straight and maybe 20 yards short of a driver. Can't manage it off the deck though thus the 4 wood in the bag.

Similar experience here Zeff. I no longer carry Driver and play 2 iron off fairways.

Mizuno JPX 825 4-G

Ping G25 Driver

Ping G400 Crossover 19*

Seemore Putter