TESTERS WANTED! ×

Favorite Iron Shafts

GolfSpy Barbajo

Do you guys have iron shafts that you gravitate toward?  What have you been fit into?  Anything you've tried that you can't stand?

I was fit into KBS C-Tapers last year and gamed them all season. It's a pretty stout shaft but it worked for me.  I'm wondering if, with another year in the books, if it's still right.

What do you game, and why?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I've been pointed toward lighter shafts over the past two years, I previously fitted three iron sets in a row with Aldila NV Pro 105s. Until I became the hopeless geriatric that I am now, they were by far my favorite iron shaft. They play not that radically differently from standard TT Dynamic Golds, but they're a little lighter and much easier on the hands.

I don't know much about shafts. When I was demoing irons 3 years ago, I tried Dynamic Gold, KBS, Nippon and a few others I can't recall. I ended up putting KBS Tour stiff in them. They just felt the best to me and the launch angle and flight what I wanted. That's about as in depth as it gets for me...lol.

I've been bagging C-tapers in all my irons and wedges for the past 2 seasons. I won't be changing any time soon

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Dynamic Gold. It pretty much out-numbered every shaft by a factor of 10 in it's heyday and it's probably still one of the best sellers without question. I played the majority of my life with these but I'm getting a little older now, so I switched.

Brief on/off time with KBS Tour but they soon gave way to my latest pairing: Nippon 1150GH.

Great shaft with good tolerance and performance. Can't see myself playing much else in the next few years.

There is one caveat however: I always play DG in my wedges regardless. If there's a better shaft to give the spin, trajectory and feel you want from a full shot down to a baby pitch, then I haven't found it.

I play PX flighted in my irons and C-tapers in my wedges.

The irons i was fitted into and i love them but now that they are no longer made I have no idea what ill do when i get new clubs. R

The wedges I just kinda discovered on my own. They're soft stepped X flex and just have a good feel. No plans to change from them anytime soon.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I replaced the Dynalite 85s steel with Project X 5.0 Graphites this year and am enjoying my Bio Cell irons much more.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

My first love has been and probably always will be the old Hogan Apex shafts in a 4 flex - its what I cut my teeth on.  They wanted and rewarded a smooth transition.  It is said that the TT Dynalite is pretty similar, but I have never had them in my clubs.  The KBS Tour V's in stiff seem fairly similar but I think they are a little heavier so the feel isn't quite the same.

That said, I got pretty comfortable with Px non-flighted in a 6.0 flex and its an entirely different feel.  You really need to go after it with this shaft even to the point of having an aggressive transition.

I tend to end up swinging to the clubs I have - adjusting to them,  So over time I am not sure I have a current favorite anymore.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

I'm a graphite guy all the way now - that started about eight years ago -

Three of my last four iron fittings put me into something weighing around 65 grams - I'm currently gaming a Matrix Studio select shaft. 

The one outlier was when I was fit on the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer - I read lots of good stuff about it but I have to say that I'm not a fan - I could not hit those irons well at all and it really was a shame - those irons lasted about 3 months in my bag when the reality is that they should still be there.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm currently playing the stock Taylormade Superfast 65 graphite shafts in my Burner 2.0 irons, but if I were to consider changing shafts, I'd first try Paderson iron shafts, based on the performance I've gotten with the Paderson shaft in my driver.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I'm currently playing the stock Taylormade Superfast 65 graphite shafts in my Burner 2.0 irons, but if I were to consider changing shafts, I'd first try Paderson iron shafts, based on the performance I've gotten with the Paderson shaft in my driver.

Bones had a set in his irons for a while and loved them. Worth looking into if you like the driver shaft.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I had a fitting back in 2012 and had the tightest dispersion and most consistent distances with KBS Tour in X stiff , so I went with those in my 4-PW and soft stepped them 1x. After reading about some swing theories with wedges and knowing that I rarely take full swings with them , I did black nickel KBS Tour in Stiff with a 8 iron shafts in my 50, 55 and 60. 

I've lost some of my consistency with my wedges lately and haven;t been able to get the stick and sit i've wanted and wanted to try something, so I just put in a set of KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 in X stiff in my wedges and made them all the same length as my PW (idea borrowed from BIG STU).

I haven't had the chance to hit the Hi-Revs yet, but will post some thoughts when I get the chance

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

My first love has been and probably always will be the old Hogan Apex shafts in a 4 flex - its what I cut my teeth on.  They wanted and rewarded a smooth transition.  It is said that the TT Dynalite is pretty similar, but I have never had them in my clubs.  The KBS Tour V's in stiff seem fairly similar but I think they are a little heavier so the feel isn't quite the same.

Local club fitter here told me he bought up a bunch of the Apex 4 shafts -- absolutely LOVED those.  May see if he can install  set for me, just for old times sake.  

I'll find out what he has left for stock...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

For 20 years all I had played were TTDG X100's and there was no deviation from that model. I had two sets of KBS shafts in my Adams MB2s and now with my Hogans I went with the Recoil 110s. After switching to the Recoils I am not sure that I would ever go back to steel at this point since I love the feel and it takes less of a toll on my joints.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Last year I was fitted for some DG X7's and I loved them. A few months ago I happened apon a combo set of mp59/69 with PX 6.5 in them. I hated them at first bc it was easy for me to overpower the shaft it would feel whippy. Finally I figured out that I could swing just as hard as long as I controlled my tempo and the shaft would do just fine. This has actually helped my game bc it has forced me to be very in control of my swing. Which I admit could get a little wild at times. Overall I still like both shafts, they are just very different.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Recoil 660 F3 are my favorites... I have tried 2 other composite type shafts and the Recoils have more feel, less boardy, and a predictably higher launch.  If I had to go back to actual steel shafts it would be the Nippon 65 gram shaft in regular.. also a good shaft for me.. 

I play the FST 90 in my irons and hybrids. Why? Because they're light and they were cheap. But I really like the shaft and at this point in time, it works for me and my swing.

I may look at graphite in the future but the FST's are great for mine.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I have always been a DG man. Currently playing a set of DG S-300 high launch soft tipped except the 56 and 60 wedges they have the KBS wedge shafts which I am starting to like a lot. My buddy the Miura dealer likes the KBS shafts period he said if he was building a set of Miura irons with steel shafts he would reccomend the KBS. In fact I have a new KBS coming and he is going to fix it and dial in the frequency for me and put it in a Miura Baby Blade head and let me try it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I switched this year from stiff KBS tours, that always felt very stout, but I always felt as though they were too much shaft for me, and I could not get any distance from them, I wanted something lighter so I went with the stiff TT XP 95's, they have good feel, and also have gotten some distance back with them.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I play the FST 90 in my irons and hybrids. Why? Because they're light and they were cheap. But I really like the shaft and at this point in time, it works for me and my swing.

I may look at graphite in the future but the FST's are great for mine.

I have that same shaft in my 2014 Infiniti TS-10 forged CB irons. It works pretty good in those sticks. Mine are stiff tipped. Yep FST shafts are made by KBS

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I've always played project x's but this year I tried out KBS tour v's. Seemed like I hit the long irons much higher with the KBS compared to the Project X. Mid and short irons I didn't really notice much difference. It was nice going into long par 3's but I think I like the feel of the Project X's overall. So next year I'll go back to them.

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

I was fit a year ago for S400 and I've loved them ever since! I've tried a bunch of others, tinkering, but I'm resolute in gaming these for the long haul. The only other iron shaft I'd go to would be Nippon Modus3 Tour 120X...

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

UST ProForce 95 graphite... and they don't make them anymore. :mad:

Welcome to my world

Always been a dgx100 iron guy and s400 in the wedges... I mean for years! Until I went through a proper fitting and came up that they are a good fit, BUT I can not freaking miss with Modus. I mean from a consistency standpoint it's laughable how straight I hit them. Nice high smash factor and then chalk line straight.

Still want to hit a few more with Steelfiber and rip tour shafts before I make a final determination.

I played X100 for year and then got fitted and found out the Project X 7.0 is the shaft for me. I have been playing it for 3 years and it's been great. I recently went to TPI to get fitted again and the Project X was still the best. It beat the C-Taper, Modus 130x and Tour Issue X100.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

UST ProForce 95 graphite...  and they don't make them anymore.   :mad:

Yeah that sucks don't it. A friend of mine bought some of them on a closeout a few years ago I ended up putting them in a set of S-55s for him and he is still hitting them. I love the Pro Force 65 golds in the woods though and the new ones are nothing like the older ones

G

I've flirted with and used several different iron shafts, but I always return to DG Tour Issue S400's hardstepped.  The new PX shaft coming after the first of the year, though, has tested promising in the 6 iron shaft I got to test.  I'm waiting on them to come available so I can get a full set to test from my TT contact.  He can't PUD them until closer to release (around the PGA show).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I've flirted with and used several different iron shafts, but I always return to DG Tour Issue S400's hardstepped. The new PX shaft coming after the first of the year, though, has tested promising in the 6 iron shaft I got to test. I'm waiting on them to come available so I can get a full set to test from my TT contact. He can't PUD them until closer to release (around the PGA show).

In plain English please. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived