Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

EBay Iron set purchase--then replace shafts?

Back in the day, I used to do a little club assembly, regripping, etc., when I had a big house and basement.  Now, in a Florida high rise condo, no way.

So, in other threads I've mentioned drooling over the Hogans and have been watching listings on EBay.  There have been some quite attractive listings, as low as $70 per club.  But the listings are all over the place on the shafts.  Lot of xstiffs and regs, or cut down, etc.  I haven't seen one of the really good deals with my shaft profile (stiff and +1/2).  So, thinking what if I bought one of the good deals and just had them reshafted?  What am I looking at per club to get a good shaft bought and installed, with grip?  Low enough to make it worthwhile to chase one of the lower priced sets, I hope.

Thx for any input.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

What shaft do you want to put in them and what grips do you want to use?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm not sure, either do the shaft optimizer thing, or get something close to what I have (nippon pro steel, 950 stiff), decent grips.  I like steel v. graphite, so I'm figuring most of my options would be about the same cost.  Essentially, what I'm asking is whether this strategy is feasible? 

I was looking into this as well. I just did a quick fitting and even though I already have x-flex shafts they still aren't stiff enough. C-tapers are as good a fit as I can get but they are $37 for each shaft doesn't matter the flex. The you have to add grip and shafting costs. There are probably a few cheaper options but it adds up quick with s full set.

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

I'm not sure, either do the shaft optimizer thing, or get something close to what I have (nippon pro steel, 950 stiff), decent grips. I like steel v. graphite, so I'm figuring most of my options would be about the same cost. Essentially, what I'm asking is whether this strategy is feasible?

It's feasible but I don't think you're gonna come out ahead unless you had a friend or something do the work for cheap or free. At golfsmith they charge $20 a club to do reshafting.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

If you aren't going to do the work yourself, or have a friend do it for little to nothing, you most likely aren't going to come out ahead.

Figure it this way, most shops are going to charge you $15-$20 per club for the reshafting.  Then add in the cost of the shaft $15-$40 each depending on what you go with and a grip say $5.  On the low end you are adding $30-$35 per club on on the higher end $60-$65 per club.  Based on your scenario looking at Hogans you may save a few bucks and end up with a used set, but it won't be a lot of savings.

I've actually done this a few times in the past.  Where I saved all the money though is that I did all the work myself.  I also already had the shafts and grips I was going to install.  Then I sold the shaft pulls from the ebay set and recouped a little bit more money.

edit: I will add in this though, if any of those good deals on the irons come with nicer (i.e. more expensive) shafts you may be able to recoup some cost by selling the pulls.  Then if you also bought a set of pulls for the replacement shafts and found a friend to install them you could still get by with a pretty good deal.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I was looking into this as well. I just did a quick fitting and even though I already have x-flex shafts they still aren't stiff enough. C-tapers are as good a fit as I can get but they are $37 for each shaft doesn't matter the flex. The you have to add grip and shafting costs. There are probably a few cheaper options but it adds up quick with s full set.

Pretty much the only thing lower than Ctaper X is DG x100, PX 7.0 (not pxi 7.0) and DG X7. Unless you wanna talk unicorns like Monacos or some Nippons super preening blues in X.

As for you OP, you could come out better but only if you do the work yourself. Even dicks is 10 per club.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

If you can find the clubs in stiff shafts, just extend them.  A 1/2" extension won't affect the flex at all.  

Shaft extensions run about $10 for 4 club extensions (each does two clubs), extension epoxy $5.00, grips $30.00 (Golfworks has some buy 6 get 6 free) and grip tape and solvent $8.

For about $60 shipped you'll have everything you need.  You'll still need a hacksaw and a vice, maybe you can find a small one that clamps to a counter.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Thx all.  Pretty much what I was expecting.  I'll let you know what and when I decide to do something.  

The shaft extension idea I hadn't thought of.  Thanks deejaid.

Hey Jax, remember those Cobra Bio Cells with the Dynalite 85S steel shafts? Well, I replaced the shafts with Graphite Project X 5.0's for $17.50 per shaft.  They are working out great for me.  That said, the Dynalite 85s shafts are sitting in my garage.  If you find a great deal on the irons, I could send you the shafts.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Hey Jax, remember those Cobra Bio Cells with the Dynalite 85S steel shafts? Well, I replaced the shafts with Graphite Project X 5.0's for $17.50 per shaft.  They are working out great for me.  That said, the Dynalite 85s shafts are sitting in my garage.  If you find a great deal on the irons, I could send you the shafts.

Thanks Foz!  I'll keep that in mind.  

Ok, rather than flying blind on the shafts (since my last club fitting was 6 1/2 years ago), I scheduled a fitting tomorrow at Golftec (I get a club fitting as part of the package I purchased).  They do have the Mizuno shaft optimizer.  So at least I'll know the basic specs for the shafts.  I'll of course experiment with the different heads as well.  They have Mizuno, Callaway, Ping and TM fitting carts, I believe.  Looking to try a couple of the Mizunos as well as getting the shaft info.  More to follow.

Back in the day, I used to do a little club assembly, regripping, etc., when I had a big house and basement.  Now, in a Florida high rise condo, no way.

So, in other threads I've mentioned drooling over the Hogans and have been watching listings on EBay.  There have been some quite attractive listings, as low as $70 per club.  But the listings are all over the place on the shafts.  Lot of xstiffs and regs, or cut down, etc.  I haven't seen one of the really good deals with my shaft profile (stiff and +1/2).  So, thinking what if I bought one of the good deals and just had them reshafted?  What am I looking at per club to get a good shaft bought and installed, with grip?  Low enough to make it worthwhile to chase one of the lower priced sets, I hope.

Thx for any input.

Actually all you need is a mini torch and a cooking glove.  You do not need a workshop to reshaft irons.   Heat the hosel for 30 seconds (if they have steel shafts), and pull the head with your hands (twist it).  It will come loose....  but a swing weight scale and a tape measure would be good.   And the next thing you need is an epoxy (I like hireko's).    

Ok, rather than flying blind on the shafts (since my last club fitting was 6 1/2 years ago), I scheduled a fitting tomorrow at Golftec (I get a club fitting as part of the package I purchased).  They do have the Mizuno shaft optimizer.  So at least I'll know the basic specs for the shafts.  I'll of course experiment with the different heads as well.  They have Mizuno, Callaway, Ping and TM fitting carts, I believe.  Looking to try a couple of the Mizunos as well as getting the shaft info.  More to follow.

Just got back from the fitting.  Very instructive and helpful.  Going to do a separate post I think on the fitting, since its not really on topic here, but net result is I should either be hitting standard lie or at most half a degree upright, versus the 1.75 to 2 degrees upright of my current clubs.  Still stiff, but barely.  Recommended shafts include the TT XP 115 (which are s300, coincidentally, the same as the fitting of my old DCIs 10 years ago) and the Nippon NS Pro stiff, which is the same shaft as my current clubs, just the next level heavier.  Hit the MP 15s and 25s, the Ping i and the Callaway Apex CF 16.  Loved the MP 15s, hit them the best and felt the best, but damn, those Apex's fly.  Got a good club to club and a half more distance with it.  

Relating to my Hogan question, I think I established I can hit that type of club (only one off the center of the club face hit all session) and the results were equal to or better than my R9s.  My pro agrees.  And my shaft profile is a lot more standard now, including length.  So, if I were to go the hogan route, I'll have a lot of options where I won't have to reshaft.  Mission accomplished.

Good call on GolfTec, I got fit there, however you don't get to see the ball flight, pure computer numbers.

Don't forget the ferrules and make sure they're the same OD as your club heads.

I bought my current clubs on eBay, pulled the shafts myself and resold them on eBay, bought some used shafts that were what I wanted, and reinstalled them, very simple and cheap to do. YouTube and this site are helpful.

Also if getting new shafts or cutting down longer shafts, I highly recommend getting a pipe cutter, like this, much easier to control than a hacksaw and very clean cut.

609F4B2C-D210-4AC4-8F5B-DDAEEDE67D33_zps

Re gripping kits are cheap these days and they have the 2 sided tape and solvent, or you can go with Pure grips and use a compressor if you have one, so nice and easy.

As others have said, you won't really save any money to have a shop do it for you, might as well buy new if you go that route

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Make sure if you're using a pipe cutter that it's not plumbing grade and is made to cut steel. If it's not, the wheels wear out very quickly. Mine is a Swagelock that's made to cut stainless tubing. I got it taking their class for work.

I'd go with extensions if you can find the right flex. Extensions will be fine as long as you don't have to extend them more than an inch and a quarter. After that you run the risk of the flex being altered and the bond being weakened from the torque put on it

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived