Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Global economy

superduper

I've heard some talks regarding the slowing down economy.  Well my company just did a yearly report and our sales are down (we are a computer hardware company).   I've heard some european countries are slowing down.  And yes, asian countries.   China is not doing so good (even their currency is just been opted as the the reserve currecy).  Is this true or not?   how long will it last?

maybe some financial analysyt here can give some feedback... what's going on in the world?

I've heard some talks regarding the slowing down economy.  Well my company just did a yearly report and our sales are down (we are a computer hardware company).   I've heard some european countries are slowing down.  And yes, asian countries.   China is not doing so good (even their currency is just been opted as the the reserve currecy).  Is this true or not?   how long will it last?

maybe some financial analysyt here can give some feedback... what's going on in the world?

From what I understand China is just about in recession mode. Their government is basically holding up the stock market trying to keep it from a collapse. European countries are still all over the place recovering from the 2008-2009 class.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

The U.S. is still looking good.  People are buying, construction is very strong.  We are, in fact, holding up ourselves.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Can't copy and paste or quote here at the office for some reason but to add to Foz's comment...

The U.S. economy is awful Foz. Over 90 million not in the workforce. They can't find work or dropped out. We're 18 trillion in debt. That's $50 something thousand dollars for every person in the U.S.; including children. And what do we do? Keep spending and (holding up ourselves) printing (fake) money we don't have. One day... one day our day of reckoning-reality will happen. That dollar you have in your account will be 25 cents. If you're lucky. Some "smart" government guy will take the mic on TV and announce to everyone that they just didn't see it coming and are shocked. But sorry folks. It has to. Other than that all is sunny and rosy. To make this an official golf post.... boy I wish I was playing today.

(sorry for jumping into the weeds but I couldn't help it.)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

From what I understand China is just about in recession mode. Their government is basically holding up the stock market trying to keep it from a collapse. European countries are still all over the place recovering from the 2008-2009 class.

Yes I've read that that they devalued their currency on purpose....  it must be cheap now traveling to China.  And I'm confused if they are in recession.  Just about any consumer good maker now outsources their factory in China, including Tmag and Callaway.  

We're paralyzed by timidity--the desire to correct radical problems with moderate solutions.

I guess that's why I'm still an unapologetic 1960s style militant proletarian!

I don't look like one in my stuffy bathrobe and slippers, but the minute I open my mouth, I give myself away. 

It's bad all over...  But the US economy basically sucks the least (for now), so we'll likely remain the best positioned over the long haul.  It will likely be a volatile year.  

High levels of stock market price volatility is a reflection of investor anxiety which serves as a self-reinforcing mechanism. As volatility rises, investor anxiety tends to rise, which leads to more volatility – well, you get the picture.

We're also in a US Presidential election year.  The  VIX  volatility  index,  increases  as  the  probable  winner  of  the  presidential  election  becomes  less  uncertain.  The  association  between  implied  volatility  and  the  election  probability  of  the  eventual  winner  is  positive  even  after  controlling for changes in overall election uncertainty. These findings indicate that the presidential election process engenders market anxiety as investors form and revise their expectations regarding future macroeconomic policy. 

Despite the "gloom & doom," we're a resource rich country, and that's not going to change.

The markets go up & down and when stocks prices are driven below their market value, it's a buying opportunity ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

The issues in China are global now with the market hitting the circuit breaker three times already this year and while we enjoy cheaper gasoline the oil price is hurting the economy as a whole right now.  I can trade some decent high yield paper right now at sub 8% which is about a 25% haircut to a few months back.  Lots of volatility right now and hard to point fingers at where the fundamental issues are.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Any chance the Chinese economy gets bad enough they call in the $$ they have loaned to everybody?

That is some of the fear as their currency is getting weaker by the day. Not sure of the provisions but most LTD does have a call feature built in. More of an issue is the short term money that they are putting In the market which is drying up and hurts liquidity. They blew billions in the Bahamas on Baha Mar and the sorts have not even opened yet or will anytime soon. I have a bit of money from China invested in some of my US projects and on my way today to LA to discuss the future. Doubt I am going to like the answer.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Our economy by its very nature will always be boom and bust and with globalization it's only amplified

Problem is too much service based industry and tech advances limiting opportunity.

Funny thing is people who campaign on getting jobs, but that is not the government's role. if anything these tax breaks/ subsidies and loopholes have only caused a bigger mess.

Not to mention Credit, by the financial industry in the forms of mortgages, loans etc, has been one of the most bitter sweet relationships

Hopping off the soap box now.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Our economy by its very nature will always be boom and bust and with globalization it's only amplified

Problem is too much service based industry and tech advances limiting opportunity.

Funny thing is people who campaign on getting jobs, but that is not the government's role. if anything these tax breaks/ subsidies and loopholes have only caused a bigger mess.

Not to mention Credit, by the financial industry in the forms of mortgages, loans etc, has been one of the most bitter sweet relationships

Hopping off the soap box now.

DOOM

You're right Fire. It's not the government's job to create jobs. It's their job to get out of the way and let people like you and me do that. Our Constitution only allows for 8 things - prerogatives if you will -  the "government" can do. But... we've let them..  by our votes and laziness take over/regulate almost every aspect of our lives.

Enjoy your day on the course everyone.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Plaid Jacket doesn't join my cry for bringing back WPA projects!

I personally would like to see a more comprehensive public sector and a more heavily regulated private sector. Right now, from my perspective, of course, market solutions only serve to gouge consumers, exploit workers, and decimate the environment.

I'm not proud that American Exceptionalism means being the only developed nation on the planet without socialized medicine, and I'm not proud that education isn't accessible to many without taking on a lifetime of debt. I'm not proud that our workers don't get the protection and benefits of their Western European counterparts.

I'm not proud that we start wars for the express purpose, seemingly, of enriching war profiteers, and I'm not proud that we have private, run for profit prisons presently holding the most per capita prisoners in the whole world.

Ted Cruz recently disparaged my entire Northeast Region as having un-American values. Marco Rubio is upset that misogynists, racists, and homophobes are labeled haters for having "traditional values."
Americans are now the most polarized that we've been since the civil war. Coastal Urban America and Middle America may as well be completely different countries as far as basic values go.

Our best bet is to substantially increase our consumption of adult beverages, think about what amuses us, and avoid all discussion of serious subjects before we tear into one another. Our friend Plaid Jacket, whose posts I enjoy very much, is much more politically representative of Linkster Nation than I am. Golf is not a bastion of progressive liberalism. As a former labor activist, I know many clubs right where I am where I wouldn't be welcome. I wonder if I could even find a club to join in the South or Midwest.

So that's my soap box speech for this forum. Politics may only be successfully debated within a given ideology. There can be no debate without some common ground being stipulated. People who want totally different ways of living don't have the common ground. There's no debating what one wants or likes. The two polarized sides are NOT trying to debate different means to a common end or goal. In today's America, we seek completely different ends as well as means.

Archived