TESTERS WANTED! ×

Product Photos and Photography Discussion

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

Hey guys

I'm no professional photographer, but I've been experimenting with photography tricks etc lately. Go through my Instagram and you can see a lot of results of my experimentation. https://www.instagram.com/golfspymbp/

So thinking about product photos and more specific member reviews, I though it would be nice to share my techniques and maybe start a discussion to help everyone. Of course feel free to chime in with your own tips and suggestions there's a lot I can learn too.

Everything lately I've been shooting on my phone. With today's phones and technology anyone can take a great product shot with a little practice.

The Balls and BB-8

This photo is 2 white pieces of gloss photo paper, sitting on my dining room table. I've back lit using my iPad on a 100% white screen max brightness. The front is lit using an iPhone on 100% white screen. Keep in mind I took 20 photos moving around the light sources and in the end selecting the one that turned out the best.

Shot on manual:

f/1.8  1/154 .42mm  ISO150

monsta-bb8.jpg

After minor edits - Crop, Brightness, contrast and Saturation.

monsta-bb8.jpg

Nike RZN Proto

Sat these on a cutting board against white wall. Just moved things around looking for cool composition.

Shot in AUTO, tap to focus on front ball.

20160104_145924_HDR.jpg

rznproto.jpg

Captain Phasma

Shot in a pitch black room on a black piece of wood. This was lit using just an iPhone on 100% blue screen.

Shot on manual:

f/1.8  2s  4.42mm  ISO50

phasma.jpg

phasma-dark.jpg

Quick tips:

To get full screen colors on tablet or phones use a flashlight app or google and download pure color images.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=100%25+white+jpg&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=951&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBveKKoJjKAhVKbj4KHU-TC7kQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=white+jpg+background

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

DSC_0499.JPG

AF FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens

........still learning

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I like this. Just a backlight?

It was at the bar at the movie theater when I left seeing star wars

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I've seen a lot of good photos by members on here. Unfortunately I'm not one. Particularly I think some of the younger guys shoot some good stuff. Why? Don't know. I guess they are just better with all the digital stuff is all.

Next time I have something to share I'll see if I can up my game a little with MBP's advice. Maybe an old dog can learn a new trick or two.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've seen a lot of good photos by members on here. Unfortunately I'm not one. Particularly I think some of the younger guys shoot some good stuff. Why? Don't know. I guess they are just better with all the digital stuff is all.

Next time I have something to share I'll see if I can up my game a little with MBP's advice. Maybe an old dog can learn a new trick or two.

Upgrade your Samsung S5 to the Samsung Note 5,  that phone takes amazing pictures ...

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Thanks for the tips I am still learning on my G-6 but I will say one thing that camera sees and captures more detail than I can see with my eyes even with glasses on. I learned that doing the wedge testing photos.

BTW---- MBP I finally learned how to post pics I know you tried to help me but I had to have someone in person to show me.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I like what you're doing :) It's difficult to take good photos of golf equipment. Extremely difficult. The products may seem exciting to us, but how do you show it?

I can't stand the regular club photos. Flat. No life. I like it when Nike gives us some nice shots from The Oven. Not showing the clubs perfectly, but in an environment.

You guys know that I hate what wrx is doing when it comes to pictures. First to see every new product in the industry - "let's ruin readers perception of the products by taking crappy pictures!"

Did some work for a local golf store this winter. Experimented with their Instagram account to find a style that fits them. I kind of like this. Trying to show shapes and define the clubs. 

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.30.5

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.31.2

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.31.0

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.31.1

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.31.3

• SPY VIP

I like what you're doing :) It's difficult to take good photos of golf equipment. Extremely difficult. The products may seem exciting to us, but how do you show it?

I can't stand the regular club photos. Flat. No life. I like it when Nike gives us some nice shots from The Oven. Not showing the clubs perfectly, but in an environment.

You guys know that I hate what wrx is doing when it comes to pictures. First to see every new product in the industry - "let's ruin readers perception of the products by taking crappy pictures!"

Did some work for a local golf store this winter. Experimented with their Instagram account to find a style that fits them. I kind of like this. Trying to show shapes and define the clubs.

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.30.5

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.31.2

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.31.0

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.31.1

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.31.3

Couldn't agree more with the types of pics popping up elsewhere. Product needs to be shown but almost sexed up, bring in the dramatic.

Love these photos, I've been on a gear kit kick as off late myself. Mind sharing what you did to achieve them?

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

How do you deal with over head lights and the glare that sometimes happens when taking pictures. I had a hard time getting non glare shots for my bushnell review

Next time I have something to share I'll see if I can up my game a little with MBP's advice. Maybe an old dog can learn a new trick or two.

I just get my little brother to help with photos I'm probably the worst photographer in the millenials

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

How do you deal with over head lights and the glare that sometimes happens when taking pictures. I had a hard time getting non glare shots for my bushnell review

Turn them off....  :)  

Just playing.  If possible try and find a room with natural sunlight, You can also filter out some of that noise if you shoot in RAW and edit the picture, but that opens up another can of worms.

Maybe a seasoned photographer can chime in.  I am interested also.

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I try to use natural light. My shots were taken next to a window. No direct artificial lights.

A small tent and two lamps is all you need for perfect product images. Not very expensive, but not something you need if you're a "normal" person :) 

@MBP - The BB-8 and balls is something I would expect to see from Asia. Tourspecgolf-style :) 

All the pictures I've posted were taken with an iPhone 6 in the Instagram app. Filter used on some of them.

Natural light.

Breaking down the product into pieces if possible.

Try new angles.

You need to show the product in a different way than people normally see it.

Find the details that define the product. Like speed pocket on PSi. Rust on Engage. Weights on M1.

Never just take pictures from the angles that everyone can see when they hold the club, ball, shoe etc. Surprise them. Take a few minutes to look at the product and discover new ideas.

Get close.

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.58.2

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.59.0

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.59.3

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.59.4

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.58.4

• SPY VIP

This guy has shot for EVERY golf company in the industry.  Both in the past and present.  Amazing stories.  One of my favorite days was spent at his studio talkin shop.

And he is pretty well known in the beer world as well.

Talented fella that you guys might find interest in.

Here are some shots at his place.  Doesn't show it well, but trust me it was incredible.

FullSizeRender-(1332).jpg

IMG_202222.jpg

IMG_201822.jpg

IMG_20271.jpg

FullSizeRender-(135).jpg

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

This has pretty much been answered by others, but I'll chime. Easy answer: I don't.

If there's an overhead light and I'm force to use it I won't do direct overhead shots, I'll change the angle in which I'm taking the photo. I don't shoot many photos in the evening because it's harder to control the light in my place.

This again is a thread for non-professionals and we don't have all the gear a pro would have. So my advice is relocating shoots to where you can control the light. Maybe grab a bunch of lamps from around the house and light from the sides etc.

For my gear kit photos I can't do them in the evenings because of extreme overhead lighting so I wait until daytime. Then I open the blinds and maximize the daylight coming in from the side. The following photo is an example of that.

practice-kit-the-rest-1234.jpg

As you can see from this photo the huge glare caused by the overhead lighting in the evenings which would kill the shot. Man that bowl... I'm so messy.

Untitled-1.jpg

Here's a photo using that overhead light but shooting away from the edge of it's span. I've also used the iPad on the left to side light.

hydraover.jpg

One last tip if you need to use internal lights is to make sure they're not the warmer yellow tone lights. Try and use whiter lights, your shots will look cleaner.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• SPY VIP

@MBP - The BB-8 and balls is something I would expect to see from Asia. Tourspecgolf-style :)

All the pictures I've posted were taken with an iPhone 6 in the Instagram app. Filter used on some of them.

Natural light.

Breaking down the product into pieces if possible.

Try new angles.

You need to show the product in a different way than people normally see it.

Find the details that define the product. Like speed pocket on PSi. Rust on Engage. Weights on M1.

Never just take pictures from the angles that everyone can see when they hold the club, ball, shoe etc. Surprise them. Take a few minutes to look at the product and discover new ideas.

Get close.

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.58.2

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.59.0

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.59.3

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.59.4

Skjermbilde%202016-01-08%20kl.%2002.58.4

This post everyone

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• SPY VIP

Here's one just to get ya'll thinking about what you can actually pull off.

Backlighting red I shoved a light into a red vase, front light iPad on 100% blue. Turned of rest of lights and shot on phone in auto.

Dreaming of a galaxy far far away... The Hot Topic Rey exclusive with goggles. #theforceawakens

A photo posted by Dan Mann (@golfspymbp) on

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

This guy has shot for EVERY golf company in the industry.  Both in the past and present.  Amazing stories.  One of my favorite days was spent at his studio talkin shop.

And he is pretty well known in the beer world as well.

Talented fella that you guys might find interest in.

Here are some shots at his place.  Doesn't show it well, but trust me it was incredible.

I am impressed by the equipment. Don't know anything about it I am doing good for me learning my G-6 camera. But I was also impressed by his decal collection on his tool boxes and the various flags and signs on the walls. I am nutsy over that sort of thing

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived