PING Replace The G30 - Surprised?

So PING is releasing an upgrade to the G30 driver.   Does  this surprise you?  It's been 18 months...

PING doesn't generally release a new driver just to release a new driver.  I may have been in the minority in that I was not a fan of the G30 at all...but the G? I liked it a lot when we were there...

One never knows...

Here's the link -- check it out and report back!

http://www.mygolfspy.com/ping-g-driver/

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I like the looks of it. I've become a bit deaf to technology speak and marketing. Not opposed to the idea of it replacing my G25.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

The last club I'm likely to change right now is driver, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't give it a try!

ANYTHING that might get me more yards and keep me in the short grass off the tee, is worth considering.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I dont usually like the ping driver but man these look good. I recently picked up a g20 and was striping it on the simulator. Brought in my own club and it was going toe to toe with it. I can only imagine this one. 

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I like that Ping has had a pretty long time between new clubs for the most part. Also they tend to have noticeable upgrades when they do release new products. I'm not in the market for a new driver but I still want to give this a few swings and see how it feels.

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

18 months is a good Amount of time between drivers, even though it's about 6-8 months faster than their typical cycle.

To mention what a few other mentioned, if you're not in the upper echelon of speed, will you really notice the difference of 1 mph ball speed ( would you even if you were?)

Also, I agree that it does look like a Batman driver. The top looks too busy for me based on the pics, but it'd give it a swing.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Not suprised. Think if you leave a driver out there for too long you will see a bit of fatigue. Got to change it every two years or less. Just to keep up with the other names.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

The G30 was a great driver but they needed a new driver release. With the M1 and Cobra releases they were not selling any more. I am very interested to see how this one performs. I am worried all the designs on the top are going to turn people off. I personally don't care but there are some people that won't like that look.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I've honestly only hit 2 ping drivers before in my life, the original rapture and the g20. The rapture felt really solid but it also had a pured aftermarket shaft so I don't know how much was the head and how much was the shaft. The g20 didn't feel all that special to me. Didn't get any distance gains from it and couldn't do anything that my Nike couldn't so it never made any progress towards the checkout. Maybe this one might change that though and be only the second ping to ever get in the bag. If I get around to it I'll try it sometime and let y'all know how it goes.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I've posted elsewhere that I'm going to consider a new fitter driver this spring. Like Ethan I also have and played a Ping Rapture and loved it. It was designated as a 10.5* loft but was actually 10* as measure later on by my fitter. When I purchased the driver a friend of mine with a Ping account ordered it for me. Prior to ordering I did a basic fitting at a local shop. The shaft was a stock Ping S shaft that was supposedly "pured" by Ping. Maybe, maybe not. But that was the idea anyway. As far as aerodynamics in a driver head are concerned I'm not much of a believer in all that. I just don't think we can really tell any noticeable effect or increase in speed with any so-called aerodynamic channels, ridges, etc. It would be like adding Winglets to the driver and claiming you'll save energy swinging. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've posted elsewhere that I'm going to consider a new fitter driver this spring. Like Ethan I also have and played a Ping Rapture and loved it. It was designated as a 10.5* loft but was actually 10* as measure later on by my fitter. When I purchased the driver a friend of mine with a Ping account ordered it for me. Prior to ordering I did a basic fitting at a local shop. The shaft was a stock Ping S shaft that was supposedly "pured" by Ping. Maybe, maybe not. But that was the idea anyway. As far as aerodynamics in a driver head are concerned I'm not much of a believer in all that. I just don't think we can really tell any noticeable effect or increase in speed with any so-called aerodynamic channels, ridges, etc. It would be like adding Winglets to the driver and claiming you'll save energy swinging. LOL

I think your right, if you do see any speed gains I doubt they'd be substantial enough to mean much if any distance gains. I don't take too much of what the companies say about their gear to heart, I'd rather test it myself and decide from actual results

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Archived