TESTERS WANTED! ×

Looking for suggestions for courses for tournaments......

Bogey in The Woods

Hello MGS community.

I been out of sight for a while. New baby and new job have kept me really tied up. Yet I am back and ready to get my golf on this year. I have a lot of catching up to do with many of you and many new faces to meet as well. 

As some of you may remember, I was involved with the National Desert Storm War Memorial Benefit Golf Tournament that was held last September here in Austin. It was a good time and great success. I was even fortunate enough to have a fellow MGS member come and take a playing spot that I couldn't fill due to my duties to the tournament. 

So apparently, we were so successful that the "national boys" are taking our format nationwide for 2016. So we have a tentative list of cities and months that will have tournaments held in them. To that end, I now appeal to the widest base of golfing knowledge I know of to get suggestions. I have have cities and months. What I don't have is local course knowledge. I need input on where you golfing experts think a great place to hold a tournament would be. 

But there are caveats:

1. This isn't your dream course in these cities that I am looking for. For example, in April there will be events in Pheonix and Vegas. My inital reaction to those are obviously Both TPC's Summerlin and Scottsdale. Yet the fees to hold an event there are more than it would be possible to make by holding it there. And the goal is to raise money for the Memorial. 

2. The courses I AM looking for are decent quality, can handle at least 36 teams, and look like a course you would want to play. (Our first event course has standard greens fees in the 40-50 dollar range.)

here are the cities:

Phoenix

Las Vegas

New Orleans

St Louis

Los Angeles

Atlanta

Denver

Seattle

Pittsburgh

New York

Chicago

Washington DC 

Now while I am making no promises, I will do my best to make arrangements for any Veteran here at MGS to play for free in events that they can attend. Once I have dates, I will make them known and will try to fill and open, unsold spots with fellow MGS members to play for free. 

So lets hear your suggestions. 

IMG_2983.JPG

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Be nice if you could add Tampa to the list.....Thanks for doing this.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I only know the courses around Texas. I did play a charity tournament for the Tourrete's syndrome association at a beautiful course in the Houston area called The Woodlands Country Club that y'all might try if your looking for a Texas course. They were really receptive and there's plenty of places to stay around there. I wish I could be of more help but I've only been out of state 4 times and never for golf.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Atlanta area: Bear's Best in Suwanee (though it would likely require a larger entry fee). If it's a large field, Reynolds Plantation would be a good venue as they have multiple courses/holes. Chateau Elan is another that has 2 courses and is a nice place to play a tourney. Stone Mountain is a course that has multiple 18's as well and is nice. The last one is suggest is Echelon as it, too, is a fantastic course.

If you wanted to be a little further out (about 45 mins north of Atlanta)the private club in town is one of the nicest in the state with perfect A1 bent grass greens, and you could reserve it for a tournament. The instructor there, Scott Hamilton, has many many PGA pros and growing and the layout is fantastic for scrambles as it's very open, there's multiple par 3's with ideal close up holes and a couple long par 5's that are great for longest drive. And it's 7200 yards from the championship tees. I could put you in contact with someone there if that interests you. There's many many options.

I tell you something that'd be cool, book it at one that has a regular course but that also has an executive course and if you could get disabled veterans involved and have a par 3 tournament that's free for them on the executive course.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

If you are looking in Las Vegas there is TPC Las Vegas and Las Vegas CC that are more reasonable than Summerlin.  My experience with looking at tournament courses is to always call and set up a meeting to get the lay of the land.  There are a lot of courses that can be really flexible when the event is as worthy as this one.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

If you are looking in Las Vegas there is TPC Las Vegas and Las Vegas CC that are more reasonable than Summerlin.  My experience with looking at tournament courses is to always call and set up a meeting to get the lay of the land.  There are a lot of courses that can be really flexible when the event is as worthy as this one.

I'd also say an hour away is Coyote Springs. It's a great courrse and almost always open when I play it. I wouldn't doubt they'd have no problems playing a tournament.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

great info so far guys.  please keep it coming. setting up meetings at all the courses you guys are throwing out to see what can be done. 

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Got one for Phoenix yet? Check out Vistal GC; nice course, good people, reasonably priced, and no houses on it. They had a gal that was trying to qualify for the LPGA.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Got one for Phoenix yet? Check out Vistal GC; nice course, good people, reasonably priced, and no houses on it. They had a gal that was trying to qualify for the LPGA.

Just found out they closed. great lookin course though.

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

Just found out they closed. great lookin course though.

Well crap!  I thought I might make a trip down there this year.  Hard to find a course without houses and condos.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Be nice if you could add Tampa to the list.....Thanks for doing this.

Ditto

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

So far the board has decided to go after TPC Vegas. They are looking into Scottsdale. I have also offered up all other suggestions for courses you guys have given me (provided they are still open).

Keep em coming. We got lots of tournaments to hold and need homes for them. 

thanks 

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

Bogey-

Am I right in assuming that the course doesn't actually have to be located within the city? If not, is there a certain range you're trying to stay within?

I work as a firefighter in D.C. There are a few courses in the city, but nothing worthwhile. Plenty of great ones outside it that I can recommend.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

In Denver, look up Common Ground and Green Valley Ranch.  Neither is $50 (more like 70), but they are decent courses that can handle tournaments, and depending on the tees, offer a good challenge for all.

www.commongroundgc.com

www.gvrgolf.com

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

So far the board has decided to go after TPC Vegas. They are looking into Scottsdale. I have also offered up all other suggestions for courses you guys have given me (provided they are still open).

thanks 

Solid choice right there.  My General Counsel in LV lives on the course and I have played it a few times.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

thanks 

TPC Las Vegas would be great!  I've played the course when I've stayed at the JW Marriott.  It's a two hour plane trip; I'd go!

So many good courses in Scottsdale, hard to choose, but if you stick with the JW Marriott, the two courses at Wildfire GC, the Palmer course and the Faldo course are both wonderful.  Also up in N. Scottsdale are the Troon courses.  More reasonably priced south of Scottsdale in Chandler is Ocotillo GC, another Troon Golf course.  Of course there is TPC Scottsdale; played it several times.

Archived