TESTERS WANTED! ×

New PING G FW's, Hybrids and Crossovers

So have you had the chance to read up on the new PING Fairway woods, hybrids and crossovers?

Some personal observations --

I've never found a hybrid I couldn't hook off the planet, and the new G hybrid fits that mold...although they are easy to hit and when I did keep the face open I really liked the ball flight.

My favorite club of the trip was the Stretch 3 Fairway wood...that thing was a friggin' mawnsta!  There's a VERY good chance one of those might find its way into the bag this year.  It was GREAT off the tee and remarkably easy to hit off the deck.  I had gamed a Cally 2Deep and while I loved it off the tee, hitting it off the deck was an adventure.  This guy was FUN to hit!

stretch-fix.png

The other star of the show was the Crossover - as T says, it's NOT a driving iron.  PING made sure to tell us that several times -- it's NOT a driving iron.  You know what? It's not -- it can be, but its pretty easy to hit off the turf.  For guys like me who hook hybrids to Hoboken, it's an intriguing alternatives.

PING-Crossover-103.jpg

Check the links for the blog posts, and report back with your thoughts....

PING G FW Woods

PING G Hybrids

PING G Crossovers

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The crossover looks nice but I don't see myself switching to it from my 3 iron

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Five hybrids from 17 to 30º for those who enjoy hitting them.

I like the look of the crossovers even more, except that they labeled 1, 2, and 3-irons as 3, 4, and 5-irons. I won't try them just for that.

I don't know what's wrong with just stamping the lofts like on my Epon or the old Mizuno Fli-Hi irons. Or the Hogan FW-15hi.

Hogan is evolving into the only company that's making any effort to pitch me.

I didn't think Ping would come out with a driving iron. Woops.... I mean hybrid iron, er... crossover. Whatever that thing is. Like the man on the corner said... "It's not a rug or a toupie. It's my real hair".  

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I didn't think Ping would come out with a driving iron. Woops.... I mean hybrid iron, er... crossover. Whatever that thing is. Like the man on the corner said... "It's not a rug or a toupie. It's my real hair".

They had a true driving iron come out a couple seasons ago

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I like the look of the crossovers even more, except that they labeled 1, 2, and 3-irons as 3, 4, and 5-irons. I won't try them just for that.

You're getting dangerously close to "Get Off My Grass" territory Nifty!!!   :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

BTW - was in your neck of the woods yesterday/today - with wife, sister-in-law & Mother-in-law in Hampton, NH.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Let's be serious - it's a driving iron.

Or not.... ^_^

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

It's a driving iron. Ping knows we're not stupid :)

My theory; Ping makes a pretty terrible driving iron - Rapture. They want to make a new one. Golfers would go "That first one was terrible, this is probably just 99% the same awful club". Solution - fix it up a little and create a new word or club category. This club has no history. 

It's a driving iron. Ping knows we're not stupid :)

My theory; Ping makes a pretty terrible driving iron - Rapture. They want to make a new one. Golfers would go "That first one was terrible, this is probably just 99% the same awful club". Solution - fix it up a little and create a new word or club category. This club has no history.

Kinda like the mini driver so tmag didn't look like it was copying cally

Ditto with Kenny, not sure what it'd replace, especially at that price. I could get 2-3 2015 clubs for that pricing and you know there's never any applicable discounts.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I don't know what's wrong with just stamping the lofts like on my Epon or the old Mizuno Fli-Hi irons. Or the Hogan FW-15hi.

Hogan is evolving into the only company that's making any effort to pitch me.

As long as I can rely on a club, I know how far it's going to go, and it does it's job filling a gap in my bag, I could care less what it says on the bottom of it.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I don't see a place in my bag for it.

Mine either nor would the stretch 3 wood. What most players need are hybrids and more lofted fairway woods. How about a stretch 5 wood, that's what I need in my bag.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Agree Jbill8802!  Course conditions dictate what iron you use, who cares whats stamped on the bottom. 

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• 2 months later...

I hate to say this but I actually hate the driver.I have hit it in the Sim and at a demo day. It sounds awful. It feels awful (goes hand in hand with sound). I spun it like crazy. Right next door the Cobra LTD was hands down better. 

As far as the crossover- Its ugly but like most PING irons it just works. It looks like they grabbed a G20 filled in the cavity took out some offset and said have fun!

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I hate to say this but I actually hate the driver.I have hit it in the Sim and at a demo day. It sounds awful. It feels awful (goes hand in hand with sound). I spun it like crazy. Right next door the Cobra LTD was hands down better. 

As far as the crossover- Its ugly but like most PING irons it just works. It looks like they grabbed a G20 filled in the cavity took out some offset and said have fun!

Had the chance to hit the Crossover at Ping last December -- like most of the G line, I really liked it.  As stated earlier and in other threads - there's not a hybrid made that I can't hook off the planet, but this thing was decidedly easier to hit straight and was mighty long.  

When I'm swinging well I keep the FG Tour V4 utility 2 and 4 in the bag -- awesome sticks, but I think the Crossover's are a good bit more forgiving.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived