TESTERS WANTED! ×

shaft advice please

lshines

You need to demo one with the shaft you like in it first off. Any shaft will react differently on trajectory with different players because of swing speed or the plane of the swing. You will have to see how it feels and hits for you. If you find one you like on the demo and hit well get their techie to run the frequency numbers on it and go from there. I am BIG proponent of properly fit and blueprinted clubs. Mass produced clubs from all the companies will be off some and sometimes a whole lot on lofts and lies and especially shaft frequencies.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

What Stu said. Go try them out. Everyone is different.

That being said, I gamed the MP-54s this past season with Nippon N.S. Pro 1150 shafts and really enjoyed them.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I've never games a Nippon, but they are I known as one of the orrmier makers of lightweight shafts. As the name would suggest, these come in at around 95 grams.

http://nipponshaft.com/n-s-pro-950gh/

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Stick with Stu on this one.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've hit them and they are a solid lightweight steel shaft. But why, did you have a shaft optimizer session and that's what it suggested? Remember that those suggest starting points. With a higher handicap I would suggest a lesson or two, some suggestions from the teacher and then a fitter. I'm also wondering why the MP 54s, why not the JPX line?

Some lessons, a little work and a proper fitting in the right equipment for your game could get your handicap way down. Good luck and enjoy!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Something else on shafts that may sound complicated if I do not present it correctly here

The same shaft will react differently with different club head designs and brands. This can be due to different overall weight of the 2 heads and for flex on the bottom end it can be different due to overall COG on the heads. I am assuming we are using an universal adaptor and the exact same shaft in two different club heads. The frequency numbers on the tuner will show it. there can also be different reactions with in a same brand of club. An very extreme example would be the difference of say a Mizuno MP-33 head and a Mizuno MP-67 head. The 67 has a heck of a lot lower COG than a 33 does. Say this same hypothetical shaft hits the ball at a medium or high trajectory in the 33 it will absolutely balloon in the 67 and the frequency and flex numbers will be the difference between night and day. I hope I explained that well because I have a problem sometimes explaining things written or oral where people can understand

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

if you are a 30+ Hcp, you should stick with the Max Game Improvement irons. If you want to go Mizuno, try try the JPX-EZ line. They are designed to be forgiving and helps get the ball up quickly. Otherwise, try the TMAG Aeroburners, Callaway Big Berthas, Powerbilt Air Force One, etc. Play them for a year or so, until you can drop your Hcap to 12 or below before going MP 54's.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

The MP-54s might be a good for his game and from what I have heard the Nippon shafts are nice, but we have no idea if they fit his swing.

I think that without any information on Ishines game other that the posted 30+ hcp, we can't be much help.  Big Stu has the right information for what we know.  Maybe Ishines can give a little better insight to his game.

Just as an example; in my early days of golf about 24 years ago, I could hit irons pretty well, but I sliced the ball off the tee and had "hands of stone" (according to the local pro) around the green; hence my 24 hcp.  So, Ishines 30+ may not be an indicator that super game improvement irons are necessary, but a series of lessons may be a better investment.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The MP-54s might be a good for his game and from what I have heard the Nippon shafts are nice, but we have no idea if they fit his swing.

I think that without any information on Ishines game other that the posted 30+ hcp, we can't be much help.  Big Stu has the right information for what we know.  Maybe Ishines can give a little better insight to his game.

Just as an example; in my early days of golf about 24 years ago, I could hit irons pretty well, but I sliced the ball off the tee and had "hands of stone" (according to the local pro) around the green; hence my 24 hcp.  So, Ishines 30+ may not be an indicator that super game improvement irons are necessary, but a series of lessons may be a better investment.

To reinforce your statement I will add it may be all in the way you golf your ball around the course too

G

I will give you my background with them. I have played the true temper xp95 which is in the similar weight and reported flight so i would compare it to them. The Nippon shafts are well known for their smoothness. They are very well made and consistent.

Some people think they play soft to flex but that can be perceived because they are at a lower weight than most people who play dynamic golds in either R300 or S300, are accustomed to. Also compared to those two the tip is softer, also the butt of the shaft is softer. I felt these had a good pronounced kick and high flight.

Lowest to highest in flight theoretically your mileage may vary:

Dynamic gold - kbs c-tapers - project x (non flighted) - kbs TOUR - Nippon 950.

Like others have said get fit. Mizuno even has the shaft optimizer that looks at your transition and release pattern and recommends a shaft based on those numbers. And they have a TON of free shafts.

Way I see it is a "game improvement" won't help you more than any iron- when you make a bad swing. It might be further offline from ball speed retention but it wont turn a hook into a slice

Its your money so might as well play something you enjoy right?

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

http://media.titleist.com/images/titleist/files/US/Titleist-Custom-Club-Options/?_ga=1.259829706.1148644663.1442087402

Copy and paste the above link to Titleist's shaft comparison charts for irons p.9. Note that, all other variables being equal, the NS950 GH shaft is in the high launch, high spin section. My personal experience with Nippon Steel shafts is they are low-kickpoint, high launch, smooth shafts, ideal if you want added height.

Sorry high fade - hit the wrong button on my phone.

"Ormier" is LG phone auto correct for Premier.

Hate that freaking phone

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Ha!  I even googled it.  Thought you were just a lot smarter than me.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Ha!  I even googled it.  Thought you were just a lot smarter than me.

We've met - how could you possibly think that????  :lol:  :lol:

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 2 weeks later...

What works for me might not work for you. I could tell you my experience with their shaft but it won't help you. Mizuno has the shaft optimizer available at pretty much every retailer in the country. I'd go hit them there and get a baseline of a few shafts to check out. Also I'd look at the Super GI irons while you're there. No need to make the game harder as a 30. In other words, go get fit by a professional fitter.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived