Optimal numbers for iron

superduper

Let me come this guy's defense here a bit....

A while back, I carried a 2I.  I absolutely loved that club.  I couldn't hit / didn't like to hit hybrids.  So maybe he's just grown attached to it.  Reading the thread, I wanted to scream GET A HYBRID!!!  But one size does not fit all.  I say, work with a fitter or pro to get the right shaft that will help you accomplish what you want (spin, launch, etc)

• Like 1

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

really....  because these people are custom fitted by their own sponsor for free?  with unlimited choice of free custom shafts?  your mindset, how can this hacker even hit a 2 iron decently?  well, I know my own swing more than you do and I have had no problem so far with my 2 iron.  Only thinking extra distance couldn't hurt. but it's a joke if you think most people can NOT hit a 2 iron.    

I sent a clubfitter a quick question on ebay about an 11.5 degree driver a long time ago?  his answer was "why do you need a loft that much?"  his mindset, everybody has a 95 mph swing speed and decent swing so nobody would need a 11.5 degree driver.  and his mindset could hurt his sales...   

like reciting "hitting sand wedge 30 times every morning"?   swing faster is not the answer, it's more like a joke... :)  

Yes the swing SW 30 times every morning was a joke based on your other thread.

In all seriousness though the link I put to the trajectory optimizer should give you what you are looking for.  You can input your ball speed and then play with different launch and spin numbers to get the desired (optimal) result.

From there it's up to you on what changes you need to make to get those results.  Could be a swing change, could be a shaft change but if you play around with the launch and spin you can figure out if you are maximizing the potential of your current swing speed.

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Just checked out that flightscope link.  I compared it to the numbers from last year's trackman session.  By my math, it is 98-99% accurate.  And fun!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Just checked out that flightscope link.  I compared it to the numbers from last year's trackman session.  By my math, it is 98-99% accurate.  And fun!

80% of the time it works 100% of the time!

• Like 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Better change that to delusional.

Better change that to delusional.

you are officially become a useless hole.  I will ignore all your previous feedback now.  garbage....   and what ever happened to your forum called "the sand trap"?  are you the same moderator?  nobody comes anymore and you mingle here?  lots of steroid "jerks"....

If you keep answering with your own "feeling" rather than facts, people will go away from your "feedbacks"..... 

Why? you cannot hit a 2 iron? and all the people in world with a 2 iron is "delusional"?  

better change that to "good ball striking"....

now i think I made a mistake of asking optimal numbers for a 2 iron because nobody here can hit a 2 iron...  

you are officially become a useless hole.  I will ignore all your previous feedback now.  garbage....   and what ever happened to your forum called "the sand trap"?  are you the same moderator?  nobody comes anymore and you mingle here?  lots of steroid "jerks"....

If you keep answering with your own "feeling" rather than facts, people will go away from your "feedbacks"..... 

Why? you cannot hit a 2 iron? and all the people in world with a 2 iron is "delusional"?  

better change that to "good ball striking"....

now i think I made a mistake of asking optimal numbers for a 2 iron because nobody here can hit a 2 iron...  

Point of order....

I take time out my hectic schedule to contribute to the forum because I feel I can contribute golf related insight regarding my experience, in particular with club fitting and club building. Ask a reasonable question and I'll give you a reasonable response.

It is only an opinion, but if you don't like or agree with the reply, then respond in kind with a structured and reasoned argument that makes sense - not with garbled dross like that above which makes you look like a classless yob and upholds the appearance of a delusional wannabe, especially considering the content of other threads you have started.

If you find any comments too upsetting, inappropriate or offensive, then report them to the moderators and/or the owners of this site.

Likewise, if anyone else finds any comments I have made inappropriate or offensive, I would ask the moderators to remove those as appropriate or at their discretion.

For the record, I have never written for or have any association with the Sandtrap. The only other website to which I have contributed to is GolfWrx, which is a matter of public record and you are free to google any info or any of my 10000 or so posts to your hearts content - you may even find the odd 2-iron or two in my bag. 

Finally, unless anyone has any further relevant questions regarding the content of this thread or the points raised or discussed, I will consider myself done.

Anybody wishing to receive advice or opinion in the future, please feel free to do so by posting (no PM's please), but also bear in mind the points made above.

Thank you.

• Like 3

Boys, play nice.

We have like no rules here, and we only step in when the only rule I have comes into play - and that rule is play nice.  

The thing that separates MGS from WRX and others is that our members respect each other and differing opinions are just that, differing opinions.

I value both you guys' participation and membership on MGS, and sincerely hope we can shake hands, move on and continue the work of making MyGolfSpy the best and most influential forum on the web.  To do that, we need both you guys as active and involved members.

Agreed?

• Like 4

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I would echo Barbajo here. Super duper has started some excellent threads no doubt because he has a uniques perspective on things. Jaskanski is a professional fitter and his opinions are invaluable and despite some comments here thoroughly fact based.

I love hyckymeyers little toy. He's shared that link with me before and I've used it for some LM sessions, it's very helpful. Super it will give you the answer to your question.

Okay it's time for my favorite TV program, UConn Husky basketball.

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

• 2 months later...

Boys, play nice.

We have like no rules here, and we only step in when the only rule I have comes into play - and that rule is play nice.  

The thing that separates MGS from WRX and others is that our members respect each other and differing opinions are just that, differing opinions.

I value both you guys' participation and membership on MGS, and sincerely hope we can shake hands, move on and continue the work of making MyGolfSpy the best and most influential forum on the web.  To do that, we need both you guys as active and involved members.

Agreed?

on the internet, assumptions are common mistakes.  We do not know the poster's gender and age and playing skills.   And I do know mr.J is a pro fitter and I think he has not seen anyone with a 2 iron until now. 

And I made a mistake of assuming Mr.J as somebody else because I've seen the same username in sandtrap.   And he was a tough mod (to everybody and not just me).... for that I apologize....

Just played with Maltby HDI last week (bought it last year).  To be honest it's a hybrid in the shape of an iron (yes referring the club as  a 2 iron is not accurate).  It's the easiest club to hit in the bag.  And the distance is the same as my 5 wood.   I play the club on a short par 4s (300 yards or a bit more) and on Par 5s (fairway shots).  I do not think 2 iron exists anymore.... they are just hybrids.  

on the internet, assumptions are common mistakes.  We do not know the poster's gender and age and playing skills.   And I do know mr.J is a pro fitter and I think he has not seen anyone with a 2 iron until now. 

And I made a mistake of assuming Mr.J as somebody else because I've seen the same username in sandtrap.   And he was a tough mod (to everybody and not just me).... for that I apologize....

Just played with Maltby HDI last week (bought it last year).  To be honest it's a hybrid in the shape of an iron (yes referring the club as  a 2 iron is not accurate).  It's the easiest club to hit in the bag.  And the distance is the same as my 5 wood.   I play the club on a short par 4s (300 yards or a bit more) and on Par 5s (fairway shots).  I do not think 2 iron exists anymore.... they are just hybrids.

I currently bag a 1i and 2i depending on the course. I played a blade 2i until last year. So yes they are still available.

And as for your other comments... Yes we actually do know most peoples skill and club set up bc they ACTUALLY TAKE THE TIME TO FILL OUT THEIR PROFILES. Not leave their handicap as 1 even though it's not 1.

Literally nothing that Jaskanski has said in this thread has been false. He's one of the more useful and knowledgeable fitters we have on this site. If you don't want his info then your shooting yourself in the foot.

Finally. If you want a 2i to be affective at your swingspeed and you want it to visually appear as a 2i but playable then get a Titleist 712u 2i with the lightest highest launching shaft you can get in it.

Good luck and update your profile. You'll find it beneficial.

• Like 2

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

I currently bag a 1i and 2i depending on the course. I played a blade 2i until last year. So yes they are still available.

And as for your other comments... Yes we actually do know most peoples skill and club set up bc they ACTUALLY TAKE THE TIME TO FILL OUT THEIR PROFILES. Not leave their handicap as 1 even though it's not 1.

Literally nothing that Jaskanski has said in this thread has been false. He's one of the more useful and knowledgeable fitters we have on this site. If you don't want his info then your shooting yourself in the foot.

Finally. If you want a 2i to be affective at your swingspeed and you want it to visually appear as a 2i but playable then get a Titleist 712u 2i with the lightest highest launching shaft you can get in it.

Good luck and update your profile. You'll find it beneficial.

it's useless, people lie on the net.... 300 yards drive.  110 driver swing speed....LOL! 

Anyway these data are accurate using a Flightscope @home with the maltby hdi:

Ball speed: 122 mph

LA: 19 degree

Backspin: 3300

smash factor: 1.45

swing speed: 84 mph (2 iron)

it says carry 184 yards and total distance 200 yards... which exactly I got on the course.   I carry driver, #2 HDI, 4-PW, SW and a putter.... simple bag. Handicap: 16!!

it's useless, people lie on the net.... 300 yards drive.  110 driver swing speed....LOL! 

Anyway these data are accurate using a Flightscope @home with the maltby hdi:

Ball speed: 122 mph

LA: 19 degree

Backspin: 3300

smash factor: 1.45

swing speed: 84 mph (2 iron)

it says carry 184 yards and total distance 200 yards... which exactly I got on the course.   I carry driver, #2 HDI, 4-PW, SW and a putter.... simple bag. Handicap: 16!!

If your lying AND trying to get gain knowledge then your only F-ing yourself. Why give some BS numbers while trying to find the right equipment for you? That makes no sense. Sure, some people lie but that just means they are stupid enough to do it and they gain nothing in the end. 

PS: thanks for the info but still update your profile

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

If your lying AND trying to get gain knowledge then your only F-ing yourself. Why give some BS numbers while trying to find the right equipment for you? That makes no sense. Sure, some people lie but that just means they are stupid enough to do it and they gain nothing in the end. 

PS: thanks for the info but still update your profile

I already mentioned my handicap.  What else do you need?  my address?? 

I already mentioned my handicap. What else do you need? my address??

Posting the information here isn't the same as updating your profile. I don't care about your address either, thanks. Plus I already gave you my suggestion.

Fyi there is nothing unrealistic about 300 yard drives or 110mph club head speed. And not everyone lies just bc they are online.

• Like 1