TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson FG Tour V5 Driver Launch Monitor Results

03trdblack

My goal was to get out and play today to give a full review of this driver on the course but the weather has been so cold and rainy that it hasn't been possible yet.  Instead I took the driver up to Golfsmith to get on their launch monitors and at least have some numbers to post.  It took me a little while to get warmed up since I haven't swung a club in a few weeks but overall the club performed extremely well for me.  I am very pleased with how low the spin stayed since I normally have a hard time getting below 3000 rpm's.

I usually swing around 100 mph and currently play to a 3.8 handicap.  My shot shape is pretty straight overally but I tend to favor a slight fade so my spin numbers are usually a little higher.  I was a little scattered with my impact position on the face as you can see from my picture but for not playing in so long, I wasn't too upset.

The driver shaft length was a little long (almost 46") and the swingweight was around D5.  I usually prefer no longer than 45" and a swingweight of D2.  The sound was a little hollow sounding but nothing obnoxious at all.  It may also have sounded differently because I was in the fitting area indoors.  

Overall my averages were:

Clubhead Speed:  100 mph
Ball Speed:  145.6 mph

Launch Angle:  14.7 degrees

Backspin: 2298 rpm

Total Spin: 2352 rpm

Total Carry: 250.2 yards

Total Distance: 274.19 yards

Offline: 5 Yards

Given these numbers I'm pretty excited to see what it does out on the course.  I'm sure using real golf balls my spin will decrease some compared to whatever they have in the fitting area.  Once I got home I shortened the shaft down to 45" and added a few grams of hot melt through the screw weight port.  This should help the sound quite a bit and gave me my desired swingweight after I cut it down.  

IMG_20160116_131950 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20160116_132050 (Medium).jpg

My bag is a revolving door!

Nice to see these numbers looks like a solid performer

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

My results have been very similar - the thing has been just plain solid for me and is desperately wants to find the fairway.  Agree with the sound - it's unique but not bad - it sorta reminds me of the first Callaway Alpha.  

Anxious to see how the hot melt treatment works for you.  Have you tried any of the different weights?  It came with the 7 gram installed and that's worked so well I haven't fiddled with it.  Maybe next week in Florida...

Thanks for posting!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

What shaft do you have in there? Definitely not a perfect fit but close, hopefully your adjustments make it work more efficiently for you.

I have only had the luxury of hitting this driver twice before the plastic adapter snapped. Need to revisit the head though because it sure looks great!

The shaft is the stock Fubuki Z 50 stiff flex. I haven't tried any other weights as I didn't receive any other than the stock 7 gram that was in the head.

Did you say the hosel adapter snapped on you??

My bag is a revolving door!

Archived